GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest from S4K:

February 14, 2012 . Campaign closes today. We will post final figure raised tomorrow. We have added another house, building 14 homes, and raising $28,000! Such a wonderful gift of love on Valentine's Day

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Excited to also tell you that we have been working with S4K and Amanda to bring fans autographed photos (exclusive to S4K) of Amanda for sale, 100% benefitting S4K, from the online store from early summer. Finalised details today.

Julia
      To influence the quality of another's day. That is the essence of life.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by eh-t View Post
        latest from s4k:

february 14, 2012 . Campaign closes today. We will post final figure raised tomorrow. We have added another house, building 14 homes, and raising $28,000! Such a wonderful gift of love on valentine's day
        we done good!

Comment

This is a question for the Air Canada flyers....how are their airplanes as a passenger. Delta is not offering me anything I like at a fair price and I've been looking at Air Canada or BA. AC has a better rate. I might have to land in Toronto on the way back (Vancouver on the way there) so does anyone know if if snows enough to close the airport in the middle of November in Toronto?
          Thanks!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post
            This is a question for the Air Canada flyers....how are their airplanes as a passenger. Delta is not offering me anything I like at a fair price and I've been looking at Air Canada or BA. AC has a better rate. I might have to land in Toronto on the way back (Vancouver on the way there) so does anyone know if if snows enough to close the airport in the middle of November in Toronto?
            Thanks!

Not sure if this helps but when I flew out to Toronto a couple of years back, it was February and they were in the middle of their worst winter in decades, the airport stayed open. We had ice storms and the snow was very bad. They were de-icing the wings continually but Toronto is such a hub that it seems geared up for bad weather more than any other airport I've seen!

Julia
            To influence the quality of another's day. That is the essence of life.sigpic

Comment

Very proud and happy for Sanctuary For Kids in raising such a phenomenal amount. Well done to all those who helped build a house and who continue to donate online.

Thank you again Gabit for the wake up this morning when the tweet went to my phone...hubby was soo late for work I've never seen him so panicked to get out the door...so I was up at some ungodly hour of the morning helping get Tom out of bed coz he was helping his dad today - they made it to work in time but the concrete truck was early so it was all hands on deck to get the slab ready...all went well so no grumbles from hubby about the phone going off this morning.
              "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by JuliaR View Post
                Not sure if this helps but when I flew out to Toronto a couple of years back, it was February and they were in the middle of their worst winter in decades, the airport stayed open. We had ice storms and the snow was very bad. They were de-icing the wings continually but Toronto is such a hub that it seems geared up for bad weather more than any other airport I've seen!

Julia
                That's the type of thing I love to hear. Feel a lot more secure about using them. Thanks a lot Julia...you rock!

Now can anyone tell me about Air Canada.....just curious! Although looks like they will be the airline of choice this year.
                sigpic

Comment

That's the type of thing I love to hear. Feel a lot more secure about using them. Thanks a lot Julia...you rock!

Now can anyone tell me about Air Canada.....just curious! Although looks like they will be the airline of choice this year.
                  To second what Julia said ... I think it pretty much takes a natural disaster to actually *close* Pearson.
                  Run on delays, sure - cancel and have to reschedule flights? I've seen it happen. But close? Erm....
                  What can I say, we're a hearty bunch, us crazy Canucks

I've flown AC many, many times. Mostly in and out of the UK, come to think of it
                  I've always found them to be polite and very helpful in terms of customer service (as well as relatively patient and even to have a sense of humour ... especially regarding unusual luggage situations ... but those are definitely stories for another time! LOL) both at the airport and while in the air.

Any specifics you would like to know?
                  Like food/onboard entertainment/comfort of seats/flight options?
                  (Technically both of the 'unusual luggage' stories involve GABIT ... heading to AT3 and home from AT4, to be more precise, so I suppose I could share them on here and still be 'on-topic', of sorts... )
                  ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                  ames on facebook
                  ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Originally posted by ames View Post
                    To second what Julia said ... I think it pretty much takes a natural disaster to actually *close* Pearson.
                    Run on delays, sure - cancel and have to reschedule flights? I've seen it happen. But close? Erm....
                    What can I say, we're a hearty bunch, us crazy Canucks

I've flown AC many, many times. Mostly in and out of the UK, come to think of it
                    I've always found them to be polite and very helpful in terms of customer service (as well as relatively patient and even to have a sense of humour ... especially regarding unusual luggage situations ... but those are definitely stories for another time! LOL) both at the airport and while in the air.

