No announcement yet.

GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are very few cons that do it right. Gabit is pretty good, but I do wish they had more options when buying tickets.

For example I wish we had the option to add photo and autos to our ticket instead of having it included. Would make the ticket cheaper, especially considering the cost of just getting to the UK these days. I've way too many photo ops with AT already and am actually considering selling it to the highest bidder. Who wants two pics with AT?

Comment

Originally posted by lbruce1980 View Post
      LOL, true looks like I'll bring the Tim Tams hehe, so when and where is the chocolate party? I'm sure the info is on the forum somewhere but I wouldn't even have a clue where to start looking! Gotta have vegemite - though there is a great little place in London that sells it.. and Tim Tams!

Well flights for Dad and I booked, hotel booked, and now we're just organising a surprise party for the UK family so still trying to keep it on the quiet at the moment, but I may post on FB in the next couple of weeks or so once we have things set in place and everything is going ahead!

Looking forward to Armageddon next week too, did you want to meet up to say hi somewhere there?
      The Gabit has reserved an arcove in the bar for the chocolate party. Easy to find - if you face the reception area - the bar is to the right and visiable. Or just follow your nose - the scent of chocolate will be everywhere!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
        So glad you managed to get a ticket! You will have the best time ever!

So have been planning my abnormal ball costume today, must get something made soon before I run out of time.

Hooray for having the chocolate party again this year, must contemplate on what to bring this time.

Mumsey, I need to chat with you about something, which is best e-mail or PM? *hugs*

I was showing my carer (she's not going to AT6) the photos from AT5, she was quite impressed but couldn't quite grasp what it was all about, it is quite hard to explain to someone who has never seen anything like a con before. She only started working for me this February, so fandom is new to her. Donna and Doris, the con pro's that they are, are excited to see everyone again.

Julia(samcarterrules)
        I have emailed you.

Mumsey
        For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by lame moose (mocha) View Post
          i'll be wearing the same thing i wore the last 2 times. it's the only time i've had to dress up and i don't want to spend more on something to wear one time. i pretty much live in slacks and t-shirt. it's comfy and i never go anyplace fancy. that's me take it or leave it. i know everybody thinks i am a slave to fashion, but it's just not true.
          Lucky for you that some of us are old and can't remember from event to event what you wore last time. So, always a new outfit as far as we are concerned.

Originally posted by lame moose (mocha) View Post
          am finally going full blast with carving my puzzle box for the AT6 auction. have been meeting with a master wood carver and have learned a lot. most importantly-how not to cut myself. i'm doing the carving on a piece of wood as practice then will do the actual box. i was afraid to start on it earlier-before my Bubba calmed done some because i was afraid he would just come by and plop his slobbery muzzle on top of what i'm working on and that could be bad with very sharp carving tools. but it's going pretty well and i have a deadline of halloween. learning a lot about shadows and depth and that kinda stuff as well as which type blade is best for certain cuts. i enjoy it. this box will have a music box movement in it also. -so cool. wish me luck and hopefully i will still have all my fingers with me when i come to AT6.

Originally posted by SWMBOTGSG View Post
          I usually wear smart trousers and some sort of dressy top. Comfy and sparkly.

Mumsey
          Mumsey, you always sparkle no matter what you are wearing.

Originally posted by PengYn View Post
          Hi!

If you meant the tour that starts at 7.30pm and leaves from Tower Hill. It ends near Aldgate East tube station, which links Whitechapel road, Brick Lane, Commercial street and Aldgate High Street - all of which have various Indian restaurants. I think Brick Lane is the one with a lot of them.

Bye!
          Hey you! Yes, that is the tour. Thanks for the info kiddo.

O M G!!!!!!!!!

I just sent payment off for a ticket that became available!!!!!!!!

Arrrghhh I'm coming to AT6!!

yyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

Just have to pay the person, hope it all goes through okay!!

So please tell me tell me tell me what is the abnormals party, and how many packets of Tim Tams am I bringing to the chocolate party!!!!! lol I'm thinking 1 suitcase full of them lol! I'm down on the list to come to the JTR tour so is anyone else going? OMG I'm so excited - I can't stop smiling!

I won't be posting this on my FB page though as I have decided to bring my Dad with me and suprise our UK family who are all friends on FB! They haven't seen him for 15 years!!
          Which means I get to share my good news with you guys and you guys only - I'm so excited I just had to tell someone!!

I can't believe it!!

I'm so looking forward to meeting all of you!!! Apparently there's hugs too?

See you guys in a few weeks time!!
          Congrats!

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
          Phew...I don't know why but I had it in my head that we had to wear dresses...no pants...well that may make my packing easier. Thank you.
          Neep is the only one allowed to go like that.

