Irresponsible (313)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trialia View Post
    Honestly, Ali, I don't care whether you in particular think my argument is credible or not, because you don't listen to me two-thirds of the time when I say anything anyway.
    Now who's not listening? I didn't say your argument was not credible, I said the way you were seeming to place blame on me - or "people like" me, when you don't know enough about me to know what I'm "like" - for reluctance to report sexual abuse does not help the credibility of your argument.

I do listen, you see - I just often happen to disagree.. if that bothers you then I'm sorry but you know what they say about opinions... everyone's got one.

I'm honoured to be on your ignore list.

However, as I already mentioned, waaaaaay off topic here.

So... how bout that Irresponsible then?

Did I mention that I really enjoyed Ronon in this - he seemed to be given a little more to do than the usual stoicism or simmering anger.. his "hero" comment at the beginning was wonderful...
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RecycledFunk View Post

For example: Look at McKay's allergies. Those of us that have life-threatening food allergies have to deal with it every single day. It's not a joke. It's embarrassing, inconvenient and down-right frightening. Anaphylaxis is a serious matter and it's awareness is practically nonexistent by those who aren't threatened with it.
      I'm surprised they haven't had an episode where McKay gets Anaphylaxis because I was under the impression he has a lot of allergies.

Comment

[QUOTE=Alipeeps;6076313
        Did I mention that I really enjoyed Ronon in this - he seemed to be given a little more to do than the usual stoicism or simmering anger.. his "hero" comment at the beginning was wonderful... [/QUOTE]

yeah he was good in this ep when talking about his hero lol my fave line from him was when he said we well have to kill them all im ok with that by the way lol

Comment

Oh, I'm listening. I'm just still a little sick from that accidental overdose, so if I missed anything and generalised inadvertently rather more than I intended, I apologise for that. I'm not laying any blame on people for not wanting to report sexual assault if it happens to them - what I am saying is that perpetuating the societal attitude that it's something to be ashamed of is a wrong thing to do. And I stand by that.

Ronon is getting a better character as time goes on, I agree with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Luz View Post
            Couldn't it be like in the Eye when he got shot, and then he appeared later, and it had only been the shoulder?.
            lol well thats what i think he was taken a way petty fast when he got shot i think or we dident say any more of him in the ep

Comment

Originally posted by psychofilly View Post
              It's a valid point and actually has to do with the episode, so go on and make it. I've seen several posts that have stated the exact same thing. I agree. I got the point that John had finally learned his lesson. Kolya needed to die, but it didn't seem personal. After Common Ground, it should have been more personal for John.

John's not like Caldwell. (I love Caldwell's attitude in Echoes. If the whales are killing you, then extinct the sons of *****es... problem solved!). Anyway, John has always, deep down been lead by emotion and his own moral compass. Kolya really jacked with both. I was definitely looking for more of a reaction.
              Oh, Coldwell. I grant the benefit of the doubt about Coldwell, that he's such a fascilitator character that it doesn't matter that they turned him into a Goa'uld in one episode and three episodes later it only rewarded him with a couple of comments, no actual substance for the character. that pissed me off to no end, btu then again, he's a side cahracter to make the stry flow, so okay.

I agree competely about John. He should be much more passionate. But I don't see it. Definitely don't see it in Irresponsible - he reacted to Kolya as if he was just another bad guy. Even killing Kolya didn't feel personal, and no western montage is going to change that. Y'know what, I coudl have survived the lack of facial/ body language on his dealigns with Kolya had there been a scene to close that up, like... the tag scene for Before I Sleep, maybe. that was a great "I'm tryign to deal with it" moment for Weir. When there's no comment about it, at all, it turns Sheppard into a very 2 dimensional character -"Kolya is a bad guy so he must die, I have no rpoblem with what I did or how things played out".

[/rant]
              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
              Yes, I am!
              sigpic
              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Pitry... I agree. There wasn't enough personal venom between the two of them in this episode as there had been before, as there should have been, which is kind of what made it so anti-climactic a confrontation.

Comment

Originally posted by RecycledFunk View Post
                  I honestly think it just never crossed the writers' minds that Lucius' actions would be taken this way.