Any specifics you would like to know?
                    Like food/onboard entertainment/comfort of seats/flight options?
                    (Technically both of the 'unusual luggage' stories involve GABIT ... heading to AT3 and home from AT4, to be more precise, so I suppose I could share them on here and still be 'on-topic', of sorts... )
                    No, that pretty much settles it for me....looks like AC has won the day. Just signed up for their mileage program. Going to fly to the UK via Vancouver (I live in Seattle) and off to the UK. On the way back, a stopover in Toronto...and back to Seattle. Although I've never been to Toronto, so I might just stay a day or two there as well. Depends on my finances and just how cold it is in November! But mainly on the finances!

Ah luggage problems....My luggage has traveled to places I've never been. Once it even went to Puerto Rico while I went to San Francisco (we were in Portugal first). My mom's luggage visited Israel while she was going to Italy. And even my trip to Spain, my luggage decided to stay in NYC an extra day. Have you ever been in Madrid on a Sunday....nothing is open, or at least back about 20 years ago. I'm hoping that my luggage will want to go to London with me....on the way back it would be annoying but livable if it took a detour....just as long as it eventually made it's way back to Seattle!

But since you asked....I assume the food is edible and seats are pretty much seats, I assume! Although I do know what that word represents.
                    sigpic

Comment

Hey, if it helps, I believe Amanda flew AC coming into or out of Aus.
                      "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Thanks!
                        I flew Air Canada once to Vancouver from Atlanta via Toronto. The plane was quite roomy from what I remember. I didn't feel quite as crowded as I normally do on Delta. The only part I didn't like was that in Toronto, I had to get off the plane, get my luggage and go through customs and re-board the plane before heading south back to Atlanta when returning since it was a domestic flight between Vancouver and Toronto but not between Toronto and Atlanta. Other than that, it was a very pleasant experience.
                        sigpic

Comment

I love Air Canada; I prefer them to any US carrier. I flew from PDX to Vancouver (AC has partnership with United Express for that leg) then on to Toronto and a connection to a friend who lives little south of Toronto. I stayed a few days there and then we flew out from Toronto to London UK. The return was same just in reverse. I went through customs in Vancouver and the only draw back was having to wait in small room after going through customs for the flight back to Portland. So delay going through customs until it gets about an hour/hour an half away from flight time.

AC was very friendly and helpful....yes I highly recommend them.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JuliaR View Post
                            Excited to also tell you that we have been working with S4K and Amanda to bring fans autographed photos (exclusive to S4K) of Amanda for sale, 100% benefitting S4K, from the online store from early summer. Finalised details today.

Julia
                            That is great Julia. I have had a lot of photos signed for other fans over the years when I have been to Gabit events. It will be a great thing for those who can't make it to cons.

Thanks!
                            I am a regular AC flyer. I have never had a problem with them and find the staff very nice and always helpful.

Canadian airports rarely shut down because of weather, let's face it, we are experienced in handling snow. Pearson (in Toronto) is the major airport in Canada so they will do whatever possible to keep open. Vancouver is not likely to ever get enough snow to shut them down.

The entertainment on AC is very good. Each seat has its own screen and you get an excellent variety of movies, TV, etc.

The food....well, it is airline food but not bad.

No charge for one checked bag and you can take a carry-on as well as a purse.

Not sure about the size of the plane out of Vancouver but the plane to London out of Toronto is big. Last time I went to London in February it was pretty empty so I ended up having the entire middle row to myself. Nice to stretch out even if I can't sleep on planes.

Added bonus, the plane is full of friendly Canadians, although some are a bit more bouncy (hello Ames) than others.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

*bounces in*
                              I heard my name! *waves*
                              *bounces out*
                              ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                              ames on facebook
                              ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                                I am a regular AC flyer. I have never had a problem with them and find the staff very nice and always helpful.

Canadian airports rarely shut down because of weather, let's face it, we are experienced in handling snow. Pearson (in Toronto) is the major airport in Canada so they will do whatever possible to keep open. Vancouver is not likely to ever get enough snow to shut them down.

The entertainment on AC is very good. Each seat has its own screen and you get an excellent variety of movies, TV, etc.

The food....well, it is airline food but not bad.

No charge for one checked bag and you can take a carry-on as well as a purse.

Not sure about the size of the plane out of Vancouver but the plane to London out of Toronto is big. Last time I went to London in February it was pretty empty so I ended up having the entire middle row to myself. Nice to stretch out even if I can't sleep on planes.

Added bonus, the plane is full of friendly Canadians, although some are a bit more bouncy (hello Ames) than others.
                                Thanks everyone....appreciate the quick response. Well since Delta won't give me the upgrade I want even though I have all the miles plus....going to give AC a try. Looks like I fly the baby plane to Vancouver and then the big one to London and on the way back they stop in Toronto and then to Seattle. Again, thanks everyone for all the info!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X