Irresponsible (313)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRRESPONSIBLE

Might well be what the writers were for penning this episode.

The beginning teaser was amusing – establishing some background stuff on our guys – who their heroes were – Sheppard had Evil Knievel, Rodney’s hero was Batman while Ronon had a real person (first commander) and sorry, couldn’t decipher McKay’s hero. Alas, since Teyla asked, we didn’t find out if she had one, but I wouldn’t doubt it was a real person.

The episode immediately tanked as soon as Lucius was revealed as the ‘superhero.’ I’m sorry, but Lucius was an amoral piece of slug slime for his behavior in “Irresistible.” You can’t forgive a guy for having drugged up an entire community, etc. Why didn’t his wives just kill him once they got their senses back? Talk about suspending reality. Unctuous, smarmy, etc. etc. I wouldn’t shed a tear if this guy got nailed by a wraith. In fact, I’d cheer!

And Sheppard’s team just sits around and tolerates this guy? After what he did to them? After nearly costing them their lives and the safety of Atlantis? I missed the episode where they forgave him for such horrid behavior.

I suppose the male members of the audience will be amused by watching what is going on behind Sheppard as he sat listening to Lucius outside (i.e. cleavage galore of buxom wenches. Aieeee).

You know, Rodney’s look of disgust during Lucius’ talk was pretty appropriate though.

Okay, Lucius admits to having perused a lot of stuff – hello? Security risk??? Bangs head on keyboard. They didn’t think that he might have done this while he’d drugged up the base??

Oh come on, and the team is excusing his behavior and think he’s turned over a new leaf when all his behavior indicates he hasn’t and never will?

T here was a lot of well, obvious plotting – the fake attack on the village, the rescue. Even Sheppard had that figured out quickly. I did like how McKay turned around and nearly got run over by Ronon as the team left the village.

Snort, Cowan’s personal guards hiring themselves as rent-a-thugs. Pretty ironic.

Okay, I liked how Sheppard went for petty revenge and dragged back the broken-wrist thug to spill the beans about the fake attack, but sigh, that village is full of idiots, thinking Lucius is such hot stuff.
    Some good dialogue:

Lucius: “So go ahead, shoot him.’
    Sheppard: (readies gun) “Good idea.”

When asked why they didn’t rescue the village before…
    Teyla: We were concerned for the safety of the village
    Ronon: Now we don’t care.

Kolya…. It’s great to see him again, but…. He was really wasted in this episode because of Lucius. I would have killed to have seen a nice gritty cat and mouse episode between him and Kolya, the team really being threatened (it was done so dryly here one could nearly yawn in response). While there was some good tension in the final scene between Kolya and Shep, you KNEW who was gonna drop. Yeah, I did want a gritty, cat-and-mouse chase episode. What a waste L

Meanwhile, while Sheppard has not always made brilliant decisions (hence, his being in the Pegasus Galaxy in the first place). Eegads, I’m sorry, but the first tactical maneuver an enemy does is block your means of escape. I missed the scene where Sheppard got bonked on the head, forgot basic TV plots, and went all the way out to the gate to go ‘oh darn, it’s guarded. Shucks.’ ARGH!!!!

And the segment of Sheppard and Lucius heading back to the village, on the very exposed path, arguing could probably be heard a mile away. ARGH AGAIN!

The townspeople were, um, well, village idiots. I mean, at least Lucius’ other village was drugged. What’s their excuse for such incredible stupidity? It’s not like they’re watching TV 24/7 and burning out their brain cells? Inbreeding? What??

Lucius is slime. He was quite ready to abandon his own village to Kolya and his soldiers, didn’t give a rat’s ass about Shep’s team (and hello? Shep was right next to him when he admitted it).

Best thing about this episode: it’s over.

Worst thing: The writers could be idiotic and think Lucius is a great character to bring back.

Overall, it was more forgettable than anything else, and I can’t summon the energy to waste to hate it as it had a few good bit, but that’ss really sad as I expect better of SGA, but then I don’t expect a lot out of Mallozzi & Mullie after they penned “The Tower” and some other more forgettable SG1 episodes.

Missed opportunities: Kolya tortured Sheppard, probably put him through the worst experience of his life and there’s not a single mention of why Sheppard is keen on shooting him. Kolya’s demise should have been handled in its own episode (yeah, I’m beating a dead horse, I know). I would have at least expected Teyla to say it’s not the time to seek revenge and risk the villagers’ lives.

While this episode had some fun moments, the rest was predestrian, mind-boggling in that the team didn’t turn an about-face and leave immediately upon seeing Lucius (yeah, yeah, they wanted to check for the drug first but still they could have left -

Can we NOT have this character ever appear again? Can Mallozzi and Mullie realize that SGA viewers aren’t all sitcom viewers? Enough with the self-centered campy humor with obnoxious characters. Can we have scripts that make our heroes – Shep’s team – look smarter than the average low-watt appliance bulb??

Sigh.

Comment

I am so not the guy to be answering technical questions. I can't even get my toaster to brown both sides of the bread equally.

Comment

Originally posted by ken_is_here View Post
        To be fair to Joe and Paul --

I have to say that the script for "Irresponsible" was without a doubt the funniest I had read of the entire season. Seriously -- I was on the floor more than once. I loved this script. But, as with all productions, there are miscommunications along the way, and sometimes -- through nobody's fault - the tone and nuance doesn't always get translated to the screen.

I'll give you one example. This was meant to take place in more of a western kind of town. Thus the high noon-inspired finale. But when it came time to find a location we found ourselves settling for more of a dutch village. It didn't really have the same sense of gravitas -- but that couldn't be helped.

