Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think that it is wrong how we treat the Wraith in the series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fumblesmcstupid View Post
    I'm with Ronon on this one, I see the Wraith as the enemy and we just need to kill them!

In season 1-2 we just killed them!

but in Allies through now... the line is no longer just black and white.

After the retrovirus changed the wraith to human and the Queen fed on a him, it was all different it made them question weather or not we should use the retro virus.

Now, with the gene therapy... yet once again compassion is over running the fact that THEY KILL HUMANS.

I am sitting here listening to my Mom and brother feel sorry for the wraith saying that what we are doing is wrong, to just kill them off.

All I can think is...they ARE WRAITH. They don't care that they kill you or your whole family, they just cull your world, destroy whole civilizations and now we feel sorry for them???
    I agree!
    the atlantis expedition forget one thing if all wraith take the gene therapy and they don't need to feed anymore on humans whats to stop them for comiting genocide they have done that to a number of worlds(Sateda to name one) just because they wouldn't alove to be eaten
    and my question is that they would alove humans to live because in my view the only thing stoping them is the need to feed

Comment

I'm with Ronon on this one, I see the Wraith as the enemy and we just need to kill them!

After the retrovirus changed the wraith to human and the Queen fed on a him, it was all different it made them question weather or not we should use the retro virus.

Now, with the gene therapy... yet once again compassion is over running the fact that THEY KILL HUMANS.

I am sitting here listening to my Mom and brother feel sorry for the wraith saying that what we are doing is wrong, to just kill them off.

All I can think is...they ARE WRAITH. They don't care that they kill you or your whole family, they just cull your world, destroy whole civilizations and now we feel sorry for them???
      That is why I love this show so much. It leaves a moral question. One minute it is like do we kill all the Wraith like Ronon says, or do we try these other ideas. Well the other ideas has gotten Atlantis into so much hot water. Remember when Ronon yells at Sheppard in "Vengence" telling him he should of just killed Michael and ended it.

Sometimes it seems Ronon is the smart one at times. Is it because he lacks moral and compassion? No, he sees the Wraith as the enemy nothing more. Altough it seems that Sheppard only agreed to send Todd to the Iratus bug planet to only save their skins, I think there is much more to that. Has Sheppard changed his ways or was he just going with this so that they can still have a chance at trying to distripute the Retro-virus to the Wraith. Interesting how Ronon said the Retro-Virus works fine, meaning it takes care of the Wraith. However the others felt is this right?

Atlantis has made the Wraith so dynamic and interesting that it really raises a lot of questions, and it is what makes this show so interesting.

They have not lost the focus of their direction. They are still trying to deal with the Wraith, but in different ways. Now the question is, can they co-exsist. What will the Wraith become if this Retro-Virus is perfected. Atlantis tried to play God once before with Michael, and look where it got them.

This is why Atlantis is dark and has moral issues. This show has become complex like BSG, imo.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amakusa View Post
        This may come to a surprise for you, but the Wraith can still clobber Atlantis if they knew where they were. Even in the mitigated fast-forward in the Season 4 finale nothing of the Earth superior technology could do anything to stop their enemies.

If there's one thing that Earth should've figured out is that if the super technology of the Ancients wasn't enough to defeat the Wraith outright, using their own superior technology to blow up hives left and right isn't going to do it, either. Remember, even the Daedelus was hard-pressed to fighting Michael's cruiser.
        Green, because some people don't realise we don't know how many Hives are still out there, definitely considering we know they're organic and can be grown at any time.

Plus, BAMSR shows us that the Wraith WILL COLLABORATE when they have common ground.

So if a common ground is seeking to destroy Atlantis, then heck, they will. And while the Lanteans now have a few extra drones, they haven't got much besides that. They do not constantly have a BC around, and even if they did, it wouldn't do much against a dozen Hives. And we don't even know if it's only a dozen of Hives, anyway. We do NOT want to see the Wraith developing another cloning facility and new ships solely to win another war, because we know what they'll revert to, where we to push their wrong buttons. It's something Atlantis DOES NOT WANT.

So yes, it's indeed stupid to turn against every Hive present at the Asuran fight. If they send out a warning to Hives not present there, the Lanteans are screwed.

