The secrets on how to make artwork of the Sam/Jack ship family thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jumble65 View Post
    What I need to know is, having downloaded lots of brushes from the sites posted here, how do I actually use them with Gimp?

Same applies to textures. Have downloaded some, but don't know what to do next.
    <snip>

Luvnjack I'm sure I saw you explain somewhere about how you put the texture over you new sig, but now I can't find it! Do you mind repeating it for me? Pretty Please?

Edit: Ok, SamJackShiplover did that far better than me!
    LOL! I had the same question as you, Jumble. I hope someone answers it soon!

I have my textures just saved like any other pic. For my "Kingdom of Eternal Optimism" sig, I did the following:

First, I downloaded the texture. I copied and pasted it as my background. Didn't make any changes to it at all. Then, I opened the fishing pic, and did the same. Copy, paste. Then, I made it b&w (color, hue&saturation, desaturate), and made it transparent (layer, transparency, color to alpha).
    After that, I just slapped on the text. Can't remember the exact name of the font right now.

Anyway, it's been a hit, even though I didn't do much!
    sigpic

Comment

Textures aren't saved in your programme like brushes. Just some random place.
      And yep, you can just use textures as background, or on top, or in the middle. Just play with layer styles of the texture, and your other layers as well.

Luvnjack: not doing much, but making it look good, is just the trick
      sigpic

Comment

I'm bad...I am the one asking the question and Lies has to solve it all...

*goes into a corner...being quiet*
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starlover1990 View Post

Wait a minute?

You were asking the question? Baddd Jann

Love ya anyway
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
            Wait a minute?

You were asking the question? Baddd Jann

Love ya anyway
            Yeah...I asked if there were Brushes in GIMP...coz I was looking at the program and found it weird...I keep it with Photoshop!

I'm bad I know(see the shipper thread )

Love ya too hon!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by luvnjack View Post

I have my textures just saved like any other pic. For my "Kingdom of Eternal Optimism" sig, I did the following:

First, I downloaded the texture. I copied and pasted it as my background. Didn't make any changes to it at all. Then, I opened the fishing pic, and did the same. Copy, paste. Then, I made it b&w (color, hue&saturation, desaturate), and made it transparent (layer, transparency, color to alpha).
              After that, I just slapped on the text. Can't remember the exact name of the font right now.

Thanks! It was the copy and paste bit I didn't get, but now I understand. Get to my age, you have to be told everything at least twice before it makes sense, Lol! I really like that sig, and like you say simple, but beautiful

Textures aren't saved in your programme like brushes. Just some random place.
              And yep, you can just use textures as background, or on top, or in the middle. Just play with layer styles of the texture, and your other layers as well.

Luvnjack: not doing much, but making it look good, is just the trick
              Exactly what I'm aiming for - simpe but effective

Comment

Originally posted by starlover1990 View Post

Well what do I have to say then I started this thread and haven't helped out too much either lol

If anything I started the confusion with the text brushes instead of fonts

and I am making lost icons as we speak, first time I did that and well it is working out okay I'll post after I am done with more

Comment

Originally posted by jumble65 View Post

What I need to know is, having downloaded lots of brushes from the sites posted here, how do I actually use them with Gimp?

Same applies to textures. Have downloaded some, but don't know what to do next.
                  On one of the links on the first page for brushes there were instructions on how to load them into gimp. I'll go hunt for it....

It was JT4L's post. Here's the link. Follow the instructions at the top for Gimp 2.2. The technical stuff further down basically says that if you have Gimp 2.4 (which all of you should have if you dl'd in the last few months) you can use photoshop brushes as well as gimp brushes

Jumble, I can't help you with your GIMP brush question. But the use of textures probably is the same in every programme.

1. Open the texture in GIMP
                  2. Select the whole texture (CTL A in photoshop)
                  3. Copy the texture (CTRL C?)
                  4. Go to your sig or whatever
                  5. Paste the texture (CTRL V). It should appear on a new layer, if not, make a new layer first and then paste
                  6. Play around with the layer modes (I guess GIMP has them too), and with the opacity.

Did that help?
                  The easiest way in Gimp to add a texture is to use the Open As Layers option in Edit. Click on that, find the file where you stored them, and when you click on open it puts it in your pic as a new layer. No need to open it separately then copy paste etc. I also use it for any pic I want to add.

Originally posted by luvnjack View Post

Can you explain the color to alpha thing for me? I read a tut on it and just didn't get it at all To get stuff transparent, I've been using Colours-Curves-Alpha and moving the line down the graph thingy...I suppose its a similar thing...
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
                    Well what do I have to say then I started this thread and haven't helped out too much either lol

If anything I started the confusion with the text brushes instead of fonts

and I am making lost icons as we speak, first time I did that and well it is working out okay I'll post after I am done with more
                    (((Huggles Eve))) I think this thread is fab! I've learned so much already! So if you feel like you've not helped out too much, think again!!!
                    sigpic

Comment

I made a WP using new a texture from a deviant art site and using the textbox the way you guys told me how It was sooooooo much quicker and easier! Thanks everyone!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Oma-1 View Post
                        On one of the links on the first page for brushes there were instructions on how to load them into gimp. I'll go hunt for it....

It was JT4L's post. Here's the link. Follow the instructions at the top for Gimp 2.2. The technical stuff further down basically says that if you have Gimp 2.4 (which all of you should have if you dl'd in the last few months) you can use photoshop brushes as well as gimp brushes

The easiest way in Gimp to add a texture is to use the Open As Layers option in Edit. Click on that, find the file where you stored them, and when you click on open it puts it in your pic as a new layer. No need to open it separately then copy paste etc. I also use it for any pic I want to add.
                        Thanks Oma. I've now started copying stuff like this into a file and putting labels on, so I don't have to keep searching the thread or asking questions that have already been answered

I made a WP using new a texture from a deviant art site and using the textbox the way you guys told me how It was sooooooo much quicker and easier! Thanks everyone!

Aaah! The POV kiss all misted up! That's lovely Oma

Comment

oooh I like...very nice blending on background...this one is gonna be saved!
                          sigpic

Comment

Can you explain the color to alpha thing for me? I read a tut on it and just didn't get it at all To get stuff transparent, I've been using Colours-Curves-Alpha and moving the line down the graph thingy...I suppose its a similar thing...
                            Thanks Oma!

Color to Alpha: Click on "Layer", then click on "transparency", then click on "color to alpha". That'll make it transparent.
                            sigpic

Comment

*Luci loves the thread*

sigpic

Comment

*Gasp!* Brushes! Look at all the pretty brushes I just installed in Gimp! *Happy dance*
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X