GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    well, i'm gonna give them a day or three, and then i'll call visa and say that the charge is bogus and yeah, take that danged finance charge off.

I wish the ren had a 800 number, but everything goes through marriott, so i can't talk directly to the hotel itself without making an international call

I may try again tomorrow during the day, or monday, when there's no excuse to not talk to someone. It was also 7pm my time, to wee hours there.
    Which might account for 'forwarding this to a supervisor', there may have been no one to talk to that had the authority to deal with it.

it's just frustrating and expensive. That's over 450 dollars they're overcharging me.
    That's a heck of a lot of money to be over charged and collecting finance charges on. I'd at least call visa right away and let them know it's in dispute so they stop accruing the finance charges on it. Yeah, calling during their normal business hours might give you a better chance at getting a supervisor to talk to, although they did have night managers on staff and they should've been able to help! Shouldn't have to wait, I'd call Saturday, hey guess that's today...gotta get to bed! Night! Hope this gets resolved quickly for you Sky. These types of things always where on me.
    sigpic

otoole/Erin

Comment

Please can ANYONE who has been incorrectly charged for thier rooms contact me via e-mail with the details so I cna raise it with our event Manager at the site. Please try and sort it out yourself through your CC company and the hotel reservations people as they are the best people to help you in each individual case, but I really really need to know when stuff like this has gone wrong so it doesn't again.

Absolutly insist they refund you the finance charges as well. you should only have been billed for the rooms you had at the rate you had agreed. I know they have had issues with thier computer system but that is NO excuse for charging more than you agreed to pay when you checked out.

Please include:
      Name room booked under and the reservation number Room type, Nights stayed, rate aggreed.
      What your actual checkout bill said and what you are also charged.

e-mail to [email protected] please with subject room charging problem and you name. I'll make a list....

Hugs
      Becks

Comment

Originally posted by becky_preen View Post
        Well, having been falsely accused in the past of being a nazi, a prude, and a mealy mouthed chicken s*** I can assure you that announcing a Jaffa sucking contest in the lobby will be a breeze.
        Shame they don't do strawberry ones though... I do like strawberry cream choccies... I just wish they did them more with milk chocolate than dark. but hey the strawberry makes up for it. Oddly though I actually don't like strawberries, just strawberry flavoured stuff... But I digress... As long as there's not peanuts involved, I'm in. At least for a sneak peek tasting session as I probably will be too busy with my attempt at world domination... I mean duties as Director of Operations... So will have to leave the main festivities to you guys... Please don't forget my macademias though...
        Hugs
        Becks
        Macadamia's on the list of things to pack...white or milk chocolate...never mind, I'll get both!...Jaffa's also on list...as are chocolate penguins...do you guys want more chocolate penguins???
        As for strawberries...I love strawberries...I love strawberry yoghurt, ice cream and jam...but can't drink strawberry flavoured milk...makes me ill...go figure!
        As for the horrible name calling...I'm sorry that some people just can't hold their tongues...just know that we love ya Becky...how rude!
        And I did My Hubby is a Scot, an ice hockey playing/refereeing/stato recording Scot.
        He wore a Kilt for our wedding which we went to Edinburgh to have him measured up for... his Kilt actually cost more than my wedding dress!!!!!
        And nothing is worn beneath the kit of a true Scotsman.... It's all in perfect working order.....

Becks
        Oh tell me about it...my hubby's maternal family is Scottish...you know come to think of it...we're all mongrels...my family is a mix of German, French and Polish...and hubby's family is a mix of Dutch, English and Scottish...but when we have a family wedding the uncles and hubby get their kilts out and grow beards...it's actually quite entertaining...except I know that hubby and one of the uncles don't go commando...but I do know that one does...and boy that's an image I'd rather forget!!!
        Spoiler:
        has anyone else had any problems with the hotel? Because i just got my CC bill today and there's an extra 225 pounds, plus finance charges, on top of the 368 pounds for the room. I called them but all i could do was get a 'i'll forward this to the supervisor to talk to the facility and we'll get back with you in 3-5 business days'
        Originally posted by Erin13 View Post
        I had problems with overcharging 120 pounds. They straightened it out quickly. When they tried to say 'I'll forward to the supervisor', I told them I'd like to talk to the supervisor 'now please'....The supervisor came right on and I politely discussed the problem and they fixed it. I'd request that they payback the finance charges as well. Doesn't hurt to ask. It's their error.

