Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like any good Shep whump myself, but how about WITH the other team members around for a change? That's the whole point of whump is to see the others' concern!! I feel so cheated the last few seasons with that. Common Ground? Great whump, but on another planet, no team members around, healed by the time they find him. Travelers? Little whump, on another ship, no team members around, only a small cut on the cheek by the time they find him. Outcast? Emo whump, on Earth, only Ronon around, don't mention it again once he is back with the others.

And yes, yes, we are sick....but at least we are in good company!!

Comment

That could really work as a good idea. I'd love to see that.
      "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
      'Eleanor Roosevelt'
      Individuality is freedom lived.
      'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
        Depends on the circumstances....

A blinded character usually makes for a good character study. So, if he's blinded - why? How will it advance the character? What sort of challenge should he be faced with?

Here are some ideas...

1. My first choice: Sheppard is stranded - alone and blinded - in rough terrain - middle of the forest, fallen into a deep ravine, in a critter-infested swamp, etc. Despite his blindness, he must find a way out, and a way to survive until he gets out (make weapons, find food, etc). For instance - the food aspect - he's hungry, probably can't hunt...so he'd resort to trying to eat vegetation that he can't see...lol...imagine him tasting a leaf, or a berry, or something...thinking it was okay to eat...then later sick to his stomach because whatever he ate was toxic. Stuff like that - even something as simple as finding water - would be a huge challenge and make for a good, tense story with a spattering of humor.

2. My second choice: Pretty much the same as above, only he gets help from an unseen savior. My first choice for this unseen savior would be a Wraith (perhaps Todd, but maybe not...better a Wraith who has heard of this 'Sheppard' and how he has reluctantly aided the Wraith in the recent past). Thing is - the Wraith would keep silent, never saying or doing anything to expose the fact that he was Wraith (just for the fun of it, really - he would be amused by watching how Sheppard reacts to his situation, and would have an air of superiority about himself; he'd be enjoying the control he had over the situation - namely, he knew who HE was, and who Sheppard was - but Shep was totally clueless. A whole power/control thing going on for the Wraith, mainly out of a curious study of human nature). He would offer aid, and help get Shep to safety. In this scenario, I wouldn't want the Wraith to ever reveal who he was, only to get Shep to a safe area, and then disappear. After Shep is rescued, something is found (or left behind purposely by the Wraith) so that Shep knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was a Wraith who saved him. This way, he'll never know if the next Wraith he kills was his savior, or not.

3. Third choice would be very much the same as above, only with Sheppard's savior an unattractive woman. Maybe she's a bit fat, or very plain-looking, or has a scar, or a burn on her face...something that makes her less than perfect. This is a more cliched scenario, but could be fun, and a little touching. Of course, her kindness in helping Sheppard would win him over, and maybe even win his heart. His reaction to seeing her for the first time once his sight is restored would be the make or break point for the character - does he still have affection for her despite her flaw, or is he shallow, giving her the cold shoulder instead?

So, those are some ideas. The first one - the Man Alone scenario - would be my favorite, though.

das
        I like your ideas das number 2 and 3

I like #2 because this give more credance to the Wraith as not being the "I will eat you human". But, how would the Wraith conmunicate with Sheppard?, sorry right now I can't use my imagination

and I like #3 I like to see Sheppard fall for a woman doesn't look like Larren. Someone who as you describe above.

LS

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidSky
          I like your ideas das number 2 and 3

I like #2 because this give more credance to the Wraith as not being the "I will eat you human". But, how would the Wraith conmunicate with Sheppard?, sorry right now I can't use my imagination
          He wouldn't communicate - it would be almost like scenario of the blind man and the deaf man trying to work together - only instead of being deaf, the Wraith would just be silent (he might grunt or snort, if necessary - no snarling or growling because that would sound too Wraithy). Imagine John's frustration only 'feeling' the Wraith's presence - having to trust whoever this is who's helping him - perhaps talking to himself when the Wraith shows no reaction. A possible scene...

*the Wraith shoves a piece of raw, bloody meat into Sheppard's hand - expecting him to eat it*

Sheppard: "Aah...eww...what is this? Liver?" *sniffs it, and wrinkles his nose in disgust* "Where I come from we kill our food first..."

