This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by haloplayer View Post
    I just hope that the baby is not some Human-Wraith hybrid. If that happened i would be sick and not feel well. Also it will be completley immpossible since 2 things of a different species can not bring forth a baby.
    ummm try horse + donkey = mule (sterile but it is offspring!)

Originally posted by Reiko View Post

Better than ever

-pats- See, it isn't so bad, is it? It's not like you're gonna be traumatized for life, guys
    you wanna bet I'm not traumatized??? I've got a degree in psychology I know what trauma is!!! (and seeing rodney's a** qualifies! )

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
      If that's the actual plot I hope one thing is explained convincingly.
      Not necessarily.

It could have been just me but ever since the episode Michael, I figured Michael has had a really "now" sick and disturbing obsession with Teyla. I always had him probably thinking he could take Teyla as his Queen. How fitting would it be to get her pregnant with a creature?!

There are two people Michael hates the most on the Atlantis Ex. Which makes these two people he wants to see punished for what they did to him. He would basically see all of the Ex dead, but he would gain pleasure out of causing an unmeasured amount of pain and psychological trauma to Teyla and Carson. They were the ones closest to him, and Teyla was the fake friend.

They're relationship is the most controversial relationship in all of SGA history and totally beats out Sheppard/Kolya. Teyla basically was involved in Michael's "rape" twice. At first she was against it and refrained from it, then he went back to the wraith and he was at that point her enemy. If we go to No Man's Land, it was Teyla who ordered him injected again even though she was under direct order to do so. The problem is Michael saw Teyla.

He's the most logical enemy to do something to Teyla. And if Teyla was impregnated by a human, I sincerely doubt the mental abilities of the "thing" would be so superior. This had to be influenced by something.

Why would Michael have let Teyla go back to the one place in the Pegasus galaxy with advanced medical equipment and techniques? Nobody can be 100% certain that nothing can go wrong with a pregnancy so there'd always be a risk of an Atlantis doctor discovering that Teyla's baby wasn't what everyone was led to believe.
      I would agree with that but there are tones of loopholes that open that up for the scenario mentioned.

First off, Michael would already have a working knowledge of what was going on in the medical base on Atlantis, so who better than him to know first hand what they would do and what they wouldn't do and what medical checks there are.

If this "thing" is a of wraith descent or even a creature superior to the wraith...especially considering a Michael involvement. Go all the way back to Instinct, the writers established one fact. The Wraith basically live off of human food until around 7 or years of age. If you were doing tests, tests that really don't touch on neo-natal wraith genes and their functions, but just the blood test of the mother and a sonogram of a picture of a "human-like" fetus it's unclear whether they would be able to tell any difference or pick up any differences and end up terminating the kid. I see Michael betting on this. If we go back as far as "The Gift" and some wraith scientists were doing experiments on humans, you have no idea if that was the only person doing such tests. We don't even have to go that far back because Vengeance also showed us that he knew human physiology fairly well. There could be a huge amount of tests being done on humans in the Peggy that is...remember the Wraith are vast in number and only kept in hibernation because of lack of food population. In any event, the key point I wanted to make clear is that we can assume that Michael is aware of human physiology.

I'm sure Michael was aware there wasn't a chance that Teyla could get pregnant, but based on his vast knowledge of physiology and paticularly those in the Peggy, and then one who already has a wraith gene. There would be a higher chance of a sucessful conception.
      Click statement above to read article.

Comment

I think Teyla's character would be the best Action Mom ever, and the kid would grow up in the coolest and biggest playpen in several galaxies: Atlantis. As for how Teyla and her motherhood could/will/might actually be written, that's another story.

The thought of Michael and Carson cooking up from in vitro monstrosity and having Kanan 'implant' it seems perfectly sci-fi to me. And it was really Michael who took the Athosians? And Michael who left that guy behind posing as a Genii in 'Missing'? Mmm. Who needs the technology of the Asurans when you've got the biology of Trip... I mean, Michael?
        sigpic
        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
          I think Teyla's character would be the best Action Mom ever, and the kid would grow up in the coolest and biggest playpen in several galaxies: Atlantis. As for how Teyla and her motherhood could/will/might actually be written, that's another story.

