Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can John Sheppard stop thinking with his libido already?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cyberash View Post
    Maybe they had already 'spent the night'. The scene we saw, was from the following day.
    That's what I thought too. That Sheppard was out for the night and woke up the next day. Since he did wanna start 'tucking in' for the night. I'm guessing maybe the sun was going down or something. But I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. LOL
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
      Stuff.
      I'm sorry, when did I say men aren't like that? Those who can't control their libidos at all, that is.

I said that it was inappropriate, especially for a man of John's position. John is a lousy commanding officer because of this.

Originally posted by cyberash View Post
      Maybe they had already 'spent the night'. The scene we saw, was from the following day.
      No, it's clear the female astrobiologist had no interest in John. When John suggested they go back to the jumper, she gave him a look that signified "What?! Pah!" and didn't even dignify him with an answer.

Originally posted by :Orion Coran: View Post
      Ughh...

Why must people get so critical? It is a tv show.
      Cop-out. It's a TV-show based on real life. Thus, we expect some realism.

Guys are like that. I would know, I am one.
      You're not military commander of Atlantis. I'm a guy. I'm not like that.

That is how guys are and it is a tv show. Characters need to be human after all which involves flaws. (Flaws as in this nature that 'most', not all, but 'most' men have like Sheppard.) They need to be 'real'.
      It's a glaring flaw that surfaces way too often and it's very unbecoming of a man of his position.

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
      True, but it would also be nice for sometimes these "flaws" to actually get picked up on by senior officers.
      Exactly. If anyone had bothered to check up on John's escapes through the years, he'd be relieved of his position. He's a good soldier, but a lousy commanding officer. Now that Elizabeth is gone and no longer there to help him, he'd be toast if anyone did a "Sheppard Audit".

Comment

I have to agree with Fallen Angel, with even Ronon knowing John's reasons for helping the scientist, it wont be long before something like that becomes common knowledge on the city and people go around saying to each other...

"oh john is helping you?, he just wants to get in your pants...."

not a good rep for a commanding officer.

Plus he clearly made a pass at the female scientist, so what is she going to say when she goes back to the city, oh it was a fun trip and that creppy John guy hit on me...

also I am a guy as well and I am not like that, Orion Coran not everyone is like you, and that includes the male gender.

Comment

Originally posted by Moao View Post
          Plus he clearly made a pass at the female scientist, so what is she going to say when she goes back to the city, oh it was a fun trip and that creppy John guy hit on me...
          Exactly. He suggested they go back to the jumper together to prepare for the night (despite the fact that the city is a brisk Jumper ride away) and she was clearly irked by it judging by her reaction and refusal to even give him an answer.

As I said earlier, I can see her telling people about it and the news spreading. And what then? It would be damaging for all parties. In the real world, that is. Since this is SGA, there'll be no consequences for John from this.

Comment

Okay, this is just my opinion. I'm not trying to strong arm anyone to follow my said opinion. It is just my thought on the situation. Which I do disagree, but that's okay. I find nothing wrong with you having your own opinion about the situation. With that said, here it goes.

I think, to be honest, that it really was left up to interpretation. He couldn't been on, or off duty as far as we know because neither was stated. He could still eat with them in his off duty time and that would be why Rodney was asking about him. I do agree with that there. But he could've also been on duty. So, I think it's all really left up to you all to decide which you think goes. In my own opinion.

What I do believe though is that in my own opinion, he does make a good commander. He does what he has to to try and make sure everyone gets out of something alive. The A.I. knew that when the hallucination started because 'Kolya' mentioned killing the doctors and him failing in that aspect too. And I really don't think he's a bad guy for flirting. Bad pick up line sure. I agree to that. I don't think he's a bad commander for it though. I mean, a few people of power have made some rather.... bad decisions in real life doing their job. But they were still damned good at it. And to me, John isn't an exception to that. But that's just my opinion as I said.

Television, movies and books are all written to be seen by not just their point of view, but yours as well. So, what one person may see as a good thing, another may see as a bad or stupid thing. I accept that and have no issues with that. Cause no matter how well one tells a story, or how detailed, everyone is gonna see it in a different light. I mean, one could describe something in such detail that another couldn't possibly see anyone seeing it as something else, and yet there is always someone who does. No one can escape that. It happens. So, I have given my two cents on what I think of it. I don't wanna argue with anyone because everyone has the right to have their own opinion, in my own opinion.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SerenaSerenity View Post
              I think, to be honest, that it really was left up to interpretation. He couldn't been on, or off duty as far as we know because neither was stated. He could still eat with them in his off duty time and that would be why Rodney was asking about him. I do agree with that there. But he could've also been on duty. So, I think it's all really left up to you all to decide which you think goes. In my own opinion.
              By commander, I meant military commander of Atlantis. And as Flying Officer Bennett (who is in the British (or Canadian) air force (I think)) will attest to, John makes a horrible military leader.