*Wraith grunts and snatches the meat away*

Sheppard: "Hey, wait! If that's all I'm getting..." *voice trails off and he strains to hear what his companion is doing* "You still there? Hello?" *mumbles under his breath* "Why do I have the feeling I've just discovered Bigfoot...*

*Wraith builds a fire and cooks the meat by throwing it directly into the flames. He waits a little bit, then stabs the blackened meat with a stick, and takes the smoldering lump to Sheppard, sticking it in his face with a grunt*

Sheppard *cautiously feels the hot meat, then finds the stick and takes it from the Wraith who's now forcing it into his hand* : "Ya know...I'm thinking you're not a waiter in real life, are you?" *he takes a bite of the incinerated meat and makes a face* "Agh...or a cook." *Hears the Wraith snort in disgust* "NOT that I'm complaining...just a little cracked peppercorn would be nice...or a creamy bernaise sauce..." *The Wraith snorts again, this time in aggravation as he trudges off. Sheppard listens for a minute until everything falls silent, and shrugs* "Weird guy...if it is a guy. Doesn't smell so much like a guy...smells more like...shampoo..."

~~~~~~

Maybe not a great example - but that sort of idea - where the Wraith has to have great self-control and bite his tongue so that he doesn't give his identity away. For him, it would be a way to perhaps gather intel on the humans, on Atlantis, or on earth. But he knows if he speaks, his voice will give him away. Todd's situation in CG was different - he was extremely weak, and his voice only started to reverb after he began to feed. Usually Wraith have that 'echo' in their voice all the time, so he'd have to remain mute if he doesn't want to give himself away...

das
          Last edited by dasNdanger; 05 April 2008, 02:54 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crichiel View Post
            I'd like any good Shep whump myself, but how about WITH the other team members around for a change? That's the whole point of whump is to see the others' concern!! I feel so cheated the last few seasons with that. Common Ground? Great whump, but on another planet, no team members around, healed by the time they find him. Travelers? Little whump, on another ship, no team members around, only a small cut on the cheek by the time they find him. Outcast? Emo whump, on Earth, only Ronon around, don't mention it again once he is back with the others.

And yes, yes, we are sick....but at least we are in good company!!
            No! Whump is not a sickness- it's character development. *nods emphatically*

Agreed I'd love some good whump with the team around to comfort. Especially if the whump is some blindness, 'cause it would be a bit ouchy without a guide, at the very least.
            sigpic
            My LJ & Fics * Proud Member of W.A.S.P. * Pay It Forward

Comment

Enough with the whumping

Comment

Oooo...that smilie looks like it's ready to whump someone! Sheppard, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                  Yeah, that smilie looks like it just opened a big ol' can of whup a$$ on the thread! (or is it a can of whump a$$?)
                  sigpic

Comment

I posted some thoughts about this in the other thread on the subject in S4 - http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=53315

das
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                      A girl can live in hope PG
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
                        A girl can live in hope PG
                        I wouldn't want to be the one who takes away hope from a whumper

...Apparently the last person who tried disappeared and was never heard of again

Comment

Originally posted by FenRiR FoXz View Post
                          I wouldn't want to be the one who takes away hope from a whumper

...Apparently the last person who tried disappeared and was never heard of again
                          Not true. I am still here.

*holds *The Hair* hostage.
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            Not true. I am still here.

*holds *The Hair* hostage.
                            So the legend of the whumper's victim was all a lie?
                            ...and your holding Teh Hair hostage? you'll have to protect it with you life, as soon as the whumpers know and come after you you'll wish you were DEAD!

Comment

Originally posted by FenRiR FoXz View Post
                              So the legend of the whumper's victim was all a lie?
                              ...and your holding Teh Hair hostage? you'll have to protect it with you life, as soon as the whumpers know and come after you you'll wish you were DEAD!
                              I have charged and ready to blow. To stay on topic, I am going to poke out Shep's eyes.
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                I am going to poke out Shep's eyes.
                                With a spork?

Comment

Working...
                                X