This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by topaz_bean View Post
    It's not that I think Sci Fi relies on Stargate in general, but if the SG fanbase are alienated from the channel, it may affect Sci Fi's attitude towards SGU, not just in being picked up, but also its timeslot based on projected ratings. I imagine there's probably some sort of quiet agreement between MGM and Scifi already on the SGU front, so no doubt there will be some sort of pilot at the very least, which is why the axing of Atlantis could sound so definitive.

Again, all speculation.
    I concur with this. I will watch SGU, and I think many of us should at least give it a chance, but right now, that is the only thing I will watch. I will just wait until I can collect the other shows on DVD, or other methods over time.
    Originally posted by jenks View Post
    Soon MGM will have a stake in their own channel, they won't need Sci Fi.
    good.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
      Lost. Heroes. pffft. That's not sci-fi. I'll bet half those fans haven't even read a good SF novel
      Is this a bad time to say I haven't read any Science Fiction since I was 13, and even then it was basically limited to Anne McAffrey...well, unless you count Orwell and Huxley...

Really I have no right to call myself a respectable fan...

*Shuffles off in shame*

Night all...
      Science fiction movies are weak just where the science fiction novels are strong - on science. But they can supply something the novels can never provide - sensuous elaboration by means of images and sounds. Science fiction films are not about science. They are about disaster.

The Imagination of Disaster, Susan Sontag

This sig is sponsored by Pegasus Fried Human - The Todd's Choice

Comment

Can't say I'm surprised. I saw the writing on the wall a long time ago. If SGU has ultimately been the cause of this, I won't watch it - out of protest for SGA being treated like the unwanted child. I'll miss you SGA!
        sigpic

Comment

I read somewhere that Sci- fi channel has three empty spots. What are they going to fill the spots with we know SGU and wrestling. Well, since I don't get Sci-fi I'm not worried, however, Canadian tv stations rely on a lot of American programing. So, if there is no SGA on sci -fi there is no SGA on space or the movie channel.

I don't like it that one show gets cancelled for another SG show that hasn't proven itself yet. I don't know if my added vote would do anything since I don't have Sci- fi.

LS

Comment

Is this a bad time to say I haven't read any Science Fiction since I was 13, and even then it was basically limited to Anne McAffrey...well, unless you count Orwell and Huxley...

Really I have no right to call myself a respectable fan...

*Shuffles off in shame*

Night all...
            Don't shuffle off, topaz. I can forgive you that singular indiscretion.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidSky View Post
              I read somewhere that Sci- fi channel has three empty spots. What are they going to fill the spots with we know SGU and wrestling. Well, since I don't get Sci-fi I'm not worried, however, Canadian tv stations rely on a lot of American programing. So, if there is no SGA on sci -fi there is no SGA on space or the movie channel.

I don't like it that one show gets cancelled for another SG show that hasn't proven itself yet. I don't know if my added vote would do anything since I don't have Sci- fi.

LS
              "Sanctuary" will be filling an empty spot soon.

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
              Can't say I'm surprised. I saw the writing on the wall a long time ago. If SGU has ultimately been the cause of this, I won't watch it - out of protest for SGA being treated like the unwanted child. I'll miss you SGA!
              I was thinking the same thing. MGM cancelled SGA just so there's money to produce the new series.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
                Don't shuffle off, topaz. I can forgive you that singular indiscretion.
                No, seriously, I'm British. I'm only still conscious because I've been working nights on and off so my brain is frazzled anyway, combined with the shock of the bad news (I can't say it!), but it's actually 7am over here. I am dying.
                Science fiction movies are weak just where the science fiction novels are strong - on science. But they can supply something the novels can never provide - sensuous elaboration by means of images and sounds. Science fiction films are not about science. They are about disaster.

Comment

I think the two-hour movie announced today was directly intended to derail any fan campaign efforts.

*heads back to Lemuria to prepare*

Comment

No, seriously, I'm British. I'm only still conscious because I've been working nights on and off so my brain is frazzled anyway, combined with the shock of the bad news (I can't say it!), but it's actually 7am over here. I am dying.
                    It's after 2 in the morning over here if that makes you feel any better, although I don't see how it would.

How about the fact that I have to be up at 6 to go to work?
                    sigpic

Comment

Wow. My brain can't process this. You will have to get up an hour in my past. Like...woah...

Okay, seriously, night. Good chatting to you all. Commiserations, again.

Comment

Originally posted by ussrelativity View Post
                        I think the two-hour movie announced today was directly intended to derail any fan campaign efforts.

By George you are right! I had similar thoughts but never this coherent!

Comment

Hello Again

Folks we are all for keeping *some* levity in the thread since this is a frustrating time . However, please do not completely derail the thread with post after post of completely off topic stuff just for the sake of fun. There is a topic here and many folks are taking this quite seriously yet so please temper yourselves.

I definitely do NOT want folks to be morose either as I can see the medicinal side of laughter when one is hurting either physically OR emotionally

But keep in mind that the thread does have a topic so balance your posts out with that as well

Thank You
                          TameFarrar
                          GateWorld Moderator
                          Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                            I can't shake the feeling that Stargate fandom isn't nearly as vital to Skiffy as we like to think and that as appalling a prospect as it is, wrestling garners some core ratings. SCIFI certainly did well enough before Stargate and I think it'll continue to do well after, but it'll be interesting to see exactly what does happen and what kind of materials start getting aired after SGA and BSG are gone.
                            That's because it's not. Stargate may attract a pretty large number of viewers, but the proportion of those that could genuinely be called a fanbase is incredibly small.

Comment

Originally posted by ussrelativity View Post

I think this is intended to fill their wallets

I think they were kind of caught by surprise with the cancelation of SG1. And then again with the success of the movies that should tie the loose ends.

So I guess we can expect every show , that MGM produces in the near future to end like this.
                              "Oh we got canceled. Didn't expect that. What a shame. But look we got a movie for you! Get it tomorrow...*whispering in the background* What do you mean too obvious? Ahhh ok. Get it in half a year. Why half a year I mean we got this finished 6 months ago so..."
                              sigpic
                              Thanks for the Sig go to the talented Fainne
                              Spoiler:
                              Which Supernatural character are you? (I hate those things..but sadly it fits )
                              You're John! You are skilled and smart, but world-weary and a little jaded. You're a serial monogamist, and you love hard. You can sometimes be a little too narrow-minded, and stubborn to a fault, but your heart is always in the right place.

The GateWorld Cantina - Kara : Runner gone Wraith gone Wraith Queen gone human barmaid

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                                That's because it's not. Stargate may attract a pretty large number of viewers, but the proportion of those that could genuinely be called a fanbase is incredibly small.
                                I feel small and insignificant now. Way to bring some more darkness to my day. Thanks, Jenks.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X