Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was hoping Dusty would be the one to die?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't want Dusty to die but I was still expecting her to be the "Red Shirt" of this mission simply because she was very cocky and when she went to stick her nose in the well, all the signs were pointing towards her getting hacked. I'm just glad the writers didn't go for the easy route.
    "Great... Last time I came face to face with myself, I ended up kicking my own ass..."

- John Sheppard

Comment

I actually thought Dusty was the best out of the 4 women. At first I thought she was sort of stupid/ignorant, but later she was rather endearing & funny. I wouldn't have minded if she became a recurring character, or a regular character for that matter.
      I am not responsible for the content of the message above.

Comment

I liked Dusty. I thought she was the only one with a clear personality, whether that's a good or bad thing (since obviously she got a reaction out of people). And she got a few zingers in that made me chuckle. The others I thought were kinda boring with Porter being the worst IMO. I could have done without Vega dying though. She seemed alright.

Comment

Originally posted by P5C768 View Post
          Let's be honest, an episode like this, someone is going to die.

The guy looking for his wife was obviously going to die.

I knew one of the team members would die, but I thought (hoped) it would be Dusty, not Vega. She was the worst team member since....Makepeace?...The guy who twisted his ankle?...You get the point.

She talked like a dude, in my opinion she was a poor actress (it almost looked like she wanted to look at the camera), and if I were Carson and she bossed me around that way, I would have stunned her and let the blind fog zombies find her!
          I really did think that Dusty would for a few reasons:-
          1. They made a big deal about the Vega character, so i thought they wouldnt kill her - boy i was wrong!!
          2. I didnt think they would kill Porter because NDB was a "big named actor" in Sci-fi
          3. Dusty was the lowers ranking officer
          4. Teldy was to dull a character that it would have very minimal impact.

But i must say im so glad they didnt kill Dusty, she turned out to be my fav of the guest characters, followed closely by Porter.

100th Post

Comment

I thought Teldy was the most boring. Not sure if vega was more boring than Porter though. But Vega had it coming

Comment

Originally posted by P5C768 View Post
              Let's be honest, an episode like this, someone is going to die.

The guy looking for his wife was obviously going to die.

I knew one of the team members would die, but I thought (hoped) it would be Dusty, not Vega. She was the worst team member since....Makepeace?...The guy who twisted his ankle?...You get the point.

She talked like a dude, in my opinion she was a poor actress (it almost looked like she wanted to look at the camera), and if I were Carson and she bossed me around that way, I would have stunned her and let the blind fog zombies find her!
              How did she talk like a dude? If she was more feminine, people would have been saying she was too girlie. I liked Dusty to be honest, a female version of Ronon. I didn't think she was too manly, I think she was quite quick witted, and enjoyed the action rather than sitting around doing nothing. There they were, on a mission, being surrounded by evil zombies, did you expect the girls to curl up in their sleeping bags and pj's and have a slumber fest?

As for Carson, well he did need a telling off, going off on his own. I'd have told him off to. He's not a soldier, he's been out of commision for ages, and let's face it, it wasn't really a good night to be going out for a moonlit stroll now was it?

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus_SGA View Post
                How did she talk like a dude? If she was more feminine, people would have been saying she was too girlie. I liked Dusty to be honest, a female version of Ronon. I didn't think she was too manly, I think she was quite quick witted, and enjoyed the action rather than sitting around doing nothing. There they were, on a mission, being surrounded by evil zombies, did you expect the girls to curl up in their sleeping bags and pj's and have a slumber fest?

As for Carson, well he did need a telling off, going off on his own. I'd have told him off to. He's not a soldier, he's been out of commision for ages, and let's face it, it wasn't really a good night to be going out for a moonlit stroll now was it?
                She was OVER butch, military females do not generally act like that, the jokey ness yes. But walking through a forest trying to sound overly gruff, and talking about how your priority is how many bad guys you want to kill..

A well written military female would the the Major (minus her female team remarks). The Sergeant was deliberatly made to be common as muck because TPTB have this silly idea that unless youre an officer, you're stupid and crude.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                  She was OVER butch, military females do not generally act like that, the jokey ness yes. But walking through a forest trying to sound overly gruff, and talking about how your priority is how many bad guys you want to kill..
                  No you're right, not all of them are 'butch', but I know a few who are, and who like kicking ass. You're in the forces aren't you? My Dad was, and i've worked with them for nearly 15 years, so i've seen all sorts of female personnel. I don't know the actress that well or if her voice is naturally that low, but I thought she was very quick witted, yes eager to kill the bad guys, but is that necessarily a bad thing? Maybe she wanted to proove herself as one of the boys to Sheppard? How I saw it, is she's a female version of Ronon. If it's ok for men to talk about killing the bad guys, is it not okay for women to do the same?

