Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sam's exit as commander of Atlantis (speculation on how it will occur)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
    So nobody thinks the IOA have intervened to remove her cos she's military?

Am I the only one thinking she's being forced from the job?
    No, you're not. I think there's a good chance something will happen in Search & Rescue that will result in her leaving.

Of course, she could always be called home for a family emergency of some sort, something to do with Cassie maybe? And then decide that she couldn't return.
    - Life after Stargate -
    Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
    Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
    sigpic

Comment

I think it's going to have to do with her "unfinished work" that she noted in her first Atlantis episode as commander. I'm hoping (in vain, perhaps) that they'll make her departure somehow tie into a third movie. That somehow, something she was working on before she left for Atlantis is now really needed in an SG1 arc so she has to go back to finish it which will subsequently result in a lovely movie. I would also settle for it somehow turning into another spinoff where she makes a cameo at the outset of the series, engaging whatever machine she built.

I think trying to force her from the job would be a little much. They were always doing that to Weir, so I think the idea is a little stale.

Also, as a reminder Ark of Truth and Continuum happen before season 4 of Atlantis, so if it has to do with any movies, it will have to be with one we know nothing about.
      sigpic

Comment

I certainly think there's a possibility of her being shoved out by the IOA but at the mo I tend to think it will be her decision. I assume something that happens in S&R will be the trigger, perhaps reminding her of the fact that she doesn't like the command role very much and would prefer to get back to where she most enjoys, is most suited and feels she can be most useful - research and science.
        sigpic
        by Kaaatie

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
          Agh! WHY WHY WHY a ship?

"Hey this person is an Air Force officer, this means they can do ANY job, regardless of whether it was what they were trained for or if they're experience lends to it!"

Carter commanding Atlantis was a stretch. A REAL stretch. As a military officer, she would usually only command groups based on her role, which is SCIENCE> But, Station Commanders have to come from somewhere, so it is sort of permissable that she became the Atlantis "station commander". But commanding a ship is different, and not only would that be a step down, but I think would be a horrific move based on expertise.
          She headed area51 for many months... Seems shes got the cred.

Comment

Wel,l however they remove Carter from command can't be something too drastic, like getting pregnant, which wouldn't happen as she and Jack haven't even gotten past "sir, with all due respect" and that would muck up movies.

I think that the IOA is just gonna say "we want one of OUR people in command." Since for some unfathomable reason they've got clout, Sam will simply be reassigned. That would make a lot more sense than Sam going "I'm going back to SG1 as they need my help," as it would then mean she didn't think much of her command. Her command was a promotion, something she couldn't really turn down if she wants to go up the career ladder.

But whatever takes her away, is obviously going to let her return in guest star capacity, so we can rule out abduction by aliens, if nothing else, that, or she signed up for "Survivor"

Comment

Originally posted by Malakriss View Post
              Sheppard changes the past in the last episode of Season 4. Upon his return he finds Woolsey is in command and Carter is around doing science things.

Also affected by the changed timeline: the painting from Outcast has been altered slightly, FRAN is somehow still around, Atlantis has 3 ZPMs, we salvaged the Ancient ship from The Return, Teyla's pregnant from Sheppard, McKay is married, and all plot holes have mysteriously disappeared from the universe.
              And Carter returns but is now called Claudia Brown.

Comment

I don't see TBTB doing anything to disrespect her character, as they have always held her in high regard. So I think they will try to find a way to have her leave gracefully, with reputation, rank and integrity intact.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
                  Here's what I think will happen, based on the spoiler of her conversation with Rodney in 'Search and Rescue'

I think that the IOA will not have been happy with a Military Commander, and will have found a way to forceably remove her from Atlantis. Hence why out of the blue, she's packed her bags and deflects Rodney's enquiry about the bags.

I think they'll push Carter out of the job, and that they'll put Woolsey in her place...Initially he'll be completely IOA, causing problems and butting heads, but I think like Caldwell did, he'll realise that Atlantis is Atlantis, and things have to be done differently...I think by the end of the season, he'll probably be more loyal to Atlantis than the IOA, but there'll still be bad blood for pushing Carter out of her job so swiftly.
                  Hmm I like that. It will cause alot of problems between all the members of the expedition.
                  Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                  "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                  Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by atfan View Post
                    I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how Sam would end up leaving Atlantis keep in mind that she is going to still guest from time to time. I know the IOA will be involved but I think it will have to do with her going against something they didn't like any ideas?
                    Sam is an Air Force officer. Could be as simple as her superiors deciding to give her another assignment. It happens, and it doesn't mean she didn't do a good job. Being in the military means moving a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                      Agh! WHY WHY WHY a ship?

"Hey this person is an Air Force officer, this means they can do ANY job, regardless of whether it was what they were trained for or if they're experience lends to it!"
                      The amusing thing is that this is not far from the truth as regards the mentality of the Air Force. Especially since Sam has training as a pilot. You tend not to advance in the ranks very much if you aren't a pilot.

Comment

Originally posted by Scyld View Post
                        Sam is an Air Force officer. Could be as simple as her superiors deciding to give her another assignment. It happens, and it doesn't mean she didn't do a good job. Being in the military means moving a lot.
                        Very good point.
                        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

The amusing thing is that this is not far from the truth as regards the mentality of the Air Force. Especially since Sam has training as a pilot. You tend not to advance in the ranks very much if you aren't a pilot.
                          From my experience it's two fold.

Either you stay highranking junior officer/low ranking senior officer (Flt Lt, Sqn Ldr) for the rest of your life, or you get booted up to the Air Ranks: Air Commodore, Air Vice Marshal, Air Marshal, Air Chief Marshal etc(that's Colonal onwards) VERY VERY quickly.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Poochie: "I have to go now, my planet needs me!" /flys up into air

Comment

Exactly. IMO, it was implausible for her to have a continued longterm stay in the Pegasus galaxy, especially since her knowledge and expertise have really been underused. After all, She is needed in the Milky Way, in case any longterm threats arise.
                              Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                              encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                              3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                              4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                              5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

exactly, moving on is a fact of military life
                                sigpic
                                The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X