The thought of Michael and Carson cooking up from in vitro monstrosity and having Kanan 'implant' it seems perfectly sci-fi to me. And it was really Michael who took the Athosians? And Michael who left that guy behind posing as a Genii in 'Missing'? Mmm. Who needs the technology of the Asurans when you've got the biology of Trip... I mean, Michael?
          No...not Kanan. Go back to Vengeance. I think Kanan if he doesn't show up...could be an implanted memory by Michael. He was able to control her mind once and [insert deity] knows what he could cook up again; although she has claimed that if she doesn't allow it they can't take control. Michael is an all together different story for her though.

Kanan if he does show up is just a guy she could have been macking with, but I think she was developing a relationship with him. Her feelings are wishy washy otherwise; if one considers Sunday. At this point, I'm thinking Kanan might fall in the way of the "brother" character that the reading for Teyla had. Something they were going to work with which might not pan out.

I can't see how Michael would give it to Kanan to inseminate...this was done before.

As for the Athosians, it could have been Michael. You can't forget the fact the guy has a decent army of bug babies and in the end of Vengeance...WEir in her doom and gloom glory informed us that Michael had locations in other planets. This is class act. I could so see him using the Athosian people as test bunnies to further evovle his creatures...whatever those things were.

The guy wasn't posing as a Genii, he was posing as anything possible. One minute he claimed to be Athosian, then from a neighboring planet, then Genii. As for being invovled with Michael, one doesn't know. But I wouldn't put it past him...I could so see the writers recapping a missing scene in Missing where that guy checks to see if Teyla really got pregnant and then notified Michael.

It was at the end of that ep we know Teyla is having a demonoid on the way.

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
            No...not Kanan. Go back to Vengeance. I think Kanan if he doesn't show up...could be an implanted memory by Michael. He was able to control her mind once and [insert deity] knows what he could cook up again; although she has claimed that if she doesn't allow it they can't take control. Michael is an all together different story for her though.

Kanan if he does show up is just a guy she could have been macking with, but I think she was developing a relationship with him. Her feelings are wishy washy otherwise; if one considers Sunday. At this point, I'm thinking Kanan might fall in the way of the "brother" character that the reading for Teyla had. Something they were going to work with which might not pan out.

I can't see how Michael would give it to Kanan to inseminate...this was done before.

As for the Athosians, it could have been Michael. You can't forget the fact the guy has a decent army of bug babies and in the end of Vengeance...WEir in her doom and gloom glory informed us that Michael had locations in other planets. This is class act. I could so see him using the Athosian people as test bunnies to further evovle his creatures...whatever those things were.

The guy wasn't posing as a Genii, he was posing as anything possible. One minute he claimed to be Athosian, then from a neighboring planet, then Genii. As for being invovled with Michael, one doesn't know. But I wouldn't put it past him...I could so see the writers recapping a missing scene in Missing where that guy checks to see if Teyla really got pregnant and then notified Michael.

It was at the end of that ep we know Teyla is having a demonoid on the way.
            Well we know that Kanan *IS* going to show up....what side he is on is a whole nother story.....I still feel, even though he is real, is a red herring/tool of Michael's. What Teyla believes to be true about her and Kanan is either a false memory or she and Kanan were in fact together but he is NOT the father of the baby and was just doing what Michael told him to do.
            Sigs made by EG & Teylafan
            &=AWESOME &Forever
            No SGA fics yet....but ya never know

Comment

There are two people Michael hates the most on the Atlantis Ex. Which makes these two people he wants to see punished for what they did to him. He would basically see all of the Ex dead, but he would gain pleasure out of causing an unmeasured amount of pain and psychological trauma to Teyla and Carson. They were the ones closest to him, and Teyla was the fake friend.
              I wouldn't disagree with that.

