Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keller's fighting skills compared to McKay's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
    But it's just not his character.

Rodney McKat doesn't want to learn hand to hand combat. He doesn't want to fight or be a warrior. He even said it in Tracker, he may not be able to rack or fight like Ronon, but at some point in time his brains will come in handy and that's how he'll save the day.

And he sort of did by fixing the teleportation device.

He is first and foremost a scientist and gadget man. He uses his brain and while he may not look down on warriors as much any more, he certainly considers himself to be above it all because of the size of his intelligence.

Jennifer is more practical. Or lacks the skillset necessary to do what Rodney does. Take your pick. Regardless, she may need the hand-to-hand skills while Rodney doesn't want them and doesn't need them.
    I see McKay as more intelligent than that. McKay would KNOW that his job is a dangerous one and often he will be in situations where his superior intelligence wont help him survive (eg a Wraith charging towards him). McKay would know that the only way to increase his chances of survival when attacked by the enemy would be to learn how to use guns and atleast some basic hand to hand combat.

I find it hard to believe that McKay wouldnt want to learn how to best defend himself because without training his chances of surviving a Wraith attack is apsolutely zero but with abit of training with guns and hand to hand combat his chances go up abit. McKay likes playing the odds and i think if there was a chance of moving the odds in his favour (even slightly) he would do everything in his power to do it.

Without training he doesnt stand a chance against a Wraith 1 on 1 but with training McKay's odd go up to around 15%. McKay would want that 15% survival chance over the 0% survival chance.

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
      I see McKay as more intelligent than that. McKay would KNOW that his job is a dangerous one and often he will be in situations where his superior intelligence wont help him survive (eg a Wraith charging towards him). McKay would know that the only way to increase his chances of survival when attacked by the enemy would be to learn how to use guns and atleast some basic hand to hand combat.

I find it hard to believe that McKay wouldnt want to learn how to best defend himself because without training his chances of surviving a Wraith attack is apsolutely zero but with abit of training with guns and hand to hand combat his chances go up abit. McKay likes playing the odds and i think if there was a chance of moving the odds in his favour (even slightly) he would do everything in his power to do it.

Without training he doesnt stand a chance against a Wraith 1 on 1 but with training McKay's odd go up to around 15%. McKay would want that 15% survival chance over the 0% survival chance.
      And so he learned how to use a gun and he used it to great effect in Tracker.

Keep in mind, though, that Rodney would probably never imagine himself as needing to get too close to the Wraith to do actual hand-to-hand combat because if he does get that close, regardless of how much training he'll have recieved, he will die.

He's not a career soldier like Ronon and Sheppard and he hasn't developed the deep-seeded survival and killer instinct that Ronon has, so fighting hand-to-hand with any Wraith is a surefire way to ensure his own death.

His best bet is to become a good enough shot that he can kill them from a distance or be good enough at his job that he can just blow them up with missiles or bombs or something.

If Rodney hadn't shot that Wraith, there was no way Keller would have survived prolonged hand combat with that Wraith.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
        If Rodney hadn't shot that Wraith, there was no way Keller would have survived prolonged hand combat with that Wraith.
        Exactly.

It seems people hate whiny Keller from Missing, but even though she learned from the experience and decided she needed some training (something alot of the haters said), and managed to defend herself for all of ten seconds against a Wraith, they still hate her. I think people just WANT to hate the character, no matter what she is like.

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
          Exactly.

It seems people hate whiny Keller from Missing, but even though she learned from the experience and decided she needed some training (something alot of the haters said), and managed to defend herself for all of ten seconds against a Wraith, they still hate her. I think people just WANT to hate the character, no matter what she is like.
          I started this thread and i certainly dont hate Keller. I just want to know why Keller seems to have more combat skills after 1 year than McKay has got after 5 years.

Comment

Perhaps not you, but there are those out there.

As I'm sure has been said, McKay seems to have improved quite a lot with fire arms. Obviously he thought that was a better way to go than hand to hand. After what happened in Missing, I can see why keller would learn some self defence skills. Remember, Rodney was the one who killed the Wraith, Keller basically just protected herself from it's attacks. Now, people who scoffed at Keller being whiny and questioned why she didn't have much/any combat training are going around the forums and complaining that she HAS had some training and learned how to defend herself, blowing it out of proportion with 'NinjaKellerLOL!' comments. Again, maybe not you, but I wasn't directing the comment at any specific people.

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
              It's kinda hard to do anything else when the actor isn't in good enough shape to pull it off. Not that I'm insulting or making fun of DH's physique, just stating the obvious.
              Umm... people of David Hewlett's stature can certainly pull out anything as good as people of Jewel Staite's stature.

