Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can John Sheppard stop thinking with his libido already?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
    It's not about not being willing to do what he asks of others. It's about protocol, it's about being the leader. It's about not putting yourself in a situation where you could easily be killed. Then what will your subordinates do, without their leader there to lead them? Ask anyone with military experience, John is a bad military leader.
    And I don't see it that way. I'm not here to argue with you. I have my opinion and you have your own. And John isn't the only military leader who has ever gone on suicide missions and placed in positions where they are easily killed. Most of the great generals of our history went out onto the front lines and fought with their soldiers. In my opinion, the best leader is one that can inspire. And someone behind a desk filing out paperwork all the time isn't inspiring. Someone who is willing to do what he asks others to do, put his life on the line for his team and his friends to me is a true leader. That would inspire me to do greater things if I saw someone who was in command of me doing great things too. Maybe they are life threatening. But walking out the door, or going to sleep at night, or even driving is life threatening. No matter how safe you try to be. But this is my opinion and I'm not going to force my opinion on you. And no matter what you, or any one else says, I'm going to have my opinion. And I'm not gonna argue about it. lol You believe your right, and maybe you are. I'm not going to say your wrong. But I'm not going to change how I see it. I respect you, and your opinion. And everyone elses. No one will ever agree on everything.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by FallenAngelII
      It's not about not being willing to do what he asks of others. It's about protocol, it's about being the leader. It's about not putting yourself in a situation where you could easily be killed. Then what will your subordinates do, without their leader there to lead them? Ask anyone with military experience, John is a bad military leader.

Originally posted by SerenaSerenity View Post
      And I don't see it that way. I'm not here to argue with you. I have my opinion and you have your own. And John isn't the only military leader who has ever gone on suicide missions and placed in positions where they are easily killed. Most of the great generals of our history went out onto the front lines and fought with their soldiers. In my opinion, the best leader is one that can inspire. And someone behind a desk filing out paperwork all the time isn't inspiring. Someone who is willing to do what he asks others to do, put his life on the line for his team and his friends to me is a true leader. That would inspire me to do greater things if I saw someone who was in command of me doing great things too. Maybe they are life threatening. But walking out the door, or going to sleep at night, or even driving is life threatening. No matter how safe you try to be. But this is my opinion and I'm not going to force my opinion on you. And no matter what you, or any one else says, I'm going to have my opinion. And I'm not gonna argue about it. lol You believe your right, and maybe you are. I'm not going to say your wrong. But I'm not going to change how I see it. I respect you, and your opinion. And everyone elses. No one will ever agree on everything.
      I can see both sides of the point here but I will say this. John is the military leader, yes. But his assignment was to lead the number one team. That is his job. As the highest ranking military officer, he also is the head of all the military assigned to Atlantis. So if you want to say he's a bad military example, you're welcome to it. It may not be the norm for the military leader to be in the thick of it but John's doing the job he was ASSIGNED to do. If his superiors thought that he should lead from the back, as they say, like General Hammond at the SGC did, then they would have him do that.
      Last edited by TragicComedy; 15 November 2008, 12:50 PM. Reason: Sorry. I don't know how to multi-quote and it didn't get the first quote I wanted when I first posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
        I care little for the comic relief (as what we need relief FROM is the comic elements if you ask me), but yes, for plot definitely. I don't demand that all characters act as a proper military officer would, because not all military officers DO, but what I do want is a demonstration that even though a character does something, it's the wrong thing, and people realise this.
        Agreed.

As to the ep., well as soon as the others were questioning why Shepard had agreed to babysit some scientists, I knew exactly why he had before they cut to the reveal.

That gag has gotten old over the years. At this point, I expect nothing less from him. Anything approaching a higher level of maturity would be out of character. Yeah, I get it, he's a man, but can't the writers come up with a different shtick for him. Though doesn't matter now seeing as how the show is canceled.
        IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by TragicComedy View Post
          I can see both sides of the point here but I will say this. John is the military leader, yes. But his assignment was to lead the number one team. That is his job. As the highest ranking military officer, he also is the head of all the military assigned to Atlantis. So if you want to say he's a bad military example, you're welcome to it. It may not be the norm for the military leader to be in the thick of it but John's doing the job he was ASSIGNED to do. If his superiors thought that he should lead from the back, as they say, like General Hammond at the SGC did, then they would have him do that.
          I agree with you there.

And well, if he sat back and did paperwork all day instead of what he does, then Woolsey wouldn't have a job. And I'm rather enjoying him on the show. *nod nod* Once again, my own personal opinion.
          sigpic

Comment

Hey ... on the upside, at least he's not going after Teyla.

Comment

Rodney called him "KIRK" for a reason!
              Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                I care little for the comic relief (as what we need relief FROM is the comic elements if you ask me),
                tragic relief ?

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                  I actually thought it was a nice touch to start things off on a light hearted note to contrast to what would happened later. It doesn't strike me as terribly outrageous, hasn't this sort of thing happened before? Sheppard has gone off base before when they could have had a no-name person do it instead.
                  The point is why he went off-base. It's a bad reason.

Originally posted by SerenaSerenity View Post
                  Stuff about opinion.
                  You don't seem to understand that this isn't merely my opinion. This is regulation. This is how military leaders of various military organizations all around the world (including those of the United States of America) work! This is what military commanders around the world do!

It doesn't matter what you nor I think. It's not my opinion. It's the real world. This is why John Sheppard is such a lousy military leader.

It's not opinion, it's fact.

Originally posted by TragicComedy View Post
                  He wasn't assigned to do it at all. He was assigned to be a grunt. Then Sumner died and he got promoted to military leader. Now, normally, the military leader would do what I've said they do. John chose not to. And Elizabeth, Sam, Richard, the IOA and the United States military just let him do it since the writers have no idea of how the military (USAF in John's case) in the real world and just make stuff up as they go.

