GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
    There is a long history to this. I am a frequent flyer but you have to respect one's right to strike. Last year the flight attendants were in a legal position to strike and the Conservative government passed legislation to prevent it, arguing Air Canada was vital to the economy. Not true, if it were, there would be legislation in place preventing them from striking as an essential service. Most places you have alternatives to Air Canada. This year it was the baggage handlers, who just want to gain back what they gave up when the company was in financial trouble a few years ago. Same move by the government (because it was spring break in some provinces and people would be inconvenienced in their holiday plans). If the government prevents the workers from withholding their services--which is their right--they take away their ultimate bargaining tool and give an unfair advantage to management (who, BTW, just gave themselves huge raises).

Yesterday, the Minister responsible for this action was to fly out of Toronto. When she showed up at the airport, some baggage handlers applauded her in a mocking manner. They were suspended for 3 days. That is ridiculous. They did not harm her in any way. They were merely exercising their right to free speech. Others are now walking off the job in solidarity.

If there was a strike and I was unable to attend AT6, I would be upset but I would still defend their right to strike.
    Are they part of a Union? I must admit, though I am not part of one myself, from the contracted employees that come into the medical trailer with their Union Reps after accidents and such, I've only gained respect for what they do and why.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
      Last year the flight attendants were in a legal position to strike and the Conservative government passed legislation to prevent it, arguing Air Canada was vital to the economy.
      I always find the laws and history of strikes to be interesting, partly because I'm in an occupation that's legally prohibited from striking. ("911, sorry, we're not taking calls today. Please try your call again later.") If the union and management can't come to an agreement, we take the contract to binding arbitration. The arbiter uses the standard of what is best for the citizens of the county, not what is best for the agency or for the employees, and they're required to pick one proposed contract or the other. They can't pick and choose bits from each. This means that there's a lot of motivation on both sides to stay out of arbitration because there's no telling which side is going to be very unhappy at the end of it. Personally, I'm just glad we only negotiate our contract every 6 years because it's bitter and heated every time and I find myself having to bite my tongue half the time or have my head handed to me on a platter for voicing an unpopular opinion.

As for a single airline being critical to an economy, that seems like a stretch. If it was every baggage handler for every airline at an airport, I could see their point. I mean, we don't prevent teachers from striking and that's generally extremely inconvenient for everyone, so clearly inconvenience isn't the standard we measure by.

Comment

I don't agree with strikes - regardless of the industry.

I think there are other strategies which are more effective and have less 'collateral damage'.

I do think that Unions should be focusing on other areas too - like larger imput into contractual terms at point of inception - instead of fire-fighting later (strikes).
        Plus, over here, working for a Union is a good gig - very well paid. But not all industries even have a Union.

Of course, if (all) Governments would regulate industry more effectively...

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
          Are they part of a Union? I must admit, though I am not part of one myself, from the contracted employees that come into the medical trailer with their Union Reps after accidents and such, I've only gained respect for what they do and why.
          Yes, they are part of a union.

Originally posted by Trindajae View Post
          I always find the laws and history of strikes to be interesting, partly because I'm in an occupation that's legally prohibited from striking. ("911, sorry, we're not taking calls today. Please try your call again later.") If the union and management can't come to an agreement, we take the contract to binding arbitration. The arbiter uses the standard of what is best for the citizens of the county, not what is best for the agency or for the employees, and they're required to pick one proposed contract or the other. They can't pick and choose bits from each. This means that there's a lot of motivation on both sides to stay out of arbitration because there's no telling which side is going to be very unhappy at the end of it. Personally, I'm just glad we only negotiate our contract every 6 years because it's bitter and heated every time and I find myself having to bite my tongue half the time or have my head handed to me on a platter for voicing an unpopular opinion.

As for a single airline being critical to an economy, that seems like a stretch. If it was every baggage handler for every airline at an airport, I could see their point. I mean, we don't prevent teachers from striking and that's generally extremely inconvenient for everyone, so clearly inconvenience isn't the standard we measure by.
          I am in full agreement that there are certain industries, like yours, that should not be allowed to strike. There are vital services that are always needed and in those circumstances the protection of the public trumps the right to strike. As you said, mere inconvenience is not the determining factor.

