This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnRico View Post
    A Stargate Musical would be more enjoyable to watch then the new Atlantis Commander
    While my instict is to agree with you, I think I'll give him a chance. If he's still making me want to tear out his heart with a rusty spoon by the mid-season finale, then I'll start bashing him.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
      Woolsey? Wow, what a joke.

Just goes to show you that TPTB weren't that interested in militarizing Atlantis or changing the leadership so it actually makes sense within the Stargate universe. They just wanted to get rid of Weir and now they're bouncing between replacements with zero consistency. From civilian to military back to civilian. It's laughably absurd.

I'm going to go get my waterskis.
      IIRC, the IOA didn't like Weir, either - so dropping her for a military commander while the Replicator war was on was probably a good thing in their minds - and now that the war is over with the Replicators, they can put in their own civilian person; one they think will work for their best interests. They may be surprised.

Yeah, Woolsey flaps in an emergency; that's why they have a military commander who can tell him to go back to his paperwork.....

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        well, at least when they pull the 'rogueish shep flaunting authority' it won't make the leader look bad....cause woolsey is so spineless he's actually very flauntable

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
          While my instict is to agree with you, I think I'll give him a chance. If he's still making me want to tear out his heart with a rusty spoon by the mid-season finale, then I'll start bashing him.
          Come this is JUMPING THE <snip> SHARK after having Weir & Carter as Commanders. This is a BIG STEP DOWN. This decision can kill Atlantis.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I would love for stronger female characters to be on the show - either as regulars or guests. The SG writers(particularly in Atlantis' case) have always had great difficulties in writing well developed female characters. My problem is their introduction - I don't want them there simply to even out the male-female ratio. BUT, if they serve a purpose in the story, I would certainly hope that they are well developed, strong characters.

And yes, the "Chinese chick" was introduced in season 9 of SG-1. You're really missing out if you haven't seen SG-1. IMO, Atlantis, as much as I love it, has never risen to the level of SG-1(apart from the very rare episodes, mostly in season 1), especially seasons 2-5 of SG-1...
            A female put in as leader would serve a purpose to the story.
            She'd be leader. Or are you saying her gender have to serve a purpose?

I figured leading would be enough and was self explanatory.

In regards to SG1 vs. SGA...I'm fine with SGA (it kept my interest longer than the eps of SG1---I as turned off by SG1 because of Carter/O'neill relationship from the very first episode) although I do admit to being a bit lost in some discussion of SG1 characters at times since I'm not familiar which can be a disadvantage in forming a powerful or at least valid argument on some claims. Thanks for the suggestion though.
            Click statement above to read article.

Comment

john rico

Watch your language please.
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Let me remind EVERYONE

Like or hate the decision, it's been made. Respect Joe & co. Respect RObert PIcarco and respect your fellow fen.

Keep your comments suitable and within the rules, or keep them to yourself please.
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Color me happy

I thought it would be Caldwell, I think Woolsey was the better choice.

He will be the administrative head of Atlantis and I expect it to be some kind of interim appointment that continues on. Sheppard would not have been willing to take the job. This way he will be back to being Military Commander. Since they are at war with the Wraith,that will leave him in charge of making most of the interesting decisions, without any of the political hassle he was unwilling to endure, but it will not prevent him from being a team leader the way he’s always been. Woolsey should be in the background or out of the picture most of the time until he is needed for some conflict/drama/humor. That might make the IOA and the military both happy.

I like Woolsey and RP, but wouldn’t want him in every episode or in my face very often.
                  I do think he will make an interesting addition to the cast.

I think all the different opinions are so cool.
                  Isn't it great that we have the right to think and express our opinions.
                  Celebrate that.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blue-skyz View Post
                    Color me happy

I thought it would be Caldwell, I think Woolsey was the better choice.

He will be the administrative head of Atlantis and I expect it to be some kind of interim appointment that continues on. Sheppard would not have been willing to take the job. This way he will be back to being Military Commander. Since they are at war with the Wraith,that will leave him in charge of making most of the interesting decisions, without any of the political hassle he was unwilling to endure, but it will not prevent him from being a team leader the way he’s always been. Woolsey should be in the background or out of the picture most of the time until he is needed for some conflict/drama/humor. That might make the IOA and the military both happy.

I like Woolsey and RP, but wouldn’t want him in every episode or in my face very often.
                    I do think he will make an interesting addition to the cast.

I think all the different opinions are so cool.
                    Isn't it great that we have the right to think and express our opinions.
                    Celebrate that.
                    BRAVO!

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
                      A female put in as leader would serve a purpose to the story.
                      She'd be leader. Or are you saying her gender have to serve a purpose?

I figured leading would be enough and was self explanatory.

