Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Season 4 & Dr. Weir Discussion Thread ( Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
    I doubt her not having a bigger role is because she's been knocked up. That didn't really stop Tapping because she just missed what, the first 6 or so episodes of season 9?

So if Tori was pregnant, they could easily cover the whole thing up for the biggest part by having her behind consoles and sitting down.
    Uh that's in regards to AT, there are many actresses who become pregnant and request some time off from working on an show full time. It's a regular thing to happen.

Also if she's going to be far along during the filming of the newer season, things happen and you may want to take time off. I think your statement is a bit generalized and simplistic, when again we're not privy to any information.

I personally think, this is fandom run amok. Although, I could be proved wrong. Time will tell.
    Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
      Uh that's in regards to AT, there are many actresses who become pregnant and request some time off from working on an show full time. It's a regular thing to happen.

Also if she's going to be far along during the filming of the newer season, things happen and you may want to take time off. I think your statement is a bit generalized and simplistic, when again we're not privy to any information.

I personally think, this is fandom run amok. Although, I could be proved wrong. Time will tell.
      I don't really think it's that's simplistic. Tapping not only had the 6 SG1 episodes off, but she also had the several month period between the end of season 8 and the start of season 9. I think that if Tori had become pregnant, then she as well would have that between season break plus additional episodes away from the show.

However that being said, I do believe that Tapping was visibly more pregnant near the end of season 8 (to the point where they had her in baggy clothes to help make it less noticable) while Tori looked as good as ever during the end of S3. So it is possible that during the break, she could start showing which in turn could lead to her needing time off during the season.

But as I said, that didn't really stop Tapping because she became pregnant during season 8 and still went on. I would agree that I am generalising it because Tapping and Tori are two different people and just because one can do something one way doesn't mean the other can.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Copernicus View Post
        The character of Weir is supposed to have a reduced role in season four of Atlantis, which has caused quite the commotion, but why this is happening was never really addressed.

Here's my question to everyone:

Could Ms. Higginson be pregnant?
        Doubt it because if they still had big plans for her, then she'd still be on the main cast credits for S4. It's more likely to do with the fact that most of the action takes place off-world. Therefore they decided that with the inclusion of Carter also that it's best to focus more of the season on the main team.

Weir isn't a warrior, Hammond didn't feature heavily in a lot of SG-1 eps throughout the season. A lot were just fleeting appearances! So it's possible she'll be in a lot of eps like that of Hammon or Fraiser from SG-1. She could even get 10/15 or whatever eps. Zelenka is a recurring character but is always in almost every ep.

They probably decided that because AT was available that it was better to bring her over onto the main cast. Most likely in the hope of keeping some of the old SG-1 audience interested in Atlantis.

JM said a few weeks ago when asked in his blog that they didn't have a set amount of eps for her & she'd be part of a major arc in S4.Therefore she'll be there at least into the 2nd part of the new season. I don't see her going anywhere. Just they're cutting her screen time back & giving it to Carter.

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella View Post

Yeah like Lexa. Though she wasnt a regular she chose to take most of the year off. I doubt it's true, either it's likely she was fed up for some reasin and wants time to cool down or TPTB are fed up with her for some reason. Likely we will never know why her role is reduced or if it's only for a season (that we will know shortly).
          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I want to be clear that I'm not suggesting that Ms. Higginson is pregnant. I am merely wondering whether or not you guys would feel it adequately explained the situation surrounding the character right now.

On the one hand, you have tight-lipped powers that be, which is the norm. The really surprising thing, to me, is that we have not seen a comment one or another from Ms. Higginson. In fact, Ms. Higginson has not, as far as I can tell, even been seen or associated with the program in the last few months. With Mr. McGillion's character was killed off, there were periodic comments made by him in regards to it. Ms. Higginson, as far as I can tell, and I will be the first to admit my ability to discern these things is limited, has dropped off the map.

My question, at the end of the day, is as follows: would this hypothesis, that she is pregnant, adequately explain the recent happenings, both on the record and off the record?

Comment

I want to be clear that I'm not suggesting that Ms. Higginson is pregnant. I am merely wondering whether or not you guys would feel it adequately explained the situation surrounding the character right now.

On the one hand, you have tight-lipped powers that be, which is the norm. The really surprising thing, to me, is that we have not seen a comment one or another from Ms. Higginson. In fact, Ms. Higginson has not, as far as I can tell, even been seen or associated with the program in the last few months. With Mr. McGillion's character was killed off, there were periodic comments made by him in regards to it. Ms. Higginson, as far as I can tell, and I will be the first to admit my ability to discern these things is limited, has dropped off the map.