John is a good soldier. But he's not a good military leader. Because military leaders are supposed to sit behind desks, supposed to stay back, the ones to make the decisions and have others obey them, not the one to constantly put their life on the line.

That and his philandering has at times cost us. It's only due to sheer dumb luck that it hasn't cost us more. If Larrin had been lying and her people were warmongers from outer space, his little impromptu tonsil hockey with her (yes, she kissed him first, but he kissed her back) could've cost us Atlantis (if they'd used the Ancient warship to go after Atlantis).

Not to mention that it's very unbecoming of a man of his age and position. He makes a great pilot and a great soldier. Military leader? Not so much.

There's also the very, very, very bad military decisions he keeps making. In "The Shrine", he took himself (military leader), Rodney (leader of the science department) and Jennifer (CMO) into Wraith-infested territory. Not one Hive, but two.

He did this fly throwing out a smoke-screen and hoping it would trick the Wraith. Why did he do this? There was nothing on that planet that really required them all to be there, as in no technology their were in dire need of.

No, it was just to have a picnic with Rodney and say goodbye before he died... and they weren't even sure of it was going to work! Here's a scenario: Jumper gets shot down, they all die, Atlantis is all of a sudden missing a military commander, leader of the science department and CMO.

Take that, Atlantis!

In "Whispers", he went with some hair-brained scheme to try to lure the creatures into the well and then blow it up. He activated the very thing that would lure them before he cranked the bucket up! He gave them a running start!

In "The Queen", he was all fine with "the plan" until it would risk Teyla's life. Then all of a sudden he tried to talk her out of it (or as other interpeted it "Tried to make sure she knew everything"). Possible fate of the entire galaxy in the balance, one of his friends might get killed, then it's a no-go.

In "First Contact", John became acting leader of Atlantis itself in Richard's absence. What does he do when the base comes under attack? That's right, he rushes into the battlefield! So if he were to croak, Atlantis would be without both its base leader ('til Richard came back and who knew how long that would take) and a military commander! It's not like he was on a mission and there was a lack of military personnel, either. He had the entire city full of them, but, noooo, he rushed off into combat to play the hero.

Then, he chose to stay behind with Radek while ordering everyone who didn't have to stay in the gate room to leave. Ok, so why did John have to be there? It's not like he knows how to read what's on the monitors (as far as we know). And it's not like he can't keep up contact with Radek through the radio!

Now, if John and Radek had died in that explosion, the base would be without the following:
              Base commander - Richard Woolsey
              Military commander - John Sheppard
              Leader of the science department - Meredith Rodney McKay
              2nd in command of the science department - Radek Zelenka

The line of succession would lead to, um... Lorne? I'm sure he'd be up for it in a situation where the base is in shambles, the gate is gone and a majority of the senior staff is dead, missing or out of contact!

And that's just what he's done lately. No, he does not make a great leader of the military of Atlantis. Because he lets his emotions get the best of him way, way too often (Hammond, for one, knew when to cut his losses and not go on that one-in-a-million rescue operation).

And his decisions are often not based on what a military leader would do but what a soldier would do. He's way too prone to putting himself in the line of fire, endangering his own life, with absolutely no regard to his own position.

Let's not even mention Chaya.

Leaders do not run head first into combat. They stay behind to direct things behind the scenes. John's unable to do this. This is why it's wholly unrealistic to have him as the military leader of Atlantis and why he makes such a terrible leader (his judgment is only slightly bad sometimes, it's the fact that he acts more like a soldier than as the military leader of Atlantis).

He does what he has to to try and make sure everyone gets out of something alive. The A.I. knew that when the hallucination started because 'Kolya' mentioned killing the doctors and him failing in that aspect too.
              The hallucination was controlled by John in part. That part was probably his own mind working against him since he's so concerned about getting others out alive.

[QUOTE=SerenaSerenity;9235468]And I really don't think he's a bad guy for flirting. Bad pick up line sure. I agree to that. I don't think he's a bad commander for it though. I mean, a few people of power have made some rather.... bad decisions in real life doing their job. But they were still damned good at it. And to me, John isn't an exception to that. But that's just my opinion as I said.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say any of that.
                I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayston View Post
                  So why did you formulate it as if someone had said what you just said when no one had said it?

