Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree that bringing back a character after they kill that character off weakens the plot in general. (Unless the death was part of a plot that needs it to be corrected. Or a plot where death is the plot or part of the main plotline.)

The way they killed him was just rediculas to begin with. Talk about a cheap shot. It was a ratings gimmick. "To shake things up" by killing of a character. Not to show that death is something we all go through. Or just what death really is permenent

I have nothing against Paul and I love Beckett. I thought it was disgraceful how they killed him and why. For those two reasons, I would rather they didn't use Paul's popularity to play another ratings gimmick. Killing the character was to boost ratings for a few eps. Bring him back would be to boost ratings for a few eps.

That's what I see his return as--a rating game. Nothing to do with moving the plot along. Nothing to do with making the show more real. (If they wanted real--have Beckett become sick with cancer and have him leave the show to go back to Earth for treatment. The doctor would suddenly be the paitient. Show his reaction and the reactions of those around him.

If they really wanted to kill the character--have him be a victem of friendly fire. Imagine what sheppard would go through if one of his own men accidently shot the doctor.

Killing him should be permanent. Having him be sick would be more realistic and would leave the door open for the character to return full time or part time.

I would want Carson to come back if they sent him away from Atlantis or he disappeared. Not after they killed him though. Having a character return from the dead always devalues the charcter. Makes the character less creditable and devalues life in general.

I wouldn't want Carson to turn into the Daniel Jackson of SGA. Die so many times that it becomes a running joke. I fear that is the attitude of the writers of stargate. "Death is a running joke and is never real in TV land. That's why we can kill someone off as much as we want and bring them back."
    Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by SGA4ever View Post
      "Anti-Beckett returning thread

please use this thread to ***** and complain about the return of beckett. he was killed in season 3 Sunday and IMO stay dead to actually sell the effect of his death. bring him back makes his death in season 3 meaningless.

But, his death was already meaningless. Not only did he die in a stand alone episode, but (excluding Dr. Keller's blink and you missed it Carson reference) his passing had no affect on anyone or anything.
      sigpic
      Sig by Luciana

Comment

I think TPTB killed Carson off in such a ridiculous way that I'm scared to think how they'll write him back in...

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
          I think TPTB killed Carson off in such a ridiculous way that I'm scared to think how they'll write him back in...
          Maybe it'll be TumorCarson. Wasn't there an XF ep like that? Someone made out of a tumor?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
            Maybe it'll be TumorCarson. Wasn't there an XF ep like that? Someone made out of a tumor?
            AHAHAHAHAHA I'm really glad Carson's coming back, but you almost made me spit soda all over my computer.
            McKay : (incredibly high pitched) HEEEY! IT'S MISTER MOM! How are the kids??

Zelenka: Do not even SPEAK to me.

Comment

Originally posted by SGA4ever View Post
              "Anti-Beckett returning thread

please use this thread to ***** and complain about the return of beckett. he was killed in season 3 Sunday and IMO stay dead to actually sell the effect of his death. bring him back makes his death in season 3 meaningless.
              Judging from what I have read so far, I guess there are three types of 'anti beckett returning' schools of thought... (feel free to contradict!)

1) the 'anti beckett returning because he was such a crap character, I'm sooo glad to see the back of him' or...

2) the 'anti beckett returning because bringing him back makes his death meaningless' (see above quote )

3) the 'anti-beckett returning if it's done in a crappy, cheesy, badly written and meaningless way - (but if they do it well, then bring him on hooome!).

*hops back to the lion...*

Comment

So, I gues it IS true.

It really is humanly impossible to please everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel Vanilla View Post
                  Judging from what I have read so far, I guess there are three types of 'anti beckett returning' schools of thought... (feel free to contradict!)

1) the 'anti beckett returning because he was such a crap character, I'm sooo glad to see the back of him' or...

2) the 'anti beckett returning because bringing him back makes his death meaningless' (see above quote )

3) the 'anti-beckett returning if it's done in a crappy, cheesy, badly written and meaningless way - (but if they do it well, then bring him on hooome!).

*hops back to the lion...*
                  I'd go with number 3, there should be a poll...

Comment

This is bad for so many reasons. Don't get me wrong, I love Beckett and he should have never been killed in the first place. But this has cheesy written all over, it devalues Sunday. And I have a feeling Ascension is probably going to have something to do with it, UGH!

Comment

Yep, stick me in the #3 bandwagon with a healthy side of #2.

Comment

I'll take 2 and 3 with a side of fries. And can you change the "if it's" to "will be" in 3, please? As far as I'm concerned, there's no "if" where TPTB are concerned.

Comment

I have to admit I lean towards #2... I mean, I liked Carson and I really didn't want them to get rid of him.. but I cried my eyes out at Sunday and found the depiction of his loss and his friends at his funeral etc to be really powerful... and tbh, bringing him back after that just seems to cheapen that whole thing for me. Why bother making an episode with such a dramatic impact if you're gonna turn around only a season later and say, "Oh hey, none of that matters! Look, he's back!"
                          sigpic

Comment

Ever thought that this was maybe planned all along? And that Jow was, basically, trying to make the fans feel like they had won when, really, he always planned to have Carson back?

<snip>
                            Last edited by Skydiver; 11 April 2007, 04:00 PM.

Comment

I think to bring him back completely would be pointless. As some of you have said, would make Sunday meaningless. I just think it'd be cool to have him come back just for one episode, like Fraiser did. That was really neat. Just to get a peak at the old characters again
                              Yay for Canadian Geeks!
                              PM me if you wanna chat!

sigpic

Comment

Hes dead he should stay dead end of story.Just cause fans made a big deal doesn't justify bringing him back for 2 episodes.What does that solve?

Comment

Working...
                                X