My question, at the end of the day, is as follows: would this hypothesis, that she is pregnant, adequately explain the recent happenings, both on the record and off the record?
              Torri could merely be waiting for the right time to tell her fan base what is going on. Whether the reason is personal or whether she was forced to become recurring is really information that is only known by TPTB, Torri herself, and maybe the rest of the cast. IF she does turn out to be pregnant, I can understand her silence as of late. While fans are extremely important, they wouldn't be first on MY list of people to tell! She is supposedly going to be at the con this coming weekend, so maybe we'll find something out then!

Comment

Here's how I feel about the silence from the cast and the fan-commotion. You're right - if she's preggers, I can see why she may not be telling anyone just yet. Depends on how far along she is. But this sounds like total speculation, and probably out of ALL the other possibilities, it will likely be another.

That's what bothers me. It's a lot more likely to simply be something stupid. I don't go along with this "don't freak out, it will turn out to be nothing in the long run" stuff, because it never pans out for me. RDA leaving SG1 - people said relax it's a rumor, BS. DJ dying, people said relax it won't be as bad as it seems - BS. Carson's death, I just read a post by Mallozzi written prior where he said fans should just wait until afterward to have heartattacks because it won't be as bad as they think - UTTER BS! Starbuck's death on BSG, RDM was like "It's not what you think, it's not as simple as that..." Trip Tucker's death and the disgraceful finale of ST: Enterprise, Jadzia Dax's death on DS9, the list goes on and on! They tell us not to worry just to get us to STFU but then it still turns out as bad as it seems 90% of the time.

So that's my .02 on this "relax it won't be as bad" philosophy. It usually is. And it's usually for a stupid reason, like Paul McGillion's quoted reason for removing him, by the producers of, "Stargate SG1 isn't going to be renewed and we're afraid Atlantis won't be either, so we're shaking things up a little, and the short of it is, we're killing off Becket."

That was the reason for that: to mix things up to stave off cancellation. Yeah. Fantastic idea, piss off the fanbase.

I have ZERO faith that IF Torri Higginson is leaving the show (being ASKED to leave the show) even if it's over time, that it will be for a good reason. I seriously doubt it. Personal reasons are "good reasons" to me, if it's her choice. But if it's her choice because they wanted her to do something stupid, that still qualifies as their fault.

Anyway, if you learn more after this Con she's going to, please let us know. I'll be mining for scuttlebut after that con

Comment

I absolutely agree it's just speculation. I've made a point to say that at least once, possibly twice.

Comment

I absolutely agree it's just speculation. I've made a point to say that at least once, possibly twice.
                    Yes we know Copernicus. The thing is, this exact question is actually running around fandom like it's near truth. But I do understand your point and why you brought it up. Further more, if it's true or any other personal issue, then it's a plausible reason for the recurring status.

If the reason why TH is recurring in S4 is because of "personal concerns" then yes it's likely that she could be made to recurring, if the producers are willing. Not only that, it would not be their [the producers] call to disclose those concerns to the public. Further more, the ball would be in TH's park as to whether or not disclose that information.

There seems to be many fans who seem to think they are privy to the private lives of the actors and or have a special link with said actress. <---Which seems to be the case and point for a a few fans here. If you are not the immediate family, close friend or associate, or possibly co-worker---you know nothing!!! The only information is what you're being fed. I think people need to realize this.

Until we've heard from TH herself, no one knows anything. And it's established that JM is keeping mum about this as he should.
                    Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Here's some facts (and spoilers for "Lifeline") for you all:

Link!

It's a "shot" (probably in between takes) from "Lifeline" showing that special someone everyone is talking about.

Comment

Why is Higginson's role being reduced? Is it because the actress wants to do less episodes, or are the producers phasing her out?

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                          Here's some facts (and spoilers for "Lifeline") for you all:

Link!

It's a "shot" (probably in between takes) from "Lifeline" showing that special someone everyone is talking about.

w00t! Thanks PG15 that made my day!! By the way hi, recognize you from Tbbs and possibly House of Tucker! I was known as just elessar or john o. over there.

Comment

Oh yeah! I know you! I think I have an account at HoT but don't post there.

Small world.

Comment

So Weir will be healthy. I hope she will stay in Atlantis at the leader or at least a member of the expedition and they won't send him back to Earth.
                              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                                So Weir will be healthy. I hope she will stay in Atlantis at the leader or at least a member of the expedition and they won't send him back to Earth.
                                him? you mean her?

Spoiler:
                                Now that we see her up and around...

I think the most likely source of this "recurring character" thing is probably just going to be her choice (Weir's - not Torri's). Weir was talking in First Strike about stepping down because of how they were basically just ignoring her (the IOA) for big-pants decisions. It'd be a real bummer if that's the deal, she resigns. I couldn't picture her downgrading herself to a linguist/diplomat/translator from actual base commander (like going from leader to team member). That'd be cool, because it'd change the dynamic between her and the SG team personnel (cough::shep::cough ) but I couldn't see it happening. I can hope though

Comment

Working...
                                X