Just thought I should ask...can you pay with cash?? I would hate to get a surprise like that on my credit card bill...what a right royal pain in the mikta!!
        Hope you sort it out soon Sky!
        "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
        Hug Your Loved Ones!!
        ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam View Post
          PengYn did...but she got it straightened out. She can tell ya about it when she wakes up.......and it's Pengyn so that will be a while....so not a morning person
          Pfft. Don't know what you're talking about.

Now.. good afternoon everyone

has anyone else had any problems with the hotel? Because i just got my CC bill today and there's an extra 225 pounds, plus finance charges, on top of the 368 pounds for the room. I called them but all i could do was get a 'i'll forward this to the supervisor to talk to the facility and we'll get back with you in 3-5 business days'
          Ahh yes, the Ren. Well my story adds a twist of drama to the problem..

On the Tuesday evening (after Gabit) I was puzzled by the fact that I couldn't draw money from my account. Now I know I'm poor.. but not to the extent where the atm starts shouting at you. When I got back from the Jack the Ripper tour I logged in online to find my entire account frozen. It was reading zero funds available.. even though at the same time it was showing me how much money I did have in my account. I spotted right away that there was something very screwy indeed with some of the charges. The Renaissance Hotel had frelled up my bill big time. How exactly they did it I'll never know, but I credit the mistake to whoever checked me in. The woman at the counter asked for my Visa and said "I need to block funds from your account". I asked her to explain this twice because I have never heard a hotel use this particular turn of phrase. She looked at me as if I was a particularly bad smell under her nose, and she was incredibly rude to me. After another attempt she used the word pre-authorisation and that part I understood.

Now I never used my card the whole weekend because I bought enough cash with me and I only used it again at checkout to pay my half the bill (as it was split) for the 3 nights. *cue error*

Not ONLY did the Ren charge me full rates (and not the special Gabit rates as specified on the bill), but they charged me full rates for TWO people (even though we'd split the bill).. AND they charged me at check in NOT check out! How the hezmanah does someone do that? I signed off on a certain amount on Monday which was certainly nowhere near the amount swindled on the Friday.

Anyway. Whatever they did managed to freeze my account. I had zero cash in my purse and about a days worth of travel on my travelcard. My fridge was also empty because I'd been away.

Now I must say that the manager at the Ren was extremely helpful and apologetic and got their accounts team onto me within the hour. They contacted Visa to sort everything out. Unfortunately, credit card companies do nothing in haste. The damage was only reversed after about 7 days and I had to call my mom and dad to bail me out.

So yeah, I had a wee bit 'o trouble. Mine was spotted quickly though because I have a debit card and not a CC, so I saw the charges straight away.

Originally posted by chelle db View Post
          Just thought I should ask...can you pay with cash?? I would hate to get a surprise like that on my credit card bill...what a right royal pain in the mikta!!
          You can pay your bill in cash, but they will most likely ask you to pay the bill, or at least part of it, up front then if you don't want to use your card at check in. I am totally paying in cash at AT4 because I don't trust them to get it right. Once bitten and all that.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PengYn View Post
            Spoiler:
            Pfft. Don't know what you're talking about.

Now.. good afternoon everyone

Ahh yes, the Ren. Well my story adds a twist of drama to the problem..

