Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Season 4 & Teyla Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
    But until I can see a normal human birthing for Teyla I'd have to take a backseat on that and almost any outlandish idea is plausible.
    Fair enough. Hey, we're all in the back seat. Some guy(s) who work at a place called Bridge Studios is/are driving.

But it's fun to talk ... extensively ... about which route we'd prefer they follow.

Comment

Originally posted by expendable_crewman View Post
      If Teyla was a Wraith queen and this is how Wraith queens reproduce, then asexual reproduction would be normal for Teyla.
      But Teyla's Wraith DNA plays a significant role and we have no idea the extent of her Wraith power and what it could mean in later episodes as we see a growth in her powers from S1 to S3, which would say that Teyla would have more than just a few abilities that are comparable to wraith.
      1) She runs faster than most humans and able to leap pretty high in the air. (The Rising II)
      2) She's apparently a bit stronger than your average lady, can sense the wraith, currently communicate and enter their head. (Suspicion, The Gift, The Seige II or III).
      3) She has been able to sense other beings that are not Wraith and differentiate from them. Plus she seems to be able to tell the slight nuances in wraith. (Epiphany and Instinct)
      4) Lastly we've seen her take on a Wraith Queen (a decidedly far stronger opponent than the males as they can't even be physically changed by the retro-virus) in a mental match (admittedly Queen was weak but proved moment of strength)---which would sort of disprove the previous ideas on what was Teyla's abilities if one only based them on S1 and S2.

Epiphany was just a perfect example of an ability I wouldn't have thought she would have had, but she does and that is definitely somethign part of her. So basically the point is that any idea so far is something that would be "normal" for Teyla when it's made canon.

Agreed. But check out this earlier comment from me: "I want what's normal for Teyla, whatever that is ... short of, of course, some internal insect-like reproductive trigger." Meaning the writers can and already have (season four is pretty much done) taken it wheresoever they like, right down to turning Teyla's gifts into some kind of DNA time bomb that impels reproduction. I would prefer they don't-- didn't. I like whump, don't get me wrong, but having your body turn against you ... I was hoping for a Teyla arc in which she *doesn't* lose control of her body.
      If it's something that has always been waiting to happen there is nothing that can be done about that--it is normal for her. It's part of who she is and actually both RL and JM have laid claim that her DNA play a significant if not major role in her pregnancy and also within all of the arc...so I don't know what to tell you, I get the impression you might just hate the arc in general since the DNA is important even if we look at it separate from the pregnancy.

See, that's what I mean by "hard," as in normal is hard to write. Passing the kid along is silly but it's what I've seen other shows do so the parent can resume battling the forces of evil unimpeded by a feeding schedule. Wouldn't it be a welcomed surprise if the writers came up with a tale and a twist none of us have thought of or expect?
      No. First off, I don't like kids (unless I could return them back to their parents when I've been around them for 10 minutes---their noisy, smelly, sticky, and annoying---which is novel in the first 5 minutes, then drains you in the next 5). Second, it's just not functional in a life and death situation that you continously put yourself in. If there were no Wraith and maybe if Atlantis didn't have so many damn enemies (with zero allies), I'd agree with you and skip down the yellow brick road. But in the situation that the SGA Ex finds themselves it's just not a go and really just not right in that setting. We don't have one bloody ally, but we have a slew of people who want us eradicated and then want to go to Earth....there's no way in hell I want a kid on the Ex. The fact remains that it's not functional in this setting and if the SGA Ex can't bloody take care of themselves which they're doing by a thread, find themselves utterly dependent on Earth and it's technology and armed forces----the SGA is not even safe for these adults let alone safe for a kid. It's not a cute story, it takes away from the show (becuase that opens doors for mini mistakes on using the kid) and really very "ugh" for me.

You are only giving light to all our fears, which can be summed up, am I wrong, by this: whatever the writers do, please please don't screw this up!

There are so many ways to blow it, and very few ways to nail this story as compelling, original and credible drama.
      That could be true, but I'm pro so I don't think they'll screw it up. But it depends on how they go with it. They could make the kid go through fruition or they could have Teyla lose the kid. I'm betting on losing.

