X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
    Beckett? Who's that guy?

His own real shining moment was in Poisoning the Well, back in season 1, and then he was a secondary.

I thought he became a main character because the writers realized they had something to tell about him, but it appears it was only because of fan idolization or whatever.

Point being, he never got any chance to shine that much, safe a few moments like in Phantoms or that brief moment in Siege part 3 with Ford.
    Agreed, I've been rather unimpressed with how TPTB have handled Carson. When he was bumped up to main character status in season 2 I was looking forward to more from him, and unfortunately TPTB delivered little to none. The whole retrovirus/Michael arc was the biggest waste - that was a great opportunity to delve into Carson, his decisions, his ethics, where he stood on the whole thing. In the end we got a handful of superficial scenes instead.

It was more of the same in season 3, coming to an awfully scripted end in Sunday. And then they threw in the McKay/Carson BFF end scene, which was especially jarring considering TPTB hardly developed their friendship at all.

Who knows, maybe TPTB can pull something great out for his return. I can't pull a completely neutral "wait and see" reaction though - how they wrote Carson in the past is the major factor contributing to my pessimistic view now.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
      Agreed, I've been rather unimpressed with how TPTB have handled Carson. When he was bumped up to main character status in season 2 I was looking forward to more from him, and unfortunately TPTB delivered little to none. The whole retrovirus/Michael arc was the biggest waste - that was a great opportunity to delve into Carson, his decisions, his ethics, where he stood on the whole thing. In the end we got a handful of superficial scenes instead.
      You definitely had more hope in that than me. I had no hope in Carson being used properly despite how much I like TPTB. They had 5 regulars Shep, Teyla, Weir, McKay, and Ronon---excluding Ronon, and even the smidgens I got on each character, none of them were to the potential that they could have been. And I need not mention my continous displeasure with Weir. There was no way I thought Carson could be given the quality exposure that he needed if the main regulars weren't being given that.

I agree with you on the retrovirus and it was definitely a missed opportunity with him. Overall, I figured Carson would fall flat, not hoping it would, but figured since as I mentioned I felt the main cast before was given a lackluster representation all around.

It was more of the same in season 3, coming to an awfully scripted end in Sunday. And then they threw in the McKay/Carson BFF end scene, which was especially jarring considering TPTB hardly developed their friendship at all.
      They didn't need to develop on it the relationship was established from S1, I didn't need it reaffirmed every single episode. I saw aspects of their friendship in episodes of S1, S2, and S3. So it was far from jarring.

Who knows, maybe TPTB can pull something great out for his return. I can't pull a completely neutral "wait and see" reaction though - how they wrote Carson in the past is the major factor contributing to my pessimistic view now.
      I see where you're coming from. But as I always say, colors are better than shades; so despite my worry about how bad this can be (and I really don't want him back), I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. ~sigh~
      Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith View Post
        Daniel Jackson died how many times?

Comment

Originally posted by MrMcKayCan View Post
          ...what is it that keeps you watching the show(s) and talking about it (them) on here? I get the impression you no longer get any enjoyment out of Stargate.
          I doubt that you or any of the others who ask antis/complainers this question really have any interest in the answer. Its been answered often enough and no explanation ever seems to be good enough.

I've already stopped watching, but I managed to love a few eps in S3 (ironically including Sunday) and I have hopes to love a few in S4, but they won't be the ones Carson is in.

Comment

To me it's not about being realistic or liking Beckett. What's not to like? They may have botched his character arc (subject to debate), but I've always liked the character's underlying sweetness. Unlike a lot of people, I didn't find the means of his death all that pointless... death is death... few of us have the luxury of choosing how we go. What is/was pointless is that now... it would seem... that it was a publicity stunt. Well, it's hard not to think of it that way, in light of recent events. Of course, the optimist in me wants to think that they have some great arc awaiting the character which contributes to the grand scheme of things. However, considering that Beckett was brought back as a result of the efforts of a conscientious group of dedicated fans, I'd say probably not...
            "For publicity's sake he died
            And for publicity's sake he returned..."

