GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    in this case it was the profanity and banging of 5 gallon buckets as drums and yelling and spilling of beer....just too much. I just wanted to watch the game, not be verbally assaulted by some person with different priorities.

I think had we been more into it we would have moved (they were free tickets). as it was, we just left and we've never gone back.

I have a very low tolerance for that kind of behavior so I don't go to sporting events. I've been to one pro baseball game in my life, 2 minor hockey games, never been to a football game...and doesn't bother me in the slightest

just too crazy and obnoxious for me
    Maybe you need to attend a curling game. Fans there are extremely well-behaved.

So, back to date possibilities. As I mentioned, I may have a weekend in Vegas next November. Would prefer not to do 2 trips in the same month but since I will know the AT6 date well in advance of arranging the Vegas trip I can hopefully avoid a conflict even if AT6 is in November.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

All the violence and nastiness of sports is why I prefer the fandom...even if sometimes it can geta little snippy...but it's way way WAY better than the hoo haa of sport activities where people end up physically hurt.
      And besides, I now have the honour & priviledge of meeting and getting know so many awesomely wonderful sweet generous people from all parts of the globe...yep...much better than sport.
      Mind you I do enjoy watching the occassional ice hockey, footy or cricket match.

So I have to just say that I keep jumping every time my phone beeps a message from twitter...I keep expecting to see the AT6 date announcement...I even dreamt it last night...can't recall what date it was tho...I think it was earlier than what I predicted.
      Last edited by Chelle DB; 31 July 2011, 12:45 AM. Reason: spelling errors...I has no spell check in GW :(
      "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
        All the violence and nastiness of sports is why I prefer the fandom...even if sometimes it can geta little snippy...but it's way way WAY better than the hoo haa of sport activities where people end up physically hurt.
        And besides, I now have the honour & priviledge of meeting and getting know so many awesomely wonderful sweet generous people from all parts of the globe...yep...much better than sport.
        Mind you I do enjoy watching the occassional ice hockey, footy or cricket match.

So I have to just say that I keep jumping every time my phone beeps a message from twitter...I keep expecting to see the AT6 date announcement...I even dreamt it last night...can't recall what date it was tho...I think it was earlier than what I predicted.
        I'm not a big "go to a sporting event' person either. I believe to really live, one needs to experience at least one game (no matter the sport) and get the full effect of being there live with all the action going on around you, but after that? Home or a sports bar where you are amongst friends and where its much safer, less expensive and just as much fun.

I'm still rooting for a late September date for AT6. My reasoning? Well, we've all heard the news that a date is imminent and being that we're going into August, I think they'll announce it sometime this month. So with a month to let the word spread like wildfire across all the social mediums, tickets will go up for sale in September giving the G4 exactly one year to plan for the event.

Not trying to gripe here, but I wish tickets weren't so expensive. I calculated last years price and the 199GBP worked out to be a little over $300 in the US with the conversion. Then, with the bank transfer fee of $50, it was almost a $400 ticket. Added with that the airfare, hotel... Argh. Very expensive weekend.

Comment

compare prices. the creation stargate cons like in vancouver and chicago are about $400 for the gold . all the seats at gabit would fit within creations gold section. plus, you get 2 autographs and one photo included in the price of the ticket with gabit. for creation that would be another $90-100. so actually it's cheaper than the creation except you get to see a few more guests. as far as i'm concerned it's a pretty good deal and you're treated much nicer. for me it's great because the only guest i really am interested in seeing is amanda. and, the gabit auction is much more fun that theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by lame moose (mocha) View Post
            compare prices. the creation stargate cons like in vancouver and chicago are about $400 for the gold . all the seats at gabit would fit within creations gold section. plus, you get 2 autographs and one photo included in the price of the ticket with gabit. for creation that would be another $90-100. so actually it's cheaper than the creation except you get to see a few more guests. as far as i'm concerned it's a pretty good deal and you're treated much nicer. for me it's great because the only guest i really am interested in seeing is amanda. and, the gabit auction is much more fun that theirs.
            Only the die hard buy gold passes () and I live about an hour from O'hare where Creation hosts this con. Costs about $5.00 in toll? Besides, I'd waive my pics as I have nearly 8 or 9 with her already. I just like going to AT events to see friends once again, listening to the panels and auction...and the possibility of visiting another country while I'm out that way.

Comment

Oh for the 'good old days' when gatecon was 200 bucks

I know how ridiculous things cost at hotels for meetings/conventions. Hundreds to thousands of dollars to rent a meeting room. $2 for every can of soda or bottle of water. $30 for a dozen cookies.

anywho, i know how expensive things are at hotels.