I read this all over the board. Nobody wants Stargate to become another show, I get that.
      Uh, they're speaking in terms of SGA turning into SG1, and some soaps if there is John/Teyla. Not in regards to Teyla's pregnancy much.

And those of us who openly (or secretly, for that matter) want to see the show do a "normal" pregnancy aren't advocating Full House or Growing Pains. It's not an either / or, IMO: as in, either Teyla's pregnancy is an aberration and her offsping a monster ** or ** the pregnancy is normal and the result will suck the sci-fi right out of Stargate. A good writer could do it. Doesn't mean the writers are bad if they didn't do it. I'm just saying this isn't / wasn't rocket science-- I'm not a big fan of BSG comparisons, because in many ways BSG is the kind of soap I'm loathe to see repeated on Stargate, BSG's success aside. But take a look at Hera. She's not normal, I grant you, but right now she looks and acts normal. She's around but you hardly see her. You can feel her presence but her parents are warriors, and they take care of business. Hera's so far in the background now that you, the viewer, can choose to forget her if you want, but when you remember her, you know where she is.
      See that's my problem and really just another aspect of a soap life. Baby is in the background and makes special appearances. No thank you. You bring in the brat at least make her a significant player---as she was when she was in the womb. Plus I would "loathe" to use BSG in comparison, cause it's cancelled for a reason. And you see what I mean....cancelled can do this, a show that hopefully won't be cancelled since scifi got rid of so many of it's shows. It's all dependent on Eureka and SGA currently.

Baby in cancelled show versus possible baby in not cancelled show could cancel the show for possible baby. Besides having a crap storyline (I know some liked it, I didn't.), they weren't doing to well in their execution either.

Note: I am aware that the baby is not the reason for cancellation, hence my last statement.

Sci-fi television as a genre has done a lot of things Stargate hasn't, and that may remain true past seasons four, five, or six. I'm just saying it would have been a bigger challenge, writing-wise, to make Teyla's baby normal than to make her pregnancy and baby phenomenon, and if I get my wish in season four, I will be thrilled.
      But you're acting like this was a focus of the writers from the get-go. It was not. It wasn't something they were planning or wanting to do, they did it really to accomodate RL's condition as the Teyla character. So you would then have preferred Teyla take a background and play a similar role she played in S2 when it came to light that RL was pregnant since you feel the execution of the storyline might be boring and cliche?! I happen to really like Teyla and I respect the writers ability in actually still wanting to persue developing Teyla in light of the news. That being said, I also respect that they didn't have much going for them in really defining what they could do, in the limited time they were given and had at hand. So if the baby thing falls through it won't bug me in the least because the fleshing wasn't given the real time that it probably needed. Further more, from what i'm hearing what they're doing is just fine and I'll wait until I see before I'm disappointed and anti-scifi pregnancy versus normal. Lastly as I've said before, I don't care about the pregnancy much at all. My care is about Teyla as a whole, I only care about the pregnancy in relation to Teyla but I find that I'm more interested her past, how she handles the loss of her people and her relationships with her cast members. Sure I'd have a few problems if it was human and crawling all over the place, but I'm more interested in Teyla as a person.This baby thing means so little to me that either way they go with it I don't really care---I just find a baby a hindrance if it's normal, it's easier to get rid of if it's not human. <---and that's the crutch of the matter for me.

Fair enough. Hey, we're all in the back seat. Some guy(s) who work at a place called Bridge Studios is/are driving.

But it's fun to talk ... extensively ... about which route we'd prefer they follow.
      Agreed. Already wrote my post before I saw this. You can ignore it.
      Click statement above to read article.

Comment

...so I don't know what to tell you, I get the impression you might just hate the arc in general since the DNA is important even if we look at it separate from the pregnancy.
        No worries there. Teyla is my favorite character, followed by Sheppard. Whatever her character is going to do or go through this season, I'm there. As for the writers and their ideas, crazy or not, they have kept me glued to my TV prime time on Fridays for a bit over ten years. The only thing spoilers do is let me go on about what I wish would happen in advance. It's up to me to stay open-minded and I've learned what works best for me is let the story take me where it wants. The stuff I do on-line with you guys is just shaking the juice in my brain cells, and in my heart. As I said, I'm not driving the bus, nor do I want to. That's what fanfiction is for.

