Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was a good episode, although they could have done so much more with it. First, I would have gotten rid of the flashbacks entirely. The characters didn't know anything, so the audience shouldn't either. So as McKay found out more and more about the situation, the audience discovers it with him. Why are the soldiers acting like the secret police and rounding everyone up? Why is Teyla so important? It would have been a true mystery if we weren't told it was a disease.

Instead of the flashbacks, I'd fill the time with McKay's quest to find Teyla. And what would have been really a great bit of storytelling is to make Atlantis like a dystopian society, where the soldiers are just mechanically rounding people up and enforcing order. It really would have fit in, since they're doing that because of their memory loss. You'd have McKay escape with thematic elements from THX 1138 and 1984 (soldiers as secret police, scientists / civilians as the general population, Big Brother being represented by the soldiers' standing orders or even that picture of Sheppard). I think it would have been a really intense episode. Once they find Teyla, all of the flashbacks could be explained in a few lines. But the build-up to that would have been phenomenal and we'd get a mystery / thriller / dystopian tale out of it.

I still really liked what we got but I think it could have been a lot more intense.

As a side note, the schematics of the ventilation system really do look like the piping layout for a real system. The graphics were very reminiscent of the plant operations monitor at a steam plant of a company where I worked as an engineering intern.

Comment

This episode was great! What a season this is turning out to be.

Yes, so you can make a case for why didn't they put id tags on everyone or put bio sheets in everyone's pockets or have a laptop on loop with Carter telling everyone what was happening. But you know what? Then you wouldn't have had the fantastic episode. Just go with it, okay? I wanted to head off any complaints in that department! 8-)

My kind of guy:
      "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
      Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
      (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

SGA - SciFi Channel SGA Site Updates Nov. 2 - Tabula Rasa:

From the SciFi Channel's Stargate Atlantis site:

http://www.scifi.com/atlantis/

"Tabula Rasa"

http://www.scifi.com/atlantis/episod...&ep=0406&act=1

* Episode synopsis
        * Photos

Next NEW episode: "Missing" - Friday, Nov. 9 - Arriving on New Athos for an overnight visit, Teyla and Dr. Keller discover the entire settlement abandoned and their own lives in jeopardy from a primitive warrior tribe.

Trailer for "Missing:"

http://video.scifi.com/player/?id=176788

Alex Levine's Blog Update:

Learn more about this week's episode in the Stargate Blog!

http://blog.scifi.com/stargate/

NEW: QUIZ

Nov. 3, 2007
        The Jennifer Keller trivia quiz is just what the new doctor ordered. It's a prescription for fun!

http://www.scifi.com/atlantis/quizze...ex.php?start=1

VIDEO (at SGA's new Featurettes section)

http://www.scifi.com/atlantis/featurettes/index.php

NEW -
        Nov. 1, 2007
        In part one of a new video Q&A series, Amanda Tapping (Dr. Samantha Carter) answers fans' questions from SCIFI.COM's Stargate Atlantis Forum.

http://www.scifi.com/atlantis/featur...dex.php?Clip=6

or

http://video.scifi.com/player/?id=176262

Prior videos:

David Hewlett Q&A - Part 1
        David Hewlett (Dr. Rodney McKay) answers fan questions from the Forum in this special Q&A series.

http://www.scifi.com/atlantis/featur...dex.php?Clip=5

Q and A with Jewel Staite
        In part one of a new video Q&A series, Jewel Staite (Jennifer Keller) answers fans' questions from SCIFI.COM's Stargate Atlantis Forum.

http://www.scifi.com/atlantis/featur...dex.php?Clip=4

Q and A with Jason Momoa
        In part one of a new video Q&A series, Jason Momoa (Ronon Dex) fields fans' questions from SCIFI.COM's Stargate Atlantis Forum.

http://www.scifi.com/atlantis/featur...dex.php?Clip=3

Q and A with Joe Flanigan
        In a new video Q&A, Joe Flanigan (Col. John Sheppard) answers questions that were submitted by fans through SCIFI.COM's Stargate Atlantis Forum - Part 1.

http://www.scifi.com/atlantis/featur...dex.php?Clip=2

David Hewlett & Amanda Tapping
        Watch the new video Q&A with Stargate Atlantis stars Amanda Tapping and David Hewlett, who answered fans' questions about the show's fourth season.

http://www.scifi.com/atlantis/featur...dex.php?Clip=1

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
        SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
        Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

I really liked this one. What a step up from last week!

+Interesting story that took a relatively dull base concept and executed it well.
          +Very clever to have Atlantis' own military become the antagonists. The way the various events were set up was intriguing. It was a little too convenient that McKay left his work at pressing the Enter key, but I'll let it slide just because I'm so relieved the episode had more depth than the paper-thin Travelers.
          +Ronon was hilarious and cool.
          +I always enjoy seeing Teyla beat dudes up.
          +I also always enjoy seeing Zelenka. He's great every time.
          +Keller continues to be perfectly amiable.
          +Sam didn't seem too out of place this episode. I'm still not seeing how she's some massive improvement over Weir though. Whatever. (She looked nice in black, too.)
          +Creepy feeling throughout the "Present" scenes. Nice work on lighting, directing, etc.
          +A reference to a lost character. Wow! On SGA!?
          +It's nice that they actually used an intricacy of the Pegasus galaxy for a plot point, and nicer still that the new planet had an impact on things.
          +Cute ending scene. I was afraid she was gonna die. (The desired effect, I'm sure.)
          +Hey, wait! An episode that took place on the city the show is named for? I-impossible!

