This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
    I am so happy that the people on here don't represent the general viewers.
    With respect, unless you've done an exhaustive poll, you don't know what the "general viewers" think... I personally suspect they're not all *that* bothered either way.. those of us who choose to participate in an online fandom tend to be generally more passionate about the show and all aspects of it than Joe Public.

My feeling is just that a) I'm concerned that the method in which they bring him back is gonna be cheesy and not do the character justice and b) I didn't want him to go but I watched him die and I cried and I've mourned for the character, as it were, and have dealt with it and, to a certain extent, moved on. To have him brought back - for what seems like just for the sake of it - cheapens that mourning for a beloved character and makes his death a pointless plot filler instead of a heart-breaking, poignant event.

As I'm sure you've noticed, people can be very resistant to change... and I guess bringing Carson back can be seen to be yet *another* change... and just as people had kinda gotten used to and maybe accepted the change that was his loss...
    sigpic

Comment

Well I don't want him back. Sure for Paul it is good news (maybe) but for the show two things would need to be done to make it justifiable in my mind.

One: The way they do this. No lame arcs, no faux Beckett, and definitely no "he never really died" he was convienently beamed out and yet no one noticed that. Oh and no his twin brother crap either.

Two: Beckett lost much of his ethics, he needs to be taken to task on that now, one ep (Sunday) does not in my mind wipe out the unethical treatment of The Wraith, the argument that they are Wraith (we are at war) is not an argument it is an excuse IMHO.

I can't be the only one thinking he is going to come back wrong: FORD style. *groan*

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
        I have to admit I lean towards #2... I mean, I liked Carson and I really didn't want them to get rid of him.. but I cried my eyes out at Sunday and found the depiction of his loss and his friends at his funeral etc to be really powerful... and tbh, bringing him back after that just seems to cheapen that whole thing for me. Why bother making an episode with such a dramatic impact if you're gonna turn around only a season later and say, "Oh hey, none of that matters! Look, he's back!"
        DITTO!! I'm happy the Carson fans who wanted him back got him back. I'm the Carson fan that was upset over his death, but don't want him back cause then it just ruins the whole affect----then I'd be like, why do it in the first place if not for publicity? I really like TPTB but I do see this as turning Carson more into the commodity he is...I know he's a character as all the other characters to sell us SGA and keep people coming, but I lose a sense of connection with the characters this way. ~sigh~
        Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Okay folks. y'all don't want carson back. Cool and fine. That's your business. But others feel differently. Respect thier feelings and leave them alone.

The topic of this thread is that you don't want carson back. Let's keep it on topic
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

It would be nice if everyone could respect everyone's opinion, pro and con, emotional and logical, happy and upset. Alas, it's been popular recently to barge into threads and insult the people posting there.

I agree WC, I don't want to see a story where Carson was magically saved from death, yet his saving somehow goes undetected by everyone until his shocking return. It's the stuff of bad fanfic and I do try to expect better from TPTB, even when they've let me down in the past.

I'm quite sad to see Carson reduced to a ratings stunt.

Comment

I guess it's not really important what I think... Beckett's coming back and we can only hope that it's done in a dignified way.
              However...
              I have to admit I lean towards #2... I mean, I liked Carson and I really didn't want them to get rid of him.. but I cried my eyes out at Sunday and found the depiction of his loss and his friends at his funeral etc to be really powerful... and tbh, bringing him back after that just seems to cheapen that whole thing for me. Why bother making an episode with such a dramatic impact if you're gonna turn around only a season later and say, "Oh hey, none of that matters! Look, he's back!"
              I agree...
              Personally I think it was foolish to have killed him in the first place. Foolish and unnecessary. That said, I loved Sunday and I liked the way that episode was written and constructed. I bawled my eyes out and dang it... those bagpipes... how can we forget those bagpipes... and now, after all the effort that was made to convince us that he's gone, apparently he's not...

I am becoming concerned about how death is dealt with on Stargate... I dunno... it's beginning to feel to me that it was all just a mindless publicity stunt... first of all to kill and then now, to bring a character back to life. It not only cheapens the gravity of death, it cheapens the character... to be used as a publicity cow on the altar of ratings.

I've been very negative lately, which I don't like... but I just don't agree in principle with all these odd decisions coming out of Bridge.
              sigpic
              "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                It would be nice if everyone could respect everyone's opinion, pro and con, emotional and logical, happy and upset. Alas, it's been popular recently to barge into threads and insult the people posting there.

