No announcement yet.

The Phoneix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who wants to bet that Daniel will get to Atlantis via The Phoenix in his two parter episode

Comment

I'm guessin' the name was chosen by the writers specifically for this episode:

The Phoenix was the bird of fire that comes back to life from it's own ash.
      sigpic
      Don't forget to vote up if you like my ideas. (me <-- attention whore )

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
        Chosen or not, it's still a step backwards. And she was still commander of Atlantis. Lorne was in charge only while she was on the ship. It was only after she died that Woolsey came on board. And I said she should go back to Earth for something important, like taking command of the SGC or something big like that. Or maybe Jack's retiring...
        It depends. I think for Sam, it would be a step in the right direction, cause she would much rather be out there and actually doing something than sitting around handling administrative work.
        These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by xSFx View Post
          I'm guessin' the name was chosen by the writers specifically for this episode:

The Phoenix was the bird of fire that comes back to life from it's own ash.
          That and they have to keep with the names from Greek Mythology. Excluding the Odyssey who's name as you know is one from Homer's greatest writings. Which makes me wonder. Will ther be an Iliad?
          Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

Originally posted by Detox View Post
            It depends. I think for Sam, it would be a step in the right direction, cause she would much rather be out there and actually doing something than sitting around handling administrative work.
            From a career building perspective, there is no doubt that it's a step backwards. You get promoted high enough, administrative matters is what you're going to do, eventually. Of course, maybe she isn't that ambitious, but going from leader of Atlantis to ship commander is a step backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by FN-P90 View Post
              Will ther be an Iliad?
              Just doesn't have the same ring to it, you know?
              I'd like to someday see the Hades or something equally menacing. Of course, for the full effect, the commander of the ship would have to open communication with their enemy and give them a brief lesson on Greek mythology, explaining that Hades is, like...REALLY menacing and they should just leave, because you just don't mess with Hades.

Comment

the commander of the ship would have to open communication with their enemy and give them a brief lesson on Greek mythology, explaining that Hades is, like...REALLY menacing and they should just leave, because you just don't mess with Hades.
                Yea and i think in the time that it would take to explaine to them The importance of Hades in Greek mythology they would have already blown us up.
                Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

From a career building perspective, there is no doubt that it's a step backwards. You get promoted high enough, administrative matters is what you're going to do, eventually. Of course, maybe she isn't that ambitious, but going from leader of Atlantis to ship commander is a step backwards.
                  If it was Sam from season 1 in SG1 she would have taken the position that is higher up. But this isn't the same person, she's grown a lot in the past decade, this Sam will most likely go where she can do most good.

Spoiler:
                  Like leaving command in R&D to be Mitchell's 2IC.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
                    If it was Sam from season 1 in SG1 she would have taken the position that is higher up. But this isn't the same person, she's grown a lot in the past decade, this Sam will most likely go where she can do most good.

Spoiler:
                    Like leaving command in R&D to be Mitchell's 2IC.
                    Technically, she wasn't really his second in command. Which was actually pretty annoying. When you have two officers with the same rank, there is usually an understanding in regards to who calls the shots. While Sam did say on a few occasions that she didn't want command, you also don't see Mitchell actually giving her orders or anything. It's all "Cam" and "Sam". And she'd actually have a far greater chance of advancing her military career as a member of SG-1 than if she stayed with R&D, so, again, the move back was also a career building move. No matter how you look at it, taking command of a ship is a step back. Not saying she wouldn't do it. Not saying it wouldn't fit her - heck, I loved her as ship commander. Just saying that it would be a step backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by McSwift View Post
                      Back to the Phoenix people!!!

There are a few things that I felt was odd about the Phoenix:

1) New Asgard Upgrades?
                      - What upgrades? Seriously, what upgrades?
                      - I would have liked to see newer shield technologies or cloaking tech
                      Phoneix took a lot of hit really. They lost because asgard weapon went offline. Phoneix had shield even when it hit the hive ship.

2) Missiles?
                      - Why were the missles not nukes???? 1 nuke should have crippled a Hive
                      - Why launch only 4-5 missles?

You mean why wasn't the payload not nuclear? I guess it was. In space nukes are not an effective weapon.

3) Beam weapons?
                      - 1 shot of the beam weapon on a Hive ship did minimal damage? Wtf!!
                      - 1 shot against an aurora pretty much could blow them out.[/QUOTE]

Incorrect. It always took 3 or 4 shots on aurora to do some damage. Hive ships are much much bigger. In this episode only they showed that 3 shots for necessary to take down a hive.

4) Railguns?
                      - Shouldn't they be firiing too?
                      As if they will do anything!

Like seriously, whats with all the new upgrades?
                      Better shields that was holding even when 3 hives were firing simultaneously, plasma weapon, time dilation device etc. Thats what the new upgrades were.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatz View Post
                        The thing that pisses me off most is that it has never been explained is how having the shields hit causes the hyperdrive or the weapons to go offline (or explosions that only blast people away).

I mean, from a designing point of view critical systems should be completely isolated from each other, having its own power source, and the only link should be the possibility to transfer power from eatch other if needed.
                        Perhaps it's damage from the blasts? The only shield in SG to not become less effective as it was attacked has been Atlantis'. All other shields allow attacks to bleed through as they are damaged. In the ep with 3 hataks vs the Oddy it was able to cause some damage to the hataks even though it didn't collapse the shields. So it only makes sense that once a shield is damaged, it no longer stops all attacks. Only expection is Atlantis and that Asuran weapon we'll never see again.

Comment

Was it just me or did the hives seem to be firing a lot faster than usual? Perhaps they have been upgraded as well
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by McSwift View Post
                            Back to the Phoenix people!!!

2) Missiles?
                            - Why were the missles not nukes???? 1 nuke should have crippled a Hive
                            - Why launch only 4-5 missles?
                            Missiles ARE nukes. Nukes are simply nuclear warheads installed onto a delivery system. Whether it's an ICBM or in this case, a missile.
                            These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

I suspect the Phoenix will be real. I suspect it is Carters out. She will stop being the commander of Atlantis and become the commander of the Phoenix full time. Some think it is a step back but it can be justified reasoning that she can take a more active role in the battlefield.

Genral Hammond was assigned from command of Stargate Command to command the Prometheus in the battle over Antartica.

The Phoenix was undermanned Carter could even sit on The Chair. If they were fully crewed Hives will be destroyed no problem.
                              Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

Originally posted by YutheGreat View Post
                                Genral Hammond was assigned from command of Stargate Command to command the Prometheus in the battle over Antartica.
                                Actually, no, he wasn't. He was replaced from the head of the SGC to make way for Weir and, presumably, was heading for retirement. It was only after Anubis attacked and he offered his services that the President assigned him to the Prometheus...which was nothing more than a symbolic gesture on the writers' part. Most likely, any new ship would still be used like the Daedalus or the Apollo - going back and forth between the galaxies, OCCASIONALLY taking part in a fight. Not really "a more active role on the battlefield" for Carter, is it? It would only be more active if a ship were permanently assigned to Atlantis - stay in orbit 24/7. And if that happened, well, Carter would still be a regular. No, giving her a ship would be a bad way out. Make Landry a 3 star general and send him to Washington, to replace Jack. Carter takes command of the SGC. Jack retires and moves back to Colorado Springs, with Sam. The end. I'm not a shipper, but that's the only explanation I'll accept.

Comment

Working...
                                X