Comment

ermmm... because I am a pervert?
                    I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                      By commander, I meant military commander of Atlantis. And as Flying Officer Bennett (who is in the British (or Canadian) air force (I think)) will attest to, John makes a horrible military leader.

John is a good soldier. But he's not a good military leader. Because military leaders are supposed to sit behind desks, supposed to stay back, the ones to make the decisions and have others obey them, not the one to constantly put their life on the line.

That and his philandering has at times cost us. It's only due to sheer dumb luck that it hasn't cost us more. If Larrin had been lying and her people were warmongers from outer space, his little impromptu tonsil hockey with her (yes, she kissed him first, but he kissed her back) could've cost us Atlantis (if they'd used the Ancient warship to go after Atlantis).

Not to mention that it's very unbecoming of a man of his age and position. He makes a great pilot and a great soldier. Military leader? Not so much.

There's also the very, very, very bad military decisions he keeps making. In "The Shrine", he took himself (military leader), Rodney (leader of the science department) and Jennifer (CMO) into Wraith-infested territory. Not one Hive, but two.

He did this fly throwing out a smoke-screen and hoping it would trick the Wraith. Why did he do this? There was nothing on that planet that really required them all to be there, as in no technology their were in dire need of.

No, it was just to have a picnic with Rodney and say goodbye before he died... and they weren't even sure of it was going to work! Here's a scenario: Jumper gets shot down, they all die, Atlantis is all of a sudden missing a military commander, leader of the science department and CMO.

Take that, Atlantis!

In "Whispers", he went with some hair-brained scheme to try to lure the creatures into the well and then blow it up. He activated the very thing that would lure them before he cranked the bucket up! He gave them a running start!

In "The Queen", he was all fine with "the plan" until it would risk Teyla's life. Then all of a sudden he tried to talk her out of it (or as other interpeted it "Tried to make sure she knew everything"). Possible fate of the entire galaxy in the balance, one of his friends might get killed, then it's a no-go.

In "First Contact", John became acting leader of Atlantis itself in Richard's absence. What does he do when the base comes under attack? That's right, he rushes into the battlefield! So if he were to croak, Atlantis would be without both its base leader ('til Richard came back and who knew how long that would take) and a military commander! It's not like he was on a mission and there was a lack of military personnel, either. He had the entire city full of them, but, noooo, he rushed off into combat to play the hero.

Then, he chose to stay behind with Radek while ordering everyone who didn't have to stay in the gate room to leave. Ok, so why did John have to be there? It's not like he knows how to read what's on the monitors (as far as we know). And it's not like he can't keep up contact with Radek through the radio!

Now, if John and Radek had died in that explosion, the base would be without the following:
                      Base commander - Richard Woolsey
                      Military commander - John Sheppard
                      Leader of the science department - Meredith Rodney McKay
                      2nd in command of the science department - Radek Zelenka

The line of succession would lead to, um... Lorne? I'm sure he'd be up for it in a situation where the base is in shambles, the gate is gone and a majority of the senior staff is dead, missing or out of contact!

And that's just what he's done lately. No, he does not make a great leader of the military of Atlantis. Because he lets his emotions get the best of him way, way too often (Hammond, for one, knew when to cut his losses and not go on that one-in-a-million rescue operation).

And his decisions are often not based on what a military leader would do but what a soldier would do. He's way too prone to putting himself in the line of fire, endangering his own life, with absolutely no regard to his own position.

Let's not even mention Chaya.

Leaders do not run head first into combat. They stay behind to direct things behind the scenes. John's unable to do this. This is why it's wholly unrealistic to have him as the military leader of Atlantis and why he makes such a terrible leader (his judgment is only slightly bad sometimes, it's the fact that he acts more like a soldier than as the military leader of Atlantis).

The hallucination was controlled by John in part. That part was probably his own mind working against him since he's so concerned about getting others out alive.
                      Okay, and I don't see your opinion on this aspect wrong. I just view it differently is all. And a good leader wouldn't ask someone to do something they aren't willing to go out and do themselves in my own opinion. And yes, he's a good soldier. But to be honest, if you were a soldier and your friend was about to risk their life? How would you feel about that? I know I wouldn't feel to good about it. I'd rather do it myself then risk my friend's life and they probably would feel the same if the roles were reversed. Yes, some decisions are hard to make, but he honestly doesn't ask of anything from anyone that he wouldn't go out and do himself. And I see that as a plus.

