Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
    Spoiler:
    Awww...right back at ya Cel. Not so much hurt feelings as much as I still doubt myself...and that's my own issues I have to learn to deal with. I think it helped to put out there my own experiences with the dummy...so much so that I even sat down with hubby after tea tonight and we chatted about it...I guess the need for reassurance that I did ok as a mum kicks in when I hear differences of opinion...especially when they're strongly voiced. I just need to get over my own insecurities as a parent...and that's not easy.
    Your an awesome parent Chelle. Don't ever doubt yourself as your the only expert where your kids are concerned. So called 'experts' in child rearing can write books, go on talk shows, etc.. stating what you should do as a new mother and later into their early years, but you know them best and always will as they're apart of you. There's a time when mothers need to just close the books and turn a deaf ear and trust their instincts where their children are concerned.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    sooooooooo

about those cons

I've heard a rumor that there'll be an abnormal's ball at the SE con...what costumes are folks gonna wear?
    I've got an idea, but it might involve quite a bit of...stuff which would make packing a bit tricky. Especially when there's a metal pole concerned which I know I can't take through airport security. I'm pondering it and trying to figure out if I can 'slim' it down so to speak and still keep the essence of the abnormal I've got in mind.

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
    You should be, she was pretty scary!
    She was tough. Titi's costume totally rocked the Abnormal Ball and I'm sure will once again. *nod*
    Last edited by Celandine; 24 February 2010, 11:25 AM. Reason: Hate. Spelling. Errors.

Comment

Reading about parenting is interesting. I think we will go with our gut feeling and maybe read a book or 2 about development and stuff. And I've heard to nod and smile at most advice you get (especially from the parents in law ) and then just do your own thing .. lol.

sooooooooo

about those cons

I've heard a rumor that there'll be an abnormal's ball at the SE con...what costumes are folks gonna wear?
      Hehe ... I think I'll be wearing something with lots of milkstains

I was craving for chocolate just now and came acoss the AT4 stash ... yay! Hubby didn't eat them all while I was too nauseous, so I just had a Flake .. something you can't get over here and it was yummy! That chocolateparty was so insane!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post

I was craving for chocolate just now and came acoss the AT4 stash ... yay! Hubby didn't eat them all while I was too nauseous, so I just had a Flake .. something you can't get over here and it was yummy! That chocolateparty was so insane!
        Perfect costume and one to celebrate me thinks.

I still have my chocolate stash as well. It's considerably lower than it was when I brought it home, but I'm being very greedy with it trying to make it last. I have it hidden in a jar in my cabinet and even my gf I think has forgotten about it...hopefully.

I also have some of the stroopwafels F brought me from the Netherlands. Those are sinfully delicious for an entirely different reason given their calorie count. Definitely not the thing to be indulging in with a running race a few weeks off. *g*

Comment

Spoiler:
          Awww...right back at ya Cel. Not so much hurt feelings as much as I still doubt myself...and that's my own issues I have to learn to deal with. I think it helped to put out there my own experiences with the dummy...so much so that I even sat down with hubby after tea tonight and we chatted about it...I guess the need for reassurance that I did ok as a mum kicks in when I hear differences of opinion...especially when they're strongly voiced. I just need to get over my own insecurities as a parent...and that's not easy.
          The very last thing I wanted to do was to criticise any Mum. Lord knows, I'm no saint when it comes to child raising. My rant came from the fact that they are such damn ugly things, and so spoil those wonderful little faces. I made up my mind, long before I was even married that should I have children, they wouldn't see a dummy. A decision that I managed to carry through.

Chelle, look at your kids and say to yourself "Am I pleased with the way they turned out? Am I proud of them?" Then you'll have your answer as to the success of your parenthood. I'm sure that the answer is a resounding "Yes!" to both.

((((Chelle))))

Mumsey
          For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

Oooh...
            Spoiler:
            please don't judge me now...my kids both had dummies as babies. They only ever used them when it was sleep time though...it wasn't something they had in their mouths all the time. I'm not a bad mother.
            I found that with the dummy, it was easier to take it out of the equation than a thumb...we had the dummy fairy take it once the kids reached a certain age. The dummy never interfered with my kids speech development or the development of their mouths and neither did they become addicted to it. And as Jumble said, they are so much easier to keep clean than a thumb or a teddy that they suck on...and we've been there too. And even as a stay at home mum who gave my kids all the attention they demanded...and demand they did/do well...well the dummy helped.
            There are a lot of old wives tales about the use of dummies and thumb sucking. It's almost really sad that as parents we're damned if we do and we're damned if we don't. I find even now with teenagers, the decisions I make don't always agree with everyone...I can't win either way. But please don't assume that if a parent gives their child a dummy or bottle feeds or chooses disposable over cloth nappies then their bad parents. And just to add to the infraction list...I did feed my kids baby food from a jar...on the odd occasion...I used to make batches of baby meals up and freeze them. I also breast and bottle fed my babies, mostly used disposable nappies...more so with Tom than Niki...used a dummy, as already listed, used a baby walker, gave them Gripe Water when they had bad wind, let them sleep on their tummy's and even fed them solids at an earlier than recommended age...under advisement from the doctor though. Kinda makes me look like the mother from hell doesn't it? it's so easy to judge parents, but life isn't always black and white.

