GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
    I'm the same with the credit card - mainly because I refuse to ever pay interest
    I do end up paying interest on things like trips, everything goes on the card, especially hotels, airfare, tours, etc. Once I'm there, I use cash for most things.

And I always use store cards for big purchases. I'm a big believer in "no interest for 2 years", etc. Buy a big item I need, and just work to pay that off before anything else is purchased. Works out great for things like furniture and appliances. I always end up paying it off early, so no interest is ever paid. Same as cash, but I get to take it home.
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
    William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
    Anon

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      Exactly. People should do what they can do. and it's a choice that everyone needs to make for themselves.

When I do go to cons, I COULD rack up a few thousand on the credit card buying auction items. but I CHOOSE not to simply because I was raised not to do things like that. I grew up in garage sale clothes and was taught that if you want something you save for it and after you've saved, if you still want it, get it...but take care of it. So I just can't do the auction thing. I get this immediate 'omg, what am I doing????' and I just can't do it. The closest I ever came was at MTM where i was in the 'last man standing' auction for some of the nautical flags they had on the stage....I chickened out just a few seconds too soon. I do regret it because I was the only person in my group that didn't get one. And I could have afforded it but I just can't break decades of training. I wish I'd stayed standing for just a little bit more.

I don't begrudge anyone that can. I say to folks, life is too short, live it. I wish i could just hop on a plane anytime the whim struck me...but I can't even take recreational sick days from work without spending the whole day worrying 'what if someone finds out I'm not really sick?????'

It's just how I'm programmed.

When I went to my first gatecon, I was in a job that paid 12 an hour and i scrimped and saved and ate 89 cent frozen dinners for lunch and dinner and went without a lot of stuff to save up the air fare and other money. had a great time, but I know what it's like to go to an event and have to choose between a souvenir or dinner.

I'm lucky enough now that i'm in a job where I have more money and things aren't quite that tight, but I still just can't let that mindframe go.
      I know exactly what you mean. My father lived through the Depression. It is because of my upbringing that I have always been responsible when it comes to money. I don't have debt and never put anything on my credit card that I don't have money in the bank to pay for immediately. For me the card is a convenience and I also gain points for free air travel (which comes in handy for cons) . Believe it or not, my upbringing does make me think about what I spend at the auctions but my parents also raised me to give what I can so that wins out. I am lucky enough to be in a position to do that. But the beauty of the Gabit events is that everyone can contribute to the charities through the raffles and bucket runs, etc. You also contribute by volunteering, the events would not be the success they are without all the fabulous volunteers.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

STARSONG101 pm me your email either here or on the gabit forum

Comment

well, i'll be seeing amanda in 2 more days at the dragon con. can't wait. the con sounds like a lot of fun.

did you'all see we raised over $6700.00 with the amanda birthday donations to S4K. that's great.

Comment

Originally posted by lame moose (mocha) View Post
            well, i'll be seeing amanda in 2 more days at the dragon con. can't wait. the con sounds like a lot of fun.

did you'all see we raised over $6700.00 with the amanda birthday donations to S4K. that's great.
            Hope you have a wonderful time. RD and CH are also to be there I understand.

As for S4K, while it is nice that over $6,700.00 was raised I have to admit to being a little disappointed. I'm sure that total includes some of us who gave but don't qualify as twitter followers and I know many gave more than $10.00 so of the over 48,000 twitter followers only a small percentage gave. Too bad, it was a beautiful idea Julia. On the positive side, a little money creates many ripples.

Comment

i did give a bit more than 10, but didn't read/remember about the tag until after I'd done it.

yeah, more would a been super, but hey, 6700 can do a LOT of good and it's 6700 less than they had a month ago. so, you know, focus on the success.
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                Hope you have a wonderful time. RD and CH are also to be there I understand.

As for S4K, while it is nice that over $6,700.00 was raised I have to admit to being a little disappointed. I'm sure that total includes some of us who gave but don't qualify as twitter followers and I know many gave more than $10.00 so of the over 48,000 twitter followers only a small percentage gave. Too bad, it was a beautiful idea Julia. On the positive side, a little money creates many ripples.
                I was also expecting a but more, and I gave more than $10, as well as to the ATonline fundraiser, and together that's over $7000. It was a great idea, it brought the fandom together in one project, and rasied money for S4K. Oh, and it was all for Amanda's birthday.

Comment

what was the ATonline fundraiser? i've never heard anything about it?

Comment

what was the ATonline fundraiser? i've never heard anything about it?
                    The ATonline fundrasier (through amandatappingonline.com) and the #ATtwitterfandomunited (inspired by Julia H) were both for Amanda's birthday and raised money for S4K, just two different choices fans could decide on.

Also, I believe the near $7000 which was raised in a months time is excellent! I wouldn't get too disappointed with what might be thought as a bad 'turnout' as we cannot tell what the finances of others might be and being thankful for any amount raised in this economy. If it was freely given without regret then it's something to focus on and be happy about. Like Sky said, it's more than S4K had a month ago.

Comment

i'm off to dragon con now. i'll give amanda a hug for each one of you. (think she'd do that?)

Comment

Mocha, you won't know 'til you ask!
                        ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                        ames on facebook
                        ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

i'm off to dragon con now. i'll give amanda a hug for each one of you. (think she'd do that?)
                          Have fun! Ditto to the others off to Dragon Con. Think of me while I am working this weekend.

Comment

well robin and amanda tweeted that they've landed and are 'there'
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              well robin and amanda tweeted that they've landed and are 'there'
                              Yeah, but then did you see the next picture!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post
                                Yeah, but then did you see the next picture!
                                I did!!!!
                                sigpic
                                My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Working...
                                X