Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheppard, Atlanits is military in all but name and Weir is a joke as leader she couldn't lead her dog on a leash. *that was civil* Well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ehecatl View Post
      I think that they both should have leadership positions. Weir knows Atlantis better and about the Ancients. Carter is better with military related issues and could also help do wonders in the science department (she might have to carry a lemon around to keep Rodney calm).
      The only problem with that is she would be stepping on Sheppard and McKay's toes...

Lovebar made by natz099
      My LJ * Forgotten-Secrets

Comment

Originally posted by caty View Post
        Oh, definetely Weir!!

This expedition was supposed to be a scientific expedition from the start. Hence the civilian leader...
        That's one of the things that made it different from SG-1... If we now not only get a major SG-1 character crossing over, but give her the responsibility and reduce Weir
        Spoiler:
        to recurring
        , we can rename the show to Stargate Sg-1 in Atlantis...

To me, it feels like they are trying to merge the two shows now that one is canceled. They were supposed to be two seperate shows and I want it to stay that way!

EDIT: I just realized that there is a thread already to discuss that..
        Agree

Comment

Colonel Caldwell... no question about it! Forget about having his own ship... he needs his own city

Ace
          "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Originally posted by SapphireJewelledQueen View Post
            The only problem with that is she would be stepping on Sheppard and McKay's toes...
            *snort* Which Elizabeth does all the time, but with such finesse!

I'm not a lemming, but I vote Elizabeth all the way because of her established relationships with the characters on the show and the awesome way she stands up to the IOA. I don't want anyone on Atlantis kowtowing to them, ever.

Btw, Woolsey does like her now. Remember Misbegotten and Return Part II?

Also, I think Elizabeth does show a lot of authority: Trinity, The Game, Common Ground, Critical Mass, etc. Just because she debates with herself and her staff does not make her weak. I don't think her leadership style would be improved by copying DSD's gruff manner - it's not suited to her. (I also don't think only a man could lead Atlantis properly.) Pegasus is a place with lots of ethical and cultural dilemmas - it needs someone who's willing to see both sides.

And by "both sides", I don't mean "military and science".

Comment

Oh, I didn't mean she should *copy* DSD's manner. It's just that I feel DSD somehow has more presence.

I know a lot of people feel Weir does have plenty of leadership presence, it's just that she's never quite been totally convincing to me. And I realize that's a totally subjective feeling. So, I'd have been happy for Atlantis to continue as is. But since this poll/thread is asking who I think should lead Atlantis, well, my personal opinion, if I had the choice, would be -- well, if you want a woman, somebody like Kathleen from the Stargate Movie.
              Keep Carson. Keep Elizabeth.
              Keep Atlantis.

Lemming #14
              -Clueless Lemming Cretin-

Image by Cailliath

Comment

Originally posted by Night Spring View Post
                Oh, I didn't mean she should *copy* DSD's manner. It's just that I feel DSD somehow has more presence.
                You're right, you didn't say that. I'm sorry for my misinterpretation.

I think many people naturally respond to certain leadership styles that are very male in presentation. This is what makes it so hard for women to be leaders, both irl and on TV. Do they copy or do they branch out, and if they do either, can they earn the knee-jerk respect of the people they lead? ...Since they can't waltz on and just take it by pressing some buttons set up in our psyches.

Imo, Elizabeth has done this. You are certainly entitled to hold the opposite view - variety is the spice and all that.

Originally posted by Night Spring View Post
                I know a lot of people feel Weir does have plenty of leadership presence, it's just that she's never quite been totally convincing to me. And I realize that's a totally subjective feeling. So, I'd have been happy for Atlantis to continue as is. But since this poll/thread is asking who I think should lead Atlantis, well, my personal opinion, if I had the choice, would be -- well, if you want a woman, somebody like Kathleen from the Stargate Movie.
                Heh. I want a woman if I can get one, just because it's unusual. But I'm not going to insist on it, any more than I think anyone should insist on a man, because that's sexist. And because if I held the opposite view and expressed it, I'd be run off this board on a rail, so it's not fair, either.

