Irresponsible (313)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
    But why should you leave? Those who have kids and are family oriented may like to include their children in a trip to a Con. At Manchester there were stars from Lord of The Rings, The A Team, Star Trek: Next Generation to name a few, and these are all films/shows kids like!

Oh yes and Harry Potter guests....good job young kids wouldnt be want to go to an event like that ....

Comment

Originally posted by Amalthia View Post
      you know I'm sure most parents want to be able to sit down and discuss things with their kids and not get blindsided...but life's kind of unpredictable.

Also, parents/adults should know that drugging someone and having sex with them is rape. Not caring is one thing, but not being aware of it??? Just make sure when you have that conversation with your child you let him/her know if they do have sex with someone that's been drugged or is falling down drunk they better not tell any police officers because they'll get arrested. (I majored in Criminal Justice and a few of my former professors used to be police officers and they said they arrested quite a few people who admitted they had sex with drunk girls/women not realizing it was a crime....scary.)
      Just read through my poll. It's filled with people who don't seem to understand that it's a very, very bad and considered rape when you do that.

Comment

Okay, you just cracked me up with that "boobs do not equal characterisation" comment, Mel. Thank you! After a day and a half of feeling the crap I managed to bring on myself with the med-slip, I feel so much better after seeing this.

I'm off to meet a fellow GWer in an hour or so and I have more to do than to catch up with threads right now, but I will when I get back.

Just one more thing, for the time being-- The Real World? I think you can tell by the existence of the fanlisting for it that there are quite a few people who love it.

Comment

Originally posted by jerkface View Post
          This "what have you done for me lately" attitude on the villagers' part might have worked with the idea that they needed to learn to defend themselves if it had been played up more. Yet as Lavin kept acting self-serving and manipulative, and the villagers kept falling for it, I couldn't really feel sorry for either them or him.
          It actually could have worked much better had they not been portrayed as the naive villagers but rather as the less-tha-naive villagers, taking advantage of Lucius as much as he was aking advantage of them
          Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
          Yes, I am!
          sigpic
          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
          Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
            But why should you leave? Those who have kids and are family oriented may like to include their children in a trip to a Con. At Manchester there were stars from Lord of The Rings, The A Team, Star Trek: Next Generation to name a few, and these are all films/shows kids like! There are no age limitations or warnings, so it is deemed suitable for all. At the Con I went to in London there were children there, a couple even asked Joe questions at the Q & A. Stargate Atlantis is marketed as a family show, thus kids enjoy it. My own 10 year old has been watching it since it began and is a big fan, and I see nothing in it that's unsuitable for her. BSG, for example, would be another matter.
            Would I have been upset if she had listened to the poster who asked about the alleged sexual assault stuff at the Manchester Con? Nope. I personally wouldn't have had a problem with it, as she wouldn't have understood what was being asked. However, once the question had been asked and answered by the panel, then it should've been been politely dropped. Just because you don't want the answer you're given, isn't a reason to carry on going on about sexual assault once the panel have answered. Whether people like it or not, TPTB have stated on several occasions that it was never their intention to trivialise rape, and have said that's not what Irresistible was about from their perspectives. What else can they say? If people are expecting an apology from the Execs, then I think they're being unrealistic. After all, we all interpret things differently, and just because some see events one way, and others don't doesn't mean there's anything to apologise for in my opinion. Whether posters enjoyed the episode is another matter entirely! I can't ever see any Exec apologising because we, as fans, didn't like the episode they put out.
            As far as Irresponsible goes, I still am disappointed with it, but it has nothing to do with Irrestistible. I don't like Lucius. I tolerated him in Irresistible, but putting him and Kolya together was still a massive error in judgment in my opinion. It trivialised Kolya, in my eyes, and I still am apoplectic at the way he was disposed of. That, for me, was such a waste of a character and good drama!!!!
            Because the world is not centered around kids and the world is not built to be kid-friendly in every aspect.

