The secrets on how to make artwork of the Sam/Jack ship family thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Estrela View Post
    Thanks. It's nothing fancy. The hard part is cleaning up those season one pics.
    It's really hard to believe those are form S1. Care to do a tut on that clean-up job?

Comment

Originally posted by jumble View Post
      It's really hard to believe those are form S1. Care to do a tut on that clean-up job?
      Hmmm. Well I used different methods with each picture. I had to use a combination of things to get them purdy.

(I use PS CS3.) For most I started by duplicating my original layer and using different Noise filters on the duplicate- despeckle (several times), reduce noise and median, or a combination of more than one. Then I masked out the eyes, mouth and hair to bring back the clarity of those parts from the original layer underneath. Then I stampled the visible layer and used a high pass filter and used the blur and smudge features to smooth out different areas before putting that filtered layer on soft light. (I think.)

Once I had each layer cleaned to my liking, I blended the images on the sig using layer masks. Then I stamped the visible layers three times. For the layer in the middle I used a gaussian blur. This layer and the top one were set to soft light or screen depending on how dark the original image was. I also fiddled with the opacity of those top two layers too.

Gosh I hope that makes sense. If not, please ask and I'll try to give more details.

Does that help?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fainne View Post
        pretty artworks everyone! i just love these McGyver arts! and everything else too

here's something from my latest addiction: Dr. Carlisle Cullen from Twilight
        http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...lislec3b20.jpg
        Sorry I missed this. I guess I need to watch Twillight since I have no idea who this is. But I sure like this new signature style you've developed. Nice!
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks I know how to do a lot of those things, but woodn't have thought to combine so many of them

Comment

Wonderful!!!

One more. Just because.
            http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/o...a/Kawalsky.jpg
            Kawalski! Love it. He's one of the most underappreciated SG characters...

Here are a few SG icons!

I'm learning... bear with me
            Too cool for a signature.

Comment

Wonderful!!!

One more. Just because.
              http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/o...a/Kawalsky.jpg
              Kawalsky!!! I love him!!! Awesome!

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
              Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
              Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Sorry I missed this. I guess I need to watch Twillight since I have no idea who this is. But I sure like this new signature style you've developed. Nice!
                thank you
                Originally posted by hbt123 View Post
                Kawalski! Love it. He's one of the most underappreciated SG characters...
                so true wow, these look awesome. the colours especially in the first one are great!

Comment

i miss kawalsky he was a nice guy even just for 2 episodes he was great!

Edit : it is 5am here and i just can't sleep
                  sigpic

Comment

I'll be posting the Challenge entries at about 8pm tonight, so please make sure you've sent yours by then

Comment

Estrela - That's a fantastic job on cleaning up those caps! I've bookmarked your tut for when I have time to play Nice sig too

Fainne - I love your Carlisle sig I'm sooooo glad he's old enough for me to thunk

Rose - You're doing a great job with the icons I love the colouring on the first one too. Oooh and I like the way you've cropped Jack and the background on the last one
                      sigpic

Comment

Here's the tut for the last wallpaper. It's so simple it's hardly worth doing a tut, but the textures and pic are definitely worth posting

Texture 1: Texture 2:

Pic:

Start with a black background.

Erase the background off the pic and paste into WP.

Add the text: live through the storm - Poor Richard / take hold of your heart - Lainie Day (I think I got them both from DaFont)

Open texture 1 in a new layer, set to grain merge 80%

Copy the pic layer and set to soft light, 65%

Open texture 2 in a new layer. Change the colour balance to Yellow/Green 80. Then using Hue Saturation, lightness - 20, saturation -50. Set the layer to colour at 30%. Erase the parts over Sam & Jack.

And that's it
                        sigpic

Comment

Blacky, here'S the tut i promised for the colouring of Carlisle's eyes. hope it makes sense follow me
                          Originally posted by Oma-1 View Post

Fainne - I love your Carlisle sig I'm sooooo glad he's old enough for me to thunk
                          haha, thank you well he's 12 years older than me but who cares xD
                          Originally posted by Oma-1 View Post
                          Here's the tut for the last wallpaper. It's so simple it's hardly worth doing a tut, but the textures and pic are definitely worth posting

<snip>
                          that's a really nice tut thank you for sharing

Comment

Love every artwork, everyone!!!
                            Thanks for the tut, Oma! *snurches textures*

Originally posted by Fainne View Post
                            Blacky, here'S the tut i promised for the colouring of Carlisle's eyes. hope it makes sense follow me
                            Fainne, i love ya! I wish i can green ya I've never used color adjustment, that'll be interesting
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blacky Kitten View Post

Fainne, i love ya! I wish i can green ya I've never used color adjustment, that'll be interesting
                              you're welcome. i'm looking forward to see your result

Comment

Some more icons i've made yesterday

Last edited by Blacky Kitten; 01 May 2009, 03:44 AM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X