No announcement yet.

GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi fellow GABITeers! Sorry I haven't stopped in until now ... been super busy with late hours at work, con crud (cough), and jet lag that just won't give up - still getting up at 5:00am each morning ...

It was great meeting all of you and so happy for Kliggins and Baggie who really won the biggest prize of all: Tea with Amanda! I'm sure your memories will last!

I did my Lois Lane reporting at the SaGC thread whenever I had a free moment this past week, so please feel free to catch up there (as Baggie already has done).

I did want to share my two poems here though as other AT fans may be coming to read about just what happened last weekend in London. I think poetry is a great way of sharing a lot with a few words ... and I tried to capture what being with Amanda was like. It was an amazing event.

Peace, CG

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz
      It is Monday. It's over now
      A great weekend? Yes, it was WOW!
      What a good time was had by all
      It was such fun - we had a ball!

I'd like to thank the Gabit crew
      Yes, the G4 and stewards too
      They helped us out, kept us at ease
      For everyone they tried to please.

The organization was so fine
      No long queues so no hours in line
      Legends brought tons of stuff to sell
      I spent my money really well!

Amanda really is a saint
      She did so much without complaint
      During her talks my sides I'd clutch
      I can't remember when I've laughed so much!

The Guinness chap was there to see
      Us all stretching our 'Curly-Wurly'
      Covered in chocolate we did get
      But a new world record we did set!

A special memory of mine
      Was meeting friends I've made online
      They're all so nice, it was first-rate
      To talk....and talk about Stargate.

For charity lots of cash we made
      The excitement of the auction will never fade
      Someone, somewhere has lots to gain
      As there's enough for one Hearing Dog to train!

Before I burst out into tears
      Thanks Amanda, G4, Gabiteers
      Oh - one last thing I have to do
      Is ask, "When, oh when is Gabit 2?"
      LOL Great job! Now, are you turning this lyric into a melody and going to play on banjo?!

Comment

Originally posted by JuliaR
        Well, just got about seven hours sleep. Feeling a bit more like a human being after averaging two to
        three per night for the last six nights. <vbg>

I met with Elaine (ChopinGal) at last <<hugs>> and her lovely daughter for a all too brief chat, and it was a pleasure to introduce you at the cocktail party to Amanda as the people who'd sent her your lovely book.
        I'd *personally* like to thank all of you for coming along and
        joining us and Amanda for this weekend. You guys rock! I didn't get time to interact as much as the others with you all because of making sure that the star attraction was looked after, got to places she needed to get to <I was the blur with the shorter legs rushing alongside her and trying to
        keep up!<g>> and that her family was well looked after, but from the faces I witnessed at the autograph session, and from those of you who did talk with me, you were all obviously having a blast. (I'm finding it odd not carrying a clip board around with me at the moment!)

Controlling Amanda's talks was impossible - I definitely needed a long leash to tug on! LOL! Sue, our Steward coordinator was fab at looking after us G4 with breakfast and caffeine needs and blood pressure meds! Mind you, having risk assessed the whole shooting match, to then watch the person under your care pretend to throw herself across a fellow
        Director's car bonnet late at night did *not* do much for either my blood pressure or my sanity!!!!
        LOL!

I can assure you that Amanda had a *wonderful* time and loved every minute, from the hilarious unscheduled moments of curly wurly stretching (thank God for Wet Ones!!!) and the auction to the emotion of seeing Amanda stand in front of 250 of her very own fans. I think it will be engrained on my memory forever as you all stood and gave her a standing ovation at the end. To watch something you've planned for across 36 months of ups and downs finally come to fruition in the way that it did just choked me up, and I know Amanda won't ever forget it.

The Gabit "Hearing Dog" puppy and tremendous sum of money raised at the auction is a testament to Amanda's fans and their
        generosity of spirit and what Amanda and her fans are all about - special people, and you guys really are that.

Julia
        G4
        Julia, just now reading this ... and thank you for the kind words. We were thrilled to meet all of GABIT4 too and how wonderful that Amanda received that labor of love, "the red book", and that we were able to share more of that with her. You and Kay and Becks and John were at everyone's beck and call it seemed. And I know Amanda's prank really got your attention!

The camaraderie your group shared and the obvious affection that Amanda shared for all of you became evident as the weekend moved forward. I got to talk to John and Kamil too and was so impressed by their kindness and hospitality. And Becks, thank you for Denise, for making that "one last signature" a reality. No fan request was too small or bothersome; when Jenn was ill, you still made sure she got her autographs. Kay helped me with needed photocopying. Again, the personalized attention made everyone feel wanted and special. Kudos!

Julia, you deserve a new holiday in Scotland, and leave the clipboard at home! However, when you get back and the GABIT4 reconvene for future planning ... I can't help but think that a future GABIT with Amanda and Teryl would be a socko event!! (Hint hint!)