A well written military female would the the Major (minus her female team remarks). The Sergeant was deliberatly made to be common as muck because TPTB have this silly idea that unless youre an officer, you're stupid and crude.
                  I actually thought Teldy was very boring. Out of all three, she was my least favorite. My Dad was a Sergeant and he was called Dusty, so maybe i'm blinkered. But, I don't know, we've not really seen many officers that are below the rank of Major, have we? Although Sam in CoTG was quite.... firm.

Comment

I was hoping Dusty would accidentally breathe in her bubble gum and choke to death. She was a thoroughly irritating cliché who should never had made it from the drawing board onto the screen. IMO
                    sigpic

Comment

No you're right, not all of them are 'butch', but I know a few who are, and who like kicking ass. You're in the forces aren't you? My Dad was, and i've worked with them for nearly 15 years, so i've seen all sorts of female personnel.
                      I'm an RAF Officer Cadet, basically quite similar to Cadet Hailey in the SG1 episode Prodigey, I never pretend to be anything more. I'm doing a degree in International Politics & Strategic Studies, and getting RAF training and pay, so I have experience of the military from two perspectives, the academic side, of studying strategy and warfare, and from the actual RAF training side where I've so far spent two years with my squadron, and spent time on a fair few bases and interacted with a lot of different elements of the RAF. As such I know my place, I certainly don't think I'm as experienced as those who are currently actively serving and aren't just Officer cadets like me. But like you, my father was military, as was my mother, and when I was a teenager I was in the Air Training Corps, an RAF youth organisation for 13-20 year olds where you get a lot of basic training like weapons handling and drill etc. So I've basically grown up with it all my life, and am actively on the path to going full time (god permitting). Sorry about that long little biography of my life, just didn't want to say "yes" and make it seem like I'm pretending to be someone out there in Afghanistan.

I don't know the actress that well or if her voice is naturally that low, but I thought she was very quick witted, yes eager to kill the bad guys, but is that necessarily a bad thing? Maybe she wanted to proove herself as one of the boys to Sheppard? How I saw it, is she's a female version of Ronon. If it's ok for men to talk about killing the bad guys, is it not okay for women to do the same?

I think it is a bad thing, if it had been a bloke I'd have just said "my God.. that is NOT the kind of person I'd let into the SGC, as she's female, I chalk it up to TPTB giving the actress the wrong brief. She should have acted a lot less macho, not feminine, but along the lines of the Major. It's possible to be a strong female soldier without resorting to "huh huh huh. I wanna kill bad guys"

I actually thought Teldy was very boring. Out of all three, she was my least favorite. My Dad was a Sergeant and he was called Dusty, so maybe i'm blinkered. But, I don't know, we've not really seen many officers that are below the rank of Major, have we? Although Sam in CoTG was quite.... firm.

I have such a problem with the lack of NCOs in the Gateverse, and I'm SO disapointed that when we finally see one again, who isn't Walter or Siler, they're this bad. The NCOs make things happen in the forces and they deserve respect. If you wanted to smack me down in the middle of a warzone and say "you can either stuck with a General or a Sergeant" i'd take the Sergeant thank you. They're switched on people who know what's what, and from all the Sergeants I've met and had business with, I've never known one like Dusty.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I didn't see her as macho, rather very energetic (a bit teen-ish). I also have a feeling that her character is getting worse in the retelling of it, as opposed to the actual episode.

Comment

Originally posted by WarLud View Post
                          I actually thought Dusty was the best out of the 4 women. At first I thought she was sort of stupid/ignorant, but later she was rather endearing & funny. I wouldn't have minded if she became a recurring character, or a regular character for that matter.
                          I didn't really like her that much but I agree she was the most interesting of the B team.

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
                          maybe thats what they were going for (isnt it an obligation to have one of those characters in a zombie flick?)

i bet people thought that about ronnon when he first came to atlantis
                          Still do.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                            I'm an RAF Officer Cadet, basically quite similar to Cadet Hailey in the SG1 episode Prodigey, I never pretend to be anything more. I'm doing a degree in International Politics & Strategic Studies, and getting RAF training and pay, so I have experience of the military from two perspectives, the academic side, of studying strategy and warfare, and from the actual RAF training side where I've so far spent two years with my squadron, and spent time on a fair few bases and interacted with a lot of different elements of the RAF. As such I know my place, I certainly don't think I'm as experienced as those who are currently actively serving and aren't just Officer cadets like me. But like you, my father was military, as was my mother, and when I was a teenager I was in the Air Training Corps, an RAF youth organisation for 13-20 year olds where you get a lot of basic training like weapons handling and drill etc. So I've basically grown up with it all my life, and am actively on the path to going full time (god permitting). Sorry about that long little biography of my life, just didn't want to say "yes" and make it seem like I'm pretending to be someone out there in Afghanistan.
                            No problem, I love hearing from people with different perspectives, especially with military background. Be it as a cadet, academic or otherwise.