In regards to SG1 vs. SGA...I'm fine with SGA (it kept my interest longer than the eps of SG1---I as turned off by SG1 because of Carter/O'neill relationship from the very first episode) although I do admit to being a bit lost in some discussion of SG1 characters at times since I'm not familiar which can be a disadvantage in forming a powerful or at least valid argument on some claims. Thanks for the suggestion though.
                      Yes, but like I said, having a valid reason for her to be in the position in the first place. Not simply being there and then developing her because she's in that position. I want it to make sense for her to be in the postion. And, right now, there is NO female character which could have taken the job as a result of natural flow within the show's story(again, except maybe for the Chinese chick). Woolsey makes sense because the IOA would want to cut out the middle man and get direct control themselves, through one of their people. Carter made sense because she was military, in a time of war with TWO factions and had a vast understanding of Ancient technology. Even Weir made sense in a way. And bringing in a whole new character would have been worse than any decision they could have made.

And are you serious about the Carter/O'Neill thing? God! I mean, sure, there's plenty of that in the show, but it works great and only adds to it, as opposed to the somewhat forced relationships in Atlantis. I mean...Keller and Ronon all of a sudden! And anyway, if that's your only reason, then you really are missing out. Like I said, SGA has never quite lived up to SG-1. SG-1's first season was pretty weak up until episode 17, but then it never lets up until season 6. Comedy, drama and action on a level that SGA has never reached before. Sure, SGA has had a bit more fancy CGI, but most of the time, it felt as a way to cover up the weakness of the story itself, rather than compliment it.

Comment

The moral of this story is: Never bet against Darren!

I'm actually pretty ok with this. I wanted a civilian leader again, and I think Woolsey will offer some pretty interesting dynamics to the cast, as long as they don't continually write him as the comic relief. They're going to have to let him grow, as Rodney did.

Also, this means Sheppard is now military commander of Atlantis again, and I am MORE than ok with that.
                        - Life after Stargate -
                        Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                        Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                        sigpic

Comment

I hope when Daniel shows up he holds a grudge against Woolsey for him being the one to suggest they kill Daniel when he was a Prior.

Comment

Yes, but like I said, having a valid reason for her to be in the position in the first place. Not simply being there and then developing her because she's in that position. I want it to make sense for her to be in the postion. And, right now, there is NO female character which could have taken the job as a result of natural flow within the show's story(again, except maybe for the Chinese chick). Woolsey makes sense because the IOA would want to cut out the middle man and get direct control themselves, through one of their people. Carter made sense because she was military, in a time of war with TWO factions and had a vast understanding of Ancient technology. Even Weir made sense in a way. And bringing in a whole new character would have been worse than any decision they could have made.

And are you serious about the Carter/O'Neill thing? God! I mean, sure, there's plenty of that in the show, but it works great and only adds to it, as opposed to the somewhat forced relationships in Atlantis. I mean...Keller and Ronon all of a sudden! And anyway, if that's your only reason, then you really are missing out. Like I said, SGA has never quite lived up to SG-1. SG-1's first season was pretty weak up until episode 17, but then it never lets up until season 6. Comedy, drama and action on a level that SGA has never reached before. Sure, SGA has had a bit more fancy CGI, but most of the time, it felt as a way to cover up the weakness of the story itself, rather than compliment it.
                            What you mean is you want the person to have an established history in SG1 in order to be placed as leader in SGA, rather than creating and developing a whole new character to place as leader of SGA. That's fair enough, I don't mind as long as we had a woman in this instance. Shoot, I actually don't know if I'd mind the representative of China as leader of SGA--considering the new announcement and from what I saw of her in NML and Misbegotten she plays hardball and she's rough.

Not to go into another direction. I just saw too much flirtation on initial meeting in the first SG1 episode which marginalized Carter's role to the spicy woman with a mouth counterpart of O'Neill, it was a weird vibe and I wasn't happy with it. I don't like commentary delivered with an air of sexual density especially on initially meeting. That's just me, I just couldn't bring myself to see more. I see your point with Keller and Ronon, but their presence is not leading characters to really make me care. I saw Cadman/Carson as sudden, I saw Katie/McKay as sudden as well, but there was always one of the characters of lesser importance so it never really mattered too much to me. Lead characters in a relationship need more care.

Even with the problem of Carter/O'Neill, I've just been into SGA more. A friend got me into it during the end of S2 and we would chat about it and at that point S9 was at it's culmination...by that point I wasn't interested in sitting through 9 seasons.
                            Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Come this is JUMPING THE <snip> SHARK after having Weir & Carter as Commanders. This is a BIG STEP DOWN. This decision can kill Atlantis.
                              I'll have to see S5 before I would proclaim any shark jumping. YMMV. I just don't see one press release as the death of Atlantis.

I hope when Daniel shows up he holds a grudge against Woolsey for him being the one to suggest they kill Daniel when he was a Prior.
                              Why would he? That's not really Daniel's character.

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                              O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

I guess they really don't want a season 6.

Best move EVAH! (not!)

Comment

Working...
                                X