GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by donamac View Post
    In the past they have signed pictures I took myself. I think that is ok but best to ask.
    From what I understand of what the rules state, it is fine if you took the picture yourself (since you do own the rights). What they have an issue with is someone downloading screen caps or official pictures from the internet and printing them out. A picture from an authorized dealer is perfectly acceptable of course. Basically they don't want any unauthorized copies of copyrighted images.

But you are right, if you have any questions about your item, it's best to just ask

Comment

Originally posted by ames View Post
      For people I've had this discussion with before, I tell them it's when the con is scheduled, so that's that. (Although they usually assume conference, and I tend to neglect to correct them. Apparently 'convention' translates into thousands of rabid fans milling about in crazy costumes and partaking in heated battles over minute trivia while dropping their entire life savings on over-priced memorabilia, whereas 'conference' is more well-behaved and sensible people gathering to discuss topics of mutual interest and benefit. *blinks*)

For anyone else, I'm going to a charity event, and meeting up with mates before and afterwards -- that seems to work well too!

I'm not sure as to whether the PB M&Ms were a seasonal treat or if they're here to stay in Ontario, but I'll have a gander the next time I'm in the danger zone. *ahem* ...candy aisle.

...is it a bad thing that I seem to have (hopefully only temporarily!!!) misplaced my flight itinerary? *takes breath* It's got to be in here somewhere... *pats passport to reassure myself it hasn't grown legs and walked off to join the AWOL paperwork*
      If you can't find PB M&Ms, I'm pretty sure they are a regular staple here. I can pick up some.
      sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Horse View Post
        You're doing it all wrong!

I will be working at a charity event organized by an international women's network.
        Okay, that is the BEST way to put it! :-p
        Basically, to me, it is a charity event where I meet friends ... I'll try to put it that way next time I get asked.

As for the pictures, I plan on having my pictures with Amanda signed (Cocktailparty and Photo op), but I will of course take a look at the shiny pics Gabit has to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
          Basically, to me, it is a charity event where I meet friends ... I'll try to put it that way next time I get asked.

As for the pictures, I plan on having my pictures with Amanda signed (Cocktailparty and Photo op), but I will of course take a look at the shiny pics Gabit has to offer.
          Haha! I have to admit that even though I tell my friends exactly why I'm going, I did just use the charity event excuse to my boss. I'm not sure the idea of a sci-fi con would even compute with her. But she knows I'm doing a charity concert for S4K in a couple of weeks, so that she understands.

As for what to get signed. I'm still not certain. I might bring my PU4P calendar. Or not. A couple of years ago I made an Adama/Roslin comic and had Mary McDonnell sign it at D*C, and was thinking of doing something similar for Sam/Jack. But Adama's failed pickup lines were so much easier to come up with.
          sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

LOL!! Yes.

In my case, I tell everybody I'm going to Scotland as that is where I'll be for over a week before AT5. My answer is very simple:

"It's curling season!" And they laugh. And when they say "but it will be so cold". I reply "I have a coat!"

P.S. I've even been asked if I'd be a tour guide on another trip to Ireland and Scotland in October. I somehow have become an "expert" on the country. I was there for a few weeks visiting friends during college 25 years ago and this will be my second time. Yes, I'm an expert. (Did you see me keep a straight face that time? )

It is a tough decision though. Hmmmmm. Do I keep saving my frequent flier miles for a first class trip to Australia (I already have a free economy flight) or do I cave and go back curling in Scotland. Does Ireland have curling? Probably Northern Ireland. Maybe Dublin. Does Australia have curling? I think they do, but I don't know where. Probably Sydney. I want to see the Aussie wheat harvest though. Have since I was a kid. Wherever I go, I get out of the cities into farm country. You can take the farm girl out of the country, but you can't make her stay in the cities

Comment

When people ask me why I'm going to London, I usually just say I'm meeting up with a big group of friends from all over the world (all true ) and its something we do every 18 months ish and London is the easiest place for us to converge on.

Julia(samcarterrules)
              sigpic
              Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

of course there is the old reliable explanation....i'd tell you, but then i'd have to kill you.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
                  If you can't find PB M&Ms, I'm pretty sure they are a regular staple here. I can pick up some.
                  I am bring some for the chocolate party, I think ames is talking about maybe sending some to Chelle.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    or, if you're lucky enough to win a ticket to the cocktail party, you can have that photo signed as well.

so, for anyone budgetarily constrained, you'll get at least one, possibly two photos with the price of admission to get signed...if you want to buy another, that's your choice.

