Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could make a political joke right now but its best not take the thread off topic into that area. So with staying on topic, with SGA being cancelled do the ratings really hold any signifance? Will they be a factor when SGU airs?
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      I could make a political joke right now but its best not take the thread off topic into that area. So with staying on topic, with SGA being cancelled do the ratings really hold any signifance? Will they be a factor when SGU airs?
      We want higher SGA ratings for 2 reasons...

1.) To shove it in TPTB face for making the decision in the first place to cancel the show.
      2.) Higher ratings can likely ensure multiple movies on SCI FI and not just one.
      sigpic

Comment

sure they still matter. higher ratings will show MGM, TPTB and SCI FI that we still care about Atlantis and want more than one movie. as for SGU, I don't think so. SG-1 was able to help Atlantis since it was an addition to the franchise, SGU on the other hand is a replacement
        sigpic
        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Well, there was some doubt earlier today, but the debate is officially on for tonight.

Methinks current events may bolster viewership to them even more than before.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post
            Well, there was some doubt earlier today, but the debate is officially on for tonight.

Well I have no interest in the political debate. To me it's a joke. But let's not get into politics here. Wrong place for that.

As per SGA being effected, what's the worse that can happen? They cancel the show? Oh wait.

Seriously, tonight's ep is going to be one of the biggest ep of the series. I hope people will at least tune in on their DVR right after the debate. If they watch the show before 3am it will still be counted in the "Live+SD" numbers.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
              It could effect the show, but I do believe the debate will be over by then. Question is will these viewers just watch later in the night? If so it will not effect the number we see posted on SCI FI wire.

Yes, the nieslen box can measure who is changing channels, when they watch live, and when they are Fast Forwarding during DVR playback, we call this the C3 index rating.

Atlantis has actually been benefiting from C3, where as most other shows lose viewers from their original Live+SD numbers.

As per the debate, call me a crappy American, I could care less. I rather live in the world of SCI FI and Fantasy and away from evil politicians
              The debate is set up for nine 10 minute segments. Not sure if that includes commercials or not but even if it does the debate won't be over until at least 1/2 way thru the episode.
              || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

It was already expected to pull 100 million viewers. I think all shows running against it will have lower ratings but I don't think it'll effect SGA as much as other shows because of how many people are already watching it on DVR later.
                || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
                  It was already expected to pull 100 million viewers. I think all shows running against it will have lower ratings but I don't think it'll effect SGA as much as other shows because of how many people are already watching it on DVR later.
                  Actually, all the other programming on the networks are on hiatus. A lot of folks are not into the debate like myself. They are going to be channel surfing to see what is on.

Also, this episode is not a mid-season finale so it did not get the hype like a finale. So there is a lot of factors here. I think this ep is going to pull in like a 1.2 HH rating for Live + SD.

The Olympics did not impact SGA and there was 20 to 30 million viewers watching them. The debate will likely get around 50 to 60 million viewers but it will be over by 10:30pm. The average person will then turn on their show that started at 10pm and will run the DVR and fast forward through the commercials and just catch up.

Remember that any DVR playback that occurs before 3am EST goes into the Live+SD numbers you see posted on SCI FI wire.

Edit: To show how much I am interested in the Presidental debate, I am not even registered to vote and have no plans whatsoever.
                  sigpic

Comment

We get tossed in jail if we don't...

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

Actually, all the other programming on the networks are on hiatus. A lot of folks are not into the debate like myself. They are going to be channel surfing to see what is on.

Also, this episode is not a mid-season finale so it did not get the hype like a finale. So there is a lot of factors here. I think this ep is going to pull in like a 1.2 HH rating for Live + SD.

The Olympics did not impact SGA and there was 20 to 30 million viewers watching them. The debate will likely get around 50 to 60 million viewers but it will be over by 10:30pm. The average person will then turn on their show that started at 10pm and will run the DVR and fast forward through the commercials and just catch up.

Remember that any DVR playback that occurs before 3am EST goes into the Live+SD numbers you see posted on SCI FI wire.

Edit: To show how much I am interested in the Presidental debate, I am not even registered to vote and have no plans whatsoever.
                      Actually its more likely that the Olympics had a bigger impact on SGA then the presidental debate
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

If First Contact or The Lost Tribe won't reach 1,4-1,5, than I will be very angry. The second half has to reach better rating, because I am sure lot of people will mention how excellent the First Contact was.
                        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

The Olympics did not impact SGA and there was 20 to 30 million viewers watching them.
                          SGA didn't even attempt to go up against the opening ceremonies, which were the highest rated. The other Friday nights weren't that high.

The debate will likely get around 50 to 60 million viewers but it will be over by 10:30pm. The average person will then turn on their show that started at 10pm and will run the DVR and fast forward through the commercials and just catch up.
                          It went to 10:38. I stayed on the post-debate discussion until about 11:30 and then went to bed. I just can't imagine people would just jump to change the channel as quickly as you imagine. It's kind of hard to switch gears that quickly.

I think it all depends on how much the cliche image of science fiction fans is true or not. If they fulfill the cliche of being uncaring about real world events, then SGA's Live + Same day ratings will be fine against the debates.

If, on the other hand, they defy that cliche and actually have broader interests, particularly with what's been going on all week with the financial crisis, SGA's ratings will be hurt by the debates, at least on a Live + Same Day basis.

We'll see when the ratings come in.

Comment

SGA didn't even attempt to go up against the opening ceremonies, which were the highest rated. The other Friday nights weren't that high.

It went to 10:38. I stayed on the post-debate discussion until about 11:30 and then went to bed. I just can't imagine people would just jump to change the channel as quickly as you imagine. It's kind of hard to switch gears that quickly.

I think it all depends on how much the cliche image of science fiction fans is true or not. If they fulfill the cliche of being uncaring about real world events, then SGA's Live + Same day ratings will be fine against the debates.

If, on the other hand, they defy that cliche and actually have broader interests, particularly with what's been going on all week with the financial crisis, SGA's ratings will be hurt by the debates, at least on a Live + Same Day basis.

We'll see when the ratings come in.
                            There was triple the amount of people on SCI FI.com, usually gives me a good indication of how many people watched live. So I think the show could see like at least a 1.2 HH rating. But we shall see.

As per the cliche, you are totally right. A lot of SCI FI fans don't seem to care about real life politics but who really knows.
                            sigpic

Comment

Don't season premiere, seasn finale, and the mid-season two parters always see more traffic than the average episode when it comes to the message boards
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Don't season premiere, seasn finale, and the mid-season two parters always see more traffic than the average episode when it comes to the message boards
                                Yes and no, it depends. First off this ep was not a mid-season finale.

Also, if this episode pulls a 1.4 or better, the cancellation is going to hurt even more, imo.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X