This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr.Jónsson View Post
    Yea!, Sheppard went into the same pod as Carson was in. Did they throw his body away?
    Another funeral perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Jónsson View Post
      Yea!, Sheppard went into the same pod as Carson was in. Did they throw his body away?
      What makes you think it's the same statis? There must be thousands of statis in a self contain world like Atlantis.

Comment

someone answer this. how does sheppard going missing make all this horribleness happen? why 'him' not being there?

*is going to have a VERY hard time watching this ep because of sam*

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
          This is the one part of the episode that I really disliked to be honest, really out of character in my opinion. Ronon would have shot him on site, and enjoyed it. I hate the way they seem to be treating Todd almost as a friend, as if they've all just turned simple and forgotten that he kills innocent humans on a regular basis...
          True, but again, he has to eat, all living things have to eat, besides, they both wanted to blow up the base, oh this episode was good, but just too deppressing, it´s on again right now, and it could of had a lot more humor.
          sigpicDr.Bj�rn ��r J�nsson

ATA gene natural carrier.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
            someone answer this. how does sheppard going missing make all this horribleness happen? why 'him' not being there?

*is going to have a VERY hard time watching this ep because of sam*

sally
            I don't know that him going missing is the cause. Even if he was there I don't think it would have changed things since they probably still wouldn't have found Teyla in time. But now that he knows where to look, he should be able to change that.

Comment

I really enjoyed this episode but for one major point.

The catalyst for Rodney's brain to kick into gear and start thinking about ways to change the course of history is Keller dying.

Not poor Sheppard stranded all alone 48,000 years in the future. Not Teyla's death at the hands of Micheal. Not Ronon or Carter's heroic deaths either. Just Keller, after a whirlwind Daedalus romance. As opposed to people he's worked with and cherished for years. Somehow that just doesn't set right with me.

sigs by the talented CazzBlade, elephantgirl,CKO, kali1, csom, Luciana, Torri012 and rachel d..thanks so much!

Comment

Originally posted by chensuu View Post

The catalyst for Rodney's brain to kick into gear and start thinking about ways to change the course of history is Keller dying.

Not poor Sheppard stranded all alone 48,000 years in the future. Not Teyla's death at the hands of Micheal. Not Ronon or Carter's heroic deaths either. Just Keller, after a whirlwind Daedalus romance. As opposed to people he's worked with and cherished for years. Somehow that just doesn't set right with me.
                Love will do that to a person. But like he said, he had a lot of regrets. He was able to start over once, because he had her, but once she was gone, everything piled on top of him.
                Theoretically spoilerish:
                Spoiler:
                Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Originally posted by chensuu View Post

While I'm sure Rodney cared a great deal for everyone else, love will make you do crazy things.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMcKayCan View Post
                    So, you didn't like "Before I Sleep," the greatest Weir episode of all time?
                    Guess that sort of storyline were easier to forgive back when I cared about the show and its characters.

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                    That was the whole point to the episode. Sheppard needed to race back so he could prevent the events from happening. If they did not happen there would of been no suspense or build up. Sheppard could of taken a nap if there was no rush to get back.
                    I didn't get any feeling of suspense or rushing with the future!Shep clips because most of the time was spent with Rodney playing storyteller. If TPTB were going for more stress and urgency during those scenes then they should have written less exposition and more...actual urgency.

Originally posted by Briangate78
                    If Weir was in this episode people would probably like it who don't like it now.
                    Unlikely, see point one.

Comment

Jelgate's Two Cents

It is always the hope of the fans that a season finale goes above and beyond the call. We all know a season has its share of bad episodes and good episodes. But I am willing to guess that we (the fans) want a season finale that is of epic proportion and wanting us drooling for the coming season. I don't know about the rest of you, but they succeeded in my book.

I loved the initial reaction when Sheppard entered the city and found out. Credit goes Joe Flanigan on his acting ability when Sheppard saw the city covered in sand. I had the very same reaction, but I have benefit of seeing what being projected on the green screen. Even in old age, McKay can be a pain in the mikta. But you have to admit that putting Sheppard in a stasis pod is a risky venture.

Who doesn't love a Doomsday scenario? That’s basically what this episode was. It showed the worst possible outcome. And it was a gradual. At first we are lightly shown the killing of Teyla. I know it’s sad but it is shown so briefly that it doesn't effect us that much.

