GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
    They are very strictly enforced coming into NZ. Screw up and you get an instant fine. Stick an apple in your bag to eat on the plane and forget about it? $250. Declare *everything*. Any kind of food or drink, anything plant or animal based.

http://www.customs.govt.nz/traveller...ts/default.htm
    Sheesh. I may have my bags checked then. Totally glad I booked a later flight to get down to you compared with the one we were originally talking about. Would suck to miss it cos I was delayed in customs. I'll definitely be ticking off the appropriate boxes in the hope it'll speed up the process.

Comment

too bad they don't have customs officers like the one i had in iceland. i just held up my passport and he waved at me from across a very big room. and here i was all nervous about going thru customs for the 1st time.

Comment

Most customs object to fruits, vegatables and meats. However, I never heard of anyone being stopped for tea (unless it was made of something else), candy or even cookies. Baked products aren't usually a problem.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
          *adds Tea Bags onto the end of her packing list*
          Would there be room in there for some yummy tea for your roomie too

And Neep: Burt's Bees rules! Love that stuff.

And I am trying not to think about how little time I have. Not only do I have Vancouver to worry about and planning, but the weekend before I have a dance competition (my first one back since switching schools in January). I still have to finish making my dress not to mention mastering my 3rd step to music (still die at the end!) It's all a bit nerve wracking.

And I have to finish the little gift for Lies (I have decided to put the big one off until a bit later). I don't know if I will have any time to do a raffle/silent auction item.

I didn't sleep at all last night, which caused me to sleep the entire morning away, which is not good.

*stressful sigh*
          Last edited by antoa; 07 July 2010, 11:41 AM.

Comment

GENERALLY, it's raw, unprocessed food that's the issue. cause it can have buggies in it or be seeds that they don't want brought into the country.

Now there are limits in some things. such as you can only bring in one liter of alcohol itno canada per person 'for personal use'.

Best to always check the customs web site for the country you're entering.

factory processed food SHOULD be fine. Home made stuff might not be though.
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Food coming into NZ should still be sealed from the shops, and you get a form on the plane to declare stuff. We are just too reliant on our farming and agriculture industry to risk introducing any foreign diseases or pests. I noticed the the NZ Border Patrol show airs in the UK... so much drama

ETA: more in depth info. http://www.tourleader.co.nz/index.ph...nd-biosecurity

As long as it's declared you will be fine, even if they make you throw something in the bio hazard bin
              Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Oh customs. I'm going camping afterwards and ergo, need camping food....but would need to declare anything containing meat or plants.

Instead we've divvied up the meals so I am bringing the important things like chocolate, tea (and some extra for Antoa now too! hehe) and other things that won't cause any problems at either customs

(Plus our chocolate is better)
                sigpic
                Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

wait, just did some searching and found a place I can get PG tips in NZ! Yusss! I need to go on a mission to get them, and check out the one shop that sells the burt's bees lip gloss Sky was talking about the other day. Heh, anything else foreign I should be hunting down?

No Tetley's though. Chelle, that would be awesome Thanks!

ETA... just went to to cupboard... my Tetley vanilla earl grey is gone!

ETA (again) OK, stop panicking! Found it. Still have half a box. Sweet.
                  We have Tetley's across the ditch in Australia. Can you order it from here?

Lovebar made by natz099
                  My LJ * Forgotten-Secrets

Comment

Antoa ... no stress about babygifts! Think about yourself first, baby has plenty of stuff already

I prefer to bring my own tea to foreign countries as well, especially because I don't like black tea, I bring lemon flavored green tea ... YUM. And healthy too.

The SE plans all sound sooo exciting. I was recently looking at photos of our trip to Vancouver and rereading the diary I kept. Gosh, that was all so much fun!!

Not that I'm not having fun now ... being *really* pregnant in *really* warm weather with *really* swollen fingers and feet ... hehe.
                    Hopefully my water will break this sunday with the excitement of Holland in the worldcup finale!! Lol.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
                      Antoa ... no stress about babygifts! Think about yourself first, baby has plenty of stuff already

I prefer to bring my own tea to foreign countries as well, especially because I don't like black tea, I bring lemon flavored green tea ... YUM. And healthy too.

The SE plans all sound sooo exciting. I was recently looking at photos of our trip to Vancouver and rereading the diary I kept. Gosh, that was all so much fun!!

Not that I'm not having fun now ... being *really* pregnant in *really* warm weather with *really* swollen fingers and feet ... hehe.
                      Hopefully my water will break this sunday with the excitement of Holland in the worldcup finale!! Lol.
                      LOL but you don't want to miss the game becasue you are giving birth!

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Food coming into NZ should still be sealed from the shops, and you get a form on the plane to declare stuff. We are just too reliant on our farming and agriculture industry to risk introducing any foreign diseases or pests. I noticed the the NZ Border Patrol show airs in the UK... so much drama

ETA: more in depth info. http://www.tourleader.co.nz/index.ph...nd-biosecurity

As long as it's declared you will be fine, even if they make you throw something in the bio hazard bin
                        Australia is tight with their customs laws too. Tea being of plant nature could be an issue - or not....will find out. We have no problems taking it out of the country but don't bring anything in.
                        Oh yay...the dreaded swollen hands and feet thingy - had that with Niki...canckles! Stay cool Lies and elevate those feet. Hopefully bump holds off til after the game and not want to make an entrance during the game...or before would be just as good...like say on July 10...it's my nieces birthday and our anniversary - 17 years this year!
                        So glad that Holland is in but a little sad Germany is out. Can't wait for the finals to be done and life can get back to normal!
                        "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                        Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                        ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Last night I was telling my mum about the historic football rivalry between The Netherlands and Germany. She said, "I'm worried about this. You realise most normal people lost interest when New Zealand was out, right?"
                          Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

You know as soon as I heard Holland was in the playoffs, I thought "I wonder if this cause Lies to go into labour."
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

No, no, no. This is a proper Netherlands baby. It will wait until the game has concluded...then go into labor.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                                Australia is tight with their customs laws too. Tea being of plant nature could be an issue - or not....will find out. We have no problems taking it out of the country but don't bring anything in.
                                Well what I'm bringing for you will be in a manufactured and sealed bag so hopefully no problems for you getting it back home.

Comment

Working...
                                X