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
          Ok guys, got the info for operation restock Papa's store room! Talked to Michael about what they most need- socks and undies sizes tiny (toddler tiny) to tiny (teenager tiny). Maybe some small bras. I have to keep my bag under 20 kgs so a few new and nice things would be better than emptying out drawers of stuff your kids have grown out of or something

If you do bring something, bring it to the chocolate party or track me down during the weekend
          Thanks for letting us know.

So have been planning my abnormal ball costume today, must get something made soon before I run out of time.

Hooray for having the chocolate party again this year, must contemplate on what to bring this time.

Mumsey, I need to chat with you about something, which is best e-mail or PM? *hugs*

I was showing my carer (she's not going to AT6) the photos from AT5, she was quite impressed but couldn't quite grasp what it was all about, it is quite hard to explain to someone who has never seen anything like a con before. She only started working for me this February, so fandom is new to her. Donna and Doris, the con pro's that they are, are excited to see everyone again.

Julia(samcarterrules)
          Looking forward to seeing them as well.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Please take a few moments to nominate Amanda for the next Canada's Walk of Fame event. Best of all, we get to write about why she should get her star.

Canada's Walk of Fame

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
              There are very few cons that do it right. Gabit is pretty good, but I do wish they had more options when buying tickets.
              For example I wish we had the option to add photo and autos to our ticket instead of having it included. Would make the ticket cheaper, especially considering the cost of just getting to the UK these days. I've way too many photo ops with AT already and am actually considering selling it to the highest bidder. Who wants two pics with AT?
              Who doesn't!!
              Originally posted by EH-T View Post
              Neep is the only one allowed to go like that.
              Oh wait...I didn't mean it like that...of course no one would encroach on Neeps no pants policy/thing...what I meant was I assumed that we had to wear a dress/skirt...not no pants but no pants/slacks...I think I just gave myself a headache.
              "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

32 days til AT6 Ripples!!
                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Really?

That is so close!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
                    Really? That is so close!
                    It's gonna seem a lot closer before the end of the week...we're about to enter the 20's...the 30's are almost gone!
                    I've got 2 weeks of work left then I have a week to organise the family & pack. Boggles the brain how the days seem to be dwindling so fast.
                    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Holy Hannah!!!
                      sigpic

Comment

beginning to feel a little stressed at the short amount of time left. wish it was longer, only to have more time to finish the puzzle box and to get giant bubba better trained before i leave.

Comment

I can't wait!!! The week before that I'm going to see Michael McIntyre (a comedian) then London!

Julia(samcarterrules)
                          sigpic
                          Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Thank you!!! Looking forward to meeting all of you - you are all so friendly!!

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                            I've way too many photo ops with AT already and am actually considering selling it to the highest bidder. Who wants two pics with AT?
                            It will be my first so I would love a couple of extra pics with AT but I'm sure I'm not the first to jump on them

Originally posted by llp View Post
                            The Gabit has reserved an arcove in the bar for the chocolate party. Easy to find - if you face the reception area - the bar is to the right and visiable. Or just follow your nose - the scent of chocolate will be everywhere!
                            So what day and time will it be? I have to be careful as I've just started a weight loss regime, but a little bit here and there doesn't hurt

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                            Congrats!
                            Thank you!!

Now I can get excited about the countdown lol!
                            See you at Armageddon!

I can't wait!!! The week before that I'm going to see Michael McIntyre (a comedian) then London!

Julia(samcarterrules)
                            That's awesome, he's so funny! I'll be doing the Jack the Ripper Tour - I have put my name down on the facebook page (Cindy Bruce) just wondering who might be going to that too from here?

I'm also seeing Finbar Furey while I'm there and a couple of other concerts which I'm looking forward to!

Anyway, so much to do and so little time to do it in!!

Bye!!
                            WACKO!!!!

Comment

O M G!!!!!!!!!

I just sent payment off for a ticket that became available!!!!!!!!

Arrrghhh I'm coming to AT6!!

yyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

Just have to pay the person, hope it all goes through okay!!

So please tell me tell me tell me what is the abnormals party, and how many packets of Tim Tams am I bringing to the chocolate party!!!!! lol I'm thinking 1 suitcase full of them lol! I'm down on the list to come to the JTR tour so is anyone else going? OMG I'm so excited - I can't stop smiling!

I won't be posting this on my FB page though as I have decided to bring my Dad with me and suprise our UK family who are all friends on FB! They haven't seen him for 15 years!!
                              Which means I get to share my good news with you guys and you guys only - I'm so excited I just had to tell someone!!

I can't believe it!!