I agree WC, I don't want to see a story where Carson was magically saved from death, yet his saving somehow goes undetected by everyone until his shocking return. It's the stuff of bad fanfic and I do try to expect better from TPTB, even when they've let me down in the past.

I'm quite sad to see Carson reduced to a ratings stunt.
                I concur it smells like a ratings stunt especially with bringing him back for 2 episodes...Anyone see mid season cliffhanger there?

Comment

Originally posted by monkey_man132 View Post
                  I concur it smells like a ratings stunt especially with bringing him back for 2 episodes...Anyone see mid season cliffhanger there?
                  Mallozzi said latter half of season 4 aka post cliffie...though mid-season is good for me as long as they do it right. Means another possible 9-10 more episodes they can have him in!

Comment

So Carson is coming back? As a sop to the Beckett fans? If TPTB must do it, can they please think of a non-cheesy way to do it.
                    Two chances of that: fat and slim, and me trying to cut down on the dairy.
                    sigpic
                    "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

I actually think they bring him back as himself - just before he died.

I don't mean time travel - I mean he'll be brought back in a memory. Maybe Rodney will go to the councillor and talk about his life with Beckett then the episode will be him recounting his times with beckett before he died - memories we didn't see on the show.

That way he's there in flesh and blood - but with no time travel, no Alternate Universes, no cheesy reintroduction, no raising from the dead and no asention. Just a perfectly acceptable and a good way of 'bringing him back' without actually bringing him back as well as keeping his death from losing meaning

That's just my thoughts
                      sigpic
                      Spoiler:
                      President of the 'AFTU Writers Association'
                      President of the 'Count to 15,000 Legends' club
                      Forum Charmer
                      Forum Ambassador
                      Prince of The Hugglings

CURA STORY LINE, ATFU Pg 53 - Pg 804 (751pages)
                      VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT1, AFTU Pg 804 - 912
                      VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT 2, AFTU - Pg 855

Comment

ITA with you Ali!!
                        it saddens me because i liked carson (and was angry when it was confirmed he would be out) but the show has moved on IMO, id accepted he was gone and now hes back. for a couple of episodes. what they gonna do bring him back just to send him back to earth at the end of the day...completely anti-climatic of everything that happened in sunday. if i'd wanted carson back it wouldve been full time as CMO....but he DIED, or his clone did or his replicator self did (whatever lame plot device they will come up with)...but to me CARSON died, regardless of who it was and now im moving on, im liking keller and tbh im over carson.
                        just how it is im afraid..

SIG BY MY SISTER OBSESSED1! WHEN SHEP GOES WHUMP I GO THUNK! My LJ

Comment

but there wasn't. It did nothing to further the story arc for the show. So they offed him just for the sake stirring the pot, which is totally lame.

Oh, and lame the way they did it too.

You can argue whether or not it worked. It sure upset a lot of people. On the other hand, it offended a lot of people as well. Not really a smart thing to do when your franchise is cut in half and you aren't sure it you'll be renewed for season 5. All in all, I'm glad he's going to be back since they didn't actually accomplish anything with his death.

Comment

Originally posted by TJuk View Post
                            Mallozzi said latter half of season 4 aka post cliffie...though mid-season is good for me as long as they do it right. Means another possible 9-10 more episodes they can have him in!
                            ...Its not that exciting its just a doctor.The only thing i liked about Beckett was...wait i didn't like anything about him at all.

Comment

Just a quick reminder. This thread is for the folks that DO NOT think carson's return is a good thing.

the thread entitled 'the doctor is in' is for those that love the idea to express themselves without challenge
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I have to agree with you here.

I didn't for one minute really think Carson would die. When he did I was saddened and shocked. However, I loved Sunday, and thought the way Beckett died was so pointless and unecessary, that it made it more poignant - reminding us all that sometimes when your number's up, well, your number's up!

However, to be honest, I always thought he'd be brought back somehow. After all, how many times have we been told nobody dies in scifi?

So, I wait to see how this is done. If it's a reset, and I don't think it will be, I'll be very anti bringing Carson back.

If it's done well, showing a different Beckett in some way, then that'd be ok for me.

Truth is, I haven't missed Carson in the episodes he's not been in. He was always a recurring character to me. I adored him as a doctor, but found him being included in scenes for no reason not to work very well, and actually thought it damaged the character.

So, I'm not all for bringing him back per se. It really does depend how it's done. If it's cheesy and ridiculous I'd be disappointed. I'm hoping for something clever and unique. I personally don't see how he can be back on the regular cast though.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X