I think it is a bad thing, if it had been a bloke I'd have just said "my God.. that is NOT the kind of person I'd let into the SGC, as she's female, I chalk it up to TPTB giving the actress the wrong brief. She should have acted a lot less macho, not feminine, but along the lines of the Major. It's possible to be a strong female soldier without resorting to "huh huh huh. I wanna kill bad guys"
                            I see where you're coming from, it's not always a good thing to have someone a little trigger happy. Maybe she was told to be tough as nails? I don't know to be honest. I didn't find her particularly macho though to be honest. I thought she was quite funny, I prefer someone who's a bit more butch as to someone whose quite feminine to be honest. Oh I think you're absolutely right about being a strong character without resorting to that, but out of all 3 of them, I preferred her character to the others. Teldy I just found a bit bland, and Porter was more Sciency and 'cutesy' as opposed to soldier/sciency.

I have such a problem with the lack of NCOs in the Gateverse, and I'm SO disapointed that when we finally see one again, who isn't Walter or Siler, they're this bad. The NCOs make things happen in the forces and they deserve respect. If you wanted to smack me down in the middle of a warzone and say "you can either stuck with a General or a Sergeant" i'd take the Sergeant thank you. They're switched on people who know what's what, and from all the Sergeants I've met and had business with, I've never known one like Dusty.
                            In what respect did you think they were bad? Because of the 'butchness' and wanting to kick the crap out of aliens? Or did you think there was something else?

I've met a few Sergeants like that. Thankfully not my Dad though. But I do know a few noncom's who are very much like Dusty. So for me it wasn't that different. And within every Armed forces there will be different personalities, some like Dusty, some like Teldy, some like Porter. I just found it unusual that there was a female team. Personally I'd prefer a bit of a switch around. I'm not saying an all female team couldn't accomplish what the men could, but i'd prefer mixed teams..more of a balance. Personally if I had a choice between working in an all male team or an all female team, i'd chose male every time.

Comment

No problem, I love hearing from people with different perspectives, especially with military background. Be it as a cadet, academic or otherwise.
                              Good to hear. It's a shame, here in Britain we don't have the type of Military Academies the US do, so I'm at a civvy university, and all my training is done at a base elsewhere. What did you do when you worked with the forces?

:
                              I see where you're coming from, it's not always a good thing to have someone a little trigger happy. Maybe she was told to be tough as nails? I don't know to be honest. I didn't find her particularly macho though to be honest. I thought she was quite funny, I prefer someone who's a bit more butch as to someone whose quite feminine to be honest. Oh I think you're absolutely right about being a strong character without resorting to that, but out of all 3 of them, I preferred her character to the others. Teldy I just found a bit bland, and Porter was more Sciency and 'cutesy' as opposed to soldier/sciency.
                              I think it was just the direction she was given, most of my problems come from two main scenes. The one where she's talking about why she came to Pegasus, and the one where she was blowing bubble gum. She also appeared so... annoyed about Carson/Porter it antagonised the rest of her character faults. I also think in places her voice seemed like she was putting it on...

:
                              In what respect did you think they were bad? Because of the 'butchness' and wanting to kick the crap out of aliens? Or did you think there was something else?
                              Well the butchness just felt false, as I said I suspect her brief was "act like a cliche bloke". But the bit that got me was the fact that all she cared about was kicking the crap out of aliens and so on so forth. I can imagine some NCOs may be like that in the regular forces, but I can't suspend my disbelief to consider she'd be allowed into the SGC.

:
                              I've met a few Sergeants like that. Thankfully not my Dad though. But I do know a few noncom's who are very much like Dusty. So for me it wasn't that different. And within every Armed forces there will be different personalities, some like Dusty, some like Teldy, some like Porter. I just found it unusual that there was a female team. Personally I'd prefer a bit of a switch around. I'm not saying an all female team couldn't accomplish what the men could, but i'd prefer mixed teams..more of a balance. Personally if I had a choice between working in an all male team or an all female team, i'd chose male every time.

I think mixed teams are the most appropriate.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I loved Dusty. She was brilliant, IMO, so nope, I didn't want her to die. I'd rather Teldy bit the dust though. She was pretty standard fare and not exactly thrilling, IMO. Vega? Hmmm, wasn't expecting it, but I was ok with it - I didn't really know her or have the chance to know her, but her death was very unexpected! So, nope I wasn't hoping Dusty died. I liked her. She made me smile and she had such attitude.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X