Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Season 4 & Dr. Weir Discussion Thread ( Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, I'll finally pick the glove

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
    Crossposted again, maybe here it will get some discussion? lol

I'm not surprised by the Weir thing or the Carson thing. Simple fact is that there's not much room for the 'Base CO' and 'Medical Doctor' roles in the Stargate format. Even though Hammond/Don S. Davis was a principal character/actor for the 7 years he was on, he never really did anything per episode. His role was to brief SG1/The Audience about what the episode was about and give them the all clear. Janet had always been a recurring character too.
    True, base commander had never been the centre of hte plot - but all three SGC commanders had been regulars on the show, DSD, RD and now Beau Bridges, none of them have ever been reduced to recurring.
    Also, Weir has had quite a larger part than either DSD or BB, in all three seasobn. True, there are enough episodes where she just sits there, says a coulpe of commands, shows concern for the team and that's it - but TBH, Teyla and Ronon aren't in a much better position - actually, come season 3, they both had quite less to do than Weir had. Her role isn't small because she's base commander - it has the potential - and at times actualy is - much bigger and more iportant than that. She actually go a lot more character development in these three years, I feel, than Hammond in 7.

I think that's evident in how little Weir gets to do in the show. It always feels forced to me when they show her offworld because the simple fact is that it's not her job. Her job is to run Atlantis, which means she needs to be at Atlantis, not running around fighting monsters in time dilation fields. But they seem reluctant to base too many episodes in Atlantis itself, which means that for alot of episodes Weir has basically nothing to do other than say 'Good luck John'. It's a pity because I like Weir/Torri too, but I think it's the simple reality of how the show works.
    Again, I disagree. She's had a major role in every episode that took place on Atlatis, not off world - and htere have been quite a number of thsoe lately. She feels forced into the story when she's got a 2 minute scene in order to show her in the episode, but the number of these episodes has ben decreasing, not increasing.

I actually wonder if this is even going to mean 'less' Weir anyway... Think about it - when the team goes off-world for a mission there's barely any Weir in the episode anyway. It's only when they do the few Atlantis based episodes in the season that Weir has something prominent to do. So she will become a recurring character and the episodes that she had barely anything to do she wont be in, but she will continue to be in the episodes that she usually has a big role to play... Overall loss negligible?
    I wish I could believe that - but from BW's words, it sounds to me as if she's going to be there til Carter comes, and then she's not going to be there anymore. "She'll come back for a while" - that sounds - again, to me - as if the unspoken continuation is "and then she will be gone".
    Last edited by Pitry; 15 January 2007, 08:46 AM.
    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
    Yes, I am!
    sigpic
    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
      I wish I could believe that - but from BW's words, it sounds to me as if she's going to be there til Carter comes, and then she's not going to be there anymore. "She'll come back for a while" - that sounds - again, to me - as if the unspoken continuation is "and then she will be gone".
      Right, wasn't the quote: "Be recurring for a period of time"? Meaning, recurring and then back FT, or recurring and then gone altogether?

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
        This is actually no less preposterous than the writers' logic of:
        * Scantily clad bimbos = Good television
        * All female extras should be young, supple, slim and good-looking
        * A man using a mind-altering drug to, among other things, forces women who couldn't even stand him before he used the drug on them, to sleep with him could never ever be viewed as rape
        * Carson as as a regular gets less screen-time than he did as a recurring character
        * Removing (well, in Elizabeth's case, it's reducing) two characters from the show (killing one of them) and bringing in two new characters = Good TV
        * Removing/Reducing two characters won't really hurt the show because bringing in actresses from two other shows will make the numbers add up and in the end, that's all that matters. Who cares about good TV?
        Well, most of those things have worked for 24.

I like the Weir character. I think Torri is a good actor, and that she has done well with the limited time she gets. Even so, if this leads to exciting, intriguing storylines, I'm all for it.

I love 24, and even love the revolving door of supporting cast for Jack Bauer. I'd say McKay and Sheppard are Atlantis' core characters, and everyone else can be replaced.

