This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AutumnDream View Post

- Yeah, uh... infiltrate the home world of the most technologically advanced race in the galaxy, steal a number of valuable, heavily guarded (I should hope) items, and make a clean getaway! The fact that the characters even consider this possibility is not the saddest part. What really pains me is that I can see this plan succeeding flawlessly, given absurdities we've been subjected to in Stargate history. Please, writers - if you are going to have your characters do something this stupid, make sure there are heavy, heavy consequences. (Like a major character's death.) The integrity of the writing is not worth whatever RAD ACTION SHOTS you get out of these heists. I really hope this only works because they just got hit by a bunch of nukes, and even then, it had better not work very well.

Looks like you haven't seen Lifeline yet.
    My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

I am hoping it will be executed tastefully. The first escape from Asurania or whatever was goofy enough. :/

Originally posted by Kliggins View Post
      Tacky, unprofessional, disrespectful and premature with the new credits.
      Agreed.

Comment

I really enjoyed that... I'm so glad I haven't read any spoilers or titbits... so I was pretty much on the edge of my seat trying to work out what was going to happen next.
        I thought it was a strong opener... although I was surprised to see Carter already.
        What I really liked:
        • Ronon thanking the comatosed Weir was really touching.
        • Sheppard and Rodney conflict was pretty good. I liked that Sheppard took a hard line about activating the nanites.
        • I didn't realise the city could compress itself... that was interesting.
        • Kaylee, er I mean Keller playing Simon doctor
        • That nothing was that easily resolved.

I'm really looking forward to next week's "heist" episode. I'm such a sucker for heist stories.
        sigpic
        "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

i really really liked this episode. and hoping it's goin to be better then season 3.
          Eagles On Pogo sticks

Comment

I absolutely loved this season premiere. I liked it more than Siege III personally, and certainly more than NML.

What I loved.

The characters.

For me, the show is about many things, but how these people interact with each other is vital.

Sheppard was wonderful here for me. He stepped up to take over the leadership role at a time when he was incredibly upset at what had happened to Weir. His scenes with Keller, where she explained Weir's condition, had me having tears in my eyes! Kudos to Joe for conveying the withheld, yet barely contained emotions Sheppard had. He definitely had tears in his eyes, and the way he could barely look Keller in the eye in case his control slipped was so powerful. It was wonderful to see how much he cared about his friend, and a realistic reaction to the severity of her situation.

Sheppard's scenes with McKay were some of the best I've seen. From him reminding Rodney, albeit reluctantly, that he needed to be kept in the loop, and Rodney acknowleding that apologetically, to the tense scenes where they butted heads, to the sweet and heartfelt apology, and Sheppard's gracious acceptance of that. These were wonderful scenes to me, and shows how much these two characters and their relationship has grown and matured.

I liked how Sheppard was professional here, not letting his personal feelings get in the way of difficult decisions. I also liked that Rodney was the one who had the emotional response and was a little reckless reactivating Weir's nanites out of the desperate need to save her. Sheppard and McKay's responses changed here from the norm. Usually McKay is the logical one and Sheppard is driven by his emotions and desire to save everyone, but here he became a leader and thought of the city first, and Rodney let his emotions rule his judgement. I like that development for both characters.

McKay was excellent here. As mentioned in the scenes above, but I can't forget him flying the PJ in the asteroid field! How nice to see him doing a little heroic flying for a change, albeit reluctantly!

Teyla wasn't around that much, but when she was she was a calm and strong influence, taking control of things in Sheppard's and McKay's absence.

Ronon's scene with Weir was so sweet and heartfelt, and felt very emotional.

Carter's introduction was subtle and worked well for me. Though having seen Lifeline, I will comment more on her in that thread at a later time, because we didn't really see that much of her here. What I saw I enjoyed, however. Same for Dr. Lee.

Dr. Keller was good in the scenes she was in. Calm but professional at all times. I have high hopes for her, despite her obvious youth.

I also love Zelenka here, especially in his scenes with Sheppard. The two have a great chemistry and it was wonderful to see them share tense and rather spectacular scenes. Good old Dr Z, battling on with his wounded leg!

There isn't much to say about Weir here. Again, I'll save my thoughts for Lifeline.

The special effects were outstanding in this episode. The PJ scene had me having my heart beating wildly with wonder and excitement, and visually it was the real cherry on the top of the cake for me! I loved, loved it! Blowing away those asteroids was just a marvellous idea and the scenes worked so well for me!!!!

The space walk was terrific and the views we saw as the shot drew away from Shep and Radek and then swung round was breathtaking.

I liked the pace of the episode, enjoyed the drama of one disaster striking after another, and just felt this was the perfect continuation from FS.

