• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McSwift View Post
    Back to the Phoenix people!!!

There are a few things that I felt was odd about the Phoenix:

1) New Asgard Upgrades?
    - What upgrades? Seriously, what upgrades?
    - I would have liked to see newer shield technologies or cloaking tech

2) Missiles?
    - Why were the missles not nukes???? 1 nuke should have crippled a Hive
    - Why launch only 4-5 missles?

3) Beam weapons?
    - 1 shot of the beam weapon on a Hive ship did minimal damage? Wtf!!
    - 1 shot against an aurora pretty much could blow them out.

4) Railguns?
    - Shouldn't they be firiing too?

Like seriously, whats with all the new upgrades?
    1. I guess like the difference between the Daedalus and the Prometheus, the [advanced] Asgard technology was added from the beginning.

2. Why launch them all at once? Plus, I'm pretty sure once a missile is fired, the tube needs to be reloaded and it would be bad to be out of ready missiles

3. A hive is several miles long, it should be no surprise that it takes minimal damage from a single shot.

4. Railguns never were that effective, maybe they finally learned that

Vala,

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
      1. I guess like the difference between the Daedalus and the Prometheus, the [advanced] Asgard technology was added from the beginning.

2. Why launch them all at once? Plus, I'm pretty sure once a missile is fired, the tube needs to be reloaded and it would be bad to be out of ready missiles

3. A hive is several miles long, it should be no surprise that it takes minimal damage from a single shot.

4. Railguns never were that effective, maybe they finally learned that

Vala,
      Well. There are two things that I wanted to mention to both the members above this post.

1) Remember in the Season Preimeir 3x01 when one single nuke hit a hive, the explosion rippled blue and spread all over the ship. Now this is just an explosion, similar to a missle from an F302 (3x01 when Shep hits a missle into the hyperdrive generator).

2) Launching missles all at once was probably the only last few things they can do. I'm sure that Sam would have known at that point that they're not going to survive much longer. Why not just throw everything they had at them. If they were lucky, they could have reloaded and got outta there.

3) How about those damn Hyperdrives? Couldn't it be jettisened like in Prometheus? It would occur to me that if a Hyperdrive would go critical, you would want to jetty that drive and get the hell out of there.
      Subspace Energy Technology Thread
      http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...68#post8685268

Comment

The thing that pisses me off most is that it has never been explained is how having the shields hit causes the hyperdrive or the weapons to go offline (or explosions that only blast people away).

I mean, from a designing point of view critical systems should be completely isolated from each other, having its own power source, and the only link should be the possibility to transfer power from eatch other if needed.

Comment

Yeah, i think the ship is getting constructed at the moment. BUT, i doubt they are planning to give it to Samantha.

Comment

And here I thought the Pheonix would be a new class of battleship with the whole Asgard knowledge base we've acquired...
            "Yo, you wanna join SG-1?"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gkyun View Post
              And here I thought the Pheonix would be a new class of battleship with the whole Asgard knowledge base we've acquired...
              Yeah... probably some day we'll find out that someone (probably Lee) spilled coffee over the only compute holding that knowledge

Comment

They were abandoning the ship so I doubt they took time to reload the missile tubes.

As for railguns: Do you really think they would have helped or are you just trying to find something to complain about?

Comment

Originally posted by Durgia View Post
                  They were abandoning the ship so I doubt they took time to reload the missile tubes.

As for railguns: Do you really think they would have helped or are you just trying to find something to complain about?
                  Let me give you an example:

You are in a fight in which you cannot get out of. The three butched guys beat the crap out of you. You have a knife, but one of the guys kick the knife away from you. (Knife = Beam Weapons)

You only have a stick and your hands to defend yourself. You decide to swing the stick at the other guys, but it wasn't effective. (Stick = Missiles)

You don't have your stick anymore, because those guys grabbed it out of your hands and threw it away too (Stick throwing = no more missiles being fired).

What the hell do you do?