For example: Look at McKay's allergies. Those of us that have life-threatening food allergies have to deal with it every single day. It's not a joke. It's embarrassing, inconvenient and down-right frightening. Anaphylaxis is a serious matter and it's awareness is practically nonexistent by those who aren't threatened with it.

Now, maybe I should be offended by the writers for making McKay's allergies a bit of a joke. But you know, I LOL'd when Cam threatened Rodney with a lemon, cuz it was dang funny!

But that doesn't mean I wouldn't love to see the writers do their part for Anaphylaxis awareness and show the public exactly what happens to someone when they're attacked by it. I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong) a series has ever had a main character with this condition and I think the writers are in a perfect position to make use of it. It would make the FAAN's job a little easier and make a lot of fans happy (and not just the Rodney Whumpers!).

Uh, I did have a point here somewhere...Ah! Yeah. Irresistible wasn't meant to address the subject of rape. Pegasus Project wasn't meant to address the subject of Anaphylaxis. I do believe that should the writers ever choose to address either subject, it would be done with professionalism and sensitivity.

I hope.
                  That is a very good point. Thanks for that. I have a niece who has a deadly nut allergy - and it really is a LOT more dangerous and restricting than you could ever believe if you hadn't intimate experience with it... I was stunned for example to realise that her mother has to be careful what face cream she buys in case it were to contain nut oil and her daughter were to kiss her goodnight and... you see? Really serious, deadly stuff that could equally be said to be not taken seriously enough by the public etc... and the show has very definitely made light of it - in particular in The Pegasus Project (okay, I know it's a SG1 ep but bear with me, it did involve an SGA character after all) but I laughed at that moment.

Yes, on deeper examination of the ep I can certainly agree that food allergy is a serious subject and the ep can be considered to have treated it lightly and detracted from the seriousness of the issue - but on the other hand I can also accept that this is an entertainment show and that the writers never had any intent to deal in any way with such a serious issue and that, whilst it may be unfortunate that they inadvertently in some way could be said to have trivialised a serious issue, I can take the show on face value.

That is pretty much my feelings on Irrestible too... (see, the above ramble was kinda on topic... )
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                    That is a very good point. Thanks for that. I have a niece who has a deadly nut allergy - and it really is a LOT more dangerous and restricting than you could ever believe if you hadn't intimate experience with it... I was stunned for example to realise that her mother has to be careful what face cream she buys in case it were to contain nut oil and her daughter were to kiss her goodnight and... you see? Really serious, deadly stuff that could equally be said to be not taken seriously enough by the public etc... and the show has very definitely made light of it - in particular in The Pegasus Project (okay, I know it's a SG1 ep but bear with me, it did involve an SGA character after all) but I laughed at that moment.

Yes, on deeper examination of the ep I can certainly agree that food allergy is a serious subject and the ep can be considered to have treated it lightly and detracted from the seriousness of the issue - but on the other hand I can also accept that this is an entertainment show and that the writers never had any intent to deal in any way with such a serious issue and that, whilst it may be unfortunate that they inadvertently in some way could be said to have trivialised a serious issue, I can take the show on face value.

That is pretty much my feelings on Irrestible too... (see, the above ramble was kinda on topic... )
                    I'm sorry if I'm going to sound blind to allergic people's problems - I'm not honestly, and while I don't know personally what a burden it is I can see where you're coming from - but I think the differnece ebtween making fun of rape and making fun of allergies is the point Triala was trying to make.

No allergic person is being blamed as a person who brought this upon himself. o allergic person is being under continuous attack from other people (supporters of the rapist/ sexual harrasor, his family, etc). I specifically think right now of more public cases, as both a minister and the president of Israel, where I live, are prolly going to end up in trial for rape/ sexual harrassement, and you see some people's reactinos, you get that point quite clear. Unliek allergies, or murder victims, the example I gave somewhere 4 pages or so ago - rape/ sexual harrassement victims are in a continuous fight agaisnt a lot of other people. That area is so much greyer. Which is exactly why makign light of rape would earn you much more backlash than any other thing. It's stilld eveloping, it's still not taken for granted, it's still sensitive enough that turning it into a comedy - or ignoring it for the sake of comedy, which is what happened in Irresistable - is much more dangerous.
                    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                    Yes, I am!
                    sigpic
                    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by lord-anubis View Post
                      yeah he was good in this ep when talking about his hero lol my fave line from him was when he said we well have to kill them all im ok with that by the way lol
                      Oh goodness, I loved that line! So down to earth and typically Ronon...
                      sigpic

Comment

This would be cool to write though, simply because it would be really super duper cool to see Rodney go down hard and have the rest of his team deal with it.

