Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think things will return to 'normal' by S5? (S3 and S4 Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
    Ok here I go again Mr. Optomistic.

Carson is returning for like 2 or 3 eps and could very well appear in Season 5 if we get there. Weir is not officially out and is recurring, Joe M even said in the interview with gateworld he is leaving her character open. Season 5 will leave more opportunity.

It's not about making a mistake it's about writing good TV. You have a tragedy someone is dead, but in Sci-fi anything is possible. If the writing is truly done well a return of a character will make fans glue their eyeballs to the TV set.
    ITA. Carson's death was tragic, but at least he's coming back, right? I never was a fan of Weir to begin with, so I won't be missing her, but I'd be fine with it if she did return in S5. And Brian said, the return of the characters is open for S5. We'll just have to wait and see.
    click it...you know you want to --- you HAVE to click this!

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
      Continuing the comparison, then Atlantis will be canceled after s5 due to poor ratings. I'm not convinced it'll even get that far, but hey.

On topic, no things will not return to "normal". That would require TPTB to admit they made a mistake with Weir and Carson.
      In your opinion.

Cant please everyone all of the time. *shrugs*
      I will tell you if *I* think its a mistake after I see it.
      : I would very much like to have a weapon such as this.
      : Yeah, Get in line.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonEagle View Post
        I agree with you there Briangate, I want to see Carson back, but I want them to do it right, to put some thought into it. I could share my hopeful and yet doubtful theory, it has about a snowball's chance in hell of actually being true but here: Carson returns at the end of season 4, this we know, maybe someone else may know the episodes names and where they fall in the lineup, but I'm guessing like season finale or close to it? In which case my doubtful theory is that TPTB don't have Carson officially returning permanently yet because they do not yet know if there is going to be a s5 and if they said he was returning on a permanent basis that may imply to the fans that there is for a fact a season five.....I know this theory is kind of out there, and of course you have to deal with Keller basically just being a fill-in doc. But there you have it very doubtful....but don't crush my dreams! lol
        This is a true story, The Sci-fi forums hit more viewers and members when Carson died than the series finale of SG-1. Interesting huh?

Also a lot of people other than on-line fans, got on TV and even had a petition outside Bridge Studios. So, either the writers had a plan all along or they actually listened to the fans. Either way both characters may be open for Season 5.

I honestly feel if the fans' voice is loud enough it will be heard by TPTB.

I really think there will be a good chance for a season 5. Season 3 ended with a bang, so lets just hope.
        Originally posted by scifi_lemon View Post
        ITA. Carson's death was tragic, but at least he's coming back, right? I never was a fan of Weir to begin with, so I won't be missing her, but I'd be fine with it if she did return in S5. And Brian said, the return of the characters is open for S5. We'll just have to wait and see.
        We miss certain characters and some we don't.. Ford who? lol. Sorry if you are a Ford fan, just a little joke. If it makes the series better and we enjoy the overall series, then we have to say well at least the change was for the better.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SG13-NightOps View Post
          In your opinion.

Cant please everyone all of the time. *shrugs*
          I will tell you if *I* think its a mistake after I see it.
          Joe M said there was a hint in one of the last 3 eps of Season 3 about Carson. So obviously they have thought it out, and its killing me what the secret is. So if it's done in a clever matter, then it's far from a mistake.
          sigpic

Comment

Joe M said there was a hint in one of the last 3 eps of Season 3 about Carson. So obviously they have thought it out, and its killing me what the secret is. So if it's done in a clever matter, then it's far from a mistake.
            Have I mentioned that I have driven myself nuts watching and rewatching those episodes, as well as reading transcripts trying to find that clue.

I will have to send JM some laxative laced chocolate if its a gee up.

Comment

Originally posted by SG13-NightOps View Post
              Have I mentioned that I have driven myself nuts watching and rewatching those episodes, as well as reading transcripts trying to find that clue.

I will have to send JM some laxative laced chocolate if its a gee up.
              LOL, that would be too funny.
              sigpic

Comment

Ok here I go again Mr. Optomistic.
                It's Ms., TYMV.

Here, I'll expand upon what I mean by "mistake". TPTB have stated or inferred that they moved Weir to recurring and out of the leadership position because she wasn't working out or wasn't in their vision for s4. After they put her to recurring status they looked for a replacement character and ended up with Carter. Carter (presumably) fits their vision of s4 better than Weir.

So, why would TPTB do an about face and return to "normal" - replace Carter with Weir in s5? Why would they downgrade Weir for one season...and then bring her back to full time? Conversely, why would they make such a hubbub over bring Carter to Atlantis...and then ditch her after a season? Most importantly, why would TPTB decide to bring back a character that was so outside of their original vision that they saw fit to remove her? IMO, the only reason they would do so is if they decided that their original vision was a mistake.

Not to mention if TPTB did switch Weir back it would make Carter look like a placecard or make TPTB look like they had made a mistake with her addition, which would rightfully tick off many of her fans...

Comment

It's Ms., TYMV.