So...any news yet of a date for AT5??
            Chelle - having spent time with both your kids I've always admired what a great mother you are - they're great kids and you've done an awesome job bringing them up.
            Last edited by Tal; 24 February 2010, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Ok...I'm humbled beyond words here...and to answer your question Mumsey...yes, I'm proud...immensely proud of my kids and thus far am very proud at how they have turned out. I know I', lucky to have been blessed with my two angels...for oh so many reasons. So thank you...all of you. *hugs*

Now...on to the really really important stuff...when are we getting a date for AT5??? I'm on a roll here with conventions and guests...I need more...I feel like a con junkie...give me more!!!!!!!!
              "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                I'll have to remember that for the next con.
                I've got teeth now! *gnashes*

i'm almost afraid to ask
                Feather boa and a smile?

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
                Reading about parenting is interesting. I think we will go with our gut feeling and maybe read a book or 2 about development and stuff. And I've heard to nod and smile at most advice you get (especially from the parents in law ) and then just do your own thing .. lol.

YAY! Chocolate stash! Ours went a long time ago Bout time for another one I think *g*
                sigpic
                Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

I don't think it is a rumour GabitEvents tweeted confirmation of it

I'm going to be in leather *cough* vinyl *cough* lotsa leather!!
                  sigpic

Comment

You're not a bad mother Chelle for using pacifiers. I was totally anti them so was my husband, but in the end my daughter needed a "soother" when she was a wee thing and I don't feel like a bad mum - never did. She used it rather than her thumb to go to sleep but was never given it when we went out - it was for in her cot only and only for a very small amount of time and we soon weaned her off it.

If I have any advice to give new mums (or not so new mums) it would be this.

DON'T spend all your time fretting about what everyone else is saying you should do or your child should be doing, or that your baby/child isn't doing what others are doing, or worrying that they're not holding their pencil right or haven't reached a certain standard that others have or whatever else competitive standards now exist in schools or among new mums. Just ENJOY being with them, enjoying loving them, enjoy playing with them and reading with them and having them there. Because the years fly by and before you know it they rightly have lives of their own. And if they do and they're happy, then you've done a good job anyway. And you'll realise that they grew up just fine and did all the things all the other kids did, and even if they didn't do everything everyone else seemed to do, it didn't matter, and in the end everything balanced out. And if you've spent all that precious time worrying about stuff and not simply enjoying being with them, what a waste of those years!

So don't sweat over stuff that, in the general scheme of things is unimportant, just spend the time enjoying the fact that you're being their mum and do the best you can and remember one golden rule -

TALK to them. Encourage them to talk to you. Tell them they can tell you anything and you're always there to listen, and guess what? They will talk to you and ask your advice, and then when they get older they'll still tell you everything and ask for your advice, and your relationship will be closer because of what you taught them about it when they were little.

On topic - Date for AT5? Patience people. You know we'll announce it as soon as everything is ready. You also know as soon as we can, we'll be shouting it from the rooftops.

And I have this week given it a name - you know like AT2 - the return. AT3 - reunion, and AT4 - Reflections.

I'll leave you to guess it shall I? <evil grin>

Julia
                    G4
                    To influence the quality of another's day. That is the essence of life.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JuliaR View Post
                      And I have this week given it a name - you know like AT2 - the return. AT3 - reunion, and AT4 - Reflections.

Julia
                      G4
                      *glares in Julia's direction* Well...I'm glaring south, it's roughly the right direction.

Er...

AT5 - Robot invasion?
                      sigpic
                      Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                      My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

On topic - Date for AT5? Patience people. You know we'll announce it as soon as everything is ready. You also know as soon as we can, we'll be shouting it from the rooftops.

Julia
                        G4
                        I bet I can guess the first two letters!

Are prizes given out for the most letters guessed in the theme name?

Comment

AT5 Revelations!
                          AT5 Retrospective

Comment

AT5 - Take A Look Inside!

Julia(samcarterrules)
                            sigpic
                            Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Originally posted by Tal View Post
                              AT5 Revelations!
                              AT5 Retrospective
                              Ooh, I like the second one just for the fun of having a Retro Ball. The many faces of Helen throughout the ages.

I'm definitely going as a flower child if so. *nod*

Comment

Julia
                                G4
                                You are evil! Now that the Olympics are almost at an end, let the real games begin!

My guess: AT5 - Re-auction!!

(can't wait for the "re-auction" to that suggestion )
                                Last edited by EH-T; 28 February 2010, 08:05 AM.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Working...
                                X