Long story short, we're just talking.

First off, I don't like kids
        Ah, here we're different. On another note, you can't smell TV kids.

Second, it's just not functional in a life and death situation that you continously put yourself in.
        If there were no Wraith and maybe if Atlantis didn't have so many damn enemies (with zero allies), I'd agree with you and skip down the yellow brick road.
        It's not necessary that anyone agrees with me for me to wish for what I wish for. Just sayin'. I'd like to add the yellow brick road scenario is not mine. I'll also add that in theory whenever Teyla gives birth to her successor, as her father's wife did before her, she (and for that matter every single human female in the PG) does it in a setting plagued by Wraith, at risk for cullings, under constant threat of annhilation. There are no yellow brick roads in the PG, no safe zones, no "perfect" times. Waiting until life allows for a child is a Milky Way concept, and only in certain places of the world.

It's not a cute story, it takes away from the show (becuase that opens doors for mini mistakes on using the kid) and really very "ugh" for me.
        Sounds like you'll be very disappointed if they go that route.

That could be true, but I'm pro so I don't think they'll screw it up.
        You can be pro (as in supportive of season four and positive about the stories and show's direction?) and worry they'll screw it up, but on this one, I agree with you.

If they go with an aberration or monster, their course is easy. It's not a very complicated story. Hero gets wickedly abused or tricked, there is a consequence followed by much angst and concern, discussions of ifs by friends and doctors and scientists and fellow Athosians followed by nail-biting and finally a birth. Options after birth: keep it, kill it, or give it away. Not rocket science, as I said. It's straight sci-fi. Crap, I'm yawning already.

For me to sit on the edge of my seat over the Teyla pregnancy subplot, yadda, yadda, it would have to be something besides the above.

I don't expect that's going to be true for every viewer, but it is true for me.

Uh, they're speaking in terms of SGA turning into SG1, and some soaps if there is John/Teyla. Not in regards to Teyla's pregnancy much.
        I don't think we play on the same threads, VB.

But you're acting like this was a focus of the writers from the get-go. It was not. It wasn't something they were planning or wanting to do, they did it really to accomodate RL's condition as the Teyla character. So you would then have preferred Teyla take a background and play a similar role she played in S2 when it came to light that RL was pregnant since you feel the execution of the storyline might be boring and cliche?! I happen to really like Teyla and I respect the writers ability in actually still wanting to persue developing Teyla in light of the news.
        Wow, we're going all sorts of places. Nice leaps and pretty big bounds. Maybe we should wrap up this convo and leave it at that.

Agreed. Already wrote my post before I saw this. You can ignore it.
        Already wrote my post before I saw this. You can ignore mine too.

Comment

No worries there. Teyla is my favorite character, followed by Sheppard. Whatever her character is going to do or go through this season, I'm there.
          That certainly sounds like something I can get behind.

Sel.

Comment

What the HELLis an arc??

Comment

Originally posted by HaHaHeHe View Post
              What the HELLis an arc??
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Story_arc

Comment

I'm really looking forward to Teyla getting a more meaty role. What I've seen of her history is fascinating.

I *am* a bit concerned about the baby storyline (Adria comes to mind as does the Starchild (rough pregnancy and all) on V ) but really hope they have something more interesting - and original - in mind.

::fingers crossed::

suse
                sigpic
                Mourning Sanctuary.
                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                  I'm really looking forward to Teyla getting a more meaty role. What I've seen of her history is fascinating.

I *am* a bit concerned about the baby storyline (Adria comes to mind as does the Starchild (rough pregnancy and all) on V ) but really hope they have something more interesting - and original - in mind.