Now, I have nothing against your opinion on the matter. You have your right to it and that's cool by me. I just view it differently. It's all good in my own mind. lol Yes, if he died, then they would be out of a commanding officer and it would indeed suck. But really, he could die just tripping and falling down all those stairs. Anythings possible. I mean, it would be ironic after all the suicide missions that he's gone on to be taken out by stairs. Actually that would really suck cause then he'd be gone and I'd cry. That's besides the point though. In my own opinion of course. And you have yours. I respect your opinion. *smiles* And I have no issues with it. To each their own and I do my best to live by that rule. *nods*
                      sigpic

Comment

It's funny how most people react when you question a characters Ethics or their idea of Appropriate Behavior.

In Inferno a Super Volcano was going to erupt and John and Rodney are flirting with Norina. *Eyeroll and Head Shake*

Travelers *OMG* *Shudders*

I understand the point of having the characters ACTING like the part of the Role they play.

John is the C.O. of Atlantis, so he needs to wait for R&R like the rest of soldiers and save it for vacations.

Keller is the CMO and ALL of Atlantis personnel are her patients so she needs to wait for off time to get some action as well.

All of the main characters are in positions of COMMAND and Should start acting like it!!

I know the writers are just casting aside all realism for DRAMA, but hey!

The excuse that this is a TV show or they live in another galaxy so they have to live like monks is not the point. They are aware of the responsibility that they are undertaking! If that means that they get some action every 3 months or however long it is between R&R then so be it. They are there to do a job! Not sleep their way through the populace.
                        Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

Okay, I only read the first and last comments on this one but c'mon guys. This is Atlantis. They are practically on duty 24/7. And the thing about John being in a command position so it was far too lowly of him to come to the mainland/Atlantis might have been attacked/yada yada yada....John is not the only person in the whole city that can save the day for one thing. That takes away from everyone else's credit. He is a jumper ride away...which is remarkably fast. It doesn't hurt for him to go as long as he's not skimping on paperwork or something and if Woolsey doesn't have a problem with it, neither should you.

Now an instance of John thinking with his libido in a very inappropriate time, IMO, was when he shagged that blonde girl on an episode I can't recall the name of with the other Ancient city ship. That was soooo wrong. He was on duty and it was a mission. But this is John. He doesn't exactly follow rules all that well.

Comment

Stuff.
                            It's not about not being willing to do what he asks of others. It's about protocol, it's about being the leader. It's about not putting yourself in a situation where you could easily be killed. Then what will your subordinates do, without their leader there to lead them? Ask anyone with military experience, John is a bad military leader.

Originally posted by TragicComedy View Post
                            Okay, I only read the first and last comments on this one but c'mon guys. This is Atlantis. They are practically on duty 24/7. And the thing about John being in a command position so it was far too lowly of him to come to the mainland/Atlantis might have been attacked/yada yada yada....John is not the only person in the whole city that can save the day for one thing. That takes away from everyone else's credit. He is a jumper ride away...which is remarkably fast.
                            John is the military leader of Atlantis. If he doesn't want all of that responsibility, then he should resign from the position. He has a higher standard to contain (not hit on co-workers in icky ways like that, not skip out on his duties to chase some tail/not get so distracted someone can steal his gun if an attractive woman kisses him (and he kisses back)) and he has duties to fulfill (which, yes, does include sitting behind his desk and filling out paperwork).

Originally posted by TragicComedy View Post
                            It doesn't hurt for him to go as long as he's not skimping on paperwork or something and if Woolsey doesn't have a problem with it, neither should you.
                            The problem is why he skipped out that jumper ride. To put the moves on some girl.

Comment

I actually thought it was a nice touch to start things off on a light hearted note to contrast to what would happened later. It doesn't strike me as terribly outrageous, hasn't this sort of thing happened before? Sheppard has gone off base before when they could have had a no-name person do it instead.
                              "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

lol I don't know if I'd call John's moves icky. Lame maybe, but not icky. Ya know, for being such a hot guy, he really is so socially inadequate. But it makes him funny.

I know his job contains paperwork. Jack O'Neill complained enough about it in SG1 that there's no way I could ever be in any doubt. Obviously Sheppard didn't have too much to do at the time otherwise he wouldn't have gone to the mainland. Period.

Comment

Working...
                                X