In your case, you would give up.

In my case, if I was in that situation, I would use my fists if it came down to it. (Fists = Railguns)

*snip*
                  Last edited by kiwigater; 08 March 2008, 12:51 PM.
                  Subspace Energy Technology Thread
                  http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...68#post8685268

Comment

We know a 304 can take out 1 Hive easy, 2 Hives with some trouble.

3 Hives with an ambush scenario (ambush by the 304)...

The beams take a lot of power, with a better power source the 304s will be almost unstoppable.

Odyssey should be able to handle 8-12 Hives at once.

At most there are probably about 20 Hives left in Pegasus after Wraith infighting. The entire fleet of 304s can take care of them.

Comment

Originally posted by McSwift View Post
                      - 1 shot against an aurora pretty much could blow them out.
                      Not exactly. In the Battle of Asuras, we see an unshielded Aurora take at least one shot without being destroyed. In that particular case, a second shot was enough to destroy it, but its shields were already down at that point. The first Aurora that was ambushed by the Daedalus and Apollo in BAMSR took several before it broke up. It had just exited hyperspace, so it's possible the shields weren't up yet (ships in Stargate can't have shields while in hyperspace).

Comment

Shouldn't the Sensors have detected those hive ships before they emerged from hyperspace?

Comment

Originally posted by Hypochondriac View Post
                          Shouldn't the Sensors have detected those hive ships before they emerged from hyperspace?
                          Sensors don't work in hyperspace, just like the shields
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Esquin View Post
                            You jsut sparked me to ask something. Did the end of Andromeda even make sense? I remember there was a final episode and something happened but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Just that...

Spoiler:
                            Some massive Neitchian(sp?) fleet appeared out of absolutly no where and tried to blow stuff up. I mean seriously it was just weird! And Random!

You know what, there is no season 5 of Andromeda. It ends at season 4, or whatever one was right before the last one.

But back on topic. ummm...... oh right the Phoneix, it's probably in a shipyard being built so i'd say it'll show itself at the mid season 2 parter next season.

Dylan escapes Seffra and returns to the known worlds, and finds the World Ship crippled and on its way. Dylan is returned to dutie and the Corroupt Common wealth is put down. The entire Nitchian fleet came around earth and destroyed it. Andromeda lead the fleet back to Seffra and used trances sun to destroy the fleet and the obyss. The route of ages turned into a slipstream route and the Common Wealth fleet was able to return to Tarn Vedra. Ive never actullay seen the end, but ive read about it. It makes sense right now..
                            What ever i am now, what ever this makes me, what evers happened to me, it doesnt change the man i am, have been, or want to be.- Colonel Saul Tigh.

Some times you have to roll a hard six-Admiral Adama

sigpic -Rest in Peace Battlestar Pegasus. BS62!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Aurora minus ZPM: 1 shot to take out shields, 2nd shot destroys.

Aurora with ZPM: probably will take 4-6 shots to destroy. 4 shots take out shields, 1-2 to destroy.

Ori ship takes 7 to destroy (5 takes out shields, 2 shots to destroy), the ship is over 3000 meters.

Hive: 3 shots to destroy.

Crusier: 1 shot to destroy.

Ha'tak: 1 shot to destroy.

Comment

Hive ships are VERY big and if the beam weapons don't hit anything critical like power generators or weapon ports the chances are it won't do much damage. Plus you have to realize the Hive is not going to stand still for you.

The ship thats going to be the Phoenix is probably under construction right now in SG universe. What surprised me the most was how fast those missiles flew. Maybe the Hives were just closer than normal but those missiles sure moved fast. Plus no darts got in the way this time. Those Hives probably figured they had the element of surprise on their side so they don't need it. Also it looks like those missiles actually made it inside the ship before detonating so most of the explosion was probably contained inside the ship. Also the warhead could have been some sort of shaped charge which would direct most of the explosive energy inward.

No engine core jettison is a bad idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X