Let's go back to the TV analogy. People say "At least home I can turn it off". But there are still TV shows and ads that aren't suitable for smaller children (children who don't understand the concepts of sex and rape yet) on TV during "kiddie hours" (anytime before 9 P.M.).

So what do you do if such a thing pops up while your kid is watching? You switch the channel. Even if you might've wanted to see it yourself.

It's the same with Cons. If someone brings up something you feel your kid shouldn't hear, leave (at least 'til the question has been resolved).

People shouldn't have to walk on egg shells and angle everything they say so that your kids won't overhear something "bad". That's not how the world works.

"The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King" had a huge controversy where some people wanted to put a 15 yearold age limit on it. But in the they I believe they settled for 11. Star Trek deals with violence and sex all the time (hello, Kirk). The A-Team is a very violent show with lots of violence.

Now kids might like the shows and movies. But it doesn't mean they are made for kids or that they don't contain elements kids younger than 11 might not want to see.

Bottom line is, you bring your kid to Con for things they are clearly too young to be watching, be prepared to steer them clear of certain discussions. Your kid is almost 11. Kids should know what sex and rape are at 11 so that they don't go out and go either.

I'm arguing about how the issue was handled. I'm arguing against some people's outrage that the issue was brought up at all when "there were kids present" as if that'd invalidate the issue.

Originally posted by SLC View Post
            Well actually I guess it depends where you were sitting? They do pack people in and there is not much leg room - you cant just get past everyone without having to ask to be excused.

I also think that maybe the option to turn the TV off applies to adults too. I know that some were really traumatised by watching Irresistible but then tuned in to watch Irresponsible....that is something that I really do not understand at all. Personally I would not subject myself to that.
            I make a point out of watching every single episode of my shows. I don't skip the ones I'm sure to hate because I don't want to one day miss what's going on because I didn't watch X and Y episodes. Doesn't mean I didn't loathe both "Irresistible" and "Irresponsible", though.

It seems every Atlantis season's got 1-2 ultra-bad episodes which I completely loathe (and which for once are loathed by a lot of other people, too). And they almost always have some guy walking around having sex with super-bimboes.

Comment

Before I go -- Linzi, I'm the one who asked that question at the Manchester con, and I did not speak any further about it that day, or in public offline, after asking the question and having it answered. Just to correct your assumption.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post

I make a point out of watching every single episode of my shows. I don't skip the ones I'm sure to hate because I don't want to one day miss what's going on because I didn't watch X and Y episodes. Doesn't mean I didn't loathe both "Irresistible" and "Irresponsible", though.

It seems every Atlantis season's got 1-2 ultra-bad episodes which I completely loathe (and which for once are loathed by a lot of other people, too). And they almost always have some guy walking around having sex with super-bimboes.

Oh I agree with you. I watch every episode of SGA - because I love the show....some eps more than others. I assume however that you were not one of those who had weeks of torment following on from Irresistible and for whom Richard Kind brings up bad memories. For those I believe that going back for seconds and watching another epsiode was ....well Irresponsible!

Comment

Oh I agree with you. I watch every episode of SGA - because I love the show....some eps more than others. I assume however that you were not one of those who had weeks of torment following on from Irresistible and for whom Richard Kind brings up bad memories. For those I believe that going back for seconds and watching another epsiode was ....well Irresponsible!
                  I had months of loathing following "Irresistible". In fact, I still loathe and am mad at it.

Just like I still loathe "The Tower", "Epiphany" and "Sanctuary" (the aforementioned Bimbo-episodes). I never had anxiety issues over it, but that didn't stop me from spewing hatred over it.

However, I didn't really post that much about it. Not 'til "Irresponsible", which reignited my loathing.

Comment

I had months of loathing following "Irresistible". In fact, I still loathe and am mad at it.

Just like I still loathe "The Tower", "Epiphany" and "Sanctuary" (the aforementioned Bimbo-episodes). I never had anxiety issues over it, but that didn't stop me from spewing hatred over it.