We've never seen anyone go "This is what you are to do". We've only seen people tolerate what he does (though we've seen them questioning him as well).

If John was a real person, he'd been removed from his position a long time ago!

You and SerenaSerenity seem to have very limited knowledge of how the military works. I'm telling you, it doesn't work the way the show makes us believe it works. Atlantis is a horrendously badly written show from that perspective. Not realistic at all.

Comment

meh who cares? he's a guy, I thought it was great
                    sigpic
                    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                      LOL who cares? he's a guy, I thought it was great
                      I really have no idea what kind of 40 yearold men you all know but most 40 yearold men I've known in my life don't run around hitting on people willy nilly while on missions, while on duty or run off to chase tail, leaving behind their duties when they hold important positions of responsibility, such as John's.

Soldiers trained in combat and psychological warfare also usually don't fall for the "Let's make-out"-trick and get disarmed.

Comment

I know that some people like the "humor" in it while others like to look at a man oggling an attractive woman since "boys will be boys", but come on, writers!

How did this episode start out? With another "John <3 teh ladiez" joke. Oh, he took some (soft, hah!) scientists out with a jumper (it sounds like a volunteer mission). Oh, one of them is female and attractive. So what does he do? He volunteers to stay behind just so he can flirt with her (and/or stare at her creepily without flirting).

OK... what? I'm sorry, what? Lieutenant Colonel John Sheppard, we know you're a flyboy, we know you're sex on legs, we know you like the ladies. But what?

You're the military commander of Atlantis. You shouldn't even be there. There are plenty of people with the gene on Atlantis who aren't a ranking senior member in a commanding position! From the sounds of it (and logic), you randomly volunteered to do it yourself instead of doing the more obvious: Sending someone else.

And once there,you stayed behind, not because there was a need for you to, but because you liked some chick.

It's OK to flirt with people left and right in your spare time. But while on duty? Not so much (though John doesn't seem to care about this). What if, while you're busy flirting , something were to happen back on Atlantis?

A foothoold/invasion? Explosion? An attack? Anything that requires the military commander to be present to prevent further deaths? People could die because you weren't there to prevent it because you felt like oggling some girl (who gave you the cold shoulder when you threw in a not-so-subtle pickup line, hah!)!

What if Kolya had chosen to attack the city directly (somehow) instead? What then? People could die and the city could fall because you were oggling some girl and needed 10 minutes to fly back to the city!

For the love of puppies, writers. We know you like women, you know you like to have Lieutenant Colonel John Sheppard flirt with women. But can you stop having him flirt with women at the most inopportune (and inappropriate) times?!

He has a duty to Atlantis and to Earth. But, of course, chasing tail supersedes this.

Even Teyla disapproved.
                        Seems to me too many people make too much of this issue. I saw alot more going on in this episode. It helped to set up getting Sheppard to the mainland so that part of the plot line could play out. I think it is safe to assume outer pilots usually toke the scientists to the mainland. I agree they could have found a better way to get Sheppard to the mainland but I am not the writer.

I see people post how they wish the shows had more original writing. I feel the same way about so much attack posts on Sheppard. The character like all humans is not purfect.
                        "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                        'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                        Individuality is freedom lived.
                        'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Who knows, maybe the program overode his brain a little bit....actually it would have been cool had we found out that the program was also mimicking the girl as well.
                          and, he is a very hands on type of guy. (no pun intended)

Comment

You don't seem to understand that this isn't merely my opinion. This is regulation. This is how military leaders of various military organizations all around the world (including those of the United States of America) work! This is what military commanders around the world do!

It doesn't matter what you nor I think. It's not my opinion. It's the real world. This is why John Sheppard is such a lousy military leader.

He wasn't assigned to do it at all. He was assigned to be a grunt. Then Sumner died and he got promoted to military leader. Now, normally, the military leader would do what I've said they do. John chose not to. And Elizabeth, Sam, Richard, the IOA and the United States military just let him do it since the writers have no idea of how the military (USAF in John's case) in the real world and just make stuff up as they go.

We've never seen anyone go "This is what you are to do". We've only seen people tolerate what he does (though we've seen them questioning him as well).

You and SerenaSerenity seem to have very limited knowledge of how the military works. I'm telling you, it doesn't work the way the show makes us believe it works. Atlantis is a horrendously badly written show from that perspective. Not realistic at all.
                            Okay, whatever. Like I said, I'm not here to argue with you.
                            sigpic

Comment

Okay. I know a little about the military but admittedly, I'm no expert. I do know that the Air Force is in constant contact with the show to make sure that what they do is appropriate. Now I know that the producers don't always go along with their recommendations.

For example: I saw a behind the scenes things where in Foothold, the Air Force guy said - that would never happen. Not sure which producer it was, but he said, 'What would never happen?' Air Force guy- 'They would never get out of the mountain. We wouldn't let that happen.' And the producer said, "So you're saying that if aliens ever got into a secret underground facility of yours, it wouldn't get out." AF guy-Yes.

It was really funny. But I'm getting off track. Where was I? Oh. The Air Force has always shown their admiration and backing of the tv show. It's not perfect but its a tv show.

I think the main reason we haven't seen many people tell John what to do is because if you think about it, Rodney really makes most of the plans...which until just this second, I hadn't realized either. But think about it. When they are in a crisis, who do they turn to? Rodney. He thinks up a brilliant plan and then they execute it. So really Rodney's the one with the power.

Comment

I'm surprised nobody has brought this up yet: Perhaps John had a "hallucination" of the female scientist being interested in him, which influenced his decisions? Or some other AI-induced hallucination?

Wouldn't that explain pretty much everything, and be in-line with the plot?

Comment

Working...
                                X