Maybe even Sheppard.

a time to mourn

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
          Oh *insert diety* don't mention that...I could so see this turning into the Sam/McKay drama...and then I would switch the channel with a scathing letter to TPTB!

A lot of people seem to think it will be Sam/John/Rodney, I definitely see it all about Sam/Rodney which scares the daylights out of me, but let me stop presupposing on this, I'll give it a chance. *croses fingers, and tapping heels* Please let her be like Caldwell, please let her be like Caldwell, please let her be like Caldwell....
          Carter is first a scientist, so my worry is that she will actually be replacing Zelenka more than Weir. Carter and Rodney are both the "technobabble" experts on their respective shows and putting them together is a strange combination, not to mention a little of those two bickering goes a long way.

Another question is whether or not Torri will remain in the main credits. TPTB always refer to her as the "Hammond of SGA" yet Don Davis (and currently Beau Bridges) are in the main credits even though they were/are recurring, assuming that Torri as "recurring" is more than one or two episodes.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatcheter View Post
            Well, most of those things have worked for 24.

I like the Weir character. I think Torri is a good actor, and that she has done well with the limited time she gets. Even so, if this leads to exciting, intriguing storylines, I'm all for it.

I love 24, and even love the revolving door of supporting cast for Jack Bauer. I'd say McKay and Sheppard are Atlantis' core characters, and everyone else can be replaced.

Maybe even Sheppard.
            Well, I hate "24".

I Like Elizabeth Weir so I don't want Carter to replace her. The show was great to me the way it was, so why mess up with it ??? I want Weir and Beckett in Atlantis. And Caldwell too for that matter.

Comment

True, base commander had never been the centre of hte plot - but all three SGC commanders had been regulars on the show, DSD, RD and now Beau Bridges, none of them have ever been reduced to recurring.
              Also, Weir has had quite a larger part than either DSD or BB, in all three seasobn. True, there are enough episodes where she just sits there, says a coulpe of commands, shows concern for the team and that's it - but TBH, Teyla and Ronon aren't in a much better position - actually, come season 3, they both had quite less to do than Weir had. Her role isn't small because she's base commander - it has the potential - and at times actualy is - much bigger and more iportant than that. She actually go a lot more character development in these three years, I feel, than Hammond in 7.
              True, but SG1 always had a smaller cast ensemble than Atlantis. With that many characters on Atlantis, it seems to me as if they are trying to include Weir and Beckett in the stories simply because they are main characters and they have to be there. Obviously they went wrong somewhere with Weir/Atlantis because she was meant to be the driving force behind the expedition. But unfortunately, due to the way they are telling their stories, she's become anything but.

Again, I disagree. She's had a major role in every episode that took place on Atlatis, not off world - and htere have been quite a number of thsoe lately. She feels forced into the story when she's got a 2 minute scene in order to show her in the episode, but the number of these episodes has ben decreasing, not increasing.
              Going by Season 2, since I haven't seen all of Season 3 yet, I can't really recall any episode where she played a significant part (Long Goodbye doesn't really count, since it wasn't actually Weir for most part of that episode). Yet I can recall numerous times where she (and Beckett) were off-world gallivanting around with Shep and the team. Why do the Leader of the Base (an important person, someone who can't be risked) and the CMO/Chief Surgeon (again, an important/valuable person to Atlantis) go off into a time dilation field on a rescue mission?

Actually... spoilers for First Strike (S3 finale)
              Spoiler:
              from what I gather, why Weir won't be around as much will be revealed in First Strike. While I'm not sure it will be death, considering they've said she's not going to be killed off, it does sound like she's in mortal jeopardy

Comment

Spoiler:
                from what I gather, why Weir won't be around as much will be revealed in First Strike. While I'm not sure it will be death, considering they've said she's not going to be killed off, it does sound like she's in mortal jeopardy
                So was pretty much everyone in Siege Part 2, and McKay and Ronan
                Spoiler:
                in Allies
                It doesn't really mean anything.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                  So was pretty much everyone in Siege Part 2, and McKay and Ronan
                  Spoiler:
                  in Allies
                  It doesn't really mean anything.
                  Spoiler:
                  Mmm, yeah but I'm talking actual real physical jeopardy. Not 'omg are the Wraith going to kill them???'. Maybe think cliffhanger ending of BSG s1 kind of jeopardy? At least that's my impression from what I've read

Comment

I know what happens to her; I myself posted the highlights from the interview over in the News forum.