Besides, the Asurans were killing way more people in that time frame than those Wraith were, and that's why they decided to take the Replicators out.

Originally posted by ussrelativity View Post
        HA! If I was Caldwell, I would have blown it away with the first shot. They deliberately were holding themselves back.
        Yes, a member of their team was held captive on that ship. Of course they were holding back.

About that whole fight-scene? Don't complain they were holding back. Rather complain about the fact that they wrote that stupid 'let's lower our shields to let our people in' when it totally wasn't necessary, but rather written to fit the script, both the Daedalus and the Cruiser had to have the same kind of damage.

Complain about the fact that in those few seconds that the shields were down, coincidentally the hyperdrive, sublight engines, and weapons had been taken out. What a coincidence.

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

As far as I've seen, they eat us. Just as we eat other animals. And in that aspect we aren't really better then them. Because of us, many animals are extinct or on the verge of extinction. And yet some feel justified in killing them for money because they are rare. I mean, they have mates and children. Families as we would call them. And just as we view them, the wraith view us. We are animals to them. I really can't say that I see the Wraith being any different then us. They eat to survive just as we do. I mean, we have an alternative to the meats we eat and yet we still do it. I understand killing in battle. Not against self defense. But wipe them out just to do it? Yeah, totally against that. If they surrender, I don't think we should kill them anyway. I think that would be wrong.

My own personal opinion of course. Nothing against your own opinion. To each their own.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpikey View Post
            Green, because some people don't realise we don't know how many Hives are still out there, definitely considering we know they're organic and can be grown at any time.
            Spoiler:
            I think Atlantis and Earth are going to be shocked in the series finale. Meaning there are a lot of Hives still out there.

I think what Sheppard did for Todd is not going to go unpaid.

The show has not lost it's direction or jumped the shark. The Wraith are still an issue and Atlantis are still trying to find ways to deal with them.
            sigpic

Comment

A question as old as time; the ethics and morality of war time treatment of one's enemies.

Pacifism and upright morality is all well and good, but when something is trying to eat you, I think you shoot first and ask questions later.

Todd is about the only Wraith actually thinking about his food source's feelings. All the others show no such consideration.
              sigpic

Comment

I think that people tend to forget that Todd is not the face of the Wraith. He does not represent the Wraith collective. The Wraith Queens do. I think people also forget that it's not the Wraith's dependence on humans that makes them evil. It's how they act. The Wraith as a whole are still an evil species. Just like it wasn't the Goauld's need for hosts that made them evil, but the way they acted. And I think that's where the team's, and todd's, plan goes wrong. Keller's retrovirus won't change how they think. If you notice, the Wraith's "we will feed" montra has subsided. Look at their interactions with the Wraith since season 2. It's less about feeding and more about preserving their power base in the galaxy. You cannot point to the existence of Runners, Wraith worshippers, the absence of other advanced races, and the Wraith's annihilation of the Ancients as simply a product of their need to feed. No. The Wraith are evil.
                Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
                  A question as old as time; the ethics and morality of war time treatment of one's enemies.

Pacifism and upright morality is all well and good, but when something is trying to eat you, I think you shoot first and ask questions later.

Todd is about the only Wraith actually thinking about his food source's feelings. All the others show no such consideration.
                  Self defence is one thing though, out right killing, even if one were to surrender? That I do find wrong. Wether we are their food source or not. I just don't feel comfortable with killing off a race who it just so happens for us to be their food source.

We care nothing about the animals we kill and we kill tons. Alot of the times ending up not using all we kill. I just really don't see a difference between them and us. Yes self defence and war should be taken into consideration. But not all out genecide. I would more then likely have to stop watching if that were the case. I just can't see wiping out a whole race as an option. My own personal opinion of course. Nothing against yours. To each their own.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JT Travis View Post
                    Does anyone think that the Wraith might be an allegory for the extremist (emphasis on this word folks, I don't think they are all evil) Muslim world? They are a completely different culture that the good guys alternate between trying to coexist with and trying to destroy. That being said, I have no problems with wiping out the Wraith. Are they any different than bloodthirsty vampires or flesh eating ghouls? Does having advanced technology somehow make them more worthy of survival. It's an us or them situation. A deer can't learn to live with a hungry lion!
                    Certainly not. The Ori were the allegory for religious extremism, there is no similarity between religious extremists who believe in their cause to a very high level, and space vampires who have to kill humans to survive. One is ideology, the other is biology.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SerenaSerenity View Post
                      Just as we kill and eat for our own survival, they are no different. They wanna survive and live just as we do. And if the animals decided to come and wipe us out for killing them, that's the same thing really. But I just don't think that we should wipe out a race because of that. If there is another way, I'm all for it.

