Shore Leave 28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Token
    How many people attend Shore Leave? How are seats decided for the panels? How is Baltimore in July? Any encouragement from vetern Shore Leavers? Is it too late to join the fun?
    According to the registration form, attendance is limited to 1750.

The seating for everything is first come, first served. No fair leaving a jacket on a seat and you're gone for hours. You get up, your seat is fair game.

The autographing is by badge number, so the earlier you purchase your ticket, the less time you have to wait around. The numbers are called in groups and there are people walking around the common areas announcing the numbers so you can go to the dealer room or get a bite to eat if your number is high. No penalty for getting in line after your number is called. Just don't wander too far away and miss the autographing completely.

I don't know how Baltimore is in July because I'm in the hotel for most of the con. According to this site, the average temperature in Baltimore for July is 77 degrees. You can do a google search if you want to play tourist while you're in the area.

Shore Leave is a real bargain if you consider $55 is getting you 2 autographs apiece from Amanda, Jamie and Connor. Some cons will charge $60 just for one of those autographs! And there's all the programming you can attend.

It's never too late to join the fun.

(oops, others were answering while I was typing up my answer).

My kind of guy:
    "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
    Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
    (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Originally posted by qksilver99
      I've only been to Farpoint cons I think. I can't remember if I've actually been to a Shore Leave or not (because I remember seeing Peter Jurasik at the Hunt Valley Hotel but I'm not sure which con and that was 98?99?).
      Peter was at Farpoint in 1999.

My kind of guy:
      "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
      Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog

Comment

What's the deal with seating and autographs? "Membership registration guarantees neither a seat in the main programming room nor an autograph."
        *THUNK*

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own."- Adam Savage

Cassidy- "Go ahead, Munch, rain on my parade."
        Munch- "I don't just want to rain on your parade, I want to blow up all the floats."

Comment

Originally posted by Space Monkey52
          What's the deal with seating and autographs? "Membership registration guarantees neither a seat in the main programming room nor an autograph."
          It's exactly what it says. It's a statement to cover themselves, just in case.

If the ballroom has no open seats, then there are no seats. The maximum capacity of the ballroom is 1200 people. The con takes some of that space for technical equipment. When the ballroom is divided, there's a small stage for the back room and that's left in place when the divider is removed, so that cuts down on a few more seats. There are monitors in the hallway outside the ballroom so if the room is really full you can watch one of them.

The con is assuming not every one of the 1750 attendees (if it's a sellout) is going to be sitting in the ballroom all at once. There are people who will leave when they aren't interested in someone. I expect after all these years, the con has an idea on how many people will show up for each guest.

A full ballroom has only happen to me once. That's when James Marsters, Spike on Buffy, was a guest. There were a ton of Buffy fans who had never been to a con before. Many were in line outside the ballroom before the doors opened and they sat in the seats all day waiting for James, even if they could care less about the other programming. This is not normal con behavior. I wanted to see some of the actors that came on before him but I couldn't because there were no seats. The con tried to help out by monitoring for empty seats and filling them from the line outside the ballroom. What was annoying was that they had to line snaking outside the hotel so you couldn't see the monitors if you were waiting for a seat.

As far as the autographs go, the most obvious reason is that the actor cancels.

If an actor has to leave because of their flight or they have an appointment, and there are people still in line, well, there isn't much the con can do about that. They try their best to estimate how long it takes to go thru an autograph line.

- Some actors may talk to their fans a bit longer that expected and the line slows down despite the best efforts of the people monitoring the line. Then, oh my, gotta catch that plane. But the con is very good in hurrying the actor along if needed. They know the actor doesn't want disappointed fans. And the actors are smart enough to speed it up if told to.
          - Or say that You have to leave before the autograph line starts on Sunday. The con can't make special arrangements just for you.
          - Or very rarely, the thing you want autographed is not something the actor wants to sign.
          - Or you missed the autograph line because you were wandering around and not paying attention.
          - Or you got up late and didn't realize the autograph time had changed and you missed it.

So, even though you paid your $55, you'll miss out on that autograph. You can't hold the con responsible for those kinds of things. That may sound obvious, but I've seen people rant and complain or even cry about not getting an autograph when the con was clearly not to blame.

The con makes every effort to make the fans happy. As I said before, look at what they're doing for the group photo request for GateWorld fans discussed earlier in this thread.

I am, of course, just speaking from personal experience.