Here, I'll expand upon what I mean by "mistake". TPTB have stated or inferred that they moved Weir to recurring and out of the leadership position because she wasn't working out or wasn't in their vision for s4. After they put her to recurring status they looked for a replacement character and ended up with Carter. Carter (presumably) fits their vision of s4 better than Weir.

So, why would TPTB do an about face and return to "normal" - replace Carter with Weir in s5? Why would they downgrade Weir for one season...and then bring her back to full time? Conversely, why would they make such a hubbub over bring Carter to Atlantis...and then ditch her after a season? Most importantly, why would TPTB decide to bring back a character that was so outside of their original vision that they saw fit to remove her? IMO, the only reason they would do so is if they decided that their original vision was a mistake.

Not to mention if TPTB did switch Weir back it would make Carter look like a placecard or make TPTB look like they had made a mistake with her addition, which would rightfully tick off many of her fans...
                  That makes more sense yes - however that doesn't yet mean it is going to be a mistake.

Also, what I have read of the Weir reduction was not because of "not fitting in" with their S4 vision. What i specifically read was that they are sending Weir in a new direction - which is part of the story arc - including a very personalised part of that that is Weir-centric.

Say, if theories hold true - Weir is captured by Oberoth and taken over by Nanites, and becomes Evil-Weir. Say then, if at the end of the season they PWARW's the Ausran's out of existence an find a way to disable the nanites, then it would make perfect sense for Weir to be able to return without it being a "mistake" but in fact, a story arc.

Much like Daniels ascension and descension. In both Abyss and The Changling, it shows he is a borderline rulebreaker. So when he does it in Full Circle, and gets punished, it does not seem out of the realms of possibility.

Depending on the story will depend on exactly whether or not they are 'making a mistake' or just 'planning a story'. Thats why its so impossible to judge this whole deal without seeing it first. We have no idea what the grand plan is.

Comment

It's Ms., TYMV.

Actually was calling myself Mr. Optomistic.

I would not mind Carter to stay. I don't think it would be a mistake if they gave Weir back Atlantis command. It could be made to fit the story. I think Weir's character works. 3 Seasons have proven that. I think it all depends on a 5th season. Would Tapping sign onto another season of SGA? Will Weir continue her Recurring role? These questions are still unanswered.

I dunno I am not too upset about it, if S4 is amazing then it was for the best. I just would like the show to get to a 5th season, and to have Weir in a bunch of eps here and there. I don't think that is asking a lot.
                    sigpic

Comment

We miss certain characters and some we don't.. Ford who? lol. Sorry if you are a Ford fan, just a little joke. If it makes the series better and we enjoy the overall series, then we have to say well at least the change was for the better.
                      Ugh, I always thought Ford was annoying. He didn't become interesting until he got the crazy eye

If Carter doesn't work out, I'll gladly take back Weir. If she does...well...Weir who?

Comment

It's Ms., TYMV.

<snipity snip>
                        I dunno...I don't mind having Carter over and depending on how her character pans out in S4, I'll cast my lots then

Comment

Ugh, I always thought Ford was annoying. He didn't become interesting until he got the crazy eye

If Carter doesn't work out, I'll gladly take back Weir. If she does...well...Weir who?

I am not concerned about season 4 like I was with Season 9 of SG-1. SG-1 had lost one of their lead castmembers(um the biggest castmember). Weir is one of the SGA leads but she is not always the focus like Sheppard's team is. Plus she will still be around for like 4 to 5 eps. If Sheppard or Mckay were getting the recurring role status, then I would be worried. I am just glad they gave Weir some depth and a bunch of her own focused eps. I mean look at Hammond from SG-1. 7 years and we only got a few eps on him even if that.
                          sigpic

Comment

I am not concerned about season 4 like I was with Season 9 of SG-1. SG-1 had lost one of their lead castmembers(um the biggest castmember). Weir is one of the SGA leads but she is not always the focus like Sheppard's team is. Plus she will still be around for like 4 to 5 eps. If Sheppard or Mckay were getting the recurring role status, then I would be worried. I am just glad they gave Weir some depth and a bunch of her own focused eps. I mean look at Hammond from SG-1. 7 years and we only got a few eps on him even if that.
                            There were no Hammond-centric episodes. Ever. Chain Reaction was about him, but was more Jack, Maybourne and Kinsey.
                            1969 was probably the most 'history' development that Hammond ever got.

Based on that, it is clear that Weir was meant as more than just she who says "God speed" as they leave... but despite all the development and weir-centricities we were treated/subjected to, it still didnt do anymore for her than just make her she at the gate who says "God speed", imo.

That just to me highlights that there is only so much a base commander can do - no matter how developed or under-developed. Carter (imo) will offer much more than that to the BC role.

Comment

ITA. If Shep or McKay got recurring...well, let's just say TPTB would have to hire bodyguards

Comment

ITA. If Shep or McKay got recurring...well, let's just say TPTB would have to hire bodyguards
                                That is a very true statement. If they had done that, they might as well just end the show immediately. As far as the changes they've made for Season 4, I'm trying to stay positive. I think Carter could add a lot to this show. Time will tell though.
                                sigpic
                                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                                "...phu...ah..."
                                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                                X