It not only didn't disappoint, I thought it was a better episode that FS and was a wonderful start to the season. Well done to everyone involved in its making. I think you did yourselves proud.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kliggins View Post
              <snip>

Tacky, unprofessional, disrespectful and premature with the new credits.
              Agree with you 100% there. Professionalism it was not.
              sig made by me

Comment

Originally posted by justhere1971 View Post
                Agree with you 100% there. Professionalism it was not.
                I'd disagree there. Everything is signed and sealed before the season starts as far as opening credit status/guest star status is concerned. So I don't see it as unprofessional at all. All the actors will know what they signed on the dotted line for. If you're a recurring character, you're not in the credits. I think the situation with Ford was different, because they didn't want JM appearing in the credits before he'd been introduced to the Atlantis audience, whereas AT has appeared on the show before and is known to us. That's my take on the situation, anyway.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
                  I'd disagree there. Everything is signed and sealed before the season starts as far as opening credit status/guest star status is concerned. So I don't see it as unprofessional at all. All the actors will know what they signed on the dotted line for. If you're a recurring character, you're not in the credits. I think the situation with Ford was different, because they didn't want JM appearing in the credits before he'd been introduced to the Atlantis audience, whereas AT has appeared on the show before and is known to us. That's my take on the situation, anyway.
                  I'd agree with you if they had done the same with Paul. Paul was there.

Weir is in these two episodes, at least leave her in until the 2nd episode and then by all means have Carter there. For as long as Carter was in this episode she was more like a guest actor. Also if Carter's role is more supporting, then shouldn't she be after Teyla? Before Ronon definitely.
                  sig made by me

Comment

Originally posted by beneaththeblue View Post
                    I thought it was a very good episode. But once again I'm wondering-why is Dr. Lee still employed by the SGC? Has he ever come up with a good idea? Other than the "twilight bark"?

Weir is history, I'm afraid, no matter what vague comments TPTB may make about her possibly returning in Season 5. First they Wraithify Ford, now they Replify Weir, and I'm betting the outcome will be the same, which makes me sad.
                    Unfortunately Dr. Lee has been turned into comic relief, but at least we're not stuck with Felger (phew). I suspect after Weir's fourth appearance (which hopefully won't be as brief as the one in "Adrift") she'll be gone, even if there is a fifth season.

Originally posted by darman View Post
                    One little nitpick: McKay just figuring out how to program a piece of advanced alien technology to repair human flesh is a bit of a reach.
                    Probably no more different than Carter assisting in medical procedures in SG1, which was patently absurd... she has no medical background at all.

Comment

I'd agree with you if they had done the same with Paul. Paul was there.

Weir is in these two episodes, at least leave her in until the 2nd episode and then by all means have Carter there. For as long as Carter was in this episode she was more like a guest actor. Also if Carter's role is more supporting, then shouldn't she be after Teyla? Before Ronon definitely.
                      Yes, but don't forget that Carson went during the season and that contracts had already been signed, thus he was contracted to appear in the opening credits. Torri wouldn't have been because it was a new season.
                      sigpic

Comment

Yes, but don't forget that Carson went during the season and that contracts had already been signed, thus he was contracted to appear in the opening credits. Torri wouldn't have been because it was a new season.
                        Good point. You're right. On a personal level though, it just felt a little insulting to the actress. Anyway, it's just business.
                        sig made by me

Comment

Good point. You're right. On a personal level though, it just felt a little insulting to the actress. Anyway, it's just business.
                          Yes, I see your point there. Personally you thought it was not acceptable, but business wise it's how things are done, I think.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                            Unfortunately Dr. Lee has been turned into comic relief, but at least we're not stuck with Felger (phew). I suspect after Weir's fourth appearance (which hopefully won't be as brief as the one in "Adrift") she'll be gone, even if there is a fifth season.

Probably no more different than Carter assisting in medical procedures in SG1, which was patently absurd... she has no medical background at all.
                            I agree that I really don't see her reappearing in season 5 anymore. Not unless they bring her back as evil and then work something out. Which would be unfortunate for the character.

I agree w/ the McKay able to program the nanites all of a sudden. If he's able to do it now, why not back in TRW? Just seemed like a HUGE jump.
                            Last edited by justhere1971; 29 September 2007, 04:13 AM. Reason: grammar
                            sig made by me

Comment

I agree that I really don't see her reappearing in season 5 anymore. Not unless they bring her back as evil and then work something out. Which would be unfortunate for the character.

I agree w/ the McKay able to program the nanites all of a sudden. If he's able to do it now, why not back in TRW? Just seemed like a HUGE jump.
                              I think if there's a season 5, whether Weir comes back is up to how the storyline progresses and whether Torri is able to or wants to come back. I hope whatever happens Weir doesn't go evil in the future. That's just me though.

As for McKay's ability to re-rogramme the nanites...hmmm, well he is a genius Lots of things are beyond belief in scifi, so I just smile and think okaaaaay.
                              sigpic

Comment

I think if there's a season 5, whether Weir comes back is up to how the storyline progresses and whether Torri is able to or wants to come back. I hope whatever happens Weir doesn't go evil in the future. That's just me though.

As for McKay's ability to re-rogramme the nanites...hmmm, well he is a genius Lots of things are beyond belief in scifi, so I just smile and think okaaaaay.
                                Agreed & agreed. I suppose that's why it's called scifi.
                                sig made by me

Comment

Working...
                                X