Prob with that is look at how we are irl towards any animal who even attacks a human. Does nto matter if it was cause we encroached into its habitat, were playing pranks with its young etc.. we kill it cause it threatened the master race (Humans).... It is the same mentality imo they bring to the wraith. We are best and anything that threatenes us needs to be wiped out!

We care nothing about the animals we kill and we kill tons. Alot of the times ending up not using all we kill.
                      And in others, we don't even use anything of what we kill..

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
                        I think that people tend to forget that Todd is not the face of the Wraith. He does not represent the Wraith collective. The Wraith Queens do. I think people also forget that it's not the Wraith's dependence on humans that makes them evil. It's how they act. You cannot point to the existence of Runners, Wraith worshippers, the absence of other advanced races, and the Wraith's annihilation of the Ancients as simply a product of their need to feed. No. The Wraith are evil.
                        Good points however even if they werent "evil" killing humans to survive regardless of good or bad isnt going to make everyone smile and like them.. I dont think there would be any friendly way to make your next meal a human on a show about humans.. its the perspective of the show..

If a chicken could watch TV for example, say a show as on about chickens and the humans that cook and eat them.. filmed from the perspective of the chicken.. who would be the bad guy then? The chicken or those that cook and eat them..
                        sigpic
                        I love the big hairy fuzzy men on TV, mmmm
                        "I'll Be Your Freyr Elrad, Wait For Me!!!
                        Me On YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/airricksreloaded

Comment

WE dont do anything to the wraith, theyre not real. /slap in the face of reality

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
                            I think that people tend to forget that Todd is not the face of the Wraith. He does not represent the Wraith collective. The Wraith Queens do. I think people also forget that it's not the Wraith's dependence on humans that makes them evil. It's how they act. The Wraith as a whole are still an evil species. Just like it wasn't the Goauld's need for hosts that made them evil, but the way they acted. And I think that's where the team's, and todd's, plan goes wrong. Keller's retrovirus won't change how they think. If you notice, the Wraith's "we will feed" montra has subsided. Look at their interactions with the Wraith since season 2. It's less about feeding and more about preserving their power base in the galaxy. You cannot point to the existence of Runners, Wraith worshippers, the absence of other advanced races, and the Wraith's annihilation of the Ancients as simply a product of their need to feed. No. The Wraith are evil.
                            This is true. However, not every single Wraith necessarily feels like that. To say that the Wraith are collectively evil because of the actions of only some of them is unfair.

Robert: So, do the Wraith feed on fear, or just life in general?
                            Me: Just life in general. But they'd probably prefer that their victims be scared.
                            Robert: So, it's like marinating them, then?

http://raethie.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Raeth View Post
                              This is true. However, not every single Wraith necessarily feels like that. To say that the Wraith are collectively evil because of the actions of only some of them is unfair.
                              Some of them? Reality check! Most of the Wraith act that way. To say that the wraith as a whole are less than malevolent because of the actions of only one Wraith is also unfair.

If the issue was the Wraith dependency on humans, I'm sure they and the Ancients would have worked out some sort of agreement. The Ancients with their intelligence could have come up with something.
                              Last edited by Ltcolshepjumper; 06 December 2008, 07:18 PM.
                              Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                              encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                              3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                              4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                              5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                                WE dont do anything to the wraith, theyre not real. /slap in the face of reality

So true LOL green!
                                sigpic
                                I love the big hairy fuzzy men on TV, mmmm
                                "I'll Be Your Freyr Elrad, Wait For Me!!!
                                Me On YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/airricksreloaded

Comment

Working...
                                X