However, I didn't really post that much about it. Not 'til "Irresponsible", which reignited my loathing.
                    I cant say any of those eps are my favorites either (although I think Epiphany is not bad in parts ). I think hating something is one thing - but having anxiety issues and continuing to watch is another and there are people here that are in that position.

I think I can safely say in your case you should continue to watch and loathe away as you feel appropriate.......I am pretty sure (okay hopeful) that we have seen the last of Lucius and I am sure that the rest of season 3 will be awesome......okay not as good as Common Ground but still maybe Bimbo free...so I hope you feel more love in the weeks to follow

Comment

I cant say any of those eps are my favorites either (although I think Epiphany is not bad in parts ). I think hating something is one thing - but having anxiety issues and continuing to watch is another and there are people here that are in that position.

I think I can safely say in your case you should continue to watch and loathe away as you feel appropriate.......I am pretty sure (okay hopeful) that we have seen the last of Lucius and I am sure that the rest of season 3 will be awesome......okay not as good as Common Ground but still maybe Bimbo free...so I hope you feel more love in the weeks to follow
                      Or we've stumbled upon a frightening pattern.

Consider this:
                      Statistics of Bimbo Episodes of Stargate Atlantis:
                      Season 1 - "Sanctuary" (count: 1)
                      Season 2 - "Epiphany", "The Tower" (count: 2)
                      Season 3 - "Irresistible", "Irresponsible" (count: 2... so far)

If there's a real pattern, we're in for a third Bimbo episode this season!

Comment

Consider this:

Ummmmmm well I cant see it happening from all the spoilers I have read about s3, but keep that possibility open and we will touch base on that when the season is over

Comment

Originally posted by macktheknife View Post
                          Maybe a writer will notice it..

Weir - How was your trading mission.
                          Sheppard - They were fair and just traders, just like Teyla's people said they would be. Unlike the last 2 worlds the Athosians told us about.
                          Teyla - Yes.. those were quite unfortunate "incidents".
                          McKay - Incidents! I was almost killed three times!
                          Ronon - You were hiding behind me the whole time.
                          McKay - Well I was trying to fix the quantam phase shiftlocator. With substandard tools I might add.
                          Weird - At least you all came back safe and sound...
                          Lol, that was good.

I do get it, though, that from references in the eps Alantis gets to meet real fair and just traders as a matter of course, meaning we're only going to see an episode (I hope) about the missions in which the mess hits the fan. Otherwise ... yawn.

Comment

Consider this:

The only redeeming features of Epiphany, IMHO, were Elizabeth offworld actually USING her linguistic skills and that last scene just before and after the Ancients' ascension. (Did you SEE the look on her face when she looked at Teer? I think she might have had some of the same "HURT!" urges I did )

But, the other four you've mentioned are all on my "I can not watch this rubbish" list.

Dammit, why am I still online?! *runs*

Comment

Spoiler:
                              The last Geni story.
                              School is overrated.

Comment

7/10

IMHO this episode was not as bad as most made it out to be.

At least LL wasn’t date-rape-drugging females to sleep with him in this one.

Just as some one else mentioned this episode did seem to be an homage to “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly”.

I could totally see LL as Tuco, Kolya as Angel Eyes, and Shepard as Blondie.

All they realy needed to make it work in the way they intended would have been a location/costumes that were more “wild west” looking, and for Lavin to exclaim at the end (upon being kicked in the groin after the shield was depleted)…”SHEPARD! YOU MESSY HAIRED SON OF A…” * Ennio Morricone composition plays as Shep & the team walks off into the sunset*

That would have been priceless.
                                sigpic
                                Spoiler:
                                Me: “I just wanted to take the Staten Island Ferry…I wasn’t expecting the extraordinary rendition.”
                                *Three DHS guys dressed in black pop out of nowhere. *
                                DHS: “NOBODY EVER EXPECTS THE EXTRAORDINARY RENDITION!!!”
                                DHS: “Our chief weapons are shock-n-awe, enhanced interrogation techniques, and the suspension of habeas corpus.”

Comment

Working...
                                X