Sounds to me, though, like age is a bigger factor with you than gender. Would Weir be more convincing if she was clearly older than the rest of the cast?

Comment

Well I just think Weir is wrong for the role of leader if she had of been brought in solely as the resident diplomat I may not have missed Jessica in the role so much but pretending IMHO that this Weir can actually lead a whole City and fight a War is now just too ridiculous for words; she has neither the experience or the skills. What is the body count now? How many more people must die before she is removed? She even allowed a fraking Nuke to be used, yeah she is a great example of Leadership. She is a bloody disgrace.

Comment

I definatly say Weir as she has been the leader for the last 3 years. Plus she has the experience even though the writers has not used that to the full potential that it deserves. Plus I like the ideal of a civillian female leader gives it a good contrast to the cliche male millitary leader so to speak.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the old briar pipe View Post
                      Sounds to me, though, like age is a bigger factor with you than gender. Would Weir be more convincing if she was clearly older than the rest of the cast?
                      Yes, in fact, I've been pondering that question myself. And I do think age is a factor, regardless of gender. Like, for example, let's say... Atlantis is cut off from earth, Weir is incapacitated for some reason, so John or Rodney takes on the leadership of the entire expedition. Could either really command the other? I mean, right now, Rodney does defer to John when they are in the field, but on Atlantis, he and John are clearly equals. So... all the different but related threads are starting to blur in my mind, and I forget which thread I said this in, but when I try to envision either John or Rodney taking command of Atlantis, I end up thinking that even if one of them is nominally the "commander," the other will have such influence that they'll basically end up co-commanding the base. While, in the same situation, if they had, say Caldwell, stranded with them, I can see him being able to command both John and Rodney, by virtue of his having more age and experience.

Which is not to say, of course, that anyone older is automatically fit to command, but I do think you are right that, had Weir been played by an older actress, it might have helped make her more convincing to me.
                      Keep Carson. Keep Elizabeth.
                      Keep Atlantis.

Lemming #14
                      -Clueless Lemming Cretin-

Image by Cailliath

Comment

I voted Elizabeth and not because I don't like Sam. I can live with Sam on Atlantis. This expedition, however, was always meant to have a civilian leader and a military leader. Sam can take over the military aspect or assist the scientists while Elizabeth does what she has always done. Certain people *writers* just need to utilize her skills better.
                        sigpic
                        sig by SueKay

My Team:

Comment

Originally posted by MasterPower View Post
                          Spoiler:
                          Which means Caldwell will be killed off in the Season 3 final.
                          No it doesn't, the writers have already said they want to bring Caldwell back next season at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa
                            And the Jessica argument comes up again. This IMO is the reason Torri got so much crap at GW in the first place, some of which may have influenced TPTB to do what they're doing now.

The decision to replace Jessica wasn't Torri's. It was a decision made by TPTB. Obviously someone had an issue with Jessica in the role, or Jessica decided she didn't want it. Either way, Torri got the part. She's been given SO much crap about that from fans of Jessica Steen it's disgusting. Jessica played the part for two episodes, am I right? Torri's played the part for three seasons.

As for "How many people must die before she's removed" -- ask the writers that. They're the ones who are responsible for the actions of the characters. If anyone's at fault for the actions of Weir, it's them. Not Torri. The scripts are words on a page. She brings them to life, but she's only allowed to do so much with them.

Would you still feel the same if it was Jessica playing the role and allowing a 'fraking nuke' to be used? You'd probably be all for it.
                            Well I too liked Jessica but got used to Torri real quick and have no real problems with her. I think Weir should remain in charge and have sam do something else. I don't think they will give Sam command.
                            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Sheppard and McKay co-commanding. I would be entertained by that.

Comment

Originally posted by smushybird View Post
                                Sheppard and McKay co-commanding. I would be entertained by that.
                                Yeah but then their would be next to no off-world missions. As it would be stupid for them to keep going on the missions with the team
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X