My kind of guy:

Comment

I'm just wondering if I go, what I'll have to do to get a seat, especially when AT is onstage. I was also trying to find out if the autographs were as rushed as they are at Creation cons.
            *THUNK*

Munch- "I don't just want to rain on your parade, I want to blow up all the floats."

Comment

I'm just wondering if I go, what I'll have to do to get a seat, especially when AT is onstage. I was also trying to find out if the autographs were as rushed as they are at Creation cons.
              Depends where she is in the Q&A line-up. If she's last you'd better expect to sit thru the other 2 biggies. If she's first get there maybe an hour early. Or team up with someone to alternate watch seats.

Suse
              Last edited by suse; 06 April 2006, 07:23 PM.
              sigpic
              Mourning Sanctuary.
              Thanks for the good times!

Comment

At Gatecon last year they would kick people out so you couldn't do that. They won't do that at this con?
                *THUNK*

Comment

At Gatecon last year they would kick people out so you couldn't do that. They won't do that at this con?

They haven't before. Though I've missed the last 2 years. If it's a case of one person saving one or two seats verses 15 seats... maybe. <shrug> I've done it.

Suse
                  sigpic
                  Mourning Sanctuary.
                  Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse
                    They haven't before. Though I've missed the last 2 years. If it's a case of one person saving one or two seats verses 15 seats... maybe. <shrug> I've done it.

Suse
                    I'll try to save 14 then.

Comment

Originally posted by qksilver99
                      Hotel info is here.

http://shore-leave.com/hotel.htm#alternate_hotels

It specifically mentions that Shuttle service will be available during the convention for the Embassy Suites Hotel, so you might want to think of that rather than walking.
                      I called the Hunt Valley Hotel when I originally booked my room at the Marriot Courtyard and they told me that their shuttle will take you back and forth between Hunt Valley Inn and the Courtyard as well.

Also, I'm not sure how much the rooms are running now, but when I booked our room it was $99 a night.
                      Last edited by ForeverSg1; 06 April 2006, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652
                        According to the registration form, attendance is limited to 1750.

The seating for everything is first come, first served. No fair leaving a jacket on a seat and you're gone for hours. You get up, your seat is fair game.

The autographing is by badge number, so the earlier you purchase your ticket, the less time you have to wait around. The numbers are called in groups and there are people walking around the common areas announcing the numbers so you can go to the dealer room or get a bite to eat if your number is high. No penalty for getting in line after your number is called. Just don't wander too far away and miss the autographing completely.

I don't know how Baltimore is in July because I'm in the hotel for most of the con. According to this site, the average temperature in Baltimore for July is 77 degrees. You can do a google search if you want to play tourist while you're in the area.

Shore Leave is a real bargain if you consider $55 is getting you 2 autographs apiece from Amanda, Jamie and Connor. Some cons will charge $60 just for one of those autographs! And there's all the programming you can attend.

It's never too late to join the fun.

(oops, others were answering while I was typing up my answer).
                        Just a quick question here so I don't misinterpret anything. Are are registration numbers based upon when we originally purchased our weekend passes or is there a registration process at the actual con event?

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                          Are are registration numbers based upon when we originally purchased our weekend passes or is there a registration process at the actual con event?
                          The numbers are based on when your purchase your ticket. So the earlier you buy, the lower your number, and the sooner you can get your autographs.

If you pre-register, you just have to stand in line to pick up your badge and program book. Bring an id and your confirmation letter.

There's another line for people buying tickets at the con. These people will have the highest badge numbers.

More info at the Shore Leave Policies page.

My kind of guy:

Comment

Any idea how many tickets might have been sold by now?
                            *THUNK*

Comment

Hey, peeps. Check out my very first siggie!!!!!! I posted it here because it's where most of my friends frequent.

Rachel (veryangrystargatefan)

P.S.- Less than 3 months remaining until Shore Leave!!!!!

This is me sitting on the Stargate Blanket I made. Stargate #1.

Please spread the love. Help a fellow GWer. Click this thread link! http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=33123

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652
                                The numbers are based on when your purchase your ticket. So the earlier you buy, the lower your number, and the sooner you can get your autographs.

If you pre-register, you just have to stand in line to pick up your badge and program book. Bring an id and your confirmation letter.

There's another line for people buying tickets at the con. These people will have the highest badge numbers.

More info at the Shore Leave Policies page.
                                So pre-registration is still numbered? It's not based on when you check-in?

... greaaaaaaat...

Comment

Working...
                                X