And it still doesn't mean anything until we get a context for what happens.

Comment

Its called Stargate: Atlantis, not Stargate: Wier/Carson. I for one will be tuning in and purchasing DVDs for as long as theyre producing them.

Comment

Agreed with what you said. She was an integral part of Atlantis and if she is forced off I will be very disappointed.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                          Its called Stargate: Atlantis, not Stargate: Wier/Carson. I for one will be tuning in and purchasing DVDs for as long as theyre producing them.
                          Eh. I'm not that much of a fan.

I will be tuning in and buying the DVDs as long as good stories are told about people I can connect to. There is a good chance that will happen in S4 despite my disappointment over the changes, so I will continue to watch. If I like it, I will buy the DVDs. If I don't, sayonara.

Comment

/me dons the asbesto suit...

Yeah, good riddance Weir. The only time i liked the character was in lost city.
                            On Atlantis she flat out sucks in every possible way.
                            And while they are at it, take Teyla with her, another useless character.

Comment

Going by Season 2, since I haven't seen all of Season 3 yet, I can't really recall any episode where she played a significant part (Long Goodbye doesn't really count, since it wasn't actually Weir for most part of that episode). Yet I can recall numerous times where she (and Beckett) were off-world gallivanting around with Shep and the team. Why do the Leader of the Base (an important person, someone who can't be risked) and the CMO/Chief Surgeon (again, an important/valuable person to Atlantis) go off into a time dilation field on a rescue mission?
                              I understand, to an extent, the logic that Weir as leader of the expedition would be constrained largely, but not entirely, to the city because of her responsibilities. Same with Carson as her chief surgeon. That is somewhat realistic (to the extent that this can be ). But unfortunately by the same logic, Sheppard as Military CO would also largely be a paper pusher and also restricted to the base and not gallivanting off in the PG for extended periods of time. Hence, I would've actually been happy for Carter to come in as a new expedition and base commander, and in many respects having Atlantis under military control makes some sense in the current climate in the PG. Weir could've become senior Earth diplomat (or something or whatever) and joined Team Sheppard. Sheppard and the others etc could've kept doing what they do.

I find the prospect of Weir getting less substantial content than either Ronon or Teyla have been getting, quite frankly, depressing.

Spoiler:

I'm sure that's probably the case, and when you combine the rumours for First Strike with the Mallozzi spoiler poem, your mind can run wild with possibilities.

I even considered briefly that it might've been a way for tptb to increase the suspense at the "cliffhanger." I mean if the audience knows all the cast are coming back the following season to their same roles, there's less suspense. So if you let the audience know one of them is only coming back for "some time" (whatever that is) it might be a way to get the audience wondering. However, in light of Brad Wright's comments, I give that a 2% chance of being the case, and really it would only work if the audience didn't know who Brad Wright was refering to.

In much the same way that my interest in SG1 plummeted with all the changes between S8 and S9 I'm afraid that that's what's going to happen here. I'd really like to know what is meant by "recurring" in this instance
                              sigpic

Comment

i didn't have time to read through the entire thread here, but has it been confirmed WHO'S decision this was? perhaps Torri expressed interest to stay with the show but begin to look to for other jobs? or was it a creative decision? That makes a huge difference in what the community should allow as a fan reaction.

Either way, i don't think the decision is a bad one at all. Those of you who know me (very few), know that i am a huge supporter of creative decisions. As long as it is believable, i'll go with it. most of the time i greatly enjoy it. The fact SG-1 stayed so stable as a team and group is unbelievable, albeit neccessary for a sucessful show. I love the randomness atlantis has provided us. No character is truly safe, and i really appreciate that. If this is believable, chances are i'm for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X