Originally posted by MayoGate View Post
          I don't agree with strikes - regardless of the industry.

I think there are other strategies which are more effective and have less 'collateral damage'.

I do think that Unions should be focusing on other areas too - like larger imput into contractual terms at point of inception - instead of fire-fighting later (strikes).
          Plus, over here, working for a Union is a good gig - very well paid. But not all industries even have a Union.

Of course, if (all) Governments would regulate industry more effectively...
          I don't think anyone likes strikes, even the workers. It should always be the course of last resort. The right should not be abused. However, neither should management be allowed to abuse the fact that a government with a certain political bent will bail them out when they manage the company badly. When the recession hit, the workers agreed to take big pay cuts and give up benefits to help the company through the tough times. Then, when things get better, instead of restoring the workers to the position they were in (not giving them more) management instead rewards themselves first. If management then knows there is no possibility of strike because the government will always step in, then they have no incentive to treat their employees better, or, at the very least, equal to themselves.

Getting way off topic here. Today I am wearing my new S4K t-shirt.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

I am wearing my favourite S4K Hoody, 3 sizes too big and with a toothpaste stain on it Lol

Comment

I am wearing my favourite S4K Hoody, 3 sizes too big and with a toothpaste stain on it Lol
              Time to buy a new one!

Comment

My Dad just got an iPhone.
                My first thought? Cool - now I can get an S4K cover for it!
                (so not kidding, that was the first thought that went through my head...lol)

I've already asked this in the Samandan thread, but figured I might ask here as well: my cousin wants to send a letter to Amanda ... does anyone know of a current snail-mail addy that will reach her in a semi-timely fashion? It's been suggested that I try tweeting her, but so far no luck on that front.

Thanks in advance!
                Now off to get ready for work ... 2 new trainees started yesterday (I do the safety/induction tour on this shift, as well as train in two of the six areas). One has a great sense of humour and the other looks like Tom Cruise. Yay for volunteering to do training!
                ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                ames on facebook
                ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

For some reason I'm having AT6 / Amanda dreams this weekend.
                  Last night I dreamt that I was asked to steward at AT6 and that my task was: executive producer of chocolate But before I could find out what that exactly meant I was woken up by a crying daughter (she's teething).
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
                    Last night I dreamt that I was asked to steward at AT6 and that my task was: executive producer of chocolate But before I could find out what that exactly meant I was woken up by a crying daughter (she's teething).
                    It means you have to buy me a Milky Bar

And Eh-T - I'm quite fond of that stain! Besides, given the amount of clothing I have for them already, it would be uneconomical as I'd need to buy a new wardrobe to house it Lol

Comment

Originally posted by ames View Post

First thought should totally have been stealing the phone...

Comment

Originally posted by ames View Post

I've already asked this in the Samandan thread, but figured I might ask here as well: my cousin wants to send a letter to Amanda ... does anyone know of a current snail-mail addy that will reach her in a semi-timely fashion? It's been suggested that I try tweeting her, but so far no luck on that front.

Thanks in advance!
                        Now off to get ready for work ... 2 new trainees started yesterday (I do the safety/induction tour on this shift, as well as train in two of the six areas). One has a great sense of humour and the other looks like Tom Cruise. Yay for volunteering to do training!
                        LOL! That is how conditioned we are. Get a letter? First thought is "one more stamp for the hearing dogs". Getting chilly where you are? First thought is "I need a S4K hoodie". Getting warm? "I need to break out the new S4K t-shirt".

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
                        It means you have to buy me a Milky Bar

And Eh-T - I'm quite fond of that stain! Besides, given the amount of clothing I have for them already, it would be uneconomical as I'd need to buy a new wardrobe to house it Lol
                        And it means you have to find me Fasermints!

Mayo, maybe S4K will come out with the S4K wardrobe to house all our stuff.

Comment

First thought should totally have been stealing the phone...
                          That's quite enough of that!

Comment

MAYO...consider yourself badged!

Comment

Huh.

That actually took longer than I thought it would to be fair

Comment

Huh.

That actually took longer than I thought it would to be fair
                                It sure did!

Mumsey
                                For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X