Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ames View Post
    ...and it sounds like breakfast is ready
    Time to toss on my S4K hoodie, and head out to Parliament Hill!
    OOOOHH - I just a terribly wistful moment when I read that last line. When I took a semester at the University of London, I lived at Parliament Hill. I miss it still...
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
      Does "block" and "talk" rhyme when you say it? Maybe it's just kiwis who pronounce them differently. But then we say bear, beer and bare identically.

Oh and spoilers for the book

Spoiler:
      Amanda told us about the different lights. The first time she heard a director yell "kill the baby and hang the redhead!" she thought "what a horrible man."
      Why yes they do.

LOL at the spoiler.

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
      OOOOHH - I just a terribly wistful moment when I read that last line. When I took a semester at the University of London, I lived at Parliament Hill. I miss it still...
      The Parliament Hill Ames is going to would be in Ottawa but still, the phrase evokes a nice memory. If you say Vancouver 2010, most Canadians will have fond memories of the Winter Olympics but for me it is TSE!

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
        Why yes they do.

LOL at the spoiler.
        I'm still trying to figure out how 'block' and 'talk' could possibly rhyme

The Parliament Hill Ames is going to would be in Ottawa but still, the phrase evokes a nice memory. If you say Vancouver 2010, most Canadians will have fond memories of the Winter Olympics but for me it is TSE!
        Hey, I only have to hear 'Vancouver' and I'm floating off down memory lane

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
          I'm still trying to figure out how 'block' and 'talk' could possibly rhyme

Hey, I only have to hear 'Vancouver' and I'm floating off down memory lane
          I'll say them at AT6 and then you'll understand.

I going to Vancouver next week for the Grey Cup (Canadian Football Championship). I will be nice to be back and the game, which is in an indoor stadium, will be fun. Tomorrow's game I am attending will be outside and the high will be -10C. 31/2-4 hours in the cold. If I survive, I may borrow rderoch's t-shirt!

Comment

50 days til AT6 ticket payments due!

354 Days til AT6 Ripples!!

Have been wearing my S4K hoodie over the last two days & it's been keeping me snuggly warm. Hard to believe after the last week of warm temps. Tonight after work, I fell asleep on the couch coz I was so comfy in it...in the process I slept through 2 episodes of Stargate that I had been watching.
            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Okay, I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that y'all talk funny
              Block and talk totally rhyme!
              Beer and bear do not, although bare and bear are homynyms Beer sounds like near, which does not sound like bear even though they're only a letter apart -- oh how I love the English language and it's (lack of) logic!!! LOL

(Can't wait to get home and see if my copy is waiting for me there...)

...and *I* am the one who gets asked to say the oddest statements when we get together? *quirks eyebrow* (I still hold, Neep, that the mouse cannot possibly be out and about IN the house, btw , nor can there be a moose on the roof, at least not for long without substantial strengthening of the structural underpinnings (Jan) ... and that root/route are very different things! )

It might be amusing *cough* enlightening to gather the accents together and hear how others read the book I'm game if others are for AT6

Yes Eh-T, I agree. Everytime I look at my Van 2010 mitts, my first thought is of TSE, not the Olympics ... I'm going to go with that's not necessarily a bad thing LOL!
              ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
              ames on facebook
              ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Beer and bear do not, although bare and bear are homynyms
                Computers can hear the difference when I say bear and bare, but I can't. Ditto for weather and whether. I was startled at AT5 when a group of us were talking about accents and I mentioned that I can't hear a difference between weather and whether when I say it but it feels different in my mouth, and two of the girls promptly informed me that *they* could hear the difference. Something about Hungarian having 5 different sounds for 'e' and I was using two of them that English (well, American English anyway) doesn't bother to differentiate between.

Reminds me of the first time I traveled a significant distance from my home region and people started asking me how long I was in the US for because they thought I was Canadian. That started a fairly entertaining conversation in which I was heard to utter the phrase, "But Canadians don't have an accent! Texans do!" (I was in Texas.)

It might be amusing *cough* enlightening to gather the accents together and hear how others read the book I'm game if others are for AT6
                Yes, please! Those of us who had no chance to buy the books before they sold out would love to see a copy, and I'm enough of a linguistics nerd to find the accents fascinating.

On a completely different topic... I have Tim Tams and Jello and Chelle is fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Trindajae View Post
                  , and I'm enough of a linguistics nerd to find the accents fascinating.
                  but at least you speak the SAME language. Try come here where there're different accents in each region + different dialects! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_dialects)
                  sigpic
                  My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Originally posted by XFchemist View Post
                    but at least you speak the SAME language. Try come here where there're different accents in each region + different dialects! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_dialects)
                    My Chinese friend would agree She speaks 3 completely different Chinese languages and still has enough brain power left over to speak English better than I do
                    Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Beer and bear do not, although bare and bear are homynyms Beer sounds like near, which does not sound like bear even though they're only a letter apart -- oh how I love the English language and it's (lack of) logic!!! LOL
                      ...and *I* am the one who gets asked to say the oddest statements when we get together? *quirks eyebrow* (I still hold, Neep, that the mouse cannot possibly be out and about IN the house, btw , nor can there be a moose on the roof, at least not for long without substantial strengthening of the structural underpinnings (Jan) ... and that root/route are very different things! )
                      To my ears, block does not sound like talk...block rhymes with clock, tock, & sock but talk rhymes with walk, chalk, & pork.
                      Beer and bear do not sound the same but bear & bare do.
                      I like the saying "a mooose loose in the house" pronouncing the house as hoose where in RL we don't actually pronounce house like the word moose...it's just an accent thing...Scottish IIRC.
                      Love the idea of reading the book to hear how we pronounce the words. I'm in.

Just a quick update on the Nepal trip I was hoping to go on in 2013 - it's not what I was hoping for. It's more a trekking adventure but for 2 days out of 16, you get to help plaster/paint the school or help levelling out the playground or play with the kids. I don't mind that part of the trip but I'd rather go straight to that then spend 10 days trekking up the mountain...even if it is beautiful, I was hoping to spend more time helping out with the community. Hubby is still considering going with junior but it's still a long way off yet. Me, I'm not so sure I want to do that.
                      "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                        To my ears, block does not sound like talk...block rhymes with clock, tock, & sock but talk rhymes with walk, chalk, & pork.
                        and PORK? Okay, I get the others, but pork? Pork rhymes with fork - same o sound as in "or" , "oar" , "four" .

Sorry about the Nepal trip not being quite what you're hoping for.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                          and PORK? Okay, I get the others, but pork? Pork rhymes with fork - same o sound as in "or" , "oar" , "four" .

Sorry about the Nepal trip not being quite what you're hoping for.
                          To me, pork rhymes with fork, talk, walk and chalk

Yes, the English language is both written and spoken many strange ways

Comment

Just came in to say

WE WANT THE CUP

that is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
                              To me, pork rhymes with fork, talk, walk and chalk

Yes, the English language is both written and spoken many strange ways

NO! NO! NO! Fork and pork and cork rhyme with each other and talk, walk and chalk rhyme with each other but the two groups do not rhyme with each other at all! I thought you spoke ENGLISH!

Oh and Jumble - I now have to get back to that "surprise" I have in store for you!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post
                                NO! NO! NO! Fork and pork and cork rhyme with each other and talk, walk and chalk rhyme with each other but the two groups do not rhyme with each other at all! I thought you spoke ENGLISH!
                                They may not rhyme visually, but they do when spoken

Oh and Jumble - I now have to get back to that "surprise" I have in store for you!
                                Just when I'd forgotten about it........

Comment

Working...
                                X