Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sam's exit as commander of Atlantis (speculation on how it will occur)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Will Thorne View Post
    I'm thinking, and this is pure speculation, that it might have something to do with...
    Spoiler:
    ....the way she handles the rescue mission in 'Search and Rescue'.
    I don't think TPTB would do something like that, it could ruin an 11 year reputation.

I think the main reason Sam was posted to Atlantis was because of the Replicator threat. Now we're back to just having to deal with the Wraith, prehaps the IOA think that one of their own can handle the situation.
    WereWraith06

<<<I have watched you play with those who would play GOD<<<

A Random but Cool Quote:
    Spoiler:
    If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way.
    - Bertrand Russell

Comment

I posted this idea over in the thread about how Woolsey would be integrated...so forgive the crossover elements:

Here's my personal theory.

I think something will happen in Search & Rescue where Carter is ordered to do something or not do something...but she knows that if she follows that directive, it would put her people in danger (either members of her team or random people in the Pegasus Galaxy or both)...maybe even put lives at risk. She has a LONG history of bucking bureaucracy when lives are on the line and doesn't care a whit about the politics involved...only that it's her responsibility to take care of people under her care. So she of course gives the IOA the virtual finger and does what she knows is right...thus protecting innocents/saving lives.

However, it's something the IOA can't allow to pass and still save face. So while she's being thanked for saving people, she's given the boot...by Richard Woolsey, who's representing the interests of the IOA. He respects her decision but has no choice than to do what he's told. What's worse, he learns he'll be taking her place...which makes him persona non grata on Atlantis for taking the job of a popular leader...especially after the trouble he gave Liz.

So he comes in unwillingly and is put in the unenviable position of taking charge of people who resent him. A lot.

As for Sam...well, she knows the score. She knows that doing the right thing can cost you and since that's never bothered her before, it certainly wouldn't now.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

The trouble with pushing Carter out of the job for doing something wrong is that they have to be careful that it doesn't impact her character on SG1, plus if they plan to have her guest star, she still have to be, well, unsullied job-wise, in order to return back to Atlantis.

And I cant see the writers ruining her basic perfect streak...

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
          The trouble with pushing Carter out of the job for doing something wrong is that they have to be careful that it doesn't impact her character on SG1, plus if they plan to have her guest star, she still have to be, well, unsullied job-wise, in order to return back to Atlantis.

And I cant see the writers ruining her basic perfect streak...
          Actually this would keep it intact quite nicely...well not the "perfect" thing, which is an extreme generalization unsupported by facts. She's bucked the rules before for the right reasons. She out and out disobeyed them back in Serpents Lair/Serpents Grasp, danced around them in Ascension, openly defied her base commander in Fifth Man...etc. And has quite a history with not being impressed with bureaucrats or anything that puts the lives of her colleagues or innocents at risk.

So it would be supremely in character for her to do the right thing to protect those in her charge, even if that meant upsetting the delicate sensibilities of the IOA...and I doubt very strongly that her career or future in the Air Force would be sullied by an act of bravery that saved people's lives...even if it put off the bureaucrats. Heck, that'd probably be a bonus as far as Jack's concerned.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
            I don't see TBTB doing anything to disrespect her character, as they have always held her in high regard. So I think they will try to find a way to have her leave gracefully, with reputation, rank and integrity intact.
            I hope you are right - they did, IMO, disrespect the character horribly in seasons 9-10 of SG-1. For me they basically ruined the character and I see command of Atlantis as them trying desperatley to make-up for the bone-headed move with mitchell by basically demoting Carter so I cannot say I have the same opinion of the people that run this show (and I mean all of them even though cooper was the culprit as showrunner in S9 others could have taken a stand to stop the dopey move with mitchell).