That said, by the time there's the air fare and hotels and con tickets, it's a $2000 weekend...and that's without me bidding on a single auction item or really buying anything in the dealer's room.(vancouver is a bit cheaper which is like it's more likely for me if there's another con there) I'd love to go to more, but after 10 years of cons, it's pretty hard to justify spending the money to basically have the same experience over and over. I've met the actors, i got the autos, there's only one left that I'd like to meet and it's not likely to happen so.....I have and likely will continue to step aside and let others have my space to have the fun
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I am planning to spend a couple of months in England so Fall or Spring would be all right with me. I took a course in Medieval History and would really like to set up a self directed tour of Medieval England. Going just for the weekend, though I would love to see you all, is on the expensive side. So if I can combine the weekend with other travel plans it makes the cost easier to justify. Of course, I love the UK all that history and you do all speak English, uh! after a fashion I am hopeless at languages., though I can muddle, very badly and a very little bit, in German and I can read French, also a bit, forget about pronouncing it. So much for the American education system and teaching foreign languages

Comment

Eagerly awaiting the date announcement, though I won't hazard a guess as to when AT6 will be. I just hope I can go. AT5 was such a fun experience that I don't want to miss the next one.

re:hockey violence. I LOVE hockey, and violence is a part of the show, like it or not. I mean, it's a bunch of consenting adults who know the rules even if they don't always abide by them, but generally speaking, they seem to. It's too dangerous not to. I have a much harder time with the violence that is a part of day-to-day life that so many people can't get out of. That offends me far more than a few guys beating each other up over a hocky puck.
                  sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

I'm chewing my nails off waiting for the annoucement as well as the impending announcement for the dinner functions for Armageddon this October...which Amanda & Alaina Huffman will be attending...tummy keeps doing backflips.
                    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                      I'm chewing my nails off waiting for the annoucement as well as the impending announcement for the dinner functions for Armageddon this October...which Amanda & Alaina Huffman will be attending...tummy keeps doing backflips.
                      Me too, well on the AT6 announcement anyway . AT5 was my first and the experience was just mind blowing. All the friendships old and new and many, many hugs! Just wonderful

Comment

Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
                        Eagerly awaiting the date announcement, though I won't hazard a guess as to when AT6 will be. I just hope I can go. AT5 was such a fun experience that I don't want to miss the next one.

re:hockey violence. I LOVE hockey, and violence is a part of the show, like it or not. I mean, it's a bunch of consenting adults who know the rules even if they don't always abide by them, but generally speaking, they seem to. It's too dangerous not to. I have a much harder time with the violence that is a part of day-to-day life that so many people can't get out of. That offends me far more than a few guys beating each other up over a hocky puck.
                        Ah, but it doesn't have to be like that. When I played hockey there was no checking and certainly no fighting. If you watch the women play hockey in the Olympics there is no checking or fighting, just skill.

As for AT being an expensive weekend, sure it is for those of us who have to come from a long way. That is the reality of the situation. I view it as a many different things which justifies the cost to me. First there is the fabulous money that is raised for charity. Second, the chance to see friends from all over the world, friends i would not see if not for this event. Third, I have not been to enough events (yet ) that I have a "been there, done that" feel to it. There are always new questions and AT does give very thoughtful answers so even if she has heard a question a hundred times before, it seems like she is answering it for the first time. Fourth, having it in a place like London is wonderful. There is so much to see and do. I have been to 3 AT events and yet feel like I have only seen a minisucle portion of the many fabulous museums. Having said all that, I know I am lucky to be able to afford to go every year.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                          Ah, but it doesn't have to be like that. When I played hockey there was no checking and certainly no fighting. If you watch the women play hockey in the Olympics there is no checking or fighting, just skill.

As for AT being an expensive weekend, sure it is for those of us who have to come from a long way. That is the reality of the situation. I view it as a many different things which justifies the cost to me. First there is the fabulous money that is raised for charity. Second, the chance to see friends from all over the world, friends i would not see if not for this event. Third, I have not been to enough events (yet ) that I have a "been there, done that" feel to it. There are always new questions and AT does give very thoughtful answers so even if she has heard a question a hundred times before, it seems like she is answering it for the first time. Fourth, having it in a place like London is wonderful. There is so much to see and do. I have been to 3 AT events and yet feel like I have only seen a minisucle portion of the many fabulous museums. Having said all that, I know I am lucky to be able to afford to go every year.
                          You are right about women's hockey, to be sure. I can just never remember seeing an NHL game sans fighting, so it's part of the (men's) sport to me.

I also have to agree with your assessment of the expense of the AT weekends. As excited as I was to meet AT, I was more excited to meet people who I'd only met online for real, in person. The expense was totally worth it just for that.
                          sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

waiting for the G4 announcement. can't wait for AT6. fortunately i will have Dragon con a month from today to hold me over till then. it will be really nice to see amanda again.

Comment

Slightly off topic - I just went on the website for the Ellen show. She has an area where you can suggest ideas, etc. I wrote a really nice piece on why she should have AT on her show....also I hear she is taking the show to Vancouver for a week in her new season. Now, if enough of you do the same (write not go to Vancouver - or both) we might be able to push it over the "perverbial" edge and get AT on the show....any volunteers!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post
                                Slightly off topic - I just went on the website for the Ellen show. She has an area where you can suggest ideas, etc. I wrote a really nice piece on why she should have AT on her show....also I hear she is taking the show to Vancouver for a week in her new season. Now, if enough of you do the same (write not go to Vancouver - or both) we might be able to push it over the "perverbial" edge and get AT on the show....any volunteers!
                                I've done my part.
                                Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                                William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                                Anon

Comment

Working...
                                X