I wanted to say a whole bunch of stuff about death and scifi but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what I think... the man's coming back... I wouldn't have minded so much if I had the feeling in Sunday that it was going some where later but there was such a strong sense of finality about it. Even PM thought so.

I know the show hasn't aired yet and I could be jumping the gun yada yada yada... but what disappoints me about what the show has become from what has happened since the second half of S2 and from recent announcements is the lack of continuity. S3 was good and had some brilliant episodes but it lacked continuity overall. What a shame... it's what I loved about S1.
            sigpic
            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
              I doubt that you or any of the others who ask antis/complainers this question really have any interest in the answer. Its been answered often enough and no explanation ever seems to be good enough.

I've already stopped watching, but I managed to love a few eps in S3 (ironically including Sunday) and I have hopes to love a few in S4, but they won't be the ones Carson is in.
              Why would that answer not satisfy me? And why do I not want to hear the answer? I don't think I'd ever heard you mention something you enjoyed after season one. The fact that you still enjoy some and were a fan of most of it previously is plenty reason enough for me.

It obviously hasn't been answered often enough because I'm fine with that explanation and hadn't yet heard it.
              Theoretically spoilerish:
              Spoiler:
              Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Well, I do not want to see Beckett reappear in S4. I mean, he was shown to die, they has a memorial service and shipped what I presume to be body or more likely, body parts back to Earth.

So why can't the dead remain dead? Why does Sci-Fi seem to think that there is always ways around death? That people never really die. I'm sorry, but I mourned with Carson fans at his death. I'd like to keep some realism. Bring Carson back, no matter how well written is really cheapening death and the life that preceded that death. And that is what p*sses me off most.

I agree with ShadowMaat, even if my favorite character was killed off, I would be terribly angry, but I would want him to stay dead. As it should be for any/all characters. I am not looking forward to the Carson eps in S4.
                sigpic

Comment

Carson was a very interesting character. I miss the Carson-McKay "love" . I think Jewel will do a good job too. She just needs to get into the series .

Comment

I haven't seen Sunday.

If a writer is worth their salt, when they write-out a character which they can change their mind about and bring them back, you write them out in such a way that they CAN come back. They obviously did this well with Daniel Jackson (and hell, even used it as a character building exercise while they were at it), and depending on how Dr. Beckett dies (TBD because of above) then either it's hard to see or the writers truly didn't think they were bringing him back (which is naive to the extreme).

They left Ford's fate ambiguous for a reason. Same deal with Michael.
                    I will rule the world... and find that truly good cup of coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by Amakusa View Post
                      I haven't seen Sunday.

If a writer is worth their salt, when they write-out a character which they can change their mind about and bring them back, you write them out in such a way that they CAN come back. They obviously did this well with Daniel Jackson (and hell, even used it as a character building exercise while they were at it), and depending on how Dr. Beckett dies (TBD because of above) then either it's hard to see or the writers truly didn't think they were bringing him back (which is naive to the extreme).

They left Ford's fate ambiguous for a reason. Same deal with Michael.
                      I'm sure the writers have an idea. They claimed as much, now I didn't see this post but apparently JM said the avenue to bring him back can be found in S3.

I just saw a man
                      Spoiler:
                      be inflamed
                      , I have no clue as to how they're going to be able to rescue that--despite their plan.
                      Click statement above to read article.

Comment

shameless bump

Comment

- the real Beckett didn't die, just a real good clone
                          - Beckett ascended, he does have ancient DNA, comes back Daniel Jackson style
                          - McKay gets some powers or ascends and wishes him back. McKay is one of the smartest people of Earth, he figures it out.
                          - the tumor that killed him let him resurrect. He's a mutant and been at Area 51 for some time before he returns. Radiation + tumor juice = Mutant. Rapid cell regeneration powers. This power can later be used to bring Ford back. His mutoid cells could cure Ford's mutation. Uses his own patented gene therapy to do it.
                          - Ori bring him back to screw with McKay's mind. They need him to work on some weapon.

Comment

Working...
                          X