Teyla basically was involved in Michael's "rape" twice. At first she was against it and refrained from it, then he went back to the wraith and he was at that point her enemy. If we go to No Man's Land, it was Teyla who ordered him injected again even though she was under direct order to do so. The problem is Michael saw Teyla.
              I'm afraid I can't see Michael as a 100% squeaky clean character after the story 'Michael' although there's no denying that the expedition treated him abominably. From 'No Man's Land' when he's talking to the hive Queen.

MICHAEL: You should have told me. (The Queen looks at him enquiringly.) That we were going to betray the Atlanteans.

HIVE QUEEN: Are you feeling sympathy for them?

MICHAEL: No. But I don't understand why I wasn't told. I told you of their plan because I believed it was a viable way ...

This suggests that Michael thought turning other Wraith into humans was a good idea even though he was furious when it happened to him. If he'd a warped mentality back then it could explain why he went the way he did.

If this "thing" is a of wraith descent or even a creature superior to the wraith...especially considering a Michael involvement.

If you were doing tests, tests that really don't touch on neo-natal wraith genes and their functions, but just the blood test of the mother and a sonogram of a picture of a "human-like" fetus it's unclear whether they would be able to tell any difference or pick up any differences and end up terminating the kid. I see Michael betting on this.
              Unless it turns out that Teyla's mistaken, she was able to sense that her child is a boy. This indicates that she's in tune with it now and the connection would have got stronger the more the baby's brain developed. If the child is actually some kind of 'super Wraith' they'd have to explain why she never started to sense something a little odd about it and ask Keller to check it out.

Then there's the Queen in 'Spoils Of War' -

Spoiler:
              HIVE QUEEN: Of course. Now I feel it. You're not working alone. There is another life {life} inside you {inside you}, helping you.

HIVE QUEEN: You cannot resist me for long. Combined, your two minds are very powerful, but all I need to do is distract you for a single moment {moment} to get to the other.

Did Teyla keep that information to herself because she thought it was normal for a three month old fetus to have a brain developed enough to help her fight a Wraith Queen? If she included the information for a mission report didn't anybody wonder how the unborn child was such an asset? After all, how much of a mind does a three month old fetus have?

If 'super Wraith' baby really is the plot, these are the kind of things I'd want explained convincingly. What stops Teyla from sensing 'Wraith' so Michael could feel confident about sending her back to Atlantis because he knew his experiment would never be detected? On the other hand, if baby turns out to be normal I'd still like a convincing explanation for the 'Spoils Of War' bit.
              Last edited by ciannwn; 14 February 2008, 03:23 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

If 'super Wraith' baby really is the plot, these are the kind of things I'd want explained convincingly. What stops Teyla from sensing 'Wraith' so Michael could feel confident about sending her back to Atlantis because he knew his experiment would never be detected? On the other hand, if baby turns out to be normal I'd still like a convincing explanation for the 'Spoils Of War' bit.
                I agree with that.....for the baby to have that much ability at such an early stage of development seems mighty suspcious to me. Not only that bit but her ability to control the Wraith in general was much stronger....if the baby has her Wraith gene (which it will from genetics) wouldn't be safe to say that it would be weaker b/c it is more removed from the original bloddline?? So why were her abilities increased? Kanan, as far as we know doesn't have the gene, so her abilities should have been only slightly stronger....not wonder woman strong where she could take on a Wraith Queen and control the ship with ease.

Something smellls funny
                Sigs made by EG & Teylafan
                &=AWESOME &Forever
                No SGA fics yet....but ya never know

Comment

Originally posted by cabouse18 View Post
                  I agree with that.....for the baby to have that much ability at such an early stage of development seems mighty suspcious to me.
                  So if the baby has such a powerful mind from being some kind of 'super Wraith' or whatever, why can't Teyla sense it's more Wraithlike than it should be? After all, her initial ability from the Wraith gene was sensing when Wraith are around. All she's noticed so far is that it's a boy.