Comment

I feel so nostalgic .... it was a week ago today that I met all of you. It was an adventure to ride the 140 bus and it was worth every minute of it.

Dips, thank your for the banjo playing. Puts me in a happy mood .

Told hubby of everything and he was happy that first I was safe and second that I had a great time.

Baggy thank you for the dinner invite. And thanks for the photo and to all of you who signed it. When I get it , it shall be framed with both sides to show. Will cherish the memory of meeting all of you.

Kliggins thanks for the opportunity of actually seeing AT.

Flippy thank you for the badge. My momento to Gabit after con dinner.

finally but not the least, I would like to ask permission to all present at the dinner : Bags, SeaBee, Dips, Kliggins, Rune, Flippy, ForeverSG1, Mal, & Amber if I can post our pics here and in SI. You can either answer here on PM me.

Again thank you all for making last Saturday a day to remember.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
            Hi fellow GABITeers! Sorry I haven't stopped in until now ... been super busy with late hours at work, con crud (cough), and jet lag that just won't give up - still getting up at 5:00am each morning ...
            *waves* No problem.You've been busy.
            It was great meeting all of you and so happy for Kliggins and Baggie who really won the biggest prize of all: Tea with Amanda! I'm sure your memories will last!
            Thanks.They will. Thanks also for your kind words on Sunday .Pity there wasn't more time to chat,but given the size of the place,and the number of people, I'm surprised we had a chance to say hi at all.
            (I liked the foyer area layout...plenty room to relax.Bar was fine but a bit small,imo.Bar food and service was lovely..and I still crave the Bar Bites(spicy peanuts)and Satay Chicken. )
            I did my Lois Lane reporting at the SaGC thread whenever I had a free moment this past week, so please feel free to catch up there (as Baggie already has done).
            To be honest,I haven't really caught up properly..and there are literally many thousands of posts on SAGC that I haven't read.I'm going to treat those as "other people's letters" as I had no part in the book,and it's way too late for any of those posts,or others since you actually finished the tome, to be replied to !

I did want to share my two poems here though as other AT fans may be coming to read about just what happened last weekend in London. I think poetry is a great way of sharing a lot with a few words ... and I tried to capture what being with Amanda was like. It was an amazing event.

Peace, CG
            Haikus aren't easy to write..that's why I stick to the couplets !
            It was an amazing event.There have been few criticisms ,if any, on all the sites,which in itself is amazing.
            (Of course,only Gabit4 would know whether there were any complaints ,but I'm certain they did their best under the circumstances,from everything I saw/heard .)

Peace and Hope.
            Baggie
            The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by gatebee
              I feel so nostalgic .... it was a week ago today that I met all of you. It was an adventure to ride the 140 bus and it was worth every minute of it.
              I feel a bit nostalgic too,but all good things must come to an end.

Baggy thank you for the dinner invite. And thanks for the photo and to all of you who signed it. When I get it , it shall be framed with both sides to show. Will cherish the memory of meeting all of you.
              You were very welcome. The signed photo is presently well on it's way to your address,thanks to Mal.
              It was my idea to buy the pic and get all at dinner to sign the back,(thanks everyone !) but Mal's generosity is legendary.
              Can you post here and let us know when the pic arrives safely ? I asked at the Post Office and you should expect it anytime,depending on US Mail.
              (I bought a spare S/J pic in case of non-arrival.I believe in covering all bases,lol !)
              finally but not the least, I would like to ask permission to all present at the dinner : Bags, SeaBee, Dips, Kliggins, Rune, Flippy, ForeverSG1, Mal, & Amber if I can post our pics here and in SI. You can either answer here on PM me.
              Thank you for your courtesy in asking prior permission .(((((((((((GB)))))))))))))
              I'd prefer not to have any pics splashed around GW and Intel.Any pics I allowed myself to be in were intended for private use only.

Amanda's a public figure-but we fans aren't.

The Gatecon group pic caused a big outbreak of "guess the attendee ",and I'd rather we're not subjected to the same yap and speculation !

The last time I posted on Intel was back in February,I think.I'm not sure how many other attendees belong to that forum,but I no longer consider myself a member...and I assume I'm no longer on the lists anyway,as it's been quite a while since I received e-mails. *shrug*

That's just how I feel..the others will let you know how they feel,ok ? I don't want to be a spoilsport ,but I have children to protect.Several others do too,and the net isn't a safe place to be free with personal information.

If the majority say yes to posting pics,then I'd like them posted on this thread only.

(Edit : Obviously if Gabit themselves want to use our images in any way...that isn't a problem .)

