Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think things will return to 'normal' by S5? (S3 and S4 Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys please don't bring anyone back. This is SGA not "Return of the living dead". Some characters die or simply leave and are replaced, for various reasons. Some of the actors playing them have other bussiness or the characters became incompatible with the development of the story (Weir). These changes are not necesarely a bad thing, the replacements could bring something new. New is good, and not necesarely not normal how the author of this thread suggest. The change is part of normality.

Unfortunately the fans with of some character or actors are very noisy with their opinions and petitions, and think that if they make their opinion louder they have the truth on their side and evryone else are mistaken, the principle of "raising the voice". Wrong, by doing this you interfere with TPTB plans for the show and you shorten the show's life.

There are a lot of fans who didn't find constructive keeping Weir in the season 2 and 3 in the middle of a all out war situation, but i didn't see any petion like "Dear Elizabeth, have mercy and clear off!" or any other "remove X character" stuff. If we didn't interferee for the sick of the show to remove some character from the mix and let the story flow, i also don't find right to bring other character from the dead and to cut the wings or new direction of the show.

Sci-fi or not, there are rules to be respected and a logical writing. The caracrters cannot pop in and pop out at the fans pleasing. They cannot change their plans for the show on monthly bases and still have a relevant and consistent sci-fi show, because of some fans so-called petitons.

Again, the fans who are pleased with the changes, or at least positive to them (vast majority) won't came to make petitions only to show acceptance to changes, because this is not the nature of a petition. And TPTB giving course to such petition, will only damage the show and alienate much more fans.

Look at it this way. TPTB put a lot of character bulding and screen time and though in a character like Weir. Reducing her role wasn't a easy thing to do, not because they risk upseting few fans, but because Weir is the results of carefull work and the lack of development for other characters (which seem a little unused and undeveloped). But they saw that reducing her role was their last chance to prolong the show life over the the 4th season and they took it. Yes this is the truth. I don't know how many fans will have resisted more than one season (4th) with Weir in leading role. And decide for yourself if the Weir's fans pool is enough to keep the show going.

Comment

Do I think things will return to 'normal' if a season 5 goes ahead? I have no idea what 'normal' is!

So, I'm assuming the thread title means will Weir and Carson be back as regulars? I think no. Carson, bless him, died. To bring him back full time wouldn't make sense to me, though I'm happy to have him back for guest appearances if how he is brought is inspired and relatively believable.

Weir? I agree with other posters who say her being in charge was unrealistic after they made contact with Earth again. I don't believe in the real world a civilian commander would have been deemed qualified to lead in that situation. I prefer Carter to Weir, so I think I'll like Carter being around more than Weir. I'd guess if season 4 is successful that AT will indeed stick around for season 5, and though I think it's possible Weir will make guest appearances, she was removed from the cast for whatever reasons TPTB have, and she won't be back as a regular character in SGA - that much has been made pretty clear to me in statements issued by TPTB.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SG13-NightOps View Post
        There were no Hammond-centric episodes. Ever. Chain Reaction was about him, but was more Jack, Maybourne and Kinsey.
        1969 was probably the most 'history' development that Hammond ever got.

Based on that, it is clear that Weir was meant as more than just she who says "God speed" as they leave... but despite all the development and weir-centricities we were treated/subjected to, it still didnt do anymore for her than just make her she at the gate who says "God speed", imo.

That just to me highlights that there is only so much a base commander can do - no matter how developed or under-developed. Carter (imo) will offer much more than that to the BC role.
        And their supposed to be having Weir focused eps next season, So its obvious they want to keep her around and her character open. TPTB like to write about her character. I don't think she will get the Ford or Carson treatment. We'll just have to wait and see.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
          And their supposed to be having Weir focused eps next season, So its obvious they want to keep her around and her character open. TPTB like to write about her character. I don't think she will get the Ford or Carson treatment. We'll just have to wait and see.
          Well, in the recent JM and PM interview with GW they actually said Weir was going to be like Ford:

GW: So it's maybe a situation that's comparable, to Lieutenant Ford in Season Two, where he's out there and could come back?

JM: Yep.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
            Well, in the recent JM and PM interview with GW they actually said Weir was going to be like Ford:

GW: So it's maybe a situation that's comparable, to Lieutenant Ford in Season Two, where he's out there and could come back?

JM: Yep.

Still better than Carson's fate. The could come back is always a hopeful statement.

Hmmmm. Maybe they should rename the show Stargate Survivor.
            sigpic

Comment

Actually to the comment in bold. There are zero Weir focused eps next seaon that I know of, she will be in four eps that we know of. She will play a major role in an arc, but she will not have any eps focused on her.

Anonymous #3 writes: “Is that major arc for Elizabeth in season 4 still on?”

Answer: I never said it was a major arc for Elizabeth. I said “the Weir character will be a significant player in a major arc”. There’s a difference.
              Here's the link: http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2...y-28-2007.html
              Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Originally posted by SG13-NightOps View Post
                There were no Hammond-centric episodes. Ever. Chain Reaction was about him, but was more Jack, Maybourne and Kinsey.
                1969 was probably the most 'history' development that Hammond ever got.

Based on that, it is clear that Weir was meant as more than just she who says "God speed" as they leave... but despite all the development and weir-centricities we were treated/subjected to, it still didnt do anymore for her than just make her she at the gate who says "God speed", imo.

