GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
    I can put on some good Queen, Pink Floyd, U2, Coldplay, Def Leopard or any other band and turn the dial up on my ipod and suddenly I'm singing at the top of my lungs (all in good tune of course ) and I don't even realize they're British with that funny sounding accent anymore.

Of course, put on some Tom Petty, Kid Rock or Lynyrd Skynyrd or any other southern rock artist and I notice the twang to my accent right away. Go figure.

Linguistics is strangely fascinating!
    Originally posted by lame moose (mocha) View Post
    i have just recently gotten into Queen music because i'm learning to play drums and they have a lot of neat drum parts in their songs. i love the drum parts for the song"Jesus" and Bohemian Rhapsody"
    Anyone know the Bomber fight song...now that is awesome music!

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
    Well may the best team win and may it be a great game for all sides.
    Oh and have fun with the family. xo
    Thanks.

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
    With a Scottish accent we roll our 'r's in pork, fork, cork; but don't pronounce an 'r' in walk,chalk and talk.

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
      I still say we have a talk off...have the book read by those from different parts of the globe.
      We definitely should! But you know, it could complicated - just amongst the WooHoos there is a huge variation in regional accents so heaven knows how many there will be amongst the American/Canadian/Australian Gabiteers

But it will certainly be fun

Comment

Haha! I can see us having a new 'unofficial' tradition to add to the blue jello and chocolate party we already do.

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
          Haha! I can see us having a new 'unofficial' tradition to add to the blue jello and chocolate party we already do.
          Put a few Vodka shots in that jello and the book reading could be even more hilarious - how to slur in different accents

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
            Put a few Vodka shots in that jello and the book reading could be even more hilarious - how to slur in different accents
            ROFL! I LOVE my GABIT kids!

Huggles you all.

Mumsey.
            For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by SWMBOTGSG View Post
              ROFL! I LOVE my GABIT kids!

Huggles you all.

Mumsey.
              I love anyone that calls me a kid

*huggles Mumsey*

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                With a Scottish accent we roll our 'r's in pork, fork, cork; but don't pronounce an 'r' in walk,chalk and talk.
                But...but there are no "r's" in walk, chalk or talk!

Originally posted by SWMBOTGSG
                ROFL! I LOVE my GABIT kids! Huggles you all.

Mumsey.
                Originally posted by Jumble
                I love anyone that calls me a kid

*huggles Mumsey*
                ME TOO!!!! Huggle Huggle!
                sigpic

Comment

I have a feeling there will definitely be a need for those other jello containers this time around Mumsey (Pots for straight, shooters for ... well ... shooters LOL)

I'm heading to the post office in the near future with a care package of bluey goodness to wing over to Europe - does anyone else desperate need a fix?

I love the idea of the read-off (yay for new traditions!) although I agree with Jumble - just thinking of the regional variances in dialects here means ... well - we'd have quite a laugh, I'm sure!

In OT randomness, did you know that apparently the key to rehabilitating knees is all in the butt? *tries to not think about how sore those muscles still are atm* I drove to work yesterday reciting my new mantra: Physio is good. Physio helps the healing process. *repeat*
                  ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                  ames on facebook
                  ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post
                    But...but there are no "r's" in walk, chalk or talk!
                    According to Becks (see quote below), some people in England add an 'r'.

Originally posted by becky_preen View Post
                    with an english accent they do all rhyme. americans use the aar sound for the aaalk but british english the alk is pronounced "ork"
                    go figure

becks
                    sigpic

Comment

HAPPY THANKSGIVING Y'ALL even if you don't celebrate it-have a day filled with thanks for all your blessings.

Comment

Happy Turkey Day for my American friends
                        I was amazed at how many people booked tomorrow off ... so they could watch all the American football! Go figure LOL

The Christmas carols began tonight at work. *twitches*
                        Don't get me wrong - I love seasonal music as much, if not moreso, than the next person ... but ... when it's all of a sudden 80% of the piped-in music and you're a relatively captive audience ... and it's not even December yet... *blinks*
                        ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                        ames on facebook
                        ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Happy Turkey Day to all the American Gabiteers!

Ames, you're not alone with the Xmas music. My partner yesterday had set on the radio in the rig for a few hours and though I made a joke about it being way to early, I let it play to be nice. Some are more into the spirit of the season than others I guess. *shrug* So if we weren't running calls, I either became *very* interested in chatting about our Thanksgiving plans to drown the music out slightly or my phone (as always) drew my attention away repeatedly. I don't hear much when I'm on my phone.

Comment

Originally posted by ames View Post
                            Happy Turkey Day for my American friends
                            I was amazed at how many people booked tomorrow off ... so they could watch all the American football! Go figure LOL
                            The Christmas carols began tonight at work. *twitches*
                            Don't get me wrong - I love seasonal music as much, if not moreso, than the next person ... but ... when it's all of a sudden 80% of the piped-in music and you're a relatively captive audience ... and it's not even December yet... *blinks*
                            We've been listening to Christmas carols for a couple of weeks already...at home that is, not work. And this weekend, we put our tree up...in time for the first advent. I can't wait.
                            Am not looking forward to Christmas shopping though. And organising Christmas dinner...I need chairs...we only have 5 dining chairs & we're having 16 people for dinner....let me do the math.......
                            "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

There are some stations that went to all carols a couple of weeks ago.

Bah humbug.

The songs are fun, but not a steady dose of them for 6+ weeks
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

When my favorite station started playing caroles a week or two ago, I switched in the car. I'm not a Scrooge, but I can't take non-stop Christmas music this early even on the drive to and from work.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X