I liked how after that we are able to see it get really bad. Michael was able to succeed where the Ancients had failed. He was able to successfully exterminate the Wraith from the Pegasus Galaxy. And to think it’s our fault that Michael is around in the first place and our fault that all those Pegasus Galaxy natives are dead. Despite this, their is one thing that confuses me. With the Hoffman virus being spread throughout the galaxy, you would think that the Wraith would untie rather than continue their civil war. Isn't what they did when they were fighting the Asurans? The part that had me scared the most is when Michael killed the Wraith queen. It showed just how crazy he had become

After months and months and months of speculation, we are finally able to see the Phoenix. I have to say I wasn't that impressed. It just looked like another basic BC-304 to me. But the McKay/Carter interaction as the ship was being assembled showed to me how their friendship has changed as Carter been the leader for the past year. Did anyone else laugh when the hologram McKay said, "I think Zelenka was their."

Can't say I am surprised that the Phoenix would eventually demise for two reasons. It’s predictable for the ship blowing up if your presenting a Doomsday scenario and Michael isn't an idiot. He would have been smart enough to present an ambush. I can't help but appreciate the sacrifice that Carter made. What the old saying, " the captain goes down with his (or her in this case) ship. She inflicted as much damage as humanly possible.

Why am I suddenly reminded of the Jaffa Resistance when I look at the army that Ronon built? I know someone will call it a SG-1 rehash, but to me it shows that anyone is severely oppressed will fight back. For good reason too. I would be a little mad if someone was committing genocide. Their was a little nod to our Todd lovers. It’s nice to know he is still the same person. He could have easily killed Ronon, but unlike most Wraith Todd knows that the meaning of the enemy of my enemy is my friend. That force of habit joke with Todd mimicking Tealc made ROFLMAO. Once again the good guys (if you can call Todd good) made a self sacrifice to deal a crippling blow to the enemy.

I am shocked that Rodney would give up, but then again I could why. The IOA can be a bunch of *non PG word* sometimes. Of course Woolsey can never disobey those orders. I sure
                      Spoiler:
                      hope Woolsey doesn't stay that much of a jerk in Season 5.
                      So I could understand that Keller and McKay would give up after having to watch everyone in the Pegasus die from Michael.

I can just sense how the shippers are going to respond to the McKay/Keller pairing. And I have to say I was a little concerned too. But it makes sense that they would end up together, after being alone on the ship grieving about the loss of their loved ones. Of course no relationship works on Stargate. Nice continuity to use the Hoffan drug to explain the death of Keller. I wonder if McKay regrets going against her wishes.

Now its time for me to talk about the present. I was glad that the whole story wasn't told in bulk and we got breaks in the action to see Sheppard's reaction. That said I was a little disappointed that we didn't get to see more happen in the future Atlantis. After the past story happen their only a few things that were of significant in the future to the story. I have heard horror stories of how the TPTB like to torture McKay. This must have been their chance to torture Sheppard. I have to imagine that it was tough for the actor to walk in that fake windstorm. The only other significant part of the episode in the future was that the sun was about to die and Sheppard had a limited amount of time. I would have liked to see Sheppard make it to the gate after he woke from the stasis pod, but it’s not that big of a deal.

Carter more than anyone should have realized the possibility that Sheppard traveled back in time. She didn't okay him until McKay confirmed the solar flare activity. I guess I understand the protocols, but I thought she would have known better. I also would have thought McKay would have known better than to check for traps when dealing with Michael. I guess some things never change. McKay is still a very arrogant person. The ending didn't have the same kind of suspense that the previous season had. I know the team is in danger, but it’s not on the same scale as previous season. In conclusion, The Last Man is a good season finale even if the ending is a little
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Unlikely, see point one.
                        Ummm... seeing point one confirms his point, doesn't it? You cared about the show and its characters when Weir was on there.
                        Theoretically spoilerish:
                        Spoiler:
                        Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Originally posted by Myles View Post
                          While I'm sure Rodney cared a great deal for everyone else, love will make you do crazy things.
                          I guess you have to buy the storyline that he was in love with Keller and I just don't get it. It seems to me that Rodney's entire team dying should have been catalyst enough for him to try something. In fact, Sheppard disappearing should have done the trick since Rodney was aware Sheppard was alive.

