Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussing the upcoming changes (S3 and S4 Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change happens...but they don't normally come like buses!

Weir stepping back - to be honest I`m not terribly bothered about this one. I`ve never been a big fan of Weir and I won't really miss her presence. To me screen time used on Weir is time that could be better spent on the more interesting characters.

Beckett leaving ('Sunday' spoilers) -
    Spoiler:
    I`ll admit that I teared up when he died. Especially as I had heard that he was stepping back to rarely recurring status next year. I wasn't expecting him to die but when he was carrying that tumor I had a feeling that was going to be it for the good doctor. I am sorry to see him go as he was my favourite character next to Rodney but I am glad he died the hero and it was not a meaningless death.

Carter coming in - Not sure about this one. I like Sam and the interplay between her and McKay, but I fear that putting her and McKay together too much might negate the character development that has gone on with McKay this year and put him back to a 'Redemption' state of development, which would be a damn shame as I love how his character has subtly evolved over the last 3 years.

New doctor in the house - Well we knew they would have to replace Carson with someone. I just hope that Keller turns out to be as interesting of a character as Carson was. Plus Jewel Staite is damn cute

Colonel Ellis - This is one that the writers really didn`t have much of a choice about. With Mitch Pileggi off on his new show (which I hear has been axed already) they simply had to find someone to take his place and I am glad they chose to introduce a new ship with a new colonel rather than replacing Caldwell on the Daedalus. I've never seen the actor in anything but I have heard some good things so we will just have to wait and see how this pans out.
    And if Daybreak has already been axed then there is always the chance of ditching Ellis and bringing back the Daedalus as the main Pegasus ship if Ellis and the Apollo don't work out. But I will give him a chance.

Background changes - I don't know what episodes Joe and Paul have written so I can't really comment on their abilities but I am willing to give them the chance to show that they can run Atlantis. I make it a policy never to write someone off without giving them the chance to prove themselves.

So there are lots of changes next season. Some I like, some I`m not so sure about. But I will give the show a chance to settle into these changes before I start *****ing about it not being the show I have grown to love as much as its predecessor.
    And if the changes do suck, there's always the SG-1 movies

Comment

Well apparently season 4 is gonna have a diffeent twist to the story so and go in a different direction so therefore I'm looking forward to it, but am nottoo sure about higginson's reduced role, she's kinda hot!!
      I HATE SY-FY

Comment

Completely agree, season 3 started out so great, and now it's like SGA is being killed and replaced with another show with the same name, I don't have to give anything a chance, I choose not to watch, period.

Comment

Nope, I disagree, I have high hopes for season 4.

Losing Beckett is a shame but the episode where we lost him is without doubt one of the best episodes ever made and as good a character as he was, he was never really central to the team, so I don't think it's going to be an enourmous loss.

I'm also happy about the reduced role of Weir and the introduction of Carter. Weir is my least favourite character. She just doesn't do anything and Torri Higginson is exactly an incredible actress, so I glad that she'll still be around since she's an origional and important member but bringing in Carter should open up some very interesting storylines. And who doesn't love the Mckay/Carter interaction?

I personally love the Asuran's as villan's and I can't wait to see how this season ends and how that sets up what will take place in Season 4. Joe Flannigan, who is not afraid to criticize the show, and I tend to agree with his criticisims and his praise, is extremely positive about where season 4 is going so that fills me with confidence.

The only thing that worries me is Joe and Paul running the show. When Brad left SG-1 after Season 6 the show jumped the shark (only to jump back in Season 9) and I fear the same might happpen again, but honestly the show is just so strong at the moment that I can't see them destroying it.
          'Isn't it enough to see that the garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the end of it too?' - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Descent View Post
            Atlantis is starting to sink just as it was hitting its stride? All these Season 4 announcements: Amanda joining the cast, Torri's reduced role, Paul getting written out and Paul and Joe becoming the showrunners...

It seems everythings going into a downward spiral next year and it happens just as I was really starting to love this show.

Anyone agree? Or disagree?
            I am... worried. I'm hoping the show itself will still rock despite changes--that I do not necessarily agree with --happening behind the scenes. Still, I think they are preparing to pull the show before it even hits five seasons, and that is just not cool.

I'm trying to be optimistic, but the pesimisst in me--who is also the bad speller, blame it on her--is having a lot to say.
            thankee toasteronfire

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
              I change I could have handled, but let me see

Bye bye Beckett
              Hello Keller
              Hello Ellis
              Hello Carter
              Bye bye Weir

Bye bye Wraith
              Hello Repli...Asurans

Coupled with the behind the scenes producers and writers moving around like musical chairs...

I *hope* s4 is good...but I don't think it'll be a patch on s3.

S3 has been such a BIG improvement, but with yet more cast changes (which IMO were the reason for a weak 2nd season)...

Sorry...too much, too soon.
              Exactly. If I had it my way, nothing would've changed. This years been the best so far.

I think SG-1's demise is a big (or I should say the main) reason for a lot of these changes:

Paul and Torri are kicked out to make way for Amanda because of her ongoing contract.

Paul and Joe are the showrunners because Rob and Brad are working on the movies now.

Its a real shame that Atlantis is undergoing changes that it doesn't need now. It may be forever known as this constantly changing show and thus might end up losing its fan base along the way...
              sigpic
              "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
              DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

I actually have high hopes for season 4. I'm not all that enthused about AT coming over, but I'm willing to give it a chance. And as for the other cast changes, I'm actually impressed that regardless of what the reasons behind them are, they are willing to try new things and go in new directions. Carson fans may miss their favourite character, but creatively I see the willingness to change things up as more of a potential positive than negative.