::fingers crossed::

suse
                  this brings me to thinking that this whole infant storyline will be the THIRD one actually, the first being that everyone knows off the bat as Adra, the second being the son of Apophis, then Teylas baby, I'm just hoping TPTB know what they are doing and just have a "baby's born two scenes/episodes later baby dies/kidnapped/whatever" though i'm leaning for a Baby kidnapped scenario myself... possibly a baby daies off or is born dead... but then that would be a bit too cruel to do to Teyla I think

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                  "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                  "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

No worries there. Teyla is my favorite character, followed by Sheppard. Whatever her character is going to do or go through this season, I'm there. As for the writers and their ideas, crazy or not, they have kept me glued to my TV prime time on Fridays for a bit over ten years. The only thing spoilers do is let me go on about what I wish would happen in advance. It's up to me to stay open-minded and I've learned what works best for me is let the story take me where it wants. The stuff I do on-line with you guys is just shaking the juice in my brain cells, and in my heart. As I said, I'm not driving the bus, nor do I want to. That's what fanfiction is for.

Long story short, we're just talking.
                    Understood.

Ah, here we're different. On another note, you can't smell TV kids.
                    My power of smell is unbelievable. Much like Teyla's Wraith abilities, I developed this ability of sensing all aspects of parasites after my stint as an elementary school professor. ~sigh~ Best
                    Spoiler:
                    contraceptive
                    on Earth.

It's not necessary that anyone agrees with me for me to wish for what I wish for. Just sayin'. I'd like to add the yellow brick road scenario is not mine. I'll also add that in theory whenever Teyla gives birth to her successor, as her father's wife did before her, she (and for that matter every single human female in the PG) does it in a setting plagued by Wraith, at risk for cullings, under constant threat of annhilation. There are no yellow brick roads in the PG, no safe zones, no "perfect" times. Waiting until life allows for a child is a Milky Way concept, and only in certain places of the world.
                    That's true, but from what I've seen of Teyla her focus is ridding the PG of the wraith before any child. It doesn't look welcome and especially after being lost adrift, it would be something she'd hold back from. I would see her getting pregnant intentionally or unintentionally within a logical relationship after Missing, but she's obviously pregnant before to find it out after the ep (if the rumor is true).

Sounds like you'll be very disappointed if they go that route.
                    Yeah, I probably would. I mind starts ranging on how much time Teyla is or not spending with the child. Who is the kid spending time with? Is there a facility for babysitting? What kind of precautions are on site to protect the kid? Will I hear baby crying? How problematic will this be for a group of scientists, it's not like we're on Earth and you can drop the kid off at daycare? I just find baby stories pervasive. I was telling Suz the same thing if Katie got pregnant for McKay (we were talking about the comment JM had in his blog). I just think a baby, a live one and not one in the womb---just is rarely executed properly. It's like watching a rape story on a soap opera---it's never true to form and very wishy washy. I'd rather never have it happen to be safe. So if Teyla is pregnant my recommendation is it doesn't go to fruition.

I won't hate the show, but I'd probably jump over it. I don't care what the parasite is...human or not, I wouldn't be too keen on it crawling around.

You can be pro (as in supportive of season four and positive about the stories and show's direction?) and worry they'll screw it up, but on this one, I agree with you.
                    I agree with you there, I have a few of my own concerns which I've shared before.

If they go with an aberration or monster, their course is easy. It's not a very complicated story. Hero gets wickedly abused or tricked, there is a consequence followed by much angst and concern, discussions of ifs by friends and doctors and scientists and fellow Athosians followed by nail-biting and finally a birth. Options after birth: keep it, kill it, or give it away. Not rocket science, as I said. It's straight sci-fi. Crap, I'm yawning already.
                    No probs for me, I'm more into the Athosian problem and any angst she might have towards the SGA ex for some weird feeling of guilt and betrayal---oh yeah. <---That's what I want to see.

For me to sit on the edge of my seat over the Teyla pregnancy subplot, yadda, yadda, it would have to be something besides the above.

I don't expect that's going to be true for every viewer, but it is true for me.
                    I don't think the writers are expecting people sitting at the edge of their seat over it. That's why they don't talk too much about it...the focus for them if you see the previews or interviews is always about the interrelationship of the crew and their relationship with their allies and enemies. I think fandom has definitely went into a different direction that may not have been the intention of the writers. My focus is not on the parasite. I'm more concerned about the other 5 or so subplots in regards to Teyla.