Comment

This is so unfair, I can't see this until I can find somewhere to download it from, I'm going crazy waiting! Sounds like a really good episode from what everyone is saying though so it should be worth the wait.
            sigpic

Comment

Another terrific episode to a fantastic season!

Really enjoyed this one.

Fascinating change in Rodney's behavior when he's around Katie. You can see that Rodney has been hiding behind his sarcastic attitude for a long time -- who has he been hurt by and why? But his love for Katie is...affirmative and healing. VERY glad that Katie survived this disease, looking forward to seeing more of Rodney and Katie.

Lovely way to show character growth.

As mentioned in previous posts, having all the characters retain their core identity was excellent. The same occurred with the exquisite SG1 episode, "Beneath the Surface" -- Daniel was still the diplomat, Teal'c the protector, Jack the instigator, and Sam the wonderer. In this episode, Sam relied on her "gut" feelings about the people around her and the situation.

LOVED Zelenka! Wow, Zelenka is getting a work out this season. He is so enjoyable. Interesting though, how he remembered both English and Czech.

Interesting on the use of the lighting to highlight the flashbacks, and according to Alex Levine's blog, this was all done while filming, and not in post-production.

Looking forward to "Missing," the remainder of the season, and of course, season five.

Woo-hoo!

Morjana

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                Did you guys see the new Sci-fi lineup for Friday? Woo hoo!

Flash Gordon 8/7c
                Stargate Atlantis 9/8c
                Stargate Atlantis(New) 10/9c
                Thanks for the heads up, Briangate78

According to TV Guide Online, this is the line up (and subject to changes):

6pm Stargate SG-1
                7pm Bionic Woman
                8pm Flash Gordon
                9pm Stargate Atlantis - repeat of "Tabula Rasa"
                10pm Stargate Atlantis - new episode "Missing"
                11pm Flash Gordon
                MIDNIGHT Stargate Atlantis - new episode "Missing"
                1am Stargate SG-1

Morjana

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by siXbrownSnakes2 View Post
                  Meh.

It was interesting and different, I'll give it that. But it was only really suspenseful at the beginning because you knew they would eventually find teyla and that ronon and sheppard would eventually find the drug.

It seems a common habit with TPTB these days. There is a problem, then there is a bunch of dialog between the characters which essentially creates a plan to deal with said problem, and then the rest of the episode is just that plan being carried out. That and/or the ending is quick and cheesy.

I hate knowing how the episode is going to end 30 minutes in. However, if that is the case, I'd like it to be in an episode like this one.

On the flip side, the acting was superb and Martin Wood did an excellent job directing.
                  That's just about every show on TV though. Except Heroes maybe. It takes them a whole damn season to tell one story...
                  || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
                    Yeah my friend and I were talking about how Teyla took on like a mythic quest kind of role. We compared it to Heroes "Save Teyla, Save the city"
                    nice
                    || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Anlaria Onyx View Post

The actors were beyond amazing. Honestly, who knew Kavan could play a crack head so well?
                      He kinda played a junkie on Smallville too. I didn't really like his character and thought he sucked. He's cool as Lorne though.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate-builder View Post
                        This is so unfair, I can't see this until I can find somewhere to download it from, I'm going crazy waiting! Sounds like a really good episode from what everyone is saying though so it should be worth the wait.
                        Is it on iTunes yet? The only time I've ever checked was for 'Adrift' and that one took forever because the put up the wrong episode.

Comment

I loved Tabula Rasa!

I'm new to Atlantis (11 year SG1 fan) and begrudgingly went back to watch the first 3 seasons to catch up. With the new season, I've liked some episodes, but almost gave up after last week's show. The stories as a whole just weren't grabbing me. There were shining moments, but I was still watching out of loyalty to Stargate and not because of an intense burning desire to see 'Atlantis'.

And then I saw Tabula Rasa. Of course, to add to the excitement of the evening, my cable/TV spazzed out the first 20 minutes and I was rushing from room to room trying to find a TV that worked. (Just like in the show )

I loved it. It 'grabbed' me and I felt like I was watching a 'classic' SG1 episode. Good story, good action, good character interaction, some humor, everything. So now I'm hooked for the rest of the season and actually am excited to see the rest of the episodes.

I loved Zelenka too. Just a hint of old geo-politics with the Czech being the only one to evade the soldiers (hints of his country's past relations with the Soviets). Excellent!

Another reason I think I liked the show so much was Rodney and Sheppard were separated. The two of them together have really been grating on my nerves and I really needed a break from the two of them together. 'Low-key' Rodney was actually pretty endearing. Katie is good for the character and the show IMO.

It was neat to see the 'true' natures of each character eventually emerge as the show went on. All of the cast gave amazing performances. Did anybody else notice just how many pens the one 'Dr.' (who I've never seen before, black poofy hair) had in his pocket?

Great job cast and crew!!

Comment

There is one points missing in your pointes why this is an absolutely adorable episode.

In the last scene, where Rodney is sitting next to Katies bed it is actually her holding his hand. This was so sweet.
                            Last edited by iolanda; 03 November 2007, 05:48 AM.
                            The cake is a lie!

Comment

Originally posted by iolanda View Post
                              There is one points missing in your pointes why this is an absolutely adorable episode.

In the last scene, where Rodney is sinnting next to Katies bed it is actually her holding his hand. This was so sweet.
                              I agree wholeheartedly

Comment

I havent actually seen this episode yet but from wht all you guys have wrote it looks awesome
                                Sig Bye Me and Avi bye Luciana

Comment

Working...
                                X