Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your classic stuck in a space (elevator) episode (I heard that this is used quite a lot on that Grey's Anatomy show). I thought it was pretty well done. I echo the sentiment that it is good to see Zelenka save the day (although he sort of did that in the season opener). I liked the development between Rodney and Katie (if I heard Rodney's birth year correctly, he was kind of getting old enough to start thinking about settling down). I'm not so sure how I feel about Ronon/Keller (probably more indifference than anything else)...Keller would have really prove herself in my book if she was able to make nitroglycirine from the medications ala MacGyver. I liked the Sheppard/Teyla interaction in this episode and Sheppard got some good lines as usual. Finally, I also liked Carter/Zelenka interaction quite a bit. Carter showed displayed more patience in this episode than most of the other characters.

On the nitpick side, I guess it was established that the windows in Atlantis are made out of glass. However, I would have guessed that some sort of a force field would be used to reenforce the glass in the case of a lockdown. That was a bit too convenient.

Btw, has Mercury been running car ads during Atlantis all season long? This is the first time that I have noticed the slew of Jill Wagner ads during SGA.
    I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
      Mckay/Katie

All I can say is Mckay needs to grow up and become a man. He truly messed that entire moment up with Katie. Blaming himself that he was not ready I think was his way of saying how scared he was.
      I haven't seen it so I won't pretend to know what you are talking about but sometimes things are just not black and white, and really from the total lack of chemistry with these two I think if they decided it wasn't time or wasn't the right thing for them... well that sounds bloody mature to me. Also marriage is so over rated they let the likes of Britney Spears do it after all.
      Anyway I think Katie was only ever there to please some fans who think McKay should be different, (you know not like McKay at all! ).

Originally posted by wheresmyfroggy
      I'm not talking about solving the problem. You're right, it was awesome to see Zelenka in action. I'm talking about after that, when everyone was in the commissary. Mckay gets left out of team moments too often. It feels like Shep/Teyla/Ronon are a team, with this Mckay guy that comes along sometimes.
      He isn't part of the TEAM that was proven in Tao and in M&MM.

Seems like I should just give this one a miss really.

Comment

Never trust an internet forum discussion that is based on rumors and made-up facts. That's what I've learned. Especially here. Things get distorted and it's like throwing a stone in a lake, as the ripples get farther and farther away it is hard to tell where the original source of the stone was thrown.
        I'll take a note of that.?* I wonder who started that rumor. Anyway, I am glad they are both alive. I think she helps bring a depth to McKay.
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Alicia View Post
          Well, they tried to get it open from both sides, whereas all of the others were only able to try from one side and only in pairs. (Versus two one side one, two from the other.)
          I think I remember Carter saying that the doors on the 'closet' were lighter than the other doors earlier in the episode. They just needed a little more help.

Comment

I enjoyed this episode very much actually. It was mediocre for a stand alone but I thought it was a nice calm to bridge the gap after last week's action filled episode.

I am jumping on the Kellan (or Kellex?) ship. I thought in the beginning when I saw some fanart about it months ago that it wasn't going to happen. I am for one shocked and amused to be totally wrong.

And I screamed at TV the whole time Teyla stepped outside and considered climbing the tower.

What I want to know though is what Zelanka was muttering in Czech. He is awesome went talking in Czech. Some times I wish it came with subtitles.

.....now I hope that we have plenty of thrilling episodes to distract me from the fact it is still five whole weeks until The Kindred is aired...
            Last edited by PhoenixKnght86; 18 January 2008, 07:44 PM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

Originally posted by Alicia View Post
              Well, they tried to get it open from both sides, whereas all of the others were only able to try from one side and only in pairs. (Versus two one side one, two from the other.)
              Didn't McKay say the computer would disconnect the opening mechanism somehow so there was no way the door could be forced open? I thought he said that in the beginning, which is why I also was puzzled at how easy Shep and Lorne got the door open for Carter.

But this episode did have a lot of iffy moments. There was humor, but Rodney was overboard, and Keller was doing her usual self-centered whining act, as someone previously mentioned, "OMG, I was sooooo smart, and I missed soooooo many parties, wah, wah, wah, poor, poor me." I don't like her either, and now that the truth of Carson's death has been revealed, I absolutely hate her. Yep, Carson was torched by a tumor, so Ronon could get a hot squeeze. Yecch!

I did like Zelenka as a hero, and it was good to see others in the control room, including Chuck, working on the problem. That Ancient glass though, *sigh* They obviously never heard of Pella.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                He isn't part of the TEAM that was proven in Tao and in M&MM.

Seems like I should just give this one a miss really.
                I know what you're talking about in M&MM, but what are you referring to in Tao?

I'm not rewatching it, that's for sure.
                sigpic
                It was Arrested Development

Comment

Originally posted by GateLadyM View Post
                  No one can open the door because the mechanisms have been disconnected. Even Ronon can't get a budge. But Shep and Lorne can easily pull doors open for Carter and Zelenka. *shakes head*
                  I guess the elevator doors are weaker than that of most rooms.

