Tao of Rodney (314)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rohan View Post
    However as you stated, morality is an issue here. But if we go with Loki's method (Fragile Balance), it's a bit more stomach-able in relation to volunteers. If this is purely observation, blank clone slates.
    Sure, but cloning blank slate humans to experiment on them is something the real world United States would not allow, and I don't think Stargate's fictional U.S. is so far removed that it would hold a different view. While cloning humans is not a federal crime, there are politicians involved in the Stargate program's decision making process who would have to answer to their voters if any of this came out.

There's also a very real possibility that a criminal case could be brought against anyone who conducts dangerous experiments on a human clone. It's an untested area of the law, but the uncertainty of whether someone would end up facing murder charges should prevent a not insignificant portion of scientists, military officers, etc., from sticking a human clone on something that has a chance of melting the subject into protoplasm.

However the intention is using the machine for it's side effects and not it's end goal. So if Rodney knows the machine will work fine for him he can just artificially evolve himself then reset when things get dangerous. Thus rinse and repeat. Not very convenient. But you take whatever advantage you can.
    Indeed, but if they don't know for sure whether or not the side effects are random for the individual, Rodney would be taking a big risk by putting himself back in that machine. That was my point in noting that I don't think the Ancients ever tested the device on the same person.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post

Sure, but cloning blank slate humans to experiment on them is something the real world United States would not allow, and I don't think Stargate's fictional U.S. is so far removed that it would hold a different view. While cloning humans is not a federal crime, there are politicians involved in the Stargate program's decision making process who would have to answer to their voters if any of this came out.

There's also a very real possibility that a criminal case could be brought against anyone who conducts dangerous experiments on a human clone. It's an untested area of the law, but the uncertainty of whether someone would end up facing murder charges should prevent a not insignificant portion of scientists, military officers, etc., from sticking a human clone on something that has a chance of melting the subject into protoplasm.
      Touche. But it does bring up an intriguing argument in relation to a manga I read in which said scientist was creating clones of himself to experiment on. Thus, is it unethical to do the experiment on 'yourself'?. But then we will be entering identity metaphysics and it would be best to avoid those since they exist in a self contained paradox.

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
      Indeed, but if they don't know for sure whether or not the side effects are random for the individual, Rodney would be taking a big risk by putting himself back in that machine. That was my point in noting that I don't think the Ancients ever tested the device on the same person.
      But then that makes me curious if they could put a petridish with human blood in it to test it. It was designed to mutate DNA. So technically an actual subject might not be needed to see the end result. But yes, the Ancients probably rolled the dice on this one with an all or nothing gamble.

Comment

Tao of Rodney next up in beveridge16's first official watch-through!

Comment

"Where's Zelenka? What the hell's he been doing?!"

Another entertaining 'McKay' episode! Hewlett fantastic as always. Totally agree with McKay about the Ancients- why bother wasting the minimal power they did have left on systems not even in use?

Absolutely love the long shots of Atlantis lit up at night too!

In conclusion, I'm pleased that McKay is now aware how much he means to the team ????

Comment

Sorry about those four question marks on the last post, I don't recall posting it with those, hmmm.

Comment

Working...
            X