On the Tuesday evening (after Gabit) I was puzzled by the fact that I couldn't draw money from my account. Now I know I'm poor.. but not to the extent where the atm starts shouting at you. When I got back from the Jack the Ripper tour I logged in online to find my entire account frozen. It was reading zero funds available.. even though at the same time it was showing me how much money I did have in my account. I spotted right away that there was something very screwy indeed with some of the charges. The Renaissance Hotel had frelled up my bill big time. How exactly they did it I'll never know, but I credit the mistake to whoever checked me in. The woman at the counter asked for my Visa and said "I need to block funds from your account". I asked her to explain this twice because I have never heard a hotel use this particular turn of phrase. She looked at me as if I was a particularly bad smell under her nose, and she was incredibly rude to me. After another attempt she used the word pre-authorisation and that part I understood.

Now I never used my card the whole weekend because I bought enough cash with me and I only used it again at checkout to pay my half the bill (as it was split) for the 3 nights. *cue error*

Not ONLY did the Ren charge me full rates (and not the special Gabit rates as specified on the bill), but they charged me full rates for TWO people (even though we'd split the bill).. AND they charged me at check in NOT check out! How the hezmanah does someone do that? I signed off on a certain amount on Monday which was certainly nowhere near the amount swindled on the Friday.

Anyway. Whatever they did managed to freeze my account. I had zero cash in my purse and about a days worth of travel on my travelcard. My fridge was also empty because I'd been away.

Now I must say that the manager at the Ren was extremely helpful and apologetic and got their accounts team onto me within the hour. They contacted Visa to sort everything out. Unfortunately, credit card companies do nothing in haste. The damage was only reversed after about 7 days and I had to call my mom and dad to bail me out.

So yeah, I had a wee bit 'o trouble. Mine was spotted quickly though because I have a debit card and not a CC, so I saw the charges straight away.

You can pay your bill in cash, but they will most likely ask you to pay the bill, or at least part of it, up front then if you don't want to use your card at check in. I am totally paying in cash at AT4 because I don't trust them to get it right. Once bitten and all that.
            I much prefer to pay cash...I get all funny when handing over my card because of things like this. When we went to Tassie, the car rental place wouldn't let us take the car without a credit card...luckily for us I bought mine along...my card is actually a debit credit card...basically I have a mastercard on my debit card so anything I spend is what I have in the bank...not quite credit if you know what I mean...anyway, we had family who did the same thing and later they found that the car rental mob charged more on their card weeks after they returned...kinda too scary for my liking...so its cash for me!
            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

I'm.... Speachless guys... FCOL, what the .....

Okay... Please can anyone who had a problem e-mail me. and let us know.

I am shocked, disturbed and furious... [hugs pengyn] I am so sorry it took so long to sort out.

I will be phoning the hotel on Monday when our event Manger is back and having some stern (make that VERY STERN) words.

It's Completely unacceptable to get it that wrong.

[gives everyone a group hug]

becks
              G4

Comment

I hope you aren't taking this personally Becky...I seriously doubt that anyone sees this as a reflection on the G4...sometimes these things happen...don't fret...she'll be right!!
                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

My friend Flow had also something going wrong, I think she had the same check in person as MegYn did. Strange woman who didn't understand her, like she didn't even speak english very well. Flow got everything sorted out at the hotel itself though on monday I think.

Weird that they made so many misstakes, but obviously no one blames you guys Becky *sends hugs*
                  sigpic

Comment

Well, having been falsely accused in the past of being a nazi, a prude, and a mealy mouthed chicken s*** I can assure you that announcing a Jaffa sucking contest in the lobby will be a breeze.

Hugs
                    Becks
                    Surely not by any Gabiteers!

And I did My Hubby is a Scot, an ice hockey playing/refereeing/stato recording Scot.

He wore a Kilt for our wedding which we went to Edinburgh to have him measured up for... his Kilt actually cost more than my wedding dress!!!!!

And nothing is worn beneath the kit of a true Scotsman.... It's all in perfect working order.....