So why were her abilities increased? Kanan, as far as we know doesn't have the gene, so her abilities should have been only slightly stronger....not wonder woman strong where she could take on a Wraith Queen and control the ship with ease.
                  Spoiler:
                  There's still a possibility that the 'two minds together' was a plot device to 'explain' how Teyla managed to take control in the way she did. There was no indication that the Queen was suprised when she tracked down the 'other mind'. You'd think that she would have felt some kind of astonishment on discovering that a human was carrying a Wraith child unless impregnating human women with Wraith babies is a common occurrence.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceTrout View Post
                    And is Keelac (Athosion dude i think thats his name) really the father?
                    I hope not

Originally posted by SpaceTrout View Post
                    Wraithy baby or one that could kick Butt just like Teyla ?
                    Wraithy baby, real SciFi babies tend to be boring (except for Cally and Chief Tyrol's sprog in BSG, but that's b/c it's hardly ever seen!)

Comment

Originally posted by Demonique View Post
                      Wraithy baby, real SciFi babies tend to be boring (except for Cally and Chief Tyrol's sprog in BSG, but that's b/c it's hardly ever seen!)
                      That kid's hardly normal, now is he?

Comment

Well we know that Kanan *IS* going to show up....what side he is on is a whole nother story.....I still feel, even though he is real, is a red herring/tool of Michael's. What Teyla believes to be true about her and Kanan is either a false memory or she and Kanan were in fact together but he is NOT the father of the baby and was just doing what Michael told him to do.
                        I never denied that Kanan wouldn't show up. However, I did mention I had my doubts. Many a character, or story guest was said to be such and such and found to be changed or dropped along the way. I say this, with what I believe is good reason. We have not heard "hide or hair" of Kanan in S4, as of yet. Except of what was said in Missing, and the ever present fact the Atlantis Ex assumes he's the father of Teyla's spawn.

I wonder why? When Weir was getting a love "whatever he was", you couldn't run past which ep he would be in, because it was such big news and everyone was talking about it---yet not even 3 minutes of screen time. This has not been the case with Kanan who's "believed" to be the father of this parasitic entity or at least a romantic pair to Teyla.

Plus, he was said to be in S4, and the season being near over, and we're all fully aware that toward the end of the season Teyla is not a focal player...so where is he. Then people are saying S5. He was confirmed from my knowledge of JM's blog and RL's interviews to be in S4...season is almost out, Teyla is almost out because of RL's condition at the time of filming, and yet nothing. This is why I put an *IF*...you can follow your *IS* but minds have been known to change and story has been known to change and get readapted.

As for the rest of the comments on the Michael/Kanan relationship, I've said all that before...so...meh.

Kanan in my case has become an I'll see it to believe it (not disagreeing he'll be around)...this is reminding me of the start date to ISWAK II.

I wouldn't disagree with that.
                        Why? Just want your perspective, since the end of S2 and S3 would rather agree with my statement. I only mention this, not because you disagree with me, but because it's established in canon.

I'm afraid I can't see Michael as a 100% squeaky clean character after the story 'Michael' although there's no denying that the expedition treated him abominably. From 'No Man's Land' when he's talking to the hive Queen.

MICHAEL: You should have told me. (The Queen looks at him enquiringly.) That we were going to betray the Atlanteans.

HIVE QUEEN: Are you feeling sympathy for them?

MICHAEL: No. But I don't understand why I wasn't told. I told you of their plan because I believed it was a viable way ...