That just to me highlights that there is only so much a base commander can do - no matter how developed or under-developed. Carter (imo) will offer much more than that to the BC role.
                I agree that Elizabeth's role in SGA was intended to be larger than Hammond's role was in SG-1, however, the writing rarely supported that intent. After Season 1, it became increasingly obvious that TPTB didn't think through how to substantially incorporate Elizabeth in the average episode, and as a result, the character was written more and more unevenly. The main problem with Elizabeth is that she was a civilian leading a military operation and the only way to make that believable (after Season 1) was to show why she was still allowed to hold that position.

In Season 1, it was easy to see why she retained that position. They were cut off from Earth and the highest ranking military officer, Sheppard, didn't want it. In addition, the members of the expedition were used to having Elizabeth as their leader. However, by Season 2, the connection with Earth had changed the situation to the point where it wasn't believable that SGA would be allowed to remain civilian led - at least not without strong writing to support why. With a seemingly unstoppable enemy, the Wraith, who viewed humans as cattle, Elizabeth's diplomatic skills were of limited use so it was up to the writers to show why she was still SGA's leader and, IMO, they failed miserably.

For one brief moment, at the end of Season 1, I thought the writers were planning to show us why she was still leader when they showed her gaining Colonel Everett's respect during The Siege. Unfortunately, that effort didn't last long because later they seemed rudderless about what to do with her.

When I first heard about the rumored darker Elizabeth storyline for the end of Season 2 through Season 3, I thought the writers had finally realized that they needed to fix this mess and salvage Elizabeth. Unfortunately, that storyline (yes, it's a stretch to call it a storyline) was put together so haphazardly that all I could think while watching was what were the writers trying to accomplish? What was I supposed to get out of those episodes? There were so many pieces missing that rather than helping Elizabeth, this storyline hurt the character even more.

Season 3 was a mixed bag for the character and I thought she had several very good moments, however, after I heard the news that she was would be reduced to recurring, the first episode that came to mind was The Game. IMO, that episode should have been an Elizabeth episode and if the writers were committed to the character it would have been. What did Sheppard and McKay know about brokering peace agreements? Nothing. Yet, the majority of The Game was about them attempting to broker peace between warring factions while Elizabeth, the experienced diplomat, was sidelined.

In retrospect, the writing was on the wall for that character and I wouldn't be surprised if she receives the Ford treatment. So, in response to the topic of this thread, that would be "normal" for SGA because when TPTB are no longer interested in writing for a character, then that character is either eliminated or reduced.
                sigpic
                Sig by Luciana

Comment

There was a time earlier this year when I thought that it'd be really cool for Weir to come back for season five, assuming AT didn't sign on. But now, after seeing how little Liz will be involved, I don't think it'll be very logical to hit any sort of "reset" button. The Carson issue is another one that I can't see them un-doing for the sake of a fifth season.

What's done is done. While I think they made a mistake killing off Carson, and I don't agree with them writing out Liz, I think they need to stick with their decisions and make the most of it with the actors they have.

Comment

Hmmmm. Maybe they should rename the show Stargate Survivor.
                    Mental GREEN, cause I ran out...again.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by scifi_lemon View Post
                      ITA. If Shep or McKay got recurring...well, let's just say TPTB would have to hire bodyguards
                      ITA.
                      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I think they will to have a very serious look at the reaction to the changes and try to work out exactly what they can possibly do to repair some of the damage that has been caused.

I for one would be delighted to see both Beckett and Weir back but realistically I don't hold out much hope.

There are a lot of people who are fine with the changes, but there are also a lot of people who are not fine with it. The problem here if we can take out the indivdual characters effected for the moment is that the producers/writers have managed to alienate such a large proprtion of their viewers, whatever your opinion on the changes, pro or anti I don't think anyone could argue that the atmosphere around this is helping the show.

Perhaps everyone is just going to have to dampen down their expectations for Staragte Atlantis, the anti change - of whom i readily admit I am one - may just have to admit that this may no longer be the show for us, while the pro's may just have to accept that these changes may negatively impact the shows future.

The worst result for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks
                          Alternatively, perhaps the bar has been raised for Atlantis, the anti's may just have to admit that the changes will have a positive affect on the show, something the pro's knew from the begining.

The best result for everyone.

I agree! Replacing Ford with Ronon was a good move. We miss characters maybe they return in a few eps here and there, but if their loss gets the show more seasons, and like you said "raises the bar", so be it.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy
                            dude i will never admit that cause it will never be true... that is your opinion only
                            Now it worked with Ford, imo. Will it work for Carson and Weir, Um i dunno maybe, maybe not. I liked Carson and was sad to see him be killed off. Now with Weir it's even harder. I love her character but also love Carter. I know we cannot have both full time. I just want to scream!
                            sigpic

Comment

i liked ford... i also like ronan i can't see why we couldn't have had both

getting rid of carson and weir imho is just stupid, i won't even get started on sam and weir... this is not the thread for it.

i want things to go back to normal, its the only way i will watch season 4 or 5 or any other seasons.

I've lost my fav show
                              Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
                              ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
                              Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

Originally posted by parisindy
                                dude i will never admit that cause it will never be true... that is your opinion only
                                sif. What you're arguing will never happen because it will never be true. that's your opinion only.

Comment

Working...
                                X