But then of course we'd have no episode.

Sorry!

sigs by the talented CazzBlade, elephantgirl,CKO, kali1, csom, Luciana, Torri012 and rachel d..thanks so much!

Comment

I didn't feel any suspense. We all knew none of this is going to happen once super Shep returns to Atlantis. He always saves the day. Ho hum.

General Lorne was a nice touch, but I wish Keller had met her end with Todd.

Woolsey looked just plain dumb in that crummy uniform.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

My review is going to come piecemeal as i remember my thoughts:

Rodney and Sam working on the Phoenix:
                              Re: Him not remembering (or dismissing) Zelenka being there.
                              Did anyone else get the feel (the music helped) that Sam and Rodney working together to get the ship in order felt like an homage to Galaxy Quest? Iot jsut seemed weak. And wishful thinking.

<sigh> So the Lead Male Action Hero does missing in action and the galaxy goes to hades in a handbasket. Projection, anyone? Whateva.

I can't believe there weas no comment about Rodney the Hologram and something putting a twist on "State the nature of the medical emergency."

Loved the irony of Ronon going out with Todd.

Was a bit annoyed that the stasis plot gevice was used 2 weeks in a row.

Shep walks through and sandstorm - sans covering his skin - and still has said skin after taking quite a while to get to the other side. Er, he was the equivalent of *sandpapered*.

Nice way for Sam to go. Much better than most of the AU other ways. I'm still not over SG-1 S9/S10 (aka Stargate Command S1/S2) being an AU though, so...<sigh>.

Woolsey as commander. Oy. I agree about the uniform. Not attractive at all. It needs help. I forsee fireworks. Good, as long as it's onscreen, not in fandom.

Teyla. Yikes, I only give this a pass because Rachel was out on maternity leave. Hope she gets some development besides being the mom of the kid Michael wants next season.

Got a good snicker at the really bad SFX "cimenagraphic" outdoor shots of Ark of Truth. Boo.

7/10

suse
                              Last edited by suse; 07 March 2008, 08:32 PM.
                              sigpic
                              Mourning Sanctuary.
                              Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Wow...amazing ep.
                                When put into retrospect, this is really an achievement.
                                In fact it might be one of the best finales in the history of the Stargate franchise...and I don't say that lightly. What really makes this episode so amazing is that it takes an average time travel/dystopian future story ( which in and of itself was FANTASTIC), and lays down a great subtext with the themes of the Stargate franchise, specifically the power of an individual in his or her environment, the uncertainty of tomorrow, the meaning of grief and suffering, and mot importantly, the power of an idea. Granted we've seen the scientists and the SG teams come up with ideas in the bleakest of circumstances, but the scene in the SGC corridor where McKay has his " Eureka!" moment...just a great scene showing the power of an idea in the most dire of situations( despite the fact that it ultimately becomes his only reason for living).

Other great moments:
                                The initial reveal of the desert, like a good old classic movie

Sam's death- Very in character and strong

Ronon's death- Love the sense of irony here

EVERYTHING MICHAEL- Connor Trinneer is simply BRILLIANT when in this character. He's hands down THE BEST villain in SGA ( and possibly the entire Stargate franchise), for the fact that he's the perfect mixture of Lecter-like tenacity and self-loathing tragedy. Not to mention that he's essentially the Atlantis expedition's darkest mistake. The scene in his encampment where he kills the Wraith queen and his references to being a Wraith outcast...AWESOME. Great in terms of series continuity.

The mood- In terms of tone, despite initially sub par "tonal" qualities in Season 3, Season 4 was entirely different and really brought a sense of mood, whether good or bad to each episode. And The Last Man is the best closing note for this standard that I hope continues into Season 5. From the get go not only are things macabre, they're EXTREMELY macabre. It's not a Camelot finale with gigantic action spelling a cataclysmic doom, it just elaborates on this mood set in The Kindred part 1 ,which is that something in Pegasus is wrong, but nobody knows what it is. Not to mention it really uses the tragedy of the context of the episode to serve as a great homage to the spirit of these characters. Just brilliant.

Here's to Season 5.

Comment

Working...
                                X