There were many more little instances of this that went on -- and it's unfortunate, because if the original production script had been fully realized on screen, I think you would all be jumping for joy that J&P were spearheading the fourth season of SGA. It was that good!

And I say this unbiased and unsolicited -- as my involvement with season four will likely be minimal to non-existant, due to the cancellation of SG-1.

Ken C
        Well, that really sucks (to be blunt). Your episode was one of favs of all of SGA, and "Irresistible" is probably my least favorite.

And to be honest....

Unfortunately, many of us were happy M&M weren't on SGA full time - I happen to like Carl Binder's work a lot more than M&M. I saw enough revamped 'homages' (cough cough, rewritten movies) in the latter season of SG1 to not want those particular writers putzing about on the SGA show.

First Paul McGillion is gone, now we're losing good writers to get... sigh. I want more episodes like "Common Ground" and "Echoes," not this irresponsible stuff.

Comment

I am so not the guy to be answering technical questions. I can't even get my toaster to brown both sides of the bread equally.
          That doesn't sound like a good toaster Sounds like you stole the yucky one we have at work. Takes five minutes to toast a bagel!

Comment

I never.... I never thought I would witness a worse writing team than Berman&Bragga. This episode makes the last episode of Enterprise look like a masterpiece.

Worst.
            Writers.
            Ever.

Comment

There wouldn't be any.

EDIT: to jenks.

Comment

Bless you! I struggle to get my toaster to find a happy medium between warm bread and burnt!

Sooooo... while you're here... rather OT for this thread... can you give us any hints on your upcoming Season 3 eps? E.g. The Ark? *smiles winsomely*
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jenks
                  Is there anyone here who has seen it but isn't from Canada?
                  What do you think? And please consider very carefully what you post next before you go breaking any GW rules....
                  sigpic

Comment

I feel your pain on the toast

By Kidwizz

By JessM

Comment

I just noticed something interesting that escaped my notice on first viewing of Irresponsible (yes, I am watching it again ):

The reason why Sheppard was so calm about the attack on the village and not bothered about letting the "bandits" disarm them etc....

He saw that the chambers of the gun pointed at him were empty. He knew right then that the weapons weren't loaded and that this was all a scam...

Apols if I'm being utterly thick and everyone else got that straight away!
                      sigpic

Comment

that was awful!! why did I watch that?! Call me fickle, but I wanted Kolya to go out in style. Not in some Lucius Sequel episode...I liked the first one but this was woeful. There were a couple of good things...

I liked seeing a personal shield again, despite the many accompanying plot holes. The last few moments of the episode...only time I laughed and with good reason. Batman!! Hee. Rodney is obviously a DC comics boy. And Caz never says no to her thunk Beckett being all strong against bad guys.

Wasted Kolya and Shep interaction, considering Common Ground. Bah.

Overall very ho-hum and boring, not to mention painful to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                          Sorry, didn't mean to come across as patronising or telling you what to do - just was worried you were getting seriously put off the ep by all the negative comments on it.
                          No worries, I figure the best way to deal with this episode is mock it in advance and you try to counter me with LOGIC??!! For shame!!

I'll be glad to lend you mine, but I don't think you'll like the results.

Comment

Sorry! I'm behind and quoting stuff from pages back!

To be fair to Joe and Paul --
                            I'll give you one example. This was meant to take place in more of a western kind of town. Thus the high noon-inspired finale. But when it came time to find a location we found ourselves settling for more of a dutch village. It didn't really have the same sense of gravitas -- but that couldn't be helped.
                            Wow, the episode makes a lot more sense having read this. Thanks! I really didn't get any kind of western feel from it until the final "shootout" which seemed more of an out of place gag than part of the whole. But now that I think about it, the whole setup of Lucius' heroism fits with that.

I'm not sure it would have worked out anyway though. For one thing, westerns don't seem to have the depth required to properly deal with the Sheppard/Kolya dynamic. Granted, I'm really not a fan of westerns, but the episode was supposed to be funny, right? Sheppard and Kolya is like Obi Wan and Vader... funny doesn't seem to fit. Plus (and maybe this is a chick thing) Lucius isn't funny...he's just creepy.

Anyway, some enjoyable moments, including the bittersweet joy of Beckett with actual lines and rodney not saving the day (I love the guy, but the writers do get a little Mary-Sue with him on occasion) and Ronon being snarky, which I love because it validates all the episodes where he didn't really do or say anything but watching his body language you could tell that he's about as sarcastic as McKay, but not a great episode overall. Wow, I may not like westerns, but I do love my run on sentences
                            Visit these links:
                            Doctors without Borders --- Amnesty International --- ICotRC --- UNICEF --- Oxfam
                            ______________________________________________________________________________

In the democracy of the dead all men at last are equal.
                            There is neither rank nor station nor prerogative in the republic of the grave.
                            ~John James Ingalls

Geek Forever!!!!!!!

Comment

What an awful episode. I don't even know where to begin, in fact - I'm not going to bother.

+ Kolya
                              + All those hot busty chicks wearing traditional German outfits.

- Kolya getting killed like that
                              - Everything else

2/10. Waste of time.
                              We're whalers on the moon,
                              We carry a harpoon.
                              But there ain't no whales
                              So we tell tall tales
                              And sing our whaling tune.

Comment

I've had to delete yet MORE illegal download talk - no matter how clever you think you're being - any post even remotely hinting at supplying illegal download links will be deleted, and the poster placed on moderation (which prevents PM-ing as well).
                                We will not have this site shut down because of downloading talk.

Comment

Working...
                                X