Things like dvd covers, magazines (stargate ones), other memorabilia, that stuff is also okay. (fabrics aren't, so if you happen to have a costume lying around, don't bring it )

a friend of mine gave me a set of stargate coasters for christmas and they'll be my next 'con quest' to get signed.
                    Cool.

Originally posted by Andy View Post

They usually have very nice pics. I thought the ones at TSE were particularly good.

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
                    LOL!! Yes.

In my case, I tell everybody I'm going to Scotland as that is where I'll be for over a week before AT5. My answer is very simple:

"It's curling season!" And they laugh. And when they say "but it will be so cold". I reply "I have a coat!"

You might also say "it is a winter sport"!

P.S. I've even been asked if I'd be a tour guide on another trip to Ireland and Scotland in October. I somehow have become an "expert" on the country. I was there for a few weeks visiting friends during college 25 years ago and this will be my second time. Yes, I'm an expert. (Did you see me keep a straight face that time? )

It is a tough decision though. Hmmmmm. Do I keep saving my frequent flier miles for a first class trip to Australia (I already have a free economy flight) or do I cave and go back curling in Scotland. Does Ireland have curling? Probably Northern Ireland. Maybe Dublin. Does Australia have curling? I think they do, but I don't know where. Probably Sydney. I want to see the Aussie wheat harvest though. Have since I was a kid. Wherever I go, I get out of the cities into farm country. You can take the farm girl out of the country, but you can't make her stay in the cities
                    Not sure about Ireland. Never heard about curling there. Believe it or not, there is curling in Australia and NZ. Usually it involves ex-pat Canadians. I was at the World Curling Championship in Victoria, BC a number of years ago and one of the guys on the NZ team was from my hometown.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

LOL!! Yes.

Head right down south in New Zealand where it's coldest and most rugged- that's where the Scots settled That's where you will find the curling. http://www.curling.co.nz/

It's only a couple a hundy to jump the puddle from Aus to NZ if you get a good deal on tickets
                      Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by 2Shy View Post
                        Oh yes, please! Been hoping for them to come here up north too, but now luck. M&M was just recently introduced in Sweden and are super expensive, and we only got the two sorts to pick from.
                        I've also been hoping for the peanut butter cups and the penguin bars to appear here as well, but so far now luck... So yeah, kinda keeping my fingers crossed for the chocolate party

And thanks Neep for the list for 'rules'
                        No one should be denied Reese cups. That's just wrong.

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                        Don't forget peanut butter and jelly M&M's....nom. I think these might be my favorite out of all the varieties I've seen/tried thus far.

I usually just tell everyone I'm going for a convention, what kind and for whom. I gave up long ago trying to explain too much in depth as for some strange reason, not too many people I know understand or know the show. Crazy.
                        PB&J??!? I've never heard of those.

Originally posted by donamac View Post
                        Yep--my friends think I'm nuts! They just don't understand my obsession
                        It's not obsession, it's dedication.
                        Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                        William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                        Anon

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                          Have you had the dark ones? O.M.G.
                          sigpic

Comment

if anyone is interested in the york pieces(like m&ms but dark choc. peppermint just like york patties, but not with the white peppermint which is just too much - see previous post) i could bring some. i'm not planning on attending the choc. party. i'm diabetic and it's just better to not have to fight to resist, but i can bring those. and if anyone is coming from the land of tim-tams, if you have room could you smuggle 2 packages of dark chocolate ones for me. i will gladly reimburse for whatever they cost. those can be rationed out at home and last a long time. haven't been able to get them online, always out of stock.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
                              Have you had the dark ones? O.M.G.
                              yes! dark choc. pb cups are the best, as are dark choc. kit- kat bars. and it's actually healthier.

Comment

Considering Melbourne is the sports capital of Australia and further south than Sydney I can't see why Melbourne wouldn't have it...why Sydney anyway??
                                Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                                Mmmm...I just had a Reese peanut butter cup this arvo after work - they are just yummy!!!!
                                Speaking of food - I bought some real Canadian Maple syrup today but was torn between which brand to get - we have 4 brands that I am aware of, of Canadian maple syrup - today I got Steves Maple syrup. Any suggestions on what's a good quality brand?
                                "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Working...
                                X