Jewel Staite is a scrawny little twig, like me. Pit her up against someone like David and he can knock her flat on her behind in 10 seconds if he just puts a little strength into it.

After all, Jewel isn't some kind of mountain of muscle nor is she a martial arts expert like Rachel Lutrell. She's, you know, scrawny.

David's got meat on his arms. Meat hurts if you swing it. Bony arms don't hurt as much if you swing them. Now she can probably outrun and outlast him, but brute strength and fighting ability in hand-to-hand combat?

David's physique is not what's holding Rodney back.

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
              Perhaps not you, but there are those out there.

As I'm sure has been said, McKay seems to have improved quite a lot with fire arms. Obviously he thought that was a better way to go than hand to hand. After what happened in Missing, I can see why keller would learn some self defence skills. Remember, Rodney was the one who killed the Wraith, Keller basically just protected herself from it's attacks. Now, people who scoffed at Keller being whiny and questioned why she didn't have much/any combat training are going around the forums and complaining that she HAS had some training and learned how to defend herself, blowing it out of proportion with 'NinjaKellerLOL!' comments. Again, maybe not you, but I wasn't directing the comment at any specific people.
              The thing is that they don't always have guns at hand. They get ambushed and captured often enough for him to need to get a little hand-to-hand combat training.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                The thing is that they don't always have guns at hand. They get ambushed and captured often enough for him to need to get a little hand-to-hand combat training.
                I admit I still haven't seen most of season 3, but from the episodes I have seen when the team does get ambushed, I think they usually get captured because they get stunned during a firefight. The Queen is a recent example that.

As far as I can remember (which is not much after my test today), I think the only time McKay has had to resort to hand-to-hand fighting was in The Hive to escape from Ford's cave. Granted he was hyped up on the enzyme, but he seemed capable enough taking down the guard. Other than that I think, he's usually been ambushed and captured with a teammate, so if they haven't been stunned yet, he can usually call upon them to help him, like how he called for Ronon in Tracker.

So given those circumstances, I think it makes sense that in the past few years McKay has spent more time learning to shoot properly than how to fight unarmed. From the episodes I've seen, McKay seems more like the type who will fight when he has to, but will run or call for help before he tries to take someone down in hand-to-hand fighting. I think he knows he's got better odds running from a Wraith rather than trying to fight it hand-to-hand.

Of course, this time he was in trouble because Ronon couldn't help him and the rest of his team wasn't there. I think after this experience McKay might take a greater interest in learning to spar, like I think Keller did after the events of Missing. It could also be a way to build on his friendship with Ronon, though I don't imagine we'll ever get to see that with this being the last season.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
                  David Hewlett may no be able to run a marathon (most of us cant) but he is certainly fit enough to film a convincing fight scene.
                  Umm... people of David Hewlett's stature can certainly pull out anything as good as people of Jewel Staite's stature.
                  Can either of you give me an example of someone of DH's stature giving a convincing martial arts performance?
                  || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

I was impressed , but she could have used those in "Missing"

all these years why can't McKay fight like that ??
                    sigpic
                    May the odds be ever in your Favor ! oh and please say hello to me on Skype and Facebook

Comment

Can either of you give me an example of someone of DH's stature giving a convincing martial arts performance?
                      Sarah Michelle Gellar?
                      If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                        Stuff.
                        What if their weapons are removed and they have to make a break without them? And that's his excuse?

"Oh, when I'm taken captive, it's almost always when I'm with someone else, so I can rely on them!". Wouldn't it be better with two people capable, at least in some capacity, in hand-to-hand combat when making a break for it instead of one or more with one last person just hiding behind the others?

Martial arts, no. Brutal beating, yes. Just wail at them with hard punches instead of graceful, but weaker, ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                          Sarah Michelle Gellar?
                          Has the same physique as David Hewlett?
                          || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Martial arts, no. Brutal beating, yes. Just wail at them with hard punches instead of graceful, but weaker, ones.
                            How do you come to the conclusion that martial artists throw weaker punches than people who have no fighting training?

Comment

Has the same physique as David Hewlett?
                              Fighting wise, she's got less.

You also misinterpreted Fallen Angel. He/she was talking about different styles of fighting, not actual strength of punches; the rougher, boxing-like style versus the ballet-like grace of kung fu.

And just for the record, if your goal is to learn to defend yourself in an actual street fight, you're better off learning boxing than kung fu.
                              If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

How do you come to the conclusion that martial artists throw weaker punches than people who have no fighting training?
                                Because Jennifer isn't really that skilled at martial arts and look at those scrawny arms? Also, train a 300 pound man in martial arts and then train a 150 pound woman. Now who do you think throws the strongest punches?

Comment

Working...
                                X