Becks
                    So, pretty much the perfect man. Lucky you.

I believe the Kilt was more than the wedding dress, I know they are very expensive, but worth it, eh?

Wow. Sorry to hear that and about PengYn's troubles. My hotel bill was just fine.

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                    I thought that was Quebec?

centre. You're Canadian is showing.
                    No, but Quebec is a world unto itself!

Yes, the spelling gives me away. I think the reason that Canadian kids have come in second in the big spelling bee the last two years, instead of first, is because they spell the final word the Canadian way!

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                      Yes, the spelling gives me away. I think the reason that Canadian kids have come in second in the big spelling bee the last two years, instead of first, is because they spell the final word the Canadian way!
                      Ok...got a quick question before I go to bed...how do you spell auntie??
                      As you can see, I spell it like this: Auntie...but a lot of my family and friends spell it thus: Aunty...I think it depends on who teaches you...but weird as it is...I was taught how to spell at the same time my sister in law was and we both spell it differently...same as with the word colour...I spell it with a "u" but later on they started teaching us to spell it without the "u"...either way is accepted as correct...well it used to be...but anyhoo...it gets confusing...teachers are accepting phonetically spelled words rather than correctly spelled words...boggles the mind!!!
                      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

The only issue I had is that when we got our bills under our door my roomie's was fine, but mine was for the 75GBP a night for the con nights (not half of the 85GBP of a shared room). It was all straightened out when I checked out and I was charged the correct amount. I just check my CC statement again (you guys got me paranoid!) and I only say one charge from the Ren. and I am pretty sure it was correct (in the $400 range).

Comment

yeah, becky, don't take it personally. It's not you, it's someone at the Ren. And, we were chatting last night, there was at least one person at the front desk that apparantly found her job very challenging.

If anyone is to blame, once the hotel realized that they were having issues (and i sincerely doubt it was just our group) they should have audited every single billing. Stuff will get straightened out.

it's very possible that i got the 'i'll forward this to a supervisor' because i'm far from the only person that's had an issue with the hotel
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I'm.... Speachless guys... FCOL, what the .....

Okay... Please can anyone who had a problem e-mail me. and let us know.

[gives everyone a group hug]

becks
                            G4

Sent you a PM Becky

And as I said in the PM I don't think anyone blames the G4 for the issues....firmly believe they were caused by the "rude gal"
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db View Post
                              I hope you aren't taking this personally Becky...I seriously doubt that anyone sees this as a reflection on the G4...sometimes these things happen...don't fret...she'll be right!!
                              Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
                              My friend Flow had also something going wrong, I think she had the same check in person as MegYn did. Strange woman who didn't understand her, like she didn't even speak english very well. Flow got everything sorted out at the hotel itself though on monday I think.

Weird that they made so many misstakes, but obviously no one blames you guys Becky *sends hugs*
                              Oh absolutely. Annelies, yes that is the exact woman I mean, I know she was speaking English but it was no English I'd ever heard. *shoots little sparks out eyes* I understood the French gals better!!

I did what Erin13 did, I called three times because they kept dropping the call due to the fact they didn't understand what I was calling to complain about. And on the third time, explained again why I was calling, and they said "let me see if I can find someone to help" and I said "please don't, just put me through to a manager because that'll be quicker". Which they did, and he was extremely helpful.

And I've stayed at the Ren before where I've had nothing but exceptional service and no miscellaneous charges. So I was quite surprised by these events. It's not any of the G4's fault, and never for a minute did I think it reflected badly on Gabit. *hugs Becky back* I was just less than impressed with the reception staff.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam View Post
                                [COLOR="Blue"]Sent you a PM Becky

And as I said in the PM I don't think anyone blames the G4 for the issues....firmly believe they were caused by the "rude gal"[/COLOR]

You mean Mandy was causing all the problems (again)?

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Working...
                                X