It feels like they tease him about it because they simply have never seen it. While I don't think the show is in any way trying to trivialize it. (I had to roll my eyes at all the LEMON OF DOOM posts on Live Journal at the time). I do think it would be interesting for the show to go there. It would be a nice way to show how regular problems can be compounded by living in another galaxy and being on an active gate team. It could even be in the teaser as a way to get Rodney sidelined for an episode focusing on another character. (Not that getting shot in the gluteous maximus slowed him down much).

Part of it is that I wish the show would deal a little more with the realities of being out so far with only a tenuous connection to earth. Of course I'm still waiting for the Losties to run out of deoderant and soap and they get around that, so why not SGA too.
                        sigpic

Comment

Personally I think bringing up such an issue at a con Q&A is wrong, especially if there are children in the audience. I respect your want...even need because of strong feelings to bring it up in public. But at the end of the day SGA is (supposed to be) a family show. I'm not a mother, but having such abuse in the family I know its an issue I would NOT want discussed in front of my child by strangers. Besides being a 'personally interupted aspect of the show' did you stop to think of the effect such discussions would have on others? Not to mention Joe is an ACTOR, he portrays what he gets paid for, he has no real say over the writing and is told by the director how to interupt the script within reason. Asking NJS far does, he's a producer, he gets paid to take the heat. But asking JF, I personally find that incredibly unfair. Plus YOU may be happy to shout about it in public but there may have been others in the audience who have also suffered such abuse who may have been upset by it. its not a taboo subject, its just a very sensitive one that should be dealt with with sensitivity and respect. One of the reasons people seem so pissed by Iressistable is it not?

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                            I'm sorry if I'm going to sound blind to allergic people's problems - I'm not honestly, and while I don't know personally what a burden it is I can see where you're coming from - but I think the differnece ebtween making fun of rape and making fun of allergies is the point Triala was trying to make.

No allergic person is being blamed as a person who brought this upon himself. o allergic person is being under continuous attack from other people (supporters of the rapist/ sexual harrasor, his family, etc). I specifically think right now of more public cases, as both a minister and the president of Israel, where I live, are prolly going to end up in trial for rape/ sexual harrassement, and you see some people's reactinos, you get that point quite clear. Unliek allergies, or murder victims, the example I gave somewhere 4 pages or so ago - rape/ sexual harrassement victims are in a continuous fight agaisnt a lot of other people. That area is so much greyer. Which is exactly why makign light of rape would earn you much more backlash than any other thing. It's stilld eveloping, it's still not taken for granted, it's still sensitive enough that turning it into a comedy - or ignoring it for the sake of comedy, which is what happened in Irresistable - is much more dangerous.
                            I see your point, I do - I just thought it was an interesting comparison.
                            sigpic

Comment

but on the other hand I can also accept that this is an entertainment show and that the writers never had any intent to deal in any way with such a serious issue and that, whilst it may be unfortunate that they inadvertently in some way could be said to have trivialised a serious issue, I can take the show on face value.
                              maybe the difference between a food allergy (even a severe one) and the rape issue is that more people have experienced rape/sexual abuse than have had allergies severe enough to kill them. So people jump on the trivialisation of the rape issue a lot faster.

Comment

TJuk - yes, I did thoroughly consider the ramifications of what I was doing before I did it.

Just so you're aware, nobody actually complained directly to me after the talk, and I was recognisable enough in green face paint, but two women came up to me and said I was brave for speaking out like that and one said she wished she could have done it herself.

I know too many people personally who've been affected negatively by this episode to let it slide under the carpet.

Also, I didn't ask JF specifically, he just happened to be the first to respond to the question.

Comment

Working...
                                X