This suggests that Michael thought turning other Wraith into humans was a good idea even though he was furious when it happened to him. If he'd a warped mentality back then it could explain why he went the way he did.
                        I don't get your meaning. To quote Teyla and Ronon..."He's a/He is Wraith!!' What would make you think he was squeaky clean? I really hope my post didn't imply that I thought he was squeaky clean, because I find that far from the truth. The man ate people and wouldn't even think of wasting time normally with his food...what a waste of a good dinner---talking to it?! Would you renegotiate with a lobster? Hmmm, that question leads me to ponder being turned into a lobster to understand those lobster feelings. Sadly, I'm allergic to shellfish ~sigh~...so that's besides the point.

In any event, that wasn't my claim if it came across that way. I just find that Michael developed a deeper feelings of hate. I found that Michael seemed like he wanted some sort of connection with Teyla again, especially when we look at Allies and she shot him to hell. He was fully wraith at the time. And Misbegotten/NML really pushed him over the edge----Carson and Teyla specifically. Teyla using force to inject him of the retro-virus and Carson being the creator. I see Michael being pathetic after Michael. He's like one of those damned characters, if you will. He's hated by humans because he's wraith, but hated by the wraith because he was associated with his humanity and the scent remains. Now you have him alone and seeing both parties as a threat as well as humans. I think he has enough hatred especially towards those two to do anything.

Unless it turns out that Teyla's mistaken, she was able to sense that her child is a boy. This indicates that she's in tune with it now and the connection would have got stronger the more the baby's brain developed. If the child is actually some kind of 'super Wraith' they'd have to explain why she never started to sense something a little odd about it and ask Keller to check it out.

Spoiler:
                        HIVE QUEEN: Of course. Now I feel it. You're not working alone. There is another life {life} inside you {inside you}, helping you.

HIVE QUEEN: You cannot resist me for long. Combined, your two minds are very powerful, but all I need to do is distract you for a single moment {moment} to get to the other.

Did Teyla keep that information to herself because she thought it was normal for a three month old fetus to have a brain developed enough to help her fight a Wraith Queen? If she included the information for a mission report didn't anybody wonder how the unborn child was such an asset? After all, how much of a mind does a three month old fetus have?
                        You're forgetting something about Teyla's make up in your assessment, which is one I wouldn't disagree with except for what's been put in place since The Gift. If Teyla doesn't open her mind to it, she wouldn't know----this was established. She would have to have her mind open to the wraith in order to see into it's mind---in the case of something within her own body that's an even bigger question, but still plays a part. Depending on the extent of the brain activity, if Teyla has learned to close her mind off from Wraith talking and communicating---especially because of her past experiences, then I wouldn't see her being aware that the child was a wraith. But when it was called upon for her to use her ability she tapped into that connection and realized what this thing was... and might be and then using both it's strength and her own to take out the Queen.

Lastly, if we're speaking about the parasite after SoW (was it?) then you'd can put it down to people believing that the baby was in affect inhereting Teyla's own ability. Also, considering Teyla's abilities have been magnifying and getting stronger than her ancestors let's say...they would just play it to that and not as though this creature was anything other than human with extra abilities like it's mother. This is especially considering we know absolutely NOTHING about her father and if had such abilities and his background. That would be most important in understanding some aspects of Teyla's pregnancy and would be able to push more doubt in the idea of Michael and more allowance in Kanan(typical human until otherwise said).

Easy enough. It was said in "The Gift"...they cannot take control of her body unless she doesn't give them the ability of entering her mind. In the case of the parasite it was said in "Instinct" that the wraith parasite's start off as humanoid. As a humanoid and being of a human mother, I find it a bit harder to see Teyla finding something off about the parasite, to think it was a threat---especially if she was mentally manipulated. Plus, this is her first pregnancy (or so I would imagine), besides what happened in SoW to let her know something was different, I don't see how she'd be aware of what to expect and feel while pregnant.I believed I mentioned this in a previous post.

Michael would be fully aware of this, since he was once a child himself.