[QUOTE=expendable_crewman;7086850]I don't think we play on the same threads, VB.[/qoute]
                    Agreed, beyond the JT thread I begged Suz for and maybe sporadically on the Teyla appreciation. We most definitely do not share much.

Wow, we're going all sorts of places. Nice leaps and pretty big bounds. Maybe we should wrap up this convo and leave it at that.
                    Most likely since I definitely not getting your point. Currently, the season is almost around the corner anyway, and all speculations and conjecture will be confirmed or claims in the wind. Either way in the end, none of the concerns matter since when it comes to what we have to expect on Teyla this season...they've been written and filmed. We just have to wait and see what is presented to us on screen and just deal which ever way it goes; and whinge (or jump for joy) on the ep commentary thread.

Already wrote my post before I saw this. You can ignore mine too.
                    Meh, felt like responding.

Comment

My power of smell is unbelievable. Much like Teyla's Wraith abilities, I developed this ability of sensing all aspects of parasites after my stint as an elementary school professor. ~sigh~ Best
                      Spoiler:
                      contraceptive
                      on Earth.
                      ROFL!! Seriously? *tries to get mental image of that* Nope. Can't see it. Got any pics?

Yeah, I probably would. I mind starts ranging on how much time Teyla is or not spending with the child. Who is the kid spending time with? Is there a facility for babysitting? What kind of precautions are on site to protect the kid? Will I hear baby crying? How problematic will this be for a group of scientists, it's not like we're on Earth and you can drop the kid off at daycare? I just find baby stories pervasive. I was telling Suz the same thing if Katie got pregnant for McKay (we were talking about the comment JM had in his blog). I just think a baby, a live one and not one in the womb---just is rarely executed properly. It's like watching a rape story on a soap opera---it's never true to form and very wishy washy. I'd rather never have it happen to be safe. So if Teyla is pregnant my recommendation is it doesn't go to fruition.
                      Those pesky Ancients had to have kids somewhere on Atlantis (even though we've had very few hints of it - the explanation of the holo Daniel uses in Pegasus Project comes to mind) so there must be a nursery/school area. But you're right - having a child around creates all sorts of story complications. Right now I wonder if it will even be resolved in S4.
                      sigpic
                      Sig by Luciana
                      My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffles View Post
                        ROFL!! Seriously? *tries to get mental image of that* Nope. Can't see it. Got any pics?
                        For Rufs!!!
                        Spoiler:
                        Fortunately I don't. I will tell you the story of what happened to me on my first day with first graders. Now first graders are demonic beings with unlimited amount of energy. This was a catholic school...so of course that means their energy was leashed, until apparently I came along.

So one of them says to me, I want to go to the bathroom. And I'm like whatever, go to the toilet---yes, I said whatever. Then another one is like I need to use the bathroom. And I'm like okay, then about 3 more, at this point say who else needs the bathroom. They knew me as Ms. B. It's difficult having a french name, little kids can't pronounce it. Anyway most of the class raises their hands.

And me, I don't know if it's because I forgot what it was like being a kid (I wasn't like that as a kid, so I couldn't relate)---I opened my big mouth and said anyone who needs to use the bathroom can---and for that instance I understood how the Pharoah of Egypt felt when he let the Jews free...

So I did what any great Pharoah would do, I ran after them like a headless chicken all over the school, scrambling to get the roaches back to their desks without the principal killing me. Now I was always luke-warm about kids, after that it was a definite dislike for them, their parents, and I wanted to get my tubes tied and what not.

In regards to the tube tied thing, it's utter non-sense Rufs. So my friend right, she's like she got a new parasite. And I'm like thanks, infesting the world more and more. She's so cool, she was like "somebody's got to do the job.." Anyway I'm like I'm so getting my tubes tied, and she says to me...hers were tied. I almost died Rufs. I almost shut down and died. So my decision was made for me----I'm done with the opposite sex in fear that even smelling them might get me in a predicament. [<----said in total jest ] Anyway it's true she still got pregnant besides the tube---that's the power of super sperm.

