Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does everyone think that Carter in charge of the expedition would put an end to the focus on civilian and multi-national matters?

You guys are acting like having a soldier in charge would militarize the city. That just isn't true. If it were just a city, I'd be for a civilian in charge, but since it doubles as a space ship, it makes sense to put a soldier in charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
      Carter's not some gung-ho soldier. I think she'd do as well as Weir.
      k
      i'm with ya but carter and sheppard are both ranked the same and still relatively new to their rankes.
      So i think that Carter should be on Sheppards team instead demote Weir and give Daniel Jackson the job as lead administrator to the expidition because Anubis would have the city and everyone would be in serious trouble if it werent for him,
      sigpic
      i know this is an overstatement and untrue to the show, but i still think its funny kinda

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa
        I'm afraid you might be right, given the fact they can't give a number. They can give a definite number for Amanda and Jewel. Why not Torri, unless they're having a rethink of what they're doing with her.... we can only hope that's the situation. Otherwise, by this point, they should have a definite number of eps locked away for her..

I'm also astounded by the number of letters being published on Scifi Weekly. It makes me even more confused as to who's behind the recent casting decisions. JM alluded to the fact that MGM has been completely supportive of everything they've wanted to do, but also alluded to Scifi being the one that makes demands with storyline and casting... why then would scifi allow those letters to be published on its website? It's all very confusing...

I wish we could get something into the mainstream media -- TV Guide for example.

Awhile ago Scifi Weekly published positive letters about AT's move to Atlantis. I think they publish all types of letters, and some of them are very harsh on the network itself---e.g., why did Scifi move Battlestar Gallactica to Sunday nights. A number of months ago there were quite a few negative letters about the character of Mitchell (and some of Vala as well). And then those were followed by a few positive letters. I think they publish all kinds of letters that convey different opinions for and against TPTB and Scifi's decisions concerning any of shows.

I am in favor of Sam going to Atlantis, but I also don't like that Weir is being reduced. I looked forward to Sam/Weir interactions actually. I wish someone would come out with why Weir is being reduced and by how much. Obviously JM does not want to say. I can't believe, however, that he doesn't already know (at least approximately) how much Weir will be in season 4. All he said was, he isn't talking about it.

Comment

Could Carter replace Weir?

I hope not.

To me it looks like Atlantis is turning into SG-1 with all the Earth ships coming in and cast members coming over. I preferred it back in season one when they had no contact with Earth. Atlantis should be a show all on it’s own.
          BEST OF BOTH WORLDS

Comment

Originally posted by nonniemous View Post
            Which is what everyone kept saying about the rumors that started circulating late last summer concerning Beckett's fate. Look how that worked out...
            You have a point. However, as I said, one rumor being true doesn't mean all of them are. Besides, the Carson rumor seems to have come from all over the place, while this one...well, it's been disproven.

Originally posted by alyssa

I'm also astounded by the number of letters being published on Scifi Weekly. It makes me even more confused as to who's behind the recent casting decisions. JM alluded to the fact that MGM has been completely supportive of everything they've wanted to do, but also alluded to Scifi being the one that makes demands with storyline and casting... why then would scifi allow those letters to be published on its website? It's all very confusing...
            As choc said, this is what SciFi do, they seem to publish any letter they receive to remain "unbiased". For instance, you won't believe the number of letters that appeared after the cancellation of SG1 was announced that bashed SciFi.

Comment

Originally posted by Athosian Death facilitator View Post
              k
              i'm with ya but carter and sheppard are both ranked the same and still relatively new to their rankes.
              So i think that Carter should be on Sheppards team instead demote Weir and give Daniel Jackson the job as lead administrator to the expidition because Anubis would have the city and everyone would be in serious trouble if it werent for him
              Colonel Caldwell almost got control of Atlantis from Dr. Weir at the start of Season 2. If Carter is promoted to Colonel, then it would be realistic (in the context of the show) for Carter to lead Atlantis.

Comment

I don't put much trust in MGM's place in this franchise anymore. I suspect they're just in it for the quick, short term bucks. Creativity-wise, they'd be better off imitating Paramount's very smart management when there were three Star Trek series running all in the same timeline - they kept them out of each others way, in every way. They and TPTB seem to have missed that very valuable scifi/episodic TV lesson.

The Sci Fi Channel was responsible for the Janet Fraiser/Heroes fiasco that sent SG-1 into the toilet. They may still be in that mindset. Does anyone here think they'd be that stupid again?

Actually, I think they may be thrilled over this new SGA mess-in-the-making. It'll give them an excuse to dump the show as the writing and the ratings crash.

Comment

Originally posted by Mar9645 View Post
                  I don't put much trust in MGM's place in this franchise anymore. I suspect they're just in it for the quick, short term bucks. Creativity-wise, they'd be better off imitating Paramount's very smart management when there were three Star Trek series running all in the same timeline - they kept them out of each others way, in every way. They and TPTB seem to have missed that very valuable scifi/episodic TV lesson.
                  You do realise that Star Trek has as many crossovers as Stargate, right? They even brought over Worf from TNG to DS9 much like Carter is being brought over from SG-1 to SG:A.