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc View Post
              I hope you are right - they did, IMO, disrespect the character horribly in seasons 9-10 of SG-1. For me they basically ruined the character and I see command of Atlantis as them trying desperatley to make-up for the bone-headed move with mitchell by basically demoting Carter so I cannot say I have the same opinion of the people that run this show (and I mean all of them even though cooper was the culprit as showrunner in S9 others could have taken a stand to stop the dopey move with mitchell).
              I agree the whole two commander thing was ridiculous. They should have had Sam go TDY to Area 51 which is like a temporary reassignment then she should have regained her SG-1 spot don't get me started on Mitchell although he wasn't as annoying in season ten. It did provide conflict but they didn't keep much of the military thing in tact Sam never called Mitchell Sir or even Colonel just Cam usually it was very wierd.
              sigpic
              Thanks to lil ferrett for the picture

Comment

I think shes going to be given command of the pheonix, Earth's new BC...the captain will get killed and she will takeover and then just stay, saying she prefers to be on a ship where she can maintain a degree of fieldwork, the IOA then plants woolsey to head atlantis.
                sigpic
                You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                Stargate : Genesis |
                Original Starship DesignThread
                Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by Über View Post
                  Actually this would keep it intact quite nicely...well not the "perfect" thing, which is an extreme generalization unsupported by facts. She's bucked the rules before for the right reasons. She out and out disobeyed them back in Serpents Lair/Serpents Grasp, danced around them in Ascension, openly defied her base commander in Fifth Man...etc. And has quite a history with not being impressed with bureaucrats or anything that puts the lives of her colleagues or innocents at risk.

So it would be supremely in character for her to do the right thing to protect those in her charge, even if that meant upsetting the delicate sensibilities of the IOA...and I doubt very strongly that her career or future in the Air Force would be sullied by an act of bravery that saved people's lives...even if it put off the bureaucrats. Heck, that'd probably be a bonus as far as Jack's concerned.
                  Let's put it another way. She's not had black marks on her record, or demotions, etc. for any of her actions... However, potentially not obeying the IOA may not necessarily impact her USAF career.

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                  I think shes going to be given command of the pheonix, Earth's new BC...the captain will get killed and she will takeover and then just stay, saying she prefers to be on a ship where she can maintain a degree of fieldwork, the IOA then plants woolsey to head atlantis.
                  Yeah, that's doable. The writers LOVE to kill the captains of spaceships (alas, poor Pendergaast....)

Comment

Besides what has been said by FOB she does have the qualifications for a ship command. She is of the right rank, Col. As we have seen on numberous occasions carter has the ability to command a ship, she was in charge when emerson was killed by the LA, she was in charge (essentially) for unending and for AOT even though landry and mitchel took the chair. She is well versed in all our ships systems and built many of them, she has enough flight experience and command experience with all the latest gadgets to be able to handle that post, IMO she would make a better captain than leader of the AE...
                    sigpic
                    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                    11000! green me

Comment

Wouldn't that be a demotion head of Atlantis to a ship captain? Not sure of the Airforce eqivalent I am a Navy veteran.
                      sigpic

Comment

No captain of a ship, not captain the rank, the DC 304's are commanded by USAF Col's.
                        sigpic
                        11000! green me

Comment

No captain of a ship, not captain the rank, the DC 304's are commanded by USAF Col's.
                          Yeah I know that I just meant in the Navy a Captain (also called a ship's captain ) can be either a 0-5 LT Col -Airforce or 0-6 - Captain- Navy Colonel- Airforce. But a base commander or expedition commander is higher than commanding a ship-- hope that wasn't too confusing

I guess they could get around that by saying the TDY thing which would be okay and a good fix for the problem.--If she was never actually appointed as the Commander and was instead the interm commander of Atlantis. Just speculating here but it would work I think.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by atfan View Post
                            Wouldn't that be a demotion head of Atlantis to a ship captain? Not sure of the Airforce eqivalent I am a Navy veteran.
                            No a ship captain is usually the equivalent of a full bird Col.
                            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Besides what has been said by FOB she does have the qualifications for a ship command. She is of the right rank, Col. As we have seen on numberous occasions carter has the ability to command a ship, she was in charge when emerson was killed by the LA, she was in charge (essentially) for unending and for AOT even though landry and mitchel took the chair. She is well versed in all our ships systems and built many of them, she has enough flight experience and command experience with all the latest gadgets to be able to handle that post, IMO she would make a better captain than leader of the AE...
                              Personally I just don't think a ship command is right for her. I wouldn't think it was right for O'Neill either, it's just... not.

I mean, the Navy should be doing it anyway, but hey...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                                No a ship captain is usually the equivalent of a full bird Col.
                                I disagree. A ships captain doesn't have to be a Captain. At least in the RN, ships can be captained by a Commander, which I believe is equivilent to a US Lt Colonal.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X