No announcement yet.

GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When we were staying in Bristol, between AT2 and Avalon, we took a day trip to Bath via the train and another day trip to Stonehenge/Lacock Village with a bus tour which departed from Bath. It was a small bus, only about 20 people. Found out later we were bopping around Bath the same day as Amanda, Rick and the Gabit folks (they took the photo of Amanda and Rick in front of Bath Abbey. When Amanda found out we had been there the same day, she said "We should have met up for tea." Oh, if only. sigh
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
    William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
    Anon

Comment

I've done Stonehenge twice (once with a National Trust guide who took us walking over the barrows. Was quite an education and such fun!), Dover (the Castle is amazing), Canterbury, Whitstable/Herne Bay and Oxford. All without a tour which for me is the best thing cos you plan your day the way you like rather than going along with a crowd of people like a school field trip and it was very inexpensive. All within easy reach of London for a day trip as well.

I even hitchhiked one night when I got a bit turned around in a small town on a country road, but it was such a great memory and the guy and his sons were very nice considering they were taking an American to the bus stop in town and wouldnt even take the few pounds I offered for the ride.

PM if you're interested in any info.

Can't wait for November cos I have plenty more 'adventures' planned and an wondering what other trouble I might get into.

Comment

Lacock abbey is a great place to visit Harry Potter not withstanding. For AT3 I rented a car and spent 4 weeks driving around England. I stopped at Lacock on my way to Avebury; really neat standing stones ( you can walk around them and touch them; so cool!). Anyway, if you stop at Lacock when you go through the cloisters look up to the arches. At each apex there are small sculptures that depict various objects; some are just knight shields but other have animals (fishes, ducks, rabbits) and there was one with an acrobat. Once I notice them I took pictures of most of them. There is also graffiti on the walls. I really enjoyed it and because I was on my own I could stay as long as I wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
          I second the recommendation of Stonehenge and Bath. Bath is wonderful if you love Georgian architecture (I do) and of course the Roman Baths. Don't miss the Pump Room for tea and the Museum of Clothing. Bath Abbey is very nice as well. Stonehenge surprised me as it was smaller than I expected from the pictures I'd seen in National Geographic and so forth.

Yeah, but people were smaller in those days too. Have you seen the suits of armor in Bath and London. At 5'4" I would be way over their heads!

Been years (or more like decades) since I've been to Bath and Stonehenge. Back then you could wonder through the ruins without concern. I put my hand on one of the stones and wondered who else had touched that same spot and how many hundreds of years had passed since then. Bath was just as cool. Wondered through that town as well. We had rented a car and drove all through the UK. It was exciting to do this and for almost 4 weeks, we had a blast.
          Last edited by llp; 04 February 2012, 07:44 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Salisbury is near Bath. i had planned to go there and stonehedge on my last trip, but i missed the train because the bus driver would not put the ramp out for me for some reason and i had to wait for the next bus. so i just zoomed around london for the day instead. but i remember there was some neat old buildings and things there.

Comment

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BECKY

Comment

It's a Becky Birthday?

It's a Becky Birthday!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lame moose (mocha) View Post
                  HAPPY BIRTHDAY BECKY
                  ^What she said!
                  Hope you have an awesome fantastic day! xo
                  "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                  Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                  ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Ditto'ing the above....with *hugs*

Happy Bday!!!
                    ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                    ames on facebook
                    ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                      I'd be interested, thanks.
                      My niece couldn't remember which company she went with but thinks it might be this one: http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/d...circle-access/ - this other site seems to give a lot more information about "Special Access - and key facts" and about getting there from London. http://www.londontoolkit.com/whattod...ial_access.htm. Hope this helps.

Comment

!!!YadhtriB yppaH YKCEB
                        sigpic Martin Rocks!!

Comment

Hey Everyone,

How's everyone? Happy Birthday Becky!!

Julia(samcarterrules)
                          sigpic
                          Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Happy Birthday BECKY!!!

Comment

Happy Birthday, Becky.

Comment

Happy Birthday Becky!!

Comment

Working...
                                X