Again thank you all for making last Saturday a day to remember.
              Thank you for the fun.
              Last edited by Bagpuss; 05 November 2005, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS
                I feel a bit nostalgic too,but all good things must come to an end.

You were very welcome. The signed photo is presently well on it's way to your address,thanks to Mal.
                It was my idea to buy the pic and get all at dinner to sign the back,(thanks everyone !) but Mal's generosity is legendary.
                Can you post here and let us know when the pic arrives safely ? I asked at the Post Office and you should expect it anytime,depending on US Mail.
                (I bought a spare S/J pic in case of non-arrival.I believe in covering all bases,lol !)

Thank you for your courtesy in asking prior permission .(((((((((((GB)))))))))))))
                I'd prefer not to have any pics splashed around GW and Intel.Any pics I allowed myself to be in were intended for private use only.

Amanda's a public figure-but we fans aren't.

The Gatecon group pic caused a big outbreak of "guess the attendee ",and I'd rather we're not subjected to the same yap and speculation !

The last time I posted on Intel was back in February,I think.I'm not sure how many other attendees belong to that forum,but I no longer consider myself a member...and I assume I'm no longer on the lists anyway,as it's been quite a while since I received e-mails. *shrug*

That's just how I feel..the others will let you know how they feel,ok ? I don't want to be a spoilsport ,but I have children to protect.Several others do too,and the net isn't a safe place to be free with personal information.

If the majority say yes to posting pics,then I'd like them posted on this thread only.

(Edit : Obviously if Gabit themselves want to use our images in any way...that isn't a problem .)

Thank you for the fun.
                Baggie is right gatebee. The picture should arrive very soon. ::fingers crossed:: Please post when it arrives?

I also agree with her on the photos..... The Gatecon 2004 picture sturred up quite a lot of hassle. (((((((hugs)))))))) We had a great time thouh and I hope to repeat it at some stage.

Comment

*looks lost* Intel thread??

As for photos with me in them, in the unlikely event that anyone managed that feat, then I'd rather they weren't posted anywhere online at all. Just feel free to laught at them in your own homes though

On other issues: I never realised quite how dire T4 is!!
                  LizWhite.net

Comment

This is my first post, having just joined!!
                    My husband and i were lucky enough to go to GABIT and we had the best time, just finding all the great pics on the web, our pics were ok, but i guess it is the memories we have come away with which are the best!
                    We met some great people and thought Amanda was inspiring

Anyway going back to read more posts..

Lockets24

Comment

Welcome to GW and to this thread.
                      Glad you both had a great time and yes,Amanda was inspiring.

Comment

" Meet " Gabiteers only : I contacted AmberLM by text to make her aware that Gatebee wants to know whether or not she has our permission to post the pics she took on GW/Stargate Intel forum.

Word back from Amber, is that she has no objection,she'll be offline for the next 3 or 4 days,so therefore can't post this herself.

#~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#

*Messenger runs off to check T4 for any sign of the AT interview*

*2.45 GMT ..Amanda Tapping T4.

Comment

<snip>
                          Glad you had such fun Gatebee, and I'm so pleased you liked the picture of Jack n Sam - Baggie and Mal are wonderful aren't they?

Where the photos are concerned, I'm with Baggie, Mal and Flippy in that I really, really do not want any pictures of myself put up for public viewing either here on GW or on SI or indeed anywhere else online, they were fun to do but they're not the kind of thing I would want shown to people who weren't there at Gabit and then maybe later on find them turning up online elsewhere having been posted without my knowledge.

Thank you for asking beforehand, hope I don't sound like a spoilsport but the net can be a strange place, I think Baggie says it best with 'for private use only' please. (((Gatebee)))

Comment

Originally posted by lockets24
                            This is my first post, having just joined!!
                            My husband and i were lucky enough to go to GABIT and we had the best time, just finding all the great pics on the web, our pics were ok, but i guess it is the memories we have come away with which are the best!
                            We met some great people and thought Amanda was inspiring

Anyway going back to read more posts..

Lockets24
                            Glad you had such a good time at Gabit, please feel free to share those happy memories of it with us

Comment

T4 did their usual schedule change dance.

Amanda slot began 2.25.Missed a couple of mins ,but saw the rest.Perhaps another chunk later...after Simpsons and before SG "Covenant" ?

Ha ! A Kate Bush video.Every second.No more AT.

Except as Sci Fi expert !!
                              Last edited by Bagpuss; 06 November 2005, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Bags and Mal thank you again for the pic. Once it arrives, I shall inform you .

Bags, Rune, Flippy, Mal And Amber , thanks for the quick response. I would never post a pic of other people without prior permission. I shall keep the pics in my album for me to enjoy and recall such a wonderful evening. It was very short for me in time but with pics , long will it be in my memory.

Again thank you to all.

Comment

Working...
                                X