Note: Weir "leaving" is rumour and/or myth at this point. Zalenka has been recurring for the entire series and has been in half the episodes of the series.
                Visit these links:
                Doctors without Borders --- Amnesty International --- ICotRC --- UNICEF --- Oxfam
                ______________________________________________________________________________

In the democracy of the dead all men at last are equal.
                There is neither rank nor station nor prerogative in the republic of the grave.
                ~John James Ingalls

Geek Forever!!!!!!!

Comment

Atlantis is starting to sink just as it was hitting its stride? All these Season 4 announcements: Amanda joining the cast, Torri's reduced role, Paul getting written out and Paul and Joe becoming the showrunners...

It seems everythings going into a downward spiral next year and it happens just as I was really starting to love this show.

god will smite you.

SG1 lasted 10 years. Carter is the 2nd best pick to transfer over to atlantis..

Weirs character wasnt that great, kinda hott, but not great.. I'd prefer teyla go than Weir, Teyla has no place there, no reason. Her people are safe, she's not needed, she's just that guy that stands in the outfield and once in a blue moon when the ball comes his way, misses. But Atlantis need military not civilian leadership.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

SGA sank a year ago...this is now thier "flagship" series till it's canned for number 3 (if it happens). It won't make ten years--there is no reason to float it that far. it would need 11 to break the record.

The show need retooling--some cast have left, hopefully for a better future and now it's time for SG-1's "ugly stepchild" as one person claimed it to be treated as, to sink or swim.
                    Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

It's hard to tell, really. I do think that season 3 started back on track after a disappointing season 2 and I had the feeling that the show was getting back on track. Hearing the news about losing Carson was disheartening, but I was still very confident about season 4. Now all the news about how Elizabeth is going to be recurring, how Carter will be over for 14, not 4 episodes, and this talk of a soft reset button has me more concerned about next season. Too many changes all at once may end up being a bad thing for the show. Add in a lack of a SG1 lead-in and things decline from there.

Who knows, maybe all these casting changes will bring new life into Atlantis. Of course, a large casting change happened back in s9 of SG-1 and the results were mixed at best. As I tend to judge TPTB based on their track record, this makes me somewhat nervous.

I'll certainly stick around to watch the next season, but I now have more apprehension about the whole thing.

Comment

I can agree on one point only. Season 4 will be different. I have no idea how the changes will translate on screen. I for one am still verey optimisitc about season 4 and find that ite will be a great season from what I have read. I have no problem with JS coming on or AT and am not upset with Torri's reduced role as I have yet to be told just how reduced it will be. i thought I'd hate Sunday but love it so I will just say that so far season 4 sounds great and I will judge for myself when it airs.
                        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I am not ready to give up on Atlantis. I am looking forward to season 4, though I will admit with more of a cautious optimism these days.

No Beckett? I think the biggest change that is hard for me to accept is the loss of Beckett.
                          His character had really good development this season. The writers did such a great job in making him so lovable and the heart of Atlantis it does seem cruel and meaningless to lose him at this point. However other shows have loss characters that I really loved and I, as well as the show have survived.

Carter in Atlantis? By all accounts AT is a wonderful person and I do love the character of Sam Carter. But at the moment I feel 14 episodes is too much. I don’t see her as a part of the Atlantis team and worry that too much Carter in 14 episodes will take too much screen time away from the current Atlantis cast. I also worry about team dynamics, her position at Atlantis, how she will interact with McKay etc. Now I could be very wrong (I hope I am) and the addition of Carter will work well – but I am far from convinced of this. In the end, I think a lot of pressure is on the writers and by default AT to make Carter fit in and work as part of Atlantis.

About Jewel Strait joining the cast, on this particular change I am neutral.
                          I don’t know anything about Ms Strait as an actress accept for her appearance in Season 2 Atlantis – never saw Firefly. Therefore I feel I cannot make any judgment about her as an actress. Also I cannot make any judgments about her character on Atlantis because other than being a doctor I know nothing about the character she is to play. So this one is a wait and see. However I do think a totally new character opens up opportunities for new stories and because she is “new” and “different” it is an opportunity to see new aspects and even character growth of the established characters as they play off of her character.

Less Weir? This change I am mostly neutral about. I do not want to lose Weir in Atlantis. I like the character and I think Weir does have an important role in Atlantis. I say I am neutral because I don’t know what the reoccurring role will mean. If we see Carter in 14 episodes and Weir in only 6 – then I think that is a big mistake and I will be unhappy. Other reoccurring characters in SG have had fairly good screen and some eps that featured them more heavily so I am hoping for the same for Weir. But I do worry because other reoccurring roles have not seen much screen time. For the moment I am not going to jump to conclusions and will wait and see.

Even with the changes I think Atlantis has a lot of life in it and a lot of interesting stories to tell. The changes will have an impact on the show. How good or bad they will be is yet to be seen. I for one am looking forward to Season 4 to see how it all plays out.

Comment

Is Beckett for good out? That last montage from Sunday seemed to indicate that he's... well, either he's ascended or Rodney's gone crazy with grief. o_O

Comment

I reserve my opinion about season 3 until I have seen the Entire season.

Comment

I am quite unhappy with the cast changes and can't help but wonder if Sci-Fi executives were behind them in order to cut the cost of the show (as they were with Teryl Rothery's role being cut from SG-1 at the end of season seven). They are so worried about losing money, but they are chasing away their support base and ratings are likely suffer further than they already have due to the bad decision to not air the rest of the current seasons of SG-1 and SGA until April. This will of course cause them to try to cut more of the established cast in order to save money. Pardon the crudity, but I wish the persons responsible for this mess would fix their little cranial/rectal inversion problem and stop trying to fix something that isn't broken.

Comment

Working...
                                X