As a big Zelenka fan, I think it was fairly consistent that Zelenka is not quite as apt at thinking under pressure compared to Carter. He also has quite a tendency to blow the fuse of stuff.
                  I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

This was a pretty good episode. The spread out events quite nicely in it. I liked how everyone was paired up in a different part of the city. I however hate when they damage Atlantis and then it's magically fixed. I wonder how they'll explain the replaced glass and balcony door glass in the next episode or will it be like in the beginning of season 4 when the big stain glass window shattered out in "First Strike" returned? Sheppard climbing the tower was pretty cool but what were the odds that the tower had a rigid surface instead of smooth? Not likely. I do however like that we found out that the lab was only 4 levels under the Gate room, I'm a blueprints and schematics type of person and I love that stuff. The thing that bothered me was about McKay messing with the quarantine protocols, I can't believe that one. But I guess without that this episode wouldn't have happend. The Oxygen tank scene was so wrong in many ways, I don't know much about tanks but I doubt ANY tank, especially a very large tank like that would go flying through the air. What's up with Ronon and Dr. Keller now? A reason for her to stay around? McKay and Katie didn't end up working. I wonder where they'll go from here.

Vala,

Comment

I really enjoyed the character development of this episode. I do however found some of the plot puzzling.

How come the inner doors are much more secure then the exterior windows?

I did not think Atlantis was air tight, I believe in Adrift Rodney said without the shield the city could not support an atmosphere.

Shouldn't the self distruct been activated by the first window being broken when john went out?

How would their communications be affected by the city's quarantine? It seems to be earth tech and not connected to the city.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetsong View Post
                        I think I would have turned Rodney down based on the fact that he only got her an 8th of a carat of a diamond, what is that?
                        So let me get this straight, if an ugly moron presents you with a huge real rock, you would marry him??? I never could understand the neccesity of having a diamond as a proof of love. Good job, De Beers! *thumbs up*

Ok, now about the episode. It is always nice to get to know the people and this was a very good one at that. Liking main characters as people as opposed as heros makes us fell in love with the show like nothing else.
                        Good jokes here, about pregnant women going into labor, about the pigeons, nice reference to Hitchhikers Guide. I thought that joke about TLC causing Rodney's cactus grow more was in a bad taste, frankly.
                        I hope they do not kill off Kathy. She is actually made of tougher stuff than I thought, behaving calmly in the uncertain situation and doing her best to keep Rodney from panicing. Too bad he is such a primadonna. Frankly, he does not deserve this woman and she has realised that in the end. Overall nice piece of relationship writing.
                        I am happy for Ronon and Keller. The brainy cutie and the beast, makes sense actually. After the phrase that she never really belonged I was expecting Ronon to reassure her that now she belongs here. Basically he did just that, just not exactly in these words.
                        Scary tower climbing, I felt dizzy just looking at that. While that was a tad of a stretch, as far as realism goes, I found the Zelenka's fall from the shaft much more of a stretch. At least Sheppard is training like crazy, but how Zelenka managed to fall in a way not to break his neck without special training, I do not know. However, for me suspending disbelief for the favorite shows is never a problem. It was great to see Carter in the saddle again, even if briefly. Generally it was a nice episode, not spectacular, but well done.
                        If only they did not have those super annoying Jill Wagner Mercury commercials...
                        sigpic
                        -I want you to know, even if you are gonna forget, that I wasn't with you all these years because we were trapped on this god-awful ship. I was with you because—
                        - I know. And I want you to know that I—
                        - I know. I know.

Comment

I went into this ep with great excitement so I'm feeling a little disappointed. I thought it was a good ep but not great. It was a bit uneven and dragged in parts. It was nice to see some different character interaction, and some parts were pure gold. Caveat: I am not a shipper of anyone, but I'm not opposed to it.

The gold
                          * the opening with John and Rodney - playing computer golf! The banter was great, and Sheppard's support when he realized McKay was serious (after the teasing about the itty, bitty, give-me-a-break diamond) was really nice.
                          * John knowing how Rodney came up with his passcode and his comment about ego. Also "42". Nice callback to Doppleganger.
                          * the conversation between Sheppard and Teyla about his college friend that's a cop. Not only an excellent nod to those that put their lives on the line every day (including MANY single mothers) but a nice way to start explaining why Teyla will be back on the team next season. Also, John's reminder about having family - a nice callback to Sateda.
                          * Teyla's face when the baby kicked. Awwww....
                          * Radek's reaction when Sam took off her jacket. I'm still laughing.
                          * both pigeon conversations - another nice callback (yea for continuity!!) although I'm ashamed to admit I can't remember which ep, and Sam's expression as she tries to explain her comments
                          * Carter geeking out with the tablet - science Sam returns!
                          * Ronon's glee as he tries to blow his way out of the infirmary. I loved the Ronon and Keller scenes - all of them including the last one in the mess hall
                          * Zelenka chewing himself out in Czech as he crawls through the vent (very Die Hardish) and then sliding into the power room. I love him.
                          * the ending scene between Katie and Rodney - specifically when she tells him goodbye as he leaves. He seems to suddenly realize what she's saying and turns as the doors close between them. Nice symbolism for the end of that relationship. I was neither for nor against this pairing so my feelings for it ending (and I do believe that's what she was saying) are indifferent except for the impact it will have on McKay.