The Sci Fi Channel was responsible for the Janet Fraiser/Heroes fiasco that sent SG-1 into the toilet.
                  That didn't send SG-1 into the toilet.

They may still be in that mindset. Does anyone here think they'd be that stupid again?
                  Dr. Beckett ring a bell?

Actually, I think they may be thrilled over this new SGA mess-in-the-making. It'll give them an excuse to dump the show as the writing and the ratings crash.
                  The cast changes are being done to draw attention to the show, and guess whut, it's working.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                    This thread contains spoilers for the end of 3-20 "First Strike."

I haven't seen "First Strike," but I am aware of how the episode ended in relation to the city and Dr. Weir, so don't spoil the rest of the episode for me.

We know Tapping is signed on to Season 4 for a total of 14 episodes, which is almost equal to being there as a full time regular. We also know that Torri Higginson has been reduced from a series regular to a recurring guest star, but the number of episodes is unkown.

I'm hoping Weir will remain in charge of Atlantis, and that the actress's demotion to recurring guest star simply means Weir won't be in ever single episode. I'd be cool with this so long as it's something like 10-15 episodes.

However, I feel that there is a very strong chance that Weir will either step down, be severely injured and thus incapable of leading Atlantis, or be killed off. This would allow Sheppard to take over the Atlantis Expedition or it could allow Carter to take over the expedition. Think about it... Atlantis, the technological marvel, lead by Carter. It just makes sense. Carter's brains would be applied to the city while McKay's brains are applied in the field. Why else would Carter spend so much time in Atlantis? It just makes sense.

If this is the case, do you think this'll be good or bad for the show? If you don't think Carter will replace Weir, tell us why!
                    I think it'll hurt the show, IMHO. And it'd be bad if she replaced Weir. Weir's a pretty good character. And, when you think about the fact that AT has had 10 YEARS of the Stargate Franchise screentime (meaning, on both shows), it comes to my mind, Does she really need to be on SGA? I already know how she's going to be put in the situation to come to Atlantis- I think: Atlantis's power is about to run out. The Odyssey has a ZPM.......

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

Keeping my optimist hat on...

Perhaps Carter will take over (or even joint run it with Weir) for this season and one of the ongoing stories throughout will be a greater tension between the military and civilian branches of the expedition and a confusion over what it will really be.

By the end of the season (with Amanda only contractually obliged for a year) events will unfold and it will mean the city returns to a civilian project with military backup, putting Weir back in charge.
                      sigpic
                      by Kaaatie

Comment

Originally posted by Wormhole View Post
                        Could Carter replace Weir?

I hope not.

To me it looks like Atlantis is turning into SG-1 with all the Earth ships coming in and cast members coming over. I preferred it back in season one when they had no contact with Earth. Atlantis should be a show all on it’s own.
                        But, having the ships has made the show, IMO, more interesting. I'm fine with all the ships, but I'm not fine with more than a few character cross-overs, and I'm especially not fine with literally ALL the AT cross-overs. I'd much rather see Daniel come to Atlantis, if anyone, since he has a specialty no one in SGA seems to have, and he won't overshadow or get in the way of another character's role. So, if we had a vote, that'd be mine.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron Mitchel View Post
                          I'd much rather see Daniel come to Atlantis, if anyone, since he has a specialty no one in SGA seems to have, and he won't overshadow or get in the way of another character's role. So, if we had a vote, that'd be mine.
                          I don't know...SG-1's been the "Daniel and Vala Show" since the beginning of Season 9, and I really don't want that to bleed over to Atlantis and become the "Daniel and Daniel Show." In addition, I think Carter's presence will break up the "Sheppard and Rodney Show" that SGA has become over the years.
                          Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler View Post
                            I don't know...SG-1's been the "Daniel and Vala Show" since the beginning of Season 9, and I really don't want that to bleed over to Atlantis and become the "Daniel and Daniel Show." In addition, I think Carter's presence will break up the "Sheppard and Rodney Show" that SGA has become over the years.
                            I'm not saying that Daniel should become the spotlight, which is what Carter will most likely become. I'm jsut saying that if anyone should go to Atlantis, it should be Daniel. And, if it were my choice, I'd have it that no SG-1 character crossed-over to SGA for 14 out of 20 episodes.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

1. Other than Worf, name the others.

2. That's your opinion. And I have mine.

3. Killing Beckett was a decision made by TPTB, not Sci Fi.

4. So far, the cast changes, Beckett's death and Weir being reduced to recurring, Carter invading the Pegasus Galaxy and the cutsey little blond Dr. Keller's sudden appearance, have created a great deal of controversy. When the full reality of all these changes comes out in Season 4, along with the bad writing and storytelling, everyone responsible for all these great ideas will wish they had a time machine to go back to last year.

Back on topic - Carter couldn't replace Weir in a trillion light years!

Comment

The answer to this threads question is that Carter couldn't replace Weir in a billion light years!
                                Back on topic - Carter couldn't replace Weir in a trillion light years!
                                A light-year is actually a distance calculation rather than a time-span.
                                Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Working...
                                X