GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
    As for the weather, Vancouver has been cool up until last week when it was very hot. Basically, you could get anything so pack for hot, cool, rain, sun, etc. i'm sure that is helpful to you.
    LOL you call high 70s and low 80s F (19-27 C)very hot? (I know some who would disagree with you ). Forecast is showing highs in upper 60s F (18-23 C) and lows around 53-55 F (12-13 C) until the 23rd. Average highs are around 71F (22 C) and lows 55 F (13C). If your used to these temps than t-shirts and having a light weight pullover for the morning and evenings should be sufficient. If your not used to it..well I'd pack a jacket and yes it's not uncommon to get some rainy/overcast days with highs in 60s like this week has been. Hope that helps.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jumble View Post
      Very helpful advice there EH-T

I leave two weeks today!!!!

Haven't even started packing yet
      Packing....packing.... I'll start that on Tuesday or Wednesday 7/28 because I leave first thing on the 29th Thurs for the airport to pickup Starsong (Pat). Got to be there around 9am. Then to the train station for Trin at noon.
      Next week I am at a writer's conference (fortunately at Seatac) so I have to get ready for that first....no packing except my query letters and first 4 or 5 chapters of my book. I'm more concerned about that right now. Through with that Sunday afternoon. Monday I will collapse and Tuesday.....pick up my broken ego off the floor and start getting ready. Did get my hair cut last week and picked up some Canadian money. So I did do something. Tuesday I will need to wash my clothes before I go. Too much to do so I won't think about anything.....better that way. Oh, must not forget the bottle of wine.
      sigpic

Comment

i'll leave the packing till the last few days.

i think just a light jacket will be enough. i prefer the cooler temps, always have. i really hate summer. especially when it gets like it is now- 90's with a heat index that brings it up to the low 100's. the humidity really does me in. it's too hot to do anything outside at all. they are predicting that for the next week almost. i get cabin fever in the summer instead of in the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by lame moose View Post
          i'll leave the packing till the last few days.

i think just a light jacket will be enough. i prefer the cooler temps, always have. i really hate summer. especially when it gets like it is now- 90's with a heat index that brings it up to the low 100's. the humidity really does me in. it's too hot to do anything outside at all. they are predicting that for the next week almost. i get cabin fever in the summer instead of in the winter.
          Oh, sooo with you on that It's been unbearably hot here the last couple of weeks (never thought you'd hear a UKer complaining about the heat, eh? ). I'm hoping Vancouver will be cooler, otherwise I'm not going to get much sight-seeing done.

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam View Post
            LOL you call high 70s and low 80s F (19-27 C)very hot? (I know some who would disagree with you ). Forecast is showing highs in upper 60s F (18-23 C) and lows around 53-55 F (12-13 C) until the 23rd. Average highs are around 71F (22 C) and lows 55 F (13C). If your used to these temps than t-shirts and having a light weight pullover for the morning and evenings should be sufficient. If your not used to it..well I'd pack a jacket and yes it's not uncommon to get some rainy/overcast days with highs in 60s like this week has been. Hope that helps.
            I hope it warms up a bit. Going from 90 to 70 will be a bit of a shock to the system. Here I was looking forward to wearing shorts.
            Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
            William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
            Anon

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
              I hope it warms up a bit. Going from 90 to 70 will be a bit of a shock to the system. Here I was looking forward to wearing shorts.
              90 to 70 is nothing! One Christmas I flew home from college - Arizona to Minnesota - and went from 80+ to below zero in a 3.5 hour flight. Needless to say I got sick!

This is the first week here in L.A. where it has felt like summer. We had been sitting very comfortable and barely getting to 80 and now the forecast for the entire week is mid to high 90s. Not sure if Vancouver is experiencing the same Low pressure system as we are right now.

Comment

Okay..for all you weather worriers, I did a ten day check on the weather (good until the 17th/18th of month) - sorry didn't go any further:

73F - 23C Suns out
                70F - 21C " "
                72F - 22C " "
                69F - 21C " "
                68F - 20C " "
                68F - 20C " "
                68F - 20C " "
                68F - 20C (some showers)
                71F - 22C (some showers)

Best I can offer, but the weather looks fairly mild. BTW - some showers doesn't mean much up this way. Oh and the lows for the nights run around 54F (12C) to 56F (13C).
                sigpic

Comment

That's beautiful weather. Hope it stays that way into early August.

It's 95 here today. Meh.
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

i was gonna say, right now it's 94 with a heat index of 110 (it was 83 with a heat index of 94 at 6am this morning)

so 70's is positively cool and i'd need jeans and tennis shoes instead of capris and sandals
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      i was gonna say, right now it's 94 with a heat index of 110 (it was 83 with a heat index of 94 at 6am this morning)

so 70's is positively cool and i'd need jeans and tennis shoes instead of capris and sandals
                      Says you. We have pretty much the same weather and though the 70's will be quite a drastic drop compared with the high 90's that has lasted here since late May, I plan on taking shorts. And wearing them. *puts foot down* It's summer fcol!