The not-so-good
                          * Sheppard climbing the tower. Didn't find it believable in the least. I saw it as out of character for him, and I never believed he was in real danger.
                          * not enough Lorne!
                          * except for the conversation with John (and some impressive computer skills we haven't seen much of) Teyla was wasted here. And climbing out on that ledge. Seriously.
                          * Rodney redid the protocols to help with an outbreak and didn't notice that a signal would be broadcast to approaching ships? Really?
                          * most of the scenes with Rodney and Katie. This is my biggest complaint. There was nothing going on (which I think was the point, but still) and it slowed down the story. I also found his defeatist attitude to be slightly out of character. I know he is a natural pessimist and thinks only he can save the day, but he's been on Atlantis for almost four full years. He's seen others save the day when he couldn't (rare, but it's happened - Sheppard solving the puzzle in The Brotherhood for one but most recently Todd saving Jeannie in Miller's Crossing). He's seen his team and Carter do amazing things over the years, and yet he just lays down to die? They obviously used this to end the relationship with Katie (in my eyes anyway - and yea for not killing her off), but I just didn't buy it.

Next week Harmony. *tries to be positive*
                          sigpic
                          Sig by Luciana
                          My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

I wasn't sure about this ep when I first saw info about it. I was very concerned that they'd kill Katie I'm so glad they didn't. I love Mckay and Katie and was a tad disapointed that they didn't get engaged however Mckay is right it's too soon. I can understand his jitters. He was very unsure of himself and he knew he screwed up. You could tell that he was hurting as he left the room and the door shut. The scenes were well done between the two of them really good job on the writers part. I hope they are still together after this. I had heard about the Keller/Ronon ship and wasnt sure if I would like it but I did. They look so great together and I hope something develops between them. Jewel really shined in this one and proves again how good she is. Never expecte the child prodigy part but I'm glad the writers finally put that issue to rest. At least I have more ammo when I defend her. Shep climbing the tower was brillant,nerve racking and well done. It looked like it was actually Joe doing it as it was so up close. I thought I was going to have a heart attack when he nearly fell. Carter and Zelenka complemted each other quite well. It was great to see Zelenka finally save the day. The scenes between John and Teyla were also very well done. He really does care for her. She so wanted to help glad she realised she shouldnt. This was a great episode very well done.
                            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Never trust an internet forum discussion that is based on rumors and made-up facts. That's what I've learned. Especially here. Things get distorted and it's like throwing a stone in a lake, as the ripples get farther and farther away it is hard to tell where the original source of the stone was thrown.
                              I take the rumors quite lightly. A few major ones were when people were saying at the beginning of season 4 that Carter was coming in a ship of her own which I never believe and was right. That Atlantis was going to get the Odyssey's ZPM which DIDN'T happen and I never thought it would.

Vala,

Comment

Meh. Not one of the best. Despite all the warning bells and character musings, I didn't really get a sense of foreboding. "OMG! Medical Lock-Down!" False, nevermind. "OMG! Rodney screwed up!" False, nevermind. By the time they got the the "OMG! Self-Destruct!" I didn't really feel it. You can only yank the emergency chain so many times.

What I liked:

-Lorne
                                -Zelenka Saves the Day
                                -Sheppard teasing Teyla about possible labor.
                                -Carter used her knowledge

What I didn't like:

-Teyla climbing out that window.
                                -Zelenka messing up in front of Carter and him repeatedly asking for her forgiveness. Made him look so incompetent and Zelenka has NEVER been shown that way before. I get that they want Carter to look smart, and I liked her ideas, but I don't understand why Radek has to look like an utter idiot in comparison.
                                -Keller and Ronon. Those scenes were so awkward, imo. No chemistry. Very forced. I used to really like Keller, but she got on my nerves here.
                                -Rodney and Katie mess. It was the first time I ever felt sorry for Katie, and I don't even like her character! Rodney hasn't been that obnoxious/rude/unthoughtful/annoying since...well that might have been the worst for me. I would have taken one of those planters and whacked him over the head just to get some peace. And again, he's actually my favorite character! I think their relationship has to be over. They made Rodney out to be so horrible that the look on Katie's face said it all. I never liked their relationship but I wished they destroyed it without Rodney looking like a complete heel.

Overall, I bounced back and forth between SGA and Psych. Psych was much better.

Comment

Working...
                                X