Further more, you seem to assume that Atlantis has all things advanced, Carson complained about this being a problem in "The Gift" again he complained to an extent about this in "Instinct" again there were problems in developing and advancing his retrovirus because of equipment and his lack of understanding FULLY of Wraith phsysiology, we have Michael, Misbegotten, and NML. Look at NML, the retro-virus didn't even work on the Wraith Queen...because Beckett didn't have the full knowledge and grasp of Wraith DNA--especially the Queen's. Plus, if he did, it wouldn't be something that had to be administered as seen in NML, it would be a one-off (human automatically and no injections needed). But NML proved otherwise.

You're giving the Atlantis Ex far too much credit, advanced equipment with detailed functionality and understanding of alien races, extensive knowledge of Wraith physiology and biology, and ability which they have already said they do not have, especially in the case of the Wraith. They wouldn't have been so keen on wraith physiology if they knew everything and could find everything easily. Hence the reason Michael, and this is if Michael did it, would be fully aware that if his test went through and let's say with added mind manipulation went through (given if we believe Kanan to be a work of Michael(or not even that)) then it would slip through the cracks.

I'm thinking you're seeing things far more absolute and not considering the many factors and definitely much of the information in the past which would give incite, correct or not on what may be taking place in Teyla's situation. Everything in Teyla's case her parasite are very relative.

The parasite being human is impossible---well human to the extent of normal humans like Halling (let's say). However, the parasite has basically been labeled by JM in his blog as far from human, in the traditionnel sense, so it's "normal".
                        Last edited by vaberella; 15 February 2008, 04:55 AM.

Comment

The funny thing is, everyone is secretly hoping reddevil18 is right and the baby just dies. Does anybody actually want to see the whole diaper changing, feeding, watching after, ect last more than 2 episodes? Rapid aging would work as well. Aging to 80+ years old and dieing soon after, that is.
                          Kevan Smith: "I shoot it, I go home, I get drunk."

Comment

Originally posted by Professor Chaos View Post
                            The funny thing is, everyone is secretly hoping reddevil18 is right and the baby just dies. Does anybody actually want to see the whole diaper changing, feeding, watching after, ect last more than 2 episodes? Rapid aging would work as well. Aging to 80+ years old and dieing soon after, that is.
                            From the moment I heard that RL would be pregnant on the show, and for good reason, I have wanted to parasite to die. I have not even made it secret. The S4 thread is littered with posts of how I want this thing dead. I can't sit through episodes of baby changing. Ordering diapers and food from the Daedy...[insert deity] Caldwell would feel awkward. Plus, I'm one of those people, that if I see Teyla active on missions and not around the kid especially during so early in it's developmental stage---I'd think she's an unfit mother and think far less of her. If she gives up the demonoid, I find that even worse of her and I'd be disgusted.

She's in a bad situation if this kid create. I think many of us are hoping it's not human because that way we feel disconnected and hope or maybe not hope but think if it's not human then Teyla as ourselves would feel separated from it when it dies. Another thing, I think a parasites take up a lot of attention. I just don't see the show viable if they don't mention this beast at least once or twice in every other ep. Then that would just be weak.

Comment

Why? Just want your perspective, since the end of S2 and S3 would rather agree with my statement. I only mention this, not because you disagree with me, but because it's established in canon.
                              I said I didn't disagree with you here because Beckett and Teyla would be the people he hates most amongst the Atlantis expedition personnel for the reasons you gave.

I don't get your meaning. To quote Teyla and Ronon..."He's a/He is Wraith!!'

The man ate people and wouldn't even think of wasting time normally with his food...what a waste of a good dinner---talking to it?!
                              After Michael says that he thought the expedition's plan was a viable way the Queen replies with -

HIVE QUEEN (interrupting): You're only alive because you still may prove to be useful. But I fear, Michael, that the lingering stench of what they have transformed you into will never fade.

I'm just trying to figure out what the scriptwriter intended this conversation to mean. Michael thought that turning other Wraith into humans was a good idea and was astonished when he learned that the Queen had kept the real plan from him. Why didn't the Queen think it a good idea too seeing as having a biological weapon to use in the Wraith civil war would have given her a very powerful advantage over enemy factions? Surely it would have been a less risky course of action than heading off into an unknown galaxy with two hive ships.