Anyway, I'm going on about how he's almost an immaculate conception and she's like we named him Gabriel. Gabriel, Rufs?! I couldn't believe it...God's hitman. She named him after God's hitman, so I tell her that and she's like she knows and that's why they named him Gabriel. I loved it. Okay total OT.

Those pesky Ancients had to have kids somewhere on Atlantis (even though we've had very few hints of it - the explanation of the holo Daniel uses in Pegasus Project comes to mind) so there must be a nursery/school area. But you're right - having a child around creates all sorts of story complications. Right now I wonder if it will even be resolved in S4.
                        Yeah, you're right, although I have to ask do the Ancients look like they were ever kids?! They look like they were born Taltos style... But you might be right. It does, I just think of the every day things that would just annoy me...it actually might make me dislike Teyla rather than liking her. I might find her a totally unfit mother because of the way that storyline is executed. And it's not really her fault, it's just writing just never flows well. I mean if you're not the Cosby show with some older siblings and a Dad and Mom who seem to be able to make their family time. Or at least a nanny around for 100% of the time, I always get the feeling there's some sort of neglect especially in a place that has tons of military and scientists. It's just not functional right now at least to have something like that on the show. Not until I start seeing Atlantis truly a city/city and not a base, if you get my meaning. Because when that's been established then you can bring in other cats.

Plus, with SGA ex's problem with getting and maintaining friends, which they have none of...but pissing everyone off---which they do with an uncanny ability. <----Sounds like me---almost, I have some, tiny limited amount of friends. It's just not kosher. That parasite no matter if it's human or not, would barely be able to survive and would be an awful hindrance to Teyla. ~sigh~

It's up in the air I think right now whether the kid will be resolved this issue. JM did confirm that in S5, if there is one they will be maintain the rough storyline they have going on here...so I think that means more John and Teyla story arc (respective of each other; since I find them the most lacking). And whatever else, but the baby could be taken out in S4, or resolved and dealt with in early S5, if there is one. Or for those who might be hoping on the parasitic development who knows maybe in S5, they really work it out or something.

Comment

Spoiler:
                          They should have done what they did with AT.. Have Teyla leave to another planet for awhile to help someone.
                          Babies and SciFi don't mix...p

Comment

The problem is though, that RL is going to be pregnant for most of Season 4. If you don't talk about the reason why her belly is getting huge, you'll probably had to write her out by midway through the season.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                              The problem is though, that RL is going to be pregnant for most of Season 4. If you don't talk about the reason why her belly is getting huge, you'll probably had to write her out by midway through the season.
                              And since they'd already ignored RL and Teyla for the last two seasons and had promised RL a story arc for Teyla in S4...

Without consideration for the fact that RL has a real life beyond the show, it was unfortunate that she had to get pregnant just as the writers started to pay attention to the character.

With consideration that the show is only part of her life, it's good that the writers think enough of her to write her pregnancy in, rather than banishing her character to character limbo for yet another year.

I wouldn't have stood for it.

I might have sat for it, though!

Sel.

Comment

And another interview with Rachel Luttrell. I've posted this in several places, and I think it should also go here. Spoilers for Season 4, especially one big one in particular. This is for Ruffles, since she said:

I'm still holding out for Unknown Guy.

Spoiler:
                                And just which character on 'Stargate: Atlantis' was it that got Teyla in this 'motherly way'?! "Well, you haven't met him. I will say though that he's part of her childhood. He's a part of how she was raised and reflective of her principles and how she grew up."

Stop beating about the bush ... what's this character's name?! "The character's name is 'Kanan,' how's that," she laughs. "That is the father-to-be. There you go, that tidbit's for free," she laughs heartily again.

Come on now, just throw me one other small bone of exclusive insider knowledge! "OK, I will also say that the actor also has a rather pivotal role in '300'," she laughs.

Source: http://www.annecarlini.com/ex_interviews.php?id=816
                                Last edited by Killdeer; 01 October 2007, 02:46 PM.
                                - Life after Stargate -
                                Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                                Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X