I'm so looking forward to meeting all of you!!! Apparently there's hugs too?

See you guys in a few weeks time!!
                              Congrats, and welcome to the insanity *ahem* party!
                              (Yes, there will be hugs. Lots of hugs. Mumsey's been known to wear her 'hug magnet' tee, and last year you could get Julia and Elaine hugs for a pound ... plus the giant teddy Occasionally there are epic tackle-hugs that go down in the lobby, but usually they're not sneak-attack ones, so no worries there! LOL So yes, hugs are good and plentiful )

As for the JtR tour, will you already be at the hotel, or staying somewhere else in town by Wed? There are a few of us going ... I know I'll be staying at a nearby hostel that night, so will be meeting up with the group at the tour startup (unless some of us are going for dinner beforehand like last time? Hmmm...) but there very well may be people staying at the Ren already at that point as well!

Phew...I don't know why but I had it in my head that we had to wear dresses...no pants...well that may make my packing easier. Thank you.
                              Well Neep proved that you don't *have* to wear trousers ... and really, unless you're wearing a really short skirt or transparent trousers, we shouldn't be able to tell whether you've got on pants underneath or are doing the commando... (Sorry, couldn't resist chelle! My first class in England, we took the students to a pool for their PE lesson. After the lesson, one of the boys exited the changing room in shorts instead of his uniform trousers, so I asked him why he wasn't wearing his pants - he turned bright red and did the fish face while the rest of the lads burst out laughing and asked how I could tell... at which point I remembered that 'pants' in England usually refers to underwear )

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
                              Ok guys, got the info for operation restock Papa's store room! Talked to Michael about what they most need- socks and undies sizes tiny (toddler tiny) to tiny (teenager tiny). Maybe some small bras. I have to keep my bag under 20 kgs so a few new and nice things would be better than emptying out drawers of stuff your kids have grown out of or something

If you do bring something, bring it to the chocolate party or track me down during the weekend
                              Oh, cool, will jot it down on my list of things to bring with me!

Julia(samcarterrules)
                              Can't wait to see the three of you again! I've been informed that I only need to "behave" while in the auto/photo room (and presumably the main hall) but am free to be my "normal" bouncy self in the lobby, so hopefully won't need my "I'm not ill, I'm just behaving" tee I was threatening to get this time around I've gotten more than half of my costume together - just need some makeup, a tiara, and a white top. Maybe. Could go without the top ... wait, that sounded not-quite-PG, didn't it? *shakes head at self* I do have the main piece to wear on top, it was just suggested I add another to lessen the chances of potential wardrobe malfunctioning... we'll see what I can find in the next couple weeks!

It's a fun challenge to explain the con thing to non-goers, eh? I've almost got my mom around to the point where she'd be willing to go to one in Toronto or possibly even Chicago ... although I don't think she gets how different GABIT is from the other offerings out there. I usually turn the discussions with others into being less about the guests (as much as I love spending time in the presence of Amanda) and more about the experiences with friends and the crazy things we've done to raise money for the charities.

In news of amyness, I bought a dress today Not the one I had planned on getting, but it's funky and fits well and was on sale -- so yes Mayo, you will actually get to see me in a dress! I've also changed my hair - I figured after 7 or so years of the same thing, it was time to splurge a little bit in that department Not too drastically though - everyone talked me out of the really short totally blonde I was contemplating ... at least for now!
                              ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                              ames on facebook
                              ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Originally posted by ames View Post
                                Congrats, and welcome to the insanity *ahem* party!
                                (Yes, there will be hugs. Lots of hugs. Mumsey's been known to wear her 'hug magnet' tee, and last year you could get Julia and Elaine hugs for a pound ... plus the giant teddy Occasionally there are epic tackle-hugs that go down in the lobby, but usually they're not sneak-attack ones, so no worries there! LOL So yes, hugs are good and plentiful )

As for the JtR tour, will you already be at the hotel, or staying somewhere else in town by Wed? There are a few of us going ... I know I'll be staying at a nearby hostel that night, so will be meeting up with the group at the tour startup (unless some of us are going for dinner beforehand like last time? Hmmm...) but there very well may be people staying at the Ren already at that point as well!
                                LOL, thanks very much ames!! Looking forward to hugs - hopefully no "stacks on!" Shall I be a complete noob and wear a badge with my forum and twitter names lol

I'm not sure where I'll be with the tour I have nowhere to stay at this stage, but would be happy to share a dorm if anyone wants to? Only have the Ren from Friday through to Sunday night, so I'm floating the rest of the time, any suggestions? I don't really like the idea of walking back to my accomm alone especially after a tour like that!! lol

Thanks
                                WACKO!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X