What, exactly, was she supposed to be rejecting him for? Was the 'lingering stench' just something to do with the fact that he'd been physically transformed into a human earlier on or was it something else? Is it possible that her reaction was intended to convey something on the lines of her finding Michael's idea offensive? Did his choice of the word 'betray' in relation to the Atlanteans make her regard him as having a warped mentality (by Wraith standards)? Would she have felt differently about him if he'd only reported what the Atlantis expedition was doing without suggesting that she and her hives go along with it? We'll never know now because she's dead and unable to go into details in future stories.

but hated by the wraith because he was associated with his humanity and the scent remains.
                              What does Michael mean when he said the other hive sensed the humanity in him? We'll probably never know because it's likely to be just a 'plot device explanation' to account for him having left the other hive ship in order to breed his super bugs.

You're forgetting something about Teyla's make up in your assessment, which is one I wouldn't disagree with except for what's been put in place since The Gift. If Teyla doesn't open her mind to it, she wouldn't know----this was established. She would have to have her mind open to the wraith in order to see into it's mind---in the case of something within her own body that's an even bigger question, but still plays a part.
                              'The Gift' also establishes what Teyla's abilities were before she learned how to open her mind to Wraith in order to set up a telepathic communication.

HEIGHTMEYER: Have you always been able to sense the Wraith?

TEYLA: Yes, since I can remember.

and

TEYLA: It feels like a deep cold that comes from within. I first felt it when I was a girl. I could not breathe, and I did not know why, and then we heard the Darts.

and

TEYLA: Charan, do you know why I can sense the Wraith coming?

CHARAN: You were born to it. There have been a few in every generation.

Then there's 'Submersion.

TEYLA: I am sensing a Wraith presence nearby.

SHEPPARD: Are you sure? We’re pretty deep underwater.

TEYLA: I cannot be certain, but I believe it is onboard the drilling platform.

When the others suggest other explanations for her experience she says -

TEYLA: There is a way for me to be sure. If I can reach out with my mind and establish a link ...

TEYLA: If there is no Wraith, then there will be no mind for me to link with, and therefore no risk. But if there is a Wraith nearby ...

This tells us that Teyla doesn't have to open her mind to Wraith in order to sense their presence nearby.

Depending on the extent of the brain activity, if Teyla has learned to close her mind off from Wraith talking and communicating---especially because of her past experiences, then I wouldn't see her being aware that the child was a wraith.
                              If her child really is a Wraith, why isn't her ordinary, everyday Wraith sensing ability operating here if she's enough in tune with it to know it's gender? She could tell that the 'Submersion' Queen was on the drilling station even though she had her mind closed off from Wraith talking and communicating. She couldn't get any closer to a Wraith than actually carrying one as a pregnancy.

In the case of the parasite it was said in "Instinct" that the parasite's start off as humanoid. As a humanoid and being of a human mother, I find it a bit harder to see Teyla finding something off about the parasite, to think it was a threat---especially if she was mentally manipulated. I believed I mentioned this in a previous post.
                              We only see a glimpse of infant Ellia in 'Instinct' but it's enough to suggest that she looked like a Wraith and not a human child. Zaddik was able to tell she was a young female Wraith as well when he found her so they definitely don't start off as human.

ZADDIK: But, when I found a young female lying unconscious some distance from the crash, I couldn't bring myself to hurt her.

Wraith children start off eating normal food until they reach a certain age, though. Does this mean that they wouldn't come across as Wraith to anyone who has the Wraith gene which gives them Wraith sensing abilities? This sort of explanation would be less baffling for me than Michael being able to manipulate Teyla into not sensing her own child without losing her ability to sense other Wraith. As she's been around a number of Wraith since she got pregnant she'd have noticed if her ordinary, everyday ability had gone.