Okay, I am taking a few hoodies and my rain jacket has already made it to the pile of clothes as well as I know from experience the randomness of Vancouver weather, but as long as the temp doesnt dip into the 60's, I figure I'll be active enough with all the sightseeing to warrant wearing less clothes.

Comment

i may just, instead of 3 pairs of capris and 2 jeans, make it 2 and 3, or bring more socks for my tennies rather than sandals
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Does anyone happen to know when a tenative schedule will be posted for the second event? A friend mentioned going to Whistler a few days before the Thursday dinner but we want to make sure we are back in time and consequently want to schedule an activity Thursday morning that ends early enough in the day that we catch the right bus.

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                            here in chicago it's shorts weather if it's above 40degrees as long as there has been one day over 70(like an unwritten law). so you're good to go for shorts.

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                            Says you. We have pretty much the same weather and though the 70's will be quite a drastic drop compared with the high 90's that has lasted here since late May, I plan on taking shorts. And wearing them. *puts foot down* It's summer fcol!

Okay, I am taking a few hoodies and my rain jacket has already made it to the pile of clothes as well as I know from experience the randomness of Vancouver weather, but as long as the temp doesnt dip into the 60's, I figure I'll be active enough with all the sightseeing to warrant wearing less clothes.
                            like i said the chicago shorts rule applies here.

that's a good idea, especially for anyone going on a whale watch. it gets cold out there on the water sometimes.

Originally posted by llp View Post
                            Okay..for all you weather worriers, I did a ten day check on the weather (good until the 17th/18th of month) - sorry didn't go any further:

73F - 23C Suns out
                            70F - 21C " "
                            72F - 22C " "
                            69F - 21C " "
                            68F - 20C " "
                            68F - 20C " "
                            68F - 20C " "
                            68F - 20C (some showers)
                            71F - 22C (some showers)

Best I can offer, but the weather looks fairly mild. BTW - some showers doesn't mean much up this way. Oh and the lows for the nights run around 54F (12C) to 56F (13C).
                            thanks for the conversion. i still have trouble with that. it actually looks like very nice weather. warm enough during the day and cool enough to turn the a.c. off at night and sleep with the window open. (i think the wall has windows that open). and remember, if it's sunny it will seem warmer.(for those of you that like the heat.)
                            i will be really grateful for the decrease in heat. my 10 day forecast is for a low of 85 during the day and 70's during the night. not to my liking. i'm about ready for snow!

wow! this was my 1st multi- quote reply. what fun.

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam View Post
                              LOL you call high 70s and low 80s F (19-27 C)very hot? (I know some who would disagree with you ).
                              Spoiler:
                              Forecast is showing highs in upper 60s F (18-23 C) and lows around 53-55 F (12-13 C) until the 23rd. Average highs are around 71F (22 C) and lows 55 F (13C). If your used to these temps than t-shirts and having a light weight pullover for the morning and evenings should be sufficient. If your not used to it..well I'd pack a jacket and yes it's not uncommon to get some rainy/overcast days with highs in 60s like this week has been. Hope that helps.

19-27C is comfortably cozy - very hot is when the mercury starts edging over the 35C mark and heading up to 40C...stinking hot is 40C and over...44C plus is Netu!
                              Originally posted by jumble View Post
                              Oh, sooo with you on that It's been unbearably hot here the last couple of weeks (never thought you'd hear a UKer complaining about the heat, eh? ). I'm hoping Vancouver will be cooler, otherwise I'm not going to get much sight-seeing done.
                              Originally posted by llp View Post

73F - 23C Suns out
                              70F - 21C " "
                              72F - 22C " "
                              69F - 21C " "
                              68F - 20C " "
                              68F - 20C " "
                              68F - 20C " "
                              68F - 20C (some showers)
                              71F - 22C (some showers)

I found that the way we feel temperatures in different parts of the world vary greatly from what you are used to at home. For example, in Germany when the thermometer showed it was 5C, it felt a lot warmer than what 5C is here in Melbourne. When we went to Perth back in 96, we were out and about in 44C heat but it didn't feel like it was that hot. When it's 44C in Melbourne, you really feel the heat. The roads literally melt.
                              From what I have learned about Vancouver weather, it's quite mild. Although I'm sure those who live there will call anything over 30C a heatwave. I just have to laugh at that.
                              I'd pack like a scout - be prepared! Think of it this way, if you need or forget anything, you can always buy yourself something to keep you warm/cool. All part of the experience of traveling. Happy and safe travels everyone.
                              "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Chelle I've come to the conclusion that I'll just buy anything I need and just not worry about it

If there is a heatwave and you see someone wearing long sleeves and a sunhat and hiding under a HUGE sunshade, that'll be red-haired, fair-skinned and freckled me

Comment

Working...
                                X