Spoiler:
                              Back to 'Spoils Of War'. If Wraith have babies around you'd think that a Queen would be able to pick up 'Wraith signals' from them even if they were too subtle for someone like Teyla who is a human with a bit of Wraith DNA.

Further more, you seem to assume that Atlantis has all things advanced, Carson complained about this being a problem in "The Gift" again he complained to an extent about this in "Instinct" again there were problems in developing and advancing his retrovirus because of equipment and his lack of understanding FULLY of Wraith phsysiology,
                              The equipment in Atlantis was advanced enough for him to find that Teyla has Wraith DNA in her genetic makeup. Beckett must have left plenty of records concerning Wraith DNA too because there'd have been a number of bodies for him to do research on after 'The Seige'.

Look at NML, the retro-virus didn't even work on the Wraith Queens...because Beckett didn't have the full knowledge and grasp of Wraith DNA--especially the Queens. Plus, if he did, it wouldn't be something that had to be administered it would be a one-off. But NML proved otherwise.
                              The retrovirus worked on male Wraith, though, which suggests that he developed it by using male bodies in his research. It's likely that Ellia's body was brought back to Atlantis for him to study as well. If so, it would hardly have given him an accurate knowledge of Queens because Ellia had been in the process of turning into a bug monster due to the effects of Beckett's prototype retrovirus.

You're giving the Atlantis Ex far too much credit and ability which they have already said they do not have, especially in the case of the Wraith.
                              The Atlantis medical staff would know of real life tests for examining an unborn baby's DNA makeup. If Teyla suspected anything was odd with her baby and told Keller it would be possible to check the baby's DNA against Teyla's DNA (this information should still be in her medical records). If there were any suspicions that the offspring was very Wraithy there'd be all of Beckett's Wraith DNA records to check it against as well.

The parasite being human is impossible---well human to the extent of normal humans like Halling (let's say). However, the parasite has basically been labeled by JM in his blog as far from human, in the traditionnel sense, so it's "normal".
                              Do you have the actual quote for this? I'd like to see it and puzzle over what he means but can't face the thought of looking through his blog in order to find it. Trying to find SGA references amongst all the other stuff just makes me go cross eyed or start thinking of the Wraith from 'Condemned'.

I'm not saying that it's impossible for the baby to turn out to be a Wraith. I'm just pointing out the things I'd want a halfway convincing explanation for so I didn't end up watching such a story and thinking "What a load of old rhubarb".
                              Last edited by ciannwn; 15 February 2008, 07:25 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

An afterthought in a new post to avoid the character limit.

What a number of people in these forums find odd.

Spoiler:
                                1: When Teyla's first on the hive ship.

(Just then most of the lights on the Bridge go out and a spotlight illuminates the central console where Teyla has just put her hands onto the controls. The boys turn and stare at her as she looks up in surprise.)

McKAY: How did you do that?

TEYLA (nervously): I don't know. My abilities appear to be stronger than before.

McKAY: She's not kidding! (He looks at the wallscreen ahead of them as Wraith writing spools down it.) According to this, navigation, propulsion and communications are online.

SHEPPARD: Teyla?

TEYLA: I cannot explain it. The moment I connected with the ship, everything became available to me. I can feel the various systems at my disposal.

It turns out she can even fly it effortlessly as well.

2: Teyla is able to take over the mind of a Wraith Queen with the help of a three month old fetus.

What do Sheppard, Rodney, Dex, Lorne and Carter (who would have had the mission reports to read) suspect? Nothing. All that Sheppard wants to know is if Teyla and baby are OK after she's returned from a checkup in the Infirmary. If 1 and 2 are supposed to be big clues that baby is other than he seems how have the leading characters managed to miss them? Rodney and Carter are meant to be two of Earth's top brains, Sheppard's a member of Mensa, Ronon is nearly paranoid about all things Wraith and isn't Lorne